PDA

View Full Version : Hola Como Estas

survivalmanmaybe
08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Hello folks. My name is Carter and I have been living in Phoenix, Arizona my whole life and I visit Montana for one month every summer. What really drew me to this site was the fact that I am leaving my home and traveling by foot up into the northern hemisphere into Canada and Alaska. I plan on bringing 2000 dollars in emergency money with me on my excursion and I will live off the land by mapping out a course following rivers northward. If my health and spirits are in good condition then I plan on moving into Russia and travel into Southeast Asia. The highest objective would be to move along the coast of southeast Asia and then Saudi Arabia and into Africa, where I will be forced to settle for the time being. My friend and I are calling this "The World Tour 2012". If he finds alternate tribulations by the time I am ready then I am going alone.

Anyway, I would just like to say that I crave the knowledge and experience that you all have endured over the years and hope to learn alot from you. Any advice you have on this "WORLD TOUR" would be more than helpful.

Rick
08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Hello like these?

Okay, Carter. First, you're already in the Northern Hemisphere so the travel will be a really, really short one.

Before we ooh and aah over your journey, how about hiking over to our introduction section and tells us a bit about yourself.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

You must have meant, Hola. ¿Cómo estás?

EDIT: Okay, so you're already there. Still, you can take a look at the thread and give us some information. The more we know about you the better we can answer your questions.

Ken
08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the Forums! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs060.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/)

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Hello and welcome. I hope that your screen name is not a reflection of your abilities or confidence to complete your journey. Before I can offer any advice to a crazy person unemployed for life, you'll need to provide a bit more background. Here are some suggestions in this thread. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

Sourdough
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Welcome......Look in search function, under REAL MEN, or maybe Someone willd find it. There is an interesting story about a man who walked from Fairbanks, AK. to America in the late 1930's befor the road was built. Good read. Arizona.....Thats in America...RIGHT....????

Ken
08-27-2009, 03:32 PM
There is an interesting story about a man who walked from Fairbanks, AK. to America in the late 1930's befor the road was built.

Was that you, Hope? :innocent:

Rick
08-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Here you go, survivalmanmaybe, this is the thread Hope wants you to read.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4354&highlight=walk+alaska

survivalmanmaybe
08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
By crazy I mean that with the experience I have, a 3-10 thousand mile journey by foot would result in 55% survival. By coming to this site I wanted to introduce myself in that way...mainly for advice.=P

Do any of you think that a trip through the west coast of America, north into Canada, Northwest to Alaska, sailing to Russia, traveling into Southeast Asia, following the the coastline of India and Saudi Arabia, into Africa traveling West then North to Spain, Continuing North and Northeast through Great Britain, Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Ireland, etc etc etc back east to Russia, traveling South to midpoint of China, and going directly west towards Europe traveling through all the mediterranean country coasts and being Picked up in Portugal, but all on on foot is possible? By even the most experience human on a 2000 dollar budget and an associates in arts, a vet assistant degree.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Hello and Welcome. How much experience do you have? Have you done anything to train for such a Grand Tour? You left a lot out, if you want help we know nothing about your current skill level if any.

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Like I said - if you are seriously looking for advice and an answer to that question you are going to have to provide a lot more information than you have.

Rick
08-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Let's take it a step at a time. You need to give us some serious information. Try the thread I posted above. Read through it and try answering the questions. Then we'll see if you can survive to Canada.

survivalmanmaybe
08-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I am 19 years and old and moved out of the parents house a year a go. I camp and have become familiar with the desert terrain. The only experience I have consists of my childhood/teenage years where my family would camp 9 days to the east coast of America and back, and sometimes a 4 day trip to montana and washington in the northwest part of America. we did this every year for 17 years. I also have gone to many camps and programs, including boyscouts. I have also acquired 3 years of reasearch towards wilderness survival. I guess I believe I can do this because my will is very strong.

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Your will may be strong. How about your back?

trax
08-27-2009, 05:42 PM
You uh....ahem....you wanna send me a copy of whatever trails you'll be hiking thru Canada with that 2grand in your pockets? Hmmm? Just want a chance to be ummm...helpful, y'know? You bringing along some high end camping gear too?

And by all means, welcome to the forum....

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 05:43 PM
On a more serious note however - it really doesn't matter what we think of your journey or if you can do it. We do not know each other. If it is something you want to do, then do it. Have you done any research about some of the land you will be walking across? Do you plan on doing it legally with passport and visas? If you have specific questions, by all means ask away, but to ask what I think of you taking a journey like that with me knowing what I do about you is kind of pointless an hurt feelings may be the result.

Rick
08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, then, go for it. If you make Alaska then you can decide whether you want to tackle Russia. By the way, when are you leaving?

survivalmanmaybe
08-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Because I have no car or bike, I walk everywhere. On average about 4-5 miles a day and my previous job required 7-9 hours of constant walking/standing. I have been rock climbing and into yoga for 2 years, I have done each of these 4-5 times a week since. I have always been into cardio sports such as swimming and running so I would say that I am quite fit for the journey, as well as a good head on my shoulders. But since I have never done something like this on such a large scale I was wondering how easy it would be to find food and water in the wilderness. i may bike for time reduction and emergency transport as well as luggage support. but i do plan on bringing alot of necessary supplies.If it is all stolen and lost or I have run out of money and resources, and on the verge of death and I will cut the trip short and find the nearest airport. otherwise i will die in the name of adventure. Actually to die like this outweighs the glory of any other death, on many different levels of idealogies.

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Just my opinion here, but on a journey where you will be covering the kind of mileage you are talking about it will be very difficult to both forage for enough food to provide you with the calories you need, or to go the distances you would probably want to in a day. How far do you plan on each day? Depending on distance, terrain, and climate you may need in excess of 5000 calories a day to sustain yourself over time. Of course, do less - need less.

Skysoldier
08-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Welcome. Hope you're able to come back someday. As for Southeast Asia... I've been there and you can have it.:chinese:

survivalmanmaybe
08-27-2009, 08:00 PM
convenient stores are conveniently placed everywhere, calories can be picked up along the way ahaha. but i was wondering how easy it would be to catch fish everynight following rivers and how often you come across edible plants in the wild

survivalmanmaybe
08-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I plan to leave after my associates and job-related classes are completed.

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 08:08 PM
convenient stores are conveniently placed everywhere, calories can be picked up along the way ahaha. but i was wondering how easy it would be to catch fish everynight following rivers and how often you come across edible plants in the wild

Again, difficult to give truely meaningful answers, but I'll try. Buying food costs money. You said you are bringing $2000 for emergencies. While eating to live could be classified as an emergency, it is probably not something to strive for. Fishing, hunting, and foraging for food are great. How much of that sort of thing have you done? If that is what you are going to depend on for your survival in advance of your journey, you should be an expert in those areas befor you go. Ask Wareagle how much time he spends learning about wild edibles. It's not something that you just decide to do one day and then it happens. It takes a lot of study and work. You will be covering a miriad of regions and climates in the trip you describe. To learn that volume of information would be more of a lifetime goal, not trip planning. Hunters and fishermen get skunked all the time. When you do - no food today. Then there's the issue of legality. Before you say pffft - it is something to consider.

Ken
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Then there's the issue of legality. Before you say pffft - it is something to consider.

Look. :sneaky2: Have I ever ONCE posted in any thread discouraging people from letting bugs in their houses? :chair:

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Look. :sneaky2: Have I ever ONCE posted a thread discouraging people from letting bugs in their houses? :chair:

Yeah, but looking at his route I don't think you'd be in the running for legal work. If he was headed to MA - by all means.

survivalmanmaybe
08-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh I have no doubt that I will have many, many hardships on the way there but it is all part of the grand plan, to feel pain, to feel hopeless...but still having that will to survive, it is a primitive, primal sensation. I am not looking for comfort or security, because I already know I have already adapted to many basic aspects...for example...sleeping on the ground, living in caves, eating bugs and plants, lasting out the cold, foraging and preparing animals for food, etc. It is just a bundle of things I have experienced in my life and that I think I am ready to take on. Now more than ever on the verge of a manic and suicidal depression sparked by the construction of the human system to support the world's population and economics. It is an invetibality than I am not ready to accept, so I must escape. In nature is where I belong, and I plan to use every aspect of it to my advantage in survival.

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I will offer one last thing to you. When you are able - start walking. Walk as far as you can and only forage for food along the way. You may make it a few hours, or a few days, maybe a few weeks. I doubt seriously you will make it a few states, countries or continents. Good luck with what you seek.

Ken
08-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but looking at his route I don't think you'd be in the running for legal work. If he was headed to MA - by all means.

He could get lost. :innocent:

survivalmanmaybe
08-27-2009, 08:34 PM
will not! i know how to locate every star in the galaxy and where it is pointing you depending on whether you are in the northern or southern hemisphere. if anything i am the most an astronomer. I also have five kittens that always walk north when they are hungry. i plan on tying them all to a leash and they will be my great sacrifice because i will not feed them when i need to use their compass abilities.

Ken
08-27-2009, 08:36 PM
will not! i know how to locate every star in the galaxy and where it is pointing you depending on whether you are in the northern or southern hemisphere. if anything i am the most an astronomer. I also have five kittens that always walk north when they are hungry. i plan on tying them all to a leash and they will be my great sacrifice because i will not feed them when i need to use their compass abilities.

Okay. You're on drugs. :sneaky2:

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 08:40 PM

And I will not feed a troll.

Lorna
08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Hello and welcome

pocomoonskyeyes
08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
By crazy I mean that with the experience I have, a 3-10 thousand mile journey by foot would result in 55% survival. By coming to this site I wanted to introduce myself in that way...mainly for advice.=P

Do any of you think that a trip through the west coast of America, north into Canada, Northwest to Alaska, sailing to Russia, traveling into Southeast Asia, following the the coastline of India and Saudi Arabia, into Africa traveling West then North to Spain, Continuing North and Northeast through Great Britain, Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Ireland, etc etc etc back east to Russia, traveling South to midpoint of China, and going directly west towards Europe traveling through all the mediterranean country coasts and being Picked up in Portugal, but all on on foot is possible? By even the most experience human on a 2000 dollar budget and an associates in arts, a vet assistant degree.
Having read the whole thread I had to come back to this one post and quote it as it contains the most info. Aside from the fact you will have $2000 and have camped this is the most info. Ok so you are physically fit,Big deal. Brain overcomes brawn, what I mean is this you have absolutely no idea what you are in for. Assuming you were an EXPERT in World Wild Edible Plants you would be able to make maybe 10-12 miles a day,on a good day. By your own estimate 3-10 THOUSAND miles. Assuming that everything went your way with no problems(good luck there). Also assuming that some of the countries you would have to pass through would ALLOW you to pass. I think it would take you ....oh about a decade, minimum. you had better plan on taking about 10 times as much money minimum... in a bank account not on you. You will probably have to bribe your way across some borders. You will probably have to bribe your way out of jail. Your mention of "tribulations" makes me think you are a religious person. One wrong slip like that in the wrong country in earshot of the wrong person and you won't be coming back at all, nor finishing the trip alive in one piece. I think I just might have your attention now. There are a ton of preparations that you HAVE NOT EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT!! an undertaking like you are describing I would want to prepare for, for about 10-15 years BEFORE I took one step. In other words you are not even half way ready. Not even if you are the most informed and knowledgeable person on this Forum...you aren't. If you were you wouldn't be asking the questions you are asking. I'm sorry to have to hurt your feelings like this I really am. However I would rather hurt your feelings than to think about you trying this and NOT MAKING IT, and I didn't say a word, I couldn't live with that knowledge.
The final reason I quoted this post of yours is this at the end of your post ..."mainly for advice". My advice...Don't go you are not even halfway ready. I am sorry to be so harsh but that is my Honest Opinion, and the best advice I can give you ... I hope you stick around.

Ken
08-27-2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.hydrotoys.com/wavs/TrollSpray.jpg

pocomoonskyeyes
08-27-2009, 09:14 PM

OK now this just sounds absolutely childish. How old are you really 15?

Rick
08-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh, brother. Did someone put computers in the nut house? Kid, I give you and your kittens a week. After the romance wears off and all that other malarkey you spouted you'll be walkin' through the drive thru at McDonalds.

Stars really do point. No. Really, they do. See?

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/0093-0711-1319-2361_cartoon_star_character_pointing_up.jpg

crashdive123
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah, thought about making him go away, but decided that others may not be done playing with the ball of yarn yet.

Rick
08-27-2009, 11:11 PM
That last post of his may be a candidate for the archives stall of fame. It's really too long to add to the stall in the men's room but we could post it over a urinal. They sort of go hand in hand. (I slay myself. I really do).

chiye tanka
08-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Whadi miss, whadi miss?
Did someone say troll?:smash:

Sarge47
08-28-2009, 12:17 AM
I grit my teeth & laugh at danger for I am all man! I use every star in the Galaxy...The Ford Galaxy that is! I walk everywhere because, for some idiotic reason I have 2K in my pocket but refuse to buy a bicycle! I know every blade of grass in the world & thousands of ways to prepare them as delicious, scrumptious meals. You are lucky to know of me but are not worthy of my spit! I...what? Aww Ma! I don't wanna go to bed yet, I'm havin' fun playin' these guys! MA......! :innocent:

NUMPTY ALERT! NUMPTY ALERT! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! Hey Ken, got any "Numpty spray?" :sneaky2:

Ken
08-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Hey Ken, got any "Numpty spray?" :sneaky2:

http://blog.timesunion.com/bark/files/2009/04/800px-spray_can.jpg

survivalmanmaybe
08-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Haha sorry that last post was for my amusement, and yes I am a troll, regardless I am still very, very serious about this trip. Poco thank you for your honest opinion but it is far too rationalized and thought-provoking. You have to consider the dynamics of a trip can be strategically routed to fit your needs, especially in a modernized world. One could follow a route passing through towns and cities, or wherever the conveniences of industrial expansion are pinpointed...these are usually within a 30 mile radius of eachother to the next. One using GPS, triangulation, and other modern technologies could access and formulate the location of rivers, caves, valleys for quicker travel, and thriving eco systems of biological lifeforms. Your analysis of my trip, is a quick and assumed judgment in which I have given you no parameters of the materials I have chose to bring or the routes in which I chose to take. My experience, as little as it may seem, acts upon a mystic impulse, rather than a logical one. This is a spiritual, mind and body game that a being can use to sustain..well...your life. It works by sorting out your physical, social, and emotion advatageous and disadvatageous and using them to persuade or captivate another human or being. Believe me I have the wits for such a journey, and having taken "wilderness-survival.net" survival test and recieving a 85%, I'm not implying that I am ready but have done a lot of research.

The MAIN POINT is that this trip could be easily cut short due to family support and emergency money...that 2000 dollars is not for me...it is for the trip back home in case it is overwhelming. And it will be stored in a bank account. I will ALWAYS have at least 20 dollars on me a day, if 20 dollars is not present I will settle in the current location and work for someone who will provide me that money before making another 300 mile expansion.

This trip will be far more spiritual than knowledge-related, if I die, then it was how I always wanted to die.

and for the record...I AM NOT RELIGOUS, I am an "energy theory"-oriented agnostic.

crashdive123
08-28-2009, 04:49 PM
and yes I am a trollThank you for clearing that up. You need to take a vacation from the forum for a few days.

doug1980
08-28-2009, 05:00 PM
All I can say is WOW!!! Troll or not WOW!!! That trip would be almost impossible with 10 times that amount of money. And to walk it is just crazy. Expecially without at least having done a few smaller excursions.

crashdive123
08-28-2009, 05:06 PM
He now has some extra time on his hands to prepare for his trip. I'll check on him in about a week and see if he wants to let us know how it's going.

Ken
08-28-2009, 05:14 PM
May I be blunt? Yes? Good. Thank you.

You're either a troll or a moron.

Actually to die like this outweighs the glory of any other death, on many different levels of idealogies.

Really? Spoken like a true jacka$$! If you actually do this (I say "you" because some folks could pull this off) you're gonna' die or give up in a couple of weeks.

and yes I am a troll, regardless I am still very, very serious about this trip.

You may be VERY serious. That doesn't mean you're not a troll, a numpty, or just plain suicidal.

You have to consider the dynamics of a trip can be strategically routed to fit your needs, especially in a modernized world. One could follow a route passing through towns and cities, or wherever the conveniences of industrial expansion are pinpointed...these are usually within a 30 mile radius of eachother to the next. One using GPS, triangulation, and other modern technologies could access and formulate the location of rivers, caves, valleys for quicker travel, and thriving eco systems of biological lifeforms.

You haven't begun to consider the dynamics of your pipedream. The Earth has a circumferance of 24,900 miles and the Earth's coastline is 221,208 miles long. Plugging in all of your genius theories, just how far do you think you'll have to walk?

Your analysis of my trip, is a quick and assumed judgment in which I have given you no parameters of the materials I have chose to bring or the routes in which I chose to take.

He was being kind to you. The man knows you're an idiot. You're just wasting everyone's time trying to convince him or us otherwise.

My experience, as little as it may seem, acts upon a mystic impulse, rather than a logical one.

Allow me to repeat myself: Spoken like a true jacka$$!

Believe me I have the wits for such a journey, and having taken "wilderness-survival.net" survival test and recieving a 85%, I'm not implying that I am ready but have done a lot of research.

You don't have enough wits to walk across the street unless someone's holding your hand.

I will ALWAYS have at least 20 dollars on me a day, if 20 dollars is not present I will settle in the current location and work for someone who will provide me that money before making another 300 mile expansion.

That'll get you real far. Maybe you should open a lemonade stand to gain some financial experience first.

This trip will be far more spiritual than knowledge-related, if I die, then it was how I always wanted to die.

You'll get your wish.

and for the record...I AM NOT RELIGOUS, I am an "energy theory"-oriented agnostic.

Here's my energy theory for ya'. Save some energy. Turn your computer off.

Crash? I'm done with this ball of yarn. Thanks!

Ken
08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
He now has some extra time on his hands to prepare for his trip. I'll check on him in about a week and see if he wants to let us know how it's going.

Crash? I'm done with this ball of yarn. Thanks!

That's what I get for typing so slow.......... :innocent:

crashdive123
08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
No worries. All part of that energy theory thingie.

notlost
08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Yank yank
Well we know that this person is not for real,however, forget the wilds ,this person should consider their odds on survival around people

Rick
08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are!

notlost
08-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are!

Well I mean isn't survival an every moment thing
Peace

Rick
08-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah. I meant...

this person should consider their odds on survival around people

was funny.