PDA

View Full Version : Frog Gigger

flop-n-jerk
08-30-2009, 01:06 PM
How many tines or prongs or points or whatever they are called is preferred. My local store has them with 3, 4, and 5. They are all under $5, which one would be better for general purpose useage? Like fish, snakes, or any other critter that got close enough.

Sourdough
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I would like to own one or two, does anyone know the best place to Mail Order them from. $5.00 sounds cheap.....but I have NO idea what they sell for.

Rick
08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I used to gig all the time when I was younger. I haven't done it since I graduated high school...yes, I actually graduated. If I remember correctly, I had a 4 tine gig. I don't know that one would work any better than the other. We just used whatever we could get. Everyone seemed to be equally good (or bad) with whatever they were using. If guys went with us that didn't have a gig they just made a gig out of long sapling. That works pretty good, too and gives you a two barbed gig.

Hope, I Goggled some and here is a cheap one:

http://www.gofastandlight.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FI-H-4FROG&variation=

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-30-2009, 03:19 PM
I have one for my bob, I just keep the spearpoint with no shaft, the bolt and a drill bit to allow me to attach it to a sappling.

Sourdough
08-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Hope, I Goggled some and here is a cheap one:

http://www.gofastandlight.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FI-H-4FROG&variation=

Looks like something "SafeZone, LLC" should carry......?

Rick
08-30-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd probably wind up hurting myself with it.

I only hunted for trophy frogs. Regular frogs were everywhere. It was the special ones we were after....

http://www.barryandstuart.com/wp-content/uploads/frog.jpg

Ole WV Coot
08-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Frog gigs are usually green, cheap thin metal and three prongs. Fish gigs are heavier, more metal & thicker tins, only the center on a 5 prong has barbs on both sides, other 4 have one barb toward the inside. 4 prong has single prongs, single barbs pointed toward the center. The frog gig is usually flimsy, don't take much for them.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Your right Coot. Mine is actually a fish spear/gig now that I gave it some thought it is heavy duty and 5 pronged.

Sarge47
08-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Those things look dangerous! Try this instead: 1st get a nice piece of tree limb about the size and weight of a policeman's billy club. Then get a nice thin "fishing pole" size branch. Then strip out a 10' or so strand from the inside of some 550 cord & tie one end to the end of the "fishing pole." Tie a small leaf onto the other end of the string; hunker down & sneak up on the frog; hold your pole out and dangle the leaf around the frog like it's a flying insect. I've had them jump right out of the water and up the bank chasing the silly thing. When they're close enough use your club on 'em! Ummm, supper! Yummy! :cool2:

Rick
08-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Just wait till you pull that crap on a ninja frog. They'll start calling you "Lumpy".

crashdive123
08-30-2009, 11:19 PM
http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs12/f/2006/319/4/4/Ninja_frog_by_brto22.jpg

dscrick
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
When I was young my Dad, Brother & I used to go gigging at night on the golf course where dad was a member (he knew the owners and had permission). Great fun until one night dad accidentally stuck a very large (and very upset) water snake by accident. Thing had it's head poking out of the duckweed and he thought it was a big bullfrog. Funny as hell but he didn't think so. After that we came up with a new method. I had a Beeman Tempest .22 air pistol, and we found we could "Shine" the frogs with a light, pop 'em with a pellet in the back of the head, and scoop 'em up with a net. Good marksmanship practice as well. Frog legs for dinner the next day!

rwc1969
08-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I caught a huge bullfrog on a buzzbait once. He was a good fighter too. LOL!

LudwigVan
08-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Good thread, I have been looking into getting a frog gig or equivilent for my survival kit. Besides frogs you could spear birds, snakes, whatever with it in a survival situation. Just sneak up on a duck with one of those and you've got a meal...

(I am aware that it would most likely be illegal to spear a duck, but i'm talking about survival situation only here, not just spearing ducks all willy nilly)

Rick
09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
In other news, police describe the scene as particularly gruesome. Hundreds of ducks speared to death for no apparent reason. Police detective, I.M. DeLaw, said they have a suspect in the case.

"Security cameras filmed local frog gigger Willy Nilly in the act. We hope to have him in custody shortly."

http://wildlife1.usask.ca/wildlife_health_topics/images/dead_ducks.jpg

LudwigVan
09-01-2009, 01:02 AM
I LoL'd!

But seriously, if I'm in a survival situation, after a week or so I'm gonna go looking for a duck or goose. Lots of talk among survival types about rabbit and squirrel, but animals like them have very little fat. Waterfowl have plenty of fat on em, and they are tasty! Too much protein and not enough fat can really put a hurting on you in that situation.

Rick
09-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I agree. It's just that water fowl are a little more difficult to catch in a survival situation.

peter nap
09-01-2009, 08:51 PM
In other news, police describe the scene as particularly gruesome. Hundreds of ducks speared to death for no apparent reason. Police detective, I.M. DeLaw, said they have a suspect in the case.

"Security cameras filmed local frog gigger Willy Nilly in the act. We hope to have him in custody shortly."

http://wildlife1.usask.ca/wildlife_health_topics/images/dead_ducks.jpg

I near spit coffee all over my laptop!:oops:

Rick
09-01-2009, 08:54 PM
That's okay. The caffeine will lubricate the keys.

crashdive123
09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
I near spit coffee all over my laptop!:oops:

Just make sure it's not decaf. Decaf will ruin a laptop.

Rick
09-01-2009, 08:57 PM
That's true. What he said. Oh, wait. I thought he said, DeCap. Then you'd just have lower case....never mind.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Frog Giggin' and Duck Huntin' will never be the same...First' Ken ruined squirrel huntin' and now, was it Rick? Gees I used to enjoy the outdoors! I thought this was a wilderness website.....

LudwigVan
09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I agree. It's just that water fowl are a little more difficult to catch in a survival situation.

I guess it depends on the situation. Not that I have tried it but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to sneak up on one while they are asleep and spear it right under the neck. One could also build traps or snares that would get you one, but again, trapping waterfowl is pretty much illegal wherever you go folks, so unless there's no other option, hold off on it until western society collapses mmkay?

Rick
09-02-2009, 02:10 AM
There's always the option of waiting until they are asleep and letting all of the water out of the lake. They'd be high and dry then. You could just walk out and pick 'em up.

CS - My momma always said, "Life is like a wilderness survival forum. You never know what kind of nut you're gonna get next".

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Rick,

Your momma was right!

peter nap
09-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Just make sure it's not decaf. Decaf will ruin a laptop.

It's illegal to sell Decaf in Virginia. It would be....unSouthern:innocent:

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 07:00 AM
It's been a bit since I lived there (Virginia Beach 1975), but I thought I remembered a law like that on the books. Or was it something about farm animals? Oh well, either way - good law.

canid
09-02-2009, 03:55 PM
haha, nice. we need a law like that here.

i mean sure, there are always people you meet and thing 'man, they should really switch to decaf', but would they really be half as interesting?

Ole WV Coot
09-02-2009, 05:25 PM
It's been a bit since I lived there (Virginia Beach 1975), but I thought I remembered a law like that on the books. Or was it something about farm animals? Oh well, either way - good law.

I moved from VA in 1978 and in some counties, don't remember what years but Blue Laws were nice to try to keep up with. Clerks got picky on what groceries you could and couldn't buy on Sunday and it wasn't ALL farm animals.:blushing: