PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Sarge47
10-28-2007, 07:59 AM
VW got me to thinking when he was referring to the refugee camps. He said "No magic tricks". I'm not sure I understood what he met by that but it got me to thinking about something else. If we as a nation ever do face TEOTWAWKI, then it's reasonable to expect some drastic changes in our lifestyle. This inter-net forum is a good example. We have not only come to depend on High-tech items that have get their power from satelites, but from electricity as well. What if both were suddenly cut off by some massive tragedy? What would help a society in their search for entertainment? History shows that prior to TV & radio "Street Performers" plyed their trade in exchange for a bed and food. Would we see a resurgence in that? I think so. What would you do to survive in the community? What skills do you bring that could ensure your place in the newly formed society that would then exist? Just curious. I'm a performer myself so maybe that would be my thing.

GrayWolf
10-28-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm in the middle of Veterinary Medical School, so I think those skills would be of great importance. In times where we would have to resort to more "primitive" ways, I believe taking care of our animals would be even more critical than it is today.

woodwose
10-28-2007, 12:57 PM
VW got me to thinking when he was referring to the refugee camps. He said "No magic tricks". I'm not sure I understood what he met by that but it got me to thinking about something else. If we as a nation ever do face TEOTWAWKI, then it's reasonable to expect some drastic changes in our lifestyle. This inter-net forum is a good example. We have not only come to depend on High-tech items that have get their power from satelites, but from electricity as well. What if both were suddenly cut off by some massive tragedy? What would help a society in their search for entertainment? History shows that prior to TV & radio "Street Performers" plyed their trade in exchange for a bed and food. Would we see a resurgence in that? I think so. What would you do to survive in the community? What skills do you bring that could ensure your place in the newly formed society that would then exist? Just curious. I'm a performer myself so maybe that would be my thing.

Here is a good possibility Sarge.. http://www.whentechfails.com There is a paperback book out on this by Matthew Stein, When Technology Fails. I have one... through Amazon and also his website mentioned above.. I enjoy it thoroughly. Might get it before your computer goes out..

HOP
10-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Read minds, I can see wait, wait I can see you are hungry. People realy will be hungry , can live 3 weeks without food Patience my rear end I am killing something. Kidding aside I think a handycraft would be in more need but society would be quite busy seperation the wheat from the chaffe(good from bad, useful unuseful.0 intertainment would get there but take a back seat to 3 hots and a cot.

Sarge47
10-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Read minds, I can see wait, wait I can see you are hungry. People realy will be hungry , can live 3 weeks without food Patience my rear end I am killing something. Kidding aside I think a handycraft would be in more need but society would be quite busy seperation the wheat from the chaffe(good from bad, useful unuseful.0 intertainment would get there but take a back seat to 3 hots and a cot.

True to a certain extent, however history has shown that after the dust of re-orginization settles, people still need entertainment. It's been there all through history. We will also need craftmen as well, and probably first. But just wait until people need a break!

HOP
10-28-2007, 05:30 PM
I think it would be great to revert back to the story tellers done from memory only no reading there is still a little of it in the mountains .

wareagle69
10-28-2007, 06:17 PM
everyone needs a plumber..

carcajou garou
10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Being in a trade would be of great assets in keeping what left in running order, mix and match your trades and professionals to keep an even balance but also start immediately cross training in parrallel or complimentary trades.
Need a machinist anyone?

MCBushbaby
10-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Law man.

Carry the power, easy ascension to a higher position if you do the job well. People look to you for leadership/respect.

woodwose
10-28-2007, 08:32 PM
I am remodeling my house all by myself. Does that count?

Sarge47
10-28-2007, 10:29 PM
I am remodeling my house all by myself. Does that count?

Someone who can build houses is always in demand!

jose lobo
10-28-2007, 11:53 PM
very remote wireless internet provider, and also provide micro solar and hydro power in the out back jungle

jose lobo
10-29-2007, 10:51 AM
volwest,, wow im so impressed,, with you witty flavor. thanks for your lovely input.. senior member still in high school???

jose lobo
10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
this sight is about helping each other,, or did i miss the point??

MCBushbaby
10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
You also seem to be missing the point volwest. No post in this thread has replied with any "entertaining" career choice in post-apocalypse. All have been made for the benefit of the new society. Those are more important than simple street performers and clowns. I'm sure a carpenter or law man would last (survive) a hell of a lot longer than a comedic drunk or juggler.

Beo
10-29-2007, 03:03 PM

First off, no one is going to live 3 weeks like you say without food you'd starve, if you can then teach me (I will be your grasshopper). Second you are right, skills in survival would be in huge demand (I dream of the days going back like it was in the 1700s), for entertainment staying alive and protecting those you group with would keep you busy, it would be kinda tribal like. Just one man's thoughts.

Beo
10-29-2007, 03:12 PM
And yes Volwest, as mitch.chesney said, and I being a Deputy Sheriff and avid tracker, hunter, and outdoorsman agree, a carpenter or law enforcement officer would last survive a hell of a lot longer than a comedic drunk or juggler in post-apocalypse. What does a comic or juggler bring to the table?

Beo
10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
You know what, a good wh**e is a form of entertainment :) just like the old days.

HOP
10-29-2007, 03:18 PM
The 3 weeks is a part of the rule of 3s that I don't subscribe to I have never seen a scavenger witha calander yet my point in a nother thread is yourshouldn't wait til the time limit to get off your rear end and survive now. And a LEO doesn't automaticly mean a good security and tactics person ,which is needed I would possiablely pick a good nonconvential solider over LEO but I would have to see the man.

Beo
10-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Some LEO's are good and some are not so good, what would have to be taken into account would be the man's background and survival nature, judgment in common sense situations and under stress. As a rule I would pick a soldier (professional or nonconvential) over LEO if he had those factors.

Beo
10-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I have nothing but respect for women, it was a joke and nothing more get over it. Actually from the movie "The Long Riders" and y sister, daughter, and mother are not whores. What makes you the almost funny man?

trax
10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
from the peanut gallery. My two cents worth says that everyone's profeering opinions about what post-teotwawki is going to be like and that there will be groups trying to "re-build" society or start a new one. It's guess work, people.

owl_girl
10-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Law man.

Carry the power, easy ascension to a higher position if you do the job well. People look to you for leadership/respect.

If they followed you do you think you’d offer them a better chance for survival then if they go it alone? People wont necessarily follow you jest because you carry power, if the disaster is caused by the government for example do you think people will trust law enforcement?
People that carry power might be viewed as a threat because if a powerful person becomes corrupt and uses there power for that then they are an even bigger threat.
Law enforcement that try to get respect through intimidation rather then earning it I would definitely not trust and I know cops like that.

I was always taught to respectfully question authority (doctors and teachers for example) I’ve seen doctors mess up big time like telling people that there are no side affects to there prescription when it labels some big ones when you look it up, or that there are no side affects or possible allergic reactions to that vaccine and yet my little brother almost dies from it then they loose the documents/evidence. When ever a doctor or teacher tells you something its always good to double check and look it up online. So any way my point with all that is I don’t take peoples word for it or follow them just because they carry power. They have to prove themselves trust worthy and competent and carrying a badge isn’t going to get you there any faster and if you think it will then that reveals something about your character.

jose lobo
10-29-2007, 04:45 PM
back to the table, and thanks again for all the response. i have a question,

how big of a tribe, would be prefect, if any???? solo?? with a friend or other family?? or many family's and friends? solo is great, and ive done it, but now i have a wife and kid.

sometimes having a group of people that are working for the good of the group may be better?

i have thought of inviting a few other family's with me and my family's disappearing trip,
but i am very torn. it could turn into a nightmare or could really help. for many reasons.

sometime i wish i was solo again, but im not.

any ideas would be helpful.

trax
10-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Right on the money, owl_girl! and you said it much more nicely than I could have. Personally, I don't have a heck of a lot of interest in, or respect for, someone just because they're in power now, so why would I after some kind of "societal collapse".

trax
10-29-2007, 05:20 PM
sometime i wish i was solo again, but im not.

any ideas would be helpful.

Maybe marriage counselling?

trax
10-29-2007, 05:23 PM
You know what, a good wh**e is a form of entertainment :) just like the old days.

Yeah, might have been a joke man, but volwest's right on the money here, wrong venue for the joke. I'll just go ahead and blush on your behalf for nell, owl_girl, lady trapper, and our other female counterparts here (well no, I won't, but you all know what I mean)

owl_girl
10-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe marriage counselling?

I agree lol.

Sarge47
10-29-2007, 05:25 PM
lol
Your best one yet.

And one of your shortest.

MCBushbaby
10-29-2007, 05:30 PM
If they followed you do you think you’d offer them a better chance for survival then if they go it alone? People wont necessarily follow you jest because you carry power, if the disaster is caused by the government for example do you think people will trust law enforcement?
People that carry power might be viewed as a threat because if a powerful person becomes corrupt and uses there power for that then they are an even bigger threat.
Law enforcement that try to get respect through intimidation rather then earning it I would definitely not trust and I know cops like that.

I was always taught to respectfully question authority (doctors and teachers for example) I’ve seen doctors mess up big time like telling people that there are no side affects to there prescription when it labels some big ones when you look it up, or that there are no side affects or possible allergic reactions to that vaccine and yet my little brother almost dies from it then they loose the documents/evidence. When ever a doctor or teacher tells you something its always good to double check and look it up online. So any way my point with all that is I don’t take peoples word for it or follow them just because they carry power. They have to prove themselves trust worthy and competent and carrying a badge isn’t going to get you there any faster and if you think it will then that reveals something about your character.

Would the wild west have been better without Wyatt Earp or any other law man? Let's face it, post-apocalypse is going to resemble the lawlessness of the old west. So to answer your question, yes I do think people will last a lot longer with a sheriff in town. After all, would the west be the same if gangsters and murderers ruled? I don't think anyone would've settled between the Mississippi River and California on account of high chance they would've been murdered.

Sarge47
10-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Gotta go along with Mitch & Owl Girl both here. Seems like no matter what folks always go back to what they know and trust; what they feel safe about, even if it's messed up. Wyatt Earp was good, Judge Roy Bean, now there's the opposite side of the same coin.

trax
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
I don't think anyone would've settled between the Mississippi River and California on account of high chance they would've been murdered.

If no one else was settling there, then who would have murdered them?

trax
10-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Law man.

You can ascend to whatever height of position your little heart desires in that situation, my friend, while I fade quietly back into the nearest wilderness where I can ignore you. Memo to all drunken comics, jugglers etc. party at trax' place.

As near as I can tell the really good thing about Wyatt Earp was his gang's shooting compared to the other gang's shooting.

Sarge47
10-29-2007, 05:57 PM
You can ascend to whatever height of position your little heart desires in that situation, my friend, while I fade quietly back into the nearest wilderness where I can ignore you. Memo to all drunken comics, jugglers etc. party at trax' place.

As near as I can tell the really good thing about Wyatt Earp was his gang's shooting compared to the other gang's shooting.

Ole' Wyatt liked the scatter gun for sure!

nell67
10-29-2007, 05:59 PM
I have nothing but respect for women, it was a joke and nothing more get over it. Actually from the movie "The Long Riders" and y sister, daughter, and mother are not whores. What makes you the almost funny man?

What you said shows such a lack of disrespect for women,especially on a site that you are new to and to be a law enforcement officer to boot,shame I thought your job was to clean the world up of women like that ,but I just got the feeling from that one post that you lump ALL women into that category.

Thank you to Volwest and to trax,your words are appreciated.

owl_girl
10-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Would the wild west have been better without Wyatt Earp or any other law man? Let's face it, post-apocalypse is going to resemble the lawlessness of the old west. So to answer your question, yes I do think people will last a lot longer with a sheriff in town. After all, would the west be the same if gangsters and murderers ruled? I don't think anyone would've settled between the Mississippi River and California on account of high chance they would've been murdered.
Well I wasn’t implying law enforcement had no place or we not beneficial to society just like I wasn’t implying doctors had no place or were not beneficial to society (some are some aren’t). Serving a town and leading a town isn’t necessarily the same thing. Though I’m not saying you’d make a bad leader, I wouldn’t know since I don’t know you, I’m just saying don’t expect people to follow you just because you are in law enforcement. If it got really bad and the system crashed what would you do with the bad guys? Arrest them, read them there rights, put them in jail? There may not be a jail, you may have to play by totally different rules, rules civilians can play them selves . In an old west situation new law enforcement may rise from civilian groups. Some cops would be corrupt and some wouldn’t, Even these days some cops seem to get protect and serve mixed up with divide and conquer. people may not trust you and you may have to work hard to get it. Not necessarily an easy ascend to a higher position.

FVR
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Very humorous thread.

I am always hesitant about those that throw up the gun and the badge in the name of law. When they start idolizing Wyatt Earp, I really question their sanity. Earp's history is that on both sides of the law. He just happened to be a good killer. But, in the end, not paying attention will really gitcha.

Beowulf's comment is unsat. he has been made aware of that. First impressions can sometimes just haunt you.

I like Trax's ideology. Fade out if you don't feel comfy. Not much into towns, even now I kinda live on the outskirts of a town in a subdivision. I don't depend on the police to save my ***. That's my job.

trax
10-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Very humorous thread.

I am always hesitant about those that throw up the gun and the badge in the name of law. When they start idolizing Wyatt Earp, I really question their sanity.

Too right!

Beo
10-29-2007, 08:59 PM
From a joke, taken from a movie, you think I lump all women into one catorgy. Just because I said a joke in bad taste doesnt mean I degrade all women or think lowly of them. I have served in the military along side some pretty capable women, I serve now as a Deputy Sheriff along side some very capable women. So if I offended you or any other women (or men) I am sorry, it was just a joke.

owl_girl
10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Alright Beowulf65 good enough.
I don’t think there’s a need to scold him any farther, I’m pretty sure he now knows where the lines are.

NorthWindTrails
10-29-2007, 10:12 PM
To return to the original question ... "IF we someday DO face TEOTWAWKI, how will we entertain ourselves?". I suppose I'll be so busy providing for my necessities, "entertainment" will likely be of the same general variety as the Voyageurs. Carving wooden utensils and decorative items (some for barter) . Attending some form of "Rendezvous" annually. Speaking of "barter", I'm not only studying the Mountain Man traditional Woodland Wisdom, but also Native lore (especially medicinal and/or wild edibles). There will be TONS of opportunity to barter for teaching the few who make it out of the chaos to the Wilderness. I have also been certified as an Emergency Medical Technician, so I plan on bartering these skills, as well. Midwifery ... simple medical treatments, etc. I don't claim to be a trained physician, but I'm sure these studies (and "practice" of all of them, in the "here-and-now"!) will be useful someday, if society as we know it collapses. Keep your powder dry! NorthWind

corndog-44
10-30-2007, 12:02 AM
I'd be living on a working homestead deep in the woods making moonshine for trade and/or barter. For entertainment I'd be watching you all and trading my shine.

owl_girl
10-30-2007, 12:21 AM
To return to the original question ... "IF we someday DO face TEOTWAWKI, how will we entertain ourselves?".
I’d entertain myself and others the same way I always do like story telling, games, music, dancing, art. Those are the non-technological ones I use any way. I think comedy is en awesome form of entertainment by the way.

nell67
10-30-2007, 02:52 AM
From a joke, taken from a movie, you think I lump all women into one catorgy. Just because I said a joke in bad taste doesnt mean I degrade all women or think lowly of them. I have served in the military along side some pretty capable women, I serve now as a Deputy Sheriff along side some very capable women. So if I offended you or any other women (or men) I am sorry, it was just a joke.

Apology accepted.