PDA

View Full Version : Hello; I am new here

Airbus340
08-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Hello,
My name is Rob, I am 40 years old married with 2 children. I work as a Commercial Arline Pilot for the past 22 yrs. I have never done military service, closet I have come was to fly service men and women home, which was a pleasure to do. I know very little about survival except what I watch on TV and learned from a basic Pilot survival course put on by police officers and security personnel.I look forward to hopefully learning allot and I'm sorry I will probably take more knowledge than I can give.

Thank you very much
Robert L.

crashdive123
08-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Hello and welcome.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Hello and Welcome Robert!! I am glad you are here,It makes me more comfortable to know there is at least one Pilot (that I know of ... You) that is interested in this. Speaking for myself take all the knowledge you can!

Rick
08-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Welcome home, Robert. Everyone starts somewhere and this is as good a place to start as any. Don't feel bad about lack of skills. The important think is you have an interest and want to learn.

You'll find a number of stickies in the following link. Take some time and read through them. You'll learn a lot about the forum and how it's set up. In particular, take a look at the thread titled: About This Forum by Pict. It's very short but does an excellent job of defining what we are really discussing at any given time. Enjoy!!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Ken
08-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the Forums! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs060.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/)

Sourdough
08-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Welcome..........I am a retired commercial PA-18-150 driver.

oly
08-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome and enjoy

Lorna
08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Hello and welcome.

NightShade
08-29-2009, 12:09 PM
hello n welcome

Airbus340
08-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Very nice Hope :) thank you for the welcome. Yes the Super Cubs are certainly very nice aircraft as an amphibian platform. For me I prefer the Dehav Beaver but, there is nothing like those old birds to make you feel alive. Unfortunately I never get to fly that a/c type very often, only once in a long while, if I'm lucky and schedule permits. Did you do bush work with it?

Thank you everyone for the congenial welcome, I just hope I don't embarrass myself too badly. well it seems you have another pilot here as well Poco :) by the way that is an amazing name, my compliments.I will do my best to try to read through all the required protocols here. My many thanks again.
Rob L

Welcome..........I am a retired commercial PA-18-150 driver.

crashdive123
08-29-2009, 01:22 PM
I just hope I don't embarrass myself too badly.

Don't worry, most of us do it all the time.:blushing:

SARKY
08-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Welcome,
don't be afraid to ask questions. We've got a lot of talent here so take advantage of it!

Sourdough
08-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Did you do bush work with it?

Roger That. Mostly on 30" tundra tires, not much floats.

mccaw69
08-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Welcome aboard!Dive right in.

Airbus340
08-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Well thank you mccaw very much, but as a Commercial airline pilot , we try very hard, not to "Dive right In" :tongue_smilie: as a passenger in the back, I am sure you understand. :)

Rob L

Welcome aboard! Dive right in.

HanoverDan
08-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I am fairly new here also so welcome and everyone has knowledge and experiences that we can learn from.

Riverrat
08-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Welcome...this is a pretty good pace to start learning....

TucsonMax
08-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Hello from the desert! I have 1.3 million frequent flyer miles, so maybe you've taken me somewhere?

Never underestimate how much you can help the community. I have significantly less training than you (see this post: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8279 ) but like to think I've helped and will continue to do so.

Your skill-set is unique to the community, you will bring all sorts of knowledge and experience and suggestions that no one else could contribute. You are more special than you think. Look at it this way, we have hundreds of experienced campers, so that's incredible depth... but you bring us more breadth, which is just as good.

Welcome!

Rick
08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
And they were all round trips from Tucson to Phoenix!!!!!:eek:

Airbus340
08-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Well probably not Max sorry, don't do the Tuscon route, so probably not. I am more overseas long haul stuff.:),Thank you kindly, it's nice to feel needed that is for sure. I am just glad to be in a place where so much information is available. If i can contribute back some, I would be happy to do so.Thanks again Max for the warm handshake.

Rob L

Hello from the desert! I have 1.3 million frequent flyer miles, so maybe you've taken me somewhere?

Never underestimate how much you can help the community. I have significantly less training than you (see this post: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8279 ) but like to think I've helped and will continue to do so.

Your skill-set is unique to the community, you will bring all sorts of knowledge and experience and suggestions that no one else could contribute. You are more special than you think. Look at it this way, we have hundreds of experienced campers, so that's incredible depth... but you bring us more breadth, which is just as good.

Welcome!

TucsonMax
08-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Actually, most of my flights were outa either PHL or EWR and then anywhere and everywhere. Been to all parts of the globe, probably stayed at the same level hotels as you :-)

First flight to your beautiful city was on Peoples Express.. remember them? Every hour on the 15 min and paid cash on board, after take-off.

Airbus340
08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Well Max,
then I just may have had the pleasure of your butt in my backseat afterall:)
Yes peoples was short lived, that was eons ago now. They were just closing when I was near starting :)

Tim

Actually, most of my flights were outa either PHL or EWR and then anywhere and everywhere. Been to all parts of the globe, probably stayed at the same level hotels as you :-)

First flight to your beautiful city was on Peoples Express.. remember them? Every hour on the 15 min and paid cash on board, after take-off.

TucsonMax
08-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I was just starting college and would go to the airport and get on practically any $29 flight, just to go somewhere. Flights were dirt cheap and we got exactly what we deserved and it was well worth it. It's the same today flying is incredibly inexpensive and all we (passengers) do is complain about the service and food (or lack of.) Don't want to get into that discussion, especially on this thread... just saying, it's not all the carriers fault... what about ATC & FAA and now TSA :-) (I don't know the Canadian equalivents, but you know what I mean.)

Changing subject... there were times I knew Schipol better then my local supermarket. Once flew something like Helsinki to Oslo and the KLM pilot left the cockpit door open the entire flight. Once had the pleasure of being the only passenger on a CO EXpress flight. (I think that was just before the second bankruptcy and the Bethune turn-around.) And, I do remember having some of the most incredible meals and service over the atlantic in FC. So damn good I would write the CEO.

Anyway, welcome aboard.

chiye tanka
08-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Welcome aboard.