PDA

View Full Version : Storing eggs for long periods of time.

hunter63
08-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Found this today on : a very good site,
http://www.survivalblog.com/

Appears to be an up dated version of storing pork, eggs, for long periods by placing it in a barrel, pouring the lard over it in layers.
Covered wagon style.

Quote:
Thursday August 27 2009
Letter Re: A Method for Storing Fresh Eggs up to Two Years

Mister Rawles,
You can store eggs on the shelf for two years with this simple process:

1.When you gather your eggs simply wipe them off with a dry rags to remove anything stuck on the egg. Do not wash them!

2. Get a partner to help with this next step. Cover the palms of your hands with Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Cover each egg evenly with a thin layer of Vaseline. (This prevents air from entering the shell). Have your partner place the now very slippery egg into a Styrofoam carton. If using cardboard cartons, then line them with plastic wrap first. This prevents the Vaseline from being absorbed into the cardboard.

3. Eggs will store with this method for up to two years. If in doubt about whether or not they are usable simply place them in a bowl of water. If they float then they are no good.But if they stay on the bottom, then they are usable. [JWR Adds: In addition to the aforementioned float test, when cracking stored eggs, it is best to do so one at a time, giving each a sniff test before dumping them into a scrambling pan or recipe mix. BTW, here at the ranch, we do the same for eggs from our hen house, for the off chance that an egg has gone undetected for an extended period of time before being collected.]

4. When ready to use, put a little soap on your hands to remove the Vaseline, rinse, and immediately use the eggs.

I have been doing this for several years. Besides, what good is food storage if you can't have a good Toll House cookie now and again? - Brenda L.
End quote

Winnie
08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Hmmm I might give this a try. I've stored eggs in a solution of isinglass before, and they last about 6 months. I'll have a go at 1/2 a dozen.

canid
08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
don't think i'll try that. i'd feel safer pickling them.

Rick
08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Actually, they store better if you do nothing at all. Great little write up on Mother Earth News comparing the various ways to store eggs.

Here's a thread with a bunch of links in it including the M.E.N. article.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1993&highlight=storing+eggs

If you just want to skip the ME article:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...xperiment.aspx (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1977-11-01/Egg-Refrigeration-Experiment.aspx)

wareagle69
08-27-2009, 05:51 PM
easier to store the chickens that lay the egss

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 05:51 PM
The only fresh food that we had on submarines after about 5 days were eggs. We just left them in their cardboard cases and stored them in the forward bilges. We always had fresh eggs (a few bad ones after about four months).

Winnie
08-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Well I've learned something today. I'll keep half a dozen eggs in the scullery for a few weeks and see what happens! Thanks Rick/Crash.

There are a few weeks in the year when the girls stop laying and I usually do without eggs then, because shop bought eggs taste pants!

2dumb2kwit
08-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Well I've learned something today. I'll keep half a dozen eggs in the scullery for a few weeks and see what happens! Thanks Rick/Crash.

There are a few weeks in the year when the girls stop laying and I usually do without eggs then, because shop bought eggs taste pants!

There she goes, with that foreign language again. :innocent:
(At least this one is easy enough to understand, what she means. LOL)

Winnie
08-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Think we need Sarge! He's my official translator.

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 06:20 PM
I understood you perfectly. Must be 2D2k.

2dumb2kwit
08-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I understood you perfectly. Must be 2D2k.

Sheeez...I got it.......store bought eggs taste like a$$. Can't a guy joke around with his "English" friend? Dang!:innocent:

Ken
08-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Sheeez...I got it.......store bought eggs taste like a$$. Can't a guy joke around with his "English" friend? Dang!:innocent:

2dumb? How do you know what a$$ tastes like? You been doing something you don't want to tell us about? :innocent:

Rick
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Oh, that's cold. You just insulted Winnie and Crash AND 2D since they all understood the post. Shame, shame, shame.

2dumb2kwit
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
2dumb? How do you know what a$$ tastes like? :innocent:

I've had store bought eggs..............aren't you paying attention?:sneaky2:

Winnie
08-27-2009, 06:32 PM

'course you can!
I understood you perfectly LOL

The trouble is sometimes my reply gets lost in translation:blushing:

2dumb2kwit
08-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I understood you perfectly LOL

You know, sometimes I wonder if I loose you, with some of my redneck/country speak. LOL:blushing:

Winnie
08-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Sometimes it takes me a while to translate, and I sometimes forget You're over the pond and don't necessarily get what I'm on about. You have to admit, it is funny sometimes.
I think I frightened off one new chap because his name meant something quite rude over here!

Rick
08-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Just my luck. Rick means #$%Q^ in England. Who knew?

2dumb2kwit
08-27-2009, 06:42 PM

Your parents?:innocent:

Winnie
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM

Just thank your lucky stars you're not called Roger!

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Or %$#&&$# *&^&

Rick
08-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I've been called %$#&&$# *&^& more than I care to mention.

2dumb2kwit
08-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Or %$#&&$# *&^&

I've been called %$#&&$# *&^& more than I care to mention.

Alright you two.....watch that language, or I'll have to give you each a few days off, to think about it! LOL:innocent:

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 07:00 PM
A few day off? With pay! Woo Hoo!

Rick
08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
This is too good to be true!! %$#&&$# *&^& %$#&&$# *&^& %$#&&$# *&^& AND @#$%$%@~!!!

oldsoldier
08-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Rick you spelled @#$%$%@ wrong AGAIN!!!!