PDA

View Full Version : The Great Escape

lumpy
10-29-2007, 12:12 PM
My youngest son experienced a rite of passage with me last night.We watched the movie The Great Escape together.His first viewing,probably my 20th viewing.I love that movie.If you haven't seen it.It was a movie based on actually events about an escape from a German P.O.W.camp during WWII.

Every time I watch that movie I ask myself what would be me means of escaping Germany if I was fortunate enough to get out of the P.O.W.camp.I think I would try my best to avoid people.I'd probably stick to waterways so I could use the water to cover my scent from the K-9's.This would be a slow process,but getting out of Germany would not be as high a priority as avoiding detection.
What would you do?

MCBushbaby
10-29-2007, 01:24 PM
I had the honor of hearing the life story of a WWII veteran who lectured to only 24 of us thanks to the local ROTC. He was one of the people in that prison camp and was actually the person in charge of finding and avoiding mines for the escapees. Why? Well in the UP where he lived (and where I live now), he was a miner (ore rock-type) but the Brits mistook this for a miner (explosives, anti-personnel). Funny story, funny old timer.

HOP
10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
I think you are right MC head for the nearest friendly border steal a bicycle if the river isn't working for you keep your head down travel at night make no witnesses and take no prisoners.

Sarge47
10-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I think you are right MC head for the nearest friendly border steal a bicycle if the river isn't working for you keep your head down travel at night make no witnesses and take no prisoners.

I'd disguise my self as a deaf, dumb, blind beggar. People usually try to avoid people with disabilities and have their hand out for money.