PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a debate board?

corndog-44
10-28-2007, 07:04 PM
A debate board in the General section is about due at this time, in my opinion.
The definition for debate in this case would be: Talk or argue about something: to talk about something at length and in detail, especially as part of a formal exchange of opinion.

Arguements pop-up at any time on any subject and these can be moved to the debate board.

What do you think?

MCBushbaby
10-28-2007, 07:13 PM
I think the addition of a "debate" board would just invite religious, political and "IMO" threads that do not relate in any major way to survival or back country experiences. I also think that we can keep the debating in the current boards to a controllable quantity since they are bound to occur. For example, people have differing opinions of knives, tents (or tarps), etc. We can "debate" in those threads just fine. I feel a debate board would get out of hand... they have at other sites.

Sarge47
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
A debate board in the General section is about due at this time, in my opinion.
The definition for debate in this case would be: Talk or argue about something: to talk about something at length and in detail, especially as part of a formal exchange of opinion.

Arguements pop-up at any time on any subject and these can be moved to the debate board.

What do you think?

I think you just started it!

FVR
10-28-2007, 08:10 PM
If ya want to ruin a board, just introduce a religion and political forum. Then it all goes to crap.

Just my buck two fifty.

Sarge47
10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
If ya want to ruin a board, just introduce a religion and political forum. Then it all goes to crap.

Just my buck two fifty.

Yeah, however those two topics are "anethama" here according to the rules so we can't have any of that. However VW needs his own playground.

MCBushbaby
10-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Yeah, however those two topics are "anethama" here according to the rules so we can't have any of that. However VW needs his own playground.

I whole heartily agree. Maybe someone can program a thread response random generator so noone will have to sit through his philosophically-coated troll threads.

HOP
10-29-2007, 06:56 AM
I have been on sites that allow debate and have even political and religious discusion and it usually goes sour quick, myself I relate religion to the protection of my immortal soul and politics to my freedom and they are both very important to me but because many get there information from the media (very inaccurate source) it makes for some very harsh feelings. Most people don't like their theorys shot down. Although i greatly injoy debating I would have to say no as it is off topic but then again we are off topic the majority of the time any way so why not just insist that people be polite and realize that there are other views to a subject and some of them might just enlighten us.

Sarge47
10-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Okay, let's see if I understand this. We debate survival/outdoor equipment and NOT anything else? Actually, the only one who gets really "Philisophical", for lack of a better term is VW, so would the debate board be created mostly or soley for/because of him? And if so is that really nessasary? Tell me what ya all think. The rules regarding "No Political or Religious Posts" have been laid down and I don't think that anybody needs to debate those anyway. Then the question comes up if this is a "Survival" Forum or a "Debate" Forum? Let me know here.

MCBushbaby
10-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Your agreement comes from your desire to be taken seriously...You are young, and eager to show us your unlimited resources in the affairs of wilderness conquests...your "title" would make a 90 year old indian suffocate on his own laughter...having heard of the white man's "pimps"...or as he calls them..."bush masters".

troll, part 1

My philosophy, is i am afraid a far reach for your still developing thing you call a brain. If i am a "troll", you are a pimp...pushing grandiose values as if a purple hat would make me blush...that's "blush" and not "bush" by the way.

troll, part 2

The thing of it is, VW, is that you do not really contribute to the forums in the threads you create. "The Art of War" in General Emergency Preparedness is an example. You can quote and cliffnote Sun Tzu all you want but until you actually relate it to the board you put it in, it's just spam. "You are." is another - you simply ramble on about "you" and "I" and random 'philosophical' anecdotes that have no more relation to the board than any of your other threads. I think you mistake this site, and related forums, to be some kind of proving grounds for your collegiate psychology dissertation.
Ordinarily spam doesn't bother me but you somehow view it as a child and protect it against any and all scrutiny as such. Anyone who's expressed an opposing view to your own has been met with psycological-coated flame responses. The casual observer who skims the threads doesn't see any flame war going on, but anyone who actually reads you lengthy responses sees that you are basically drawing out two or three sentences of "stfu" and "you suck" into something that makes you seem intelligent.
As for me passing on my knowledge equivalent to my "bush master" title, please... by all means VW, create a contributing thread asking for help in any bushcraft area and I'll be glad to pass on my knowledge. But no matter how great someone is in the bush, they can't explain how to make a fire plow or weave cattail leaves into a mat if the thread topic is "you are your own worst enemy".
So yes, Sarge, a "debate" board would probably only suit VW and anyone who decides to respond to his threads and I don't think there is enough debate in survival to warrant a whole new board section. The 'debate' over which knife is best, what shelter should be constructed, and/or how to boil water without a pot don't need to have their own section. I think they fit fine under Primitive Technology and all the other, currently existing, boards.

trax
10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
That we each offer our own premises, draw conclusions accordingly and continue the debate on the necessity of a debate board. :)

HOP
10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
We just about survived on spam when I was a kid it has a indefinate shelf life and realy spuces up a lot of plain starchy meals, haven't tried trolls yet. I all ways us debait when I go fishing.

corndog-44
10-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Does one good to see "the other side" and thus get a better idea of what is out there. Although one should try to make the best of what one has, rather than half-hearted.

We've had a few huge rows here before. They got heated, but they were in general civilised and people left those debates without ill feeling; far as I can see from other posts. Staying on topic of Wilderness Survival should not be hard to achieve. Any off topic subject should be deleted anyway unless stated by the topic starter how the topic relates to survival.

As to religion and politics. I was raised that there are 3 subjects that you don't talk to a person about: his religion, his politics and his money.

Sarge47
10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Does one good to see "the other side" and thus get a better idea of what is out there. Although one should try to make the best of what one has, rather than half-hearted.

We've had a few huge rows here before. They got heated, but they were in general civilised and people left those debates without ill feeling; far as I can see from other posts. Staying on topic of Wilderness Survival should not be hard to achieve. Any off topic subject should be deleted anyway unless stated by the topic starter how the topic relates to survival.

As to religion and politics. I was raised that there are 3 subjects that you don't talk to a person about: his religion, his politics and his money.

Ya left out football! I find that interesting about "off-topic" posts, anybody else feel this way?

trax
10-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't participate anyway, I'm not qualified. I stay as far away from religion and politics as possible and I never have any money. I think the three are all really closely related somehow, it seems to be that way these days anyway. I'm just too much of a naif to know how. I'll stick to debates on what kind of leaves are best for wipin' with and that sort of thing, LOL.

HOP
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Trax stay away from conifers and suculents.

trax
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Trax stay away from conifers and suculents.

Ah, finally, practical wisdom. Thank you, HOP. :D

woodwose
10-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Okay, let's see if I understand this. We debate survival/outdoor equipment and NOT anything else? Actually, the only one who gets really "Philisophical", for lack of a better term is VW, so would the debate board be created mostly or soley for/because of him? And if so is that really nessasary? Tell me what ya all think. The rules regarding "No Political or Religious Posts" have been laid down and I don't think that anybody needs to debate those anyway. Then the question comes up if this is a "Survival" Forum or a "Debate" Forum? Let me know here.

Here is what I think: I think that all this infighting clouds the mind to the true purpose of this forum and that is to learn from one another about the topic of survival. I haven't been here one month yet and already I am tiring of it. I have egalitarian beliefs. (everyone and everything is equal). This forum is already a debate arena just by the format. I need open minds and a casual environment. We need to get on to the business at hand before it may be too late. Infighting and flaming wastes time. I could become heart sick just reading some of this jibber jabber and it isn't productive. So, will you please set aside differences and open your minds? Thank you. :confused:

trax
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
by woodwose. And, having read it, I'm sure the last thing you want is an argument but here's one anyway.

The infighting does become a bit overbearing, however it does give me a chance to poke fun at people :) (who me? never...:rolleyes:) I think that differences of opinion, arguments whatever are inevitable and that we can each take what we want from the resulting back and forth that ensues. Simply dump the rest. As you said, the very nature of a forum welcomes debate and I agree that we should keep personal things out of it, but people are people...human nature is what it is if you will. I say all of this because of your statement about being tired of it already. I believe it's worth sorting through the nonsense to get to the good stuff and hope that you will look at it the same way. (and of course if you disagree, feel free to tell me off and by all means call me a few names, you won't be the first or the worst, :eek:)

I just hope you stay and continue to offer your contributions and that some of ours are worthwhile for you.

corndog-44
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
The reason I brought up the idea of a debate board is because there are survival topics that are not comfortably put on any of the forum boards. Hot topics are what they really are and not everyone would feel comfortable reading. For example; Hot Topics such as:

Survival Cannibalism ( like the plane crash in South America and the survivors ate the dead victims).

Prostitution ( Not just female but also male prostitution. Some turns to prostitutition for enjoyment, others for survival because of lack of other available work and other various reasons).

Poverty and Hunger ( Around the U.S. and the world. Should we first take care of our own? What if it happens to any of us?)

owl_girl
10-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Umm it changed a long time ago many times.

owl_girl
10-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I meant IT lol. I’m dyslectic give me a brake.

trax
10-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Don't worry Trax.. I am staying and did not mean to imply that I was leaving. All I was trying to do was give an objective point of view. Didn't want to sound scolding. No offense was taken on my part either. :) Maybe I should have waited to write that when I had rested more from work.. I work very hard during the day. When I come home I am beat. both physically (sometimes) but especially mentally from the long hours. (13 to 15 usually).

and then there's volwest waiting to mess up your hair...dang I'd be upset, lol

trax
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
well, owl_girl's hair anyway.

corndog-44
10-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Oh...that's what you were talking about...
Letting us guess like that...

Well, debate this...
The forum is changing.
Can you feel it ?
I can.

As I understand it this is a new forum and it's experiencing growing pains and we must expect change. Somewhat like the growing pains of my kids and grandkids. "letting us guess like that..."; there's a number of synonyms to the word "debate".

trax
10-31-2007, 02:13 PM
true...
I'm in with either topics.
no you're not.

Beo
10-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Isn't this pretty much a debate by the way its set up A FORUM, and doesn't "General" mean one could debate the subject? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so stinking confused I feel like Explodingearth in the wilderness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My head hurts to much info for a grunt! Do as ya'll feel and I'll just join in and chat. :)