PDA

View Full Version : What was you shortest successful shot

hunter63
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Shortest shot(s), Big doe at about 6 ft, would have been shorter, but I got up and let her pass, then shot her. Almost got run over (good camo, I guess).
Anyway, the fork buck right behind her ran right pass me and her, then stopped about 10 ft away, turned to see what happened to the doe, so I shot him too.
Too close for the scope, so I just pointed and shot them.

Nephew, my hunting partner, still is talking about how fast the shots were with the bolt gun.

BTW, both shots were w/ the 7 mag, didn't perf thru, only meat ruined was the heart and lungs.
Both dropped 30 ft off a loggong road, so I was able to pretty much drive up and pick them up.
Now if I could just get them to run over by the truck first............................

Rick
08-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Mine was so close (How close was it?). It was so close I just handed the gun to the deer and it committed suicide.

(That's close).

glockcop
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Contact wound to the head of an 9 ft. alligator with a .40 cal Glock 165 gr. Speer Gold Dot bullet. Dead right there. It was twitching the whole time I skinned it out and deboned it. Fried up real nice, and as for the Alligator Sauce Pecan, it came out perfect :chef:. Didn't loose an ounce of meat. Off topic but, us coon asses don't just cut off the tail and throw the rest away. We don't like to waste that much meat. The legs, back strap, jowells, and the under the tongue meat are great too. In case you did not know an alligator has "white" and "dark" meat like poultry. The legs are "dark" and everything else is "white". Just thought I'd share a little useless trivia knowledge with ya'll.

Ken
08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
In case you did not know an alligator has "white" and "dark" meat like poultry.

And.........

http://images.payplay.fm/m/o/monkeys4/600/monkeys4.jpg

glockcop
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
And.........

http://images.payplay.fm/m/o/monkeys4/600/monkeys4.jpg

Not really Ken. Alligator tastes like alligator. The closest thing I can think of taste wise would be frog legs which, as you know, tastes only a little bit like chicken. Not just like chicken. Just a little bit like chicken. Alligator IMO tastes like nothing else but alligator. It's all good though.

Sourdough
08-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I have boinked two different bears at less that six inches from muzzle. And many at three feet to ten feet.

Ken
08-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I have boinked two different bears at less that six inches from muzzle. And many at under ten feet.

http://www.boinkedgames.com/images/penthouse%202b.jpg

Ken
08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I have boinked two different bears at less that six inches from muzzle. And many at three feet to ten feet.

Hope, you're scaring me......... :innocent:

boink (boingk) Vulgar Slang
v. boinked, boink·ing, boinks
v.tr. To have sexual intercourse with.

v.intr. To engage in sexual intercourse.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/boinked

crashdive123
08-25-2009, 04:43 PM
You're his campaign manager. Can't you control your candidate?

Ken
08-25-2009, 04:45 PM
You're his campaign manager. Can't you control your candidate?

This election may be closer than I thought. :innocent:

Sourdough
08-25-2009, 05:11 PM
See what happens in the North when there are no women.....Could you guys keep this quiet, my cow Moose friend is not very understanding. Perhaps Bonked was the correct word choice. I thought boinked was the past tense of bonk. O'well live and learn......:winkiss::innocent::winkiss: You guys are in America, RIGHT....??? that explains the language difference......:clap:

crashdive123
08-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Kind of like that tom-ay-to and tom-ah-to thing.

Ken
08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Perhaps Bonked was the correct word choice. I thought boinked was the past tense of bonk.

Nice recovery, Hope! :clap:

Crash, I think he's still a viable candidate. :innocent:

crashdive123
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
He was never out of the running in my book - regardless.

Pal334
08-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Without being graphic, contact close in a dark room. I am still amongst the living :)

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-25-2009, 06:52 PM
I was a hunting from a stand in the woods adjacent to a field. I had a terrible cold and the associated cough. I tried to muffle the cough in my beanie. I don't know about ya'll but one screw up like that and i figure my hunt is over. Feeling bad a decided to walk out. I always walk softly in the woods comes natural to me as I have spent alot of time hunting. So I am stalking as I approach the opening into the field. As I step into the field from my left a 9 point is maybe 5 ft. away and running. I saw him he saw me and he spooked like a horse kicking dirt all over my boots. My gun was hanging from my shoulder in a sling. I reached up for the barrel and brought it up and over felt like one of those color guard guys. I shouldered the scoped .270 as the buck went straight away and I mean bookin' it. I leveled the cross hairs on his well umm you know the thingy that poops and at about 25 yds. I fired. He went head over heels then picked up his head and another to the temple. Looking left I saw the bigger buck that ran him out bounce back in the woods. I sat the field stand the following evening and took what would have been my longest shot at 250 yds. I hit him good just pushed him too quick and a hunter in the next field finished him off. So I don't count it. So now you see why I shy away from longer shots, I like them better in the back of the truck!

Rick
08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Hope - I won't ask how or why bruins get that close to you. But that's waaaaay to close for me.

Pict
08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Pennsylvania
Dove hunting
My Dad with a 12 ga Browning double

He was walking near the corn and I was out behind him and above on the hill. Out over the corn I could see a dove headed right for him on an intersect course. He couldn't see the bird because of the corn. I started yelling, "Dad over the corn! Turn towards the corn!"

The bird broke out into clean air. His shotgun came up vertical and he fired. I kid you not, a spray of blood and feathers marked the spot that bird departed this earth and no two pieces fell to the ground in the same place. The pattern was about 3 inches at that range.

My Brother
12 ga Ithaca 37
Hiking in the Appalachians

We were headed down a trail and my brother was walking next to me and a little in front off to my left. The trail was covered in grass. He had the gun up and resting on his shoulder. All of a sudden he stopped short, took a half step back, swung the shotgun at his feet and fired. He reached down and pulled up a large snake with no... "Copperhead".

OK since we're braggin...

Me
Pennsylvania
12 ga Ithaca 37

Hunting pheasants with my Dad and brother we were in a soybean field and the farmer and a farm hand drove up in a pick-up to talk. We were standing around in a rough circle talking for a few minutes when all of a sudden a ringneck takes off from just outside our circle. I had the shot so I took it, the bird was about 20 feet up and out. BAM! The bird does a dead drop into the soybeans. The farmhand, clearly disgusted at what has to be a blown apart bird walked over first to collect it. The bird had no head. "That'll look good on a plate." he said as he handed it to me.

Mac

OhioHillbilly
08-25-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure how tall the washer and dryer was but I drilled a mouse with a .22 pistol. I leaned over the back and POW...took him out with one shot. I gotta leave the mash alone when doing appliance repair.

aflineman
08-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Contact distance with a 30-06 on a 275# wild hog (sow). Scared the crap out of me as she was laying down next to a log that I sitting against. Long grass was over her, so I didn't see her until she decided that she had been quiet long enough.

flandersander
08-26-2009, 02:31 AM
I was parked atop a hill and my dad drove around the bush. Really tiny bush, roughly 2000 sq ft of wooded area. Dad started walking in and right then a ten point white tail buck ran out. I was kneeling, and wearing blaze orange against the white snow, i assumed he would see me. He darn near ran me over. When he was aprox. 2 strides from me i fired. Lets just say he had a .243 calibre headache. He flopped to the ground rolled over, and into my lap. We went on to score it, and when we told the guy i shot it into my lap, he didn't believe me. Anyway, it ended up scoring 167. It's rack was very wide, and had lots of mass, and its body was spectacular. It was an astonishing feeling having it roll around in my lap. Go ahead crash, say it. I know you want to :)

crashdive123
08-26-2009, 07:48 AM
No need. If you enjoy that sort of thing ----- as the saying goes -----If it works for you, then it works for me.

Riverrat
08-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I was working at a camp as a warden, heard something come up on the veranda after dark, opened the door, stepped out, and ran into a black bear. Shot hole in roof of veranda, never did see a bear move that fast before, or for that matter, never did see me move that fast either...cleaned up bear s@#$ the next day, also did laundry. Missed bear but had a nice new skylight.....Opps missed the word successful, but even though I did not hit the bear, the sky light was a real nice addition to the camp, so in a way, it was sucessful....

Pal334
08-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I was working at a camp as a warden, heard something come up on the veranda after dark, opened the door, stepped out, and ran into a black bear. Shot hole in roof of veranda, never did see a bear move that fast before, or for that matter, never did see me move that fast either...cleaned up bear s@#$ the next day, also did laundry. Missed bear but had a nice new skylight.....Opps missed the word successful, but even though I did not hit the bear, the sky light was a real nice addition to the camp, so in a way, it was sucessful....

In my opinion anytime you can walk away after running into a bear is successful :)

crashdive123
08-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Yep, sounds like a successful shot to me. You're still here. The bear is probably still telling family and friends of the crazy two legged human thingie that installs sky lights.

glockcop
08-26-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm with Pal on that one. You're one lucky dude.

Icemancometh
08-26-2009, 09:46 AM
less than 5 yards. 6 point buck walked up to me and stood there and stared at me. I stood up and he turned broadside and continued to stand there begging me to shoot him, so I obliged.

SARKY
08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Late Nov. Whitetail season in Maine on our 13 thousand wilderness acres of Navy training facility. I had first watch at one entrance to the facility in order to keep hunters out while we had a class in session (SERE). It started to snow shower (yes rain and snow comming down at the same time). I was setting up my pouncho as a shelter and had my .41mag in my pack when I heard someone/thing walk up on me. As i was bent over, i looked between my legs as I was reaching for my pistol, and saw the front legs of a deer. I fired one round at about 3 feet. hit him dead center at the base of the neck head on. He dropped like a rock and I was deaf for about 4 hours. A very nice 4 point, dressed out at 197 pounds.