PDA

View Full Version : extending your edibles

wareagle69
08-24-2009, 09:12 PM
so if you notice in your books when you are reading them that alot of the good plants are not real palatable after spring, so one thing i did this year, was cut down a mature plant back to about 6 inches off the ground, when the palnt grows back its just like spring again, also with some such as nettles i just keep cutting off the tops and eat as they grow.....hmmm thats about it for now..

wareagle69
08-25-2009, 07:38 AM
another way of extending your growing season is to transplant some stems. i have taken some purslane that grows at my neighbors and planted it indoors at my house, trying to get many seedlings growing so i will have it during the winter, will also try with wood sorrel, sheep sorrel, chicory and dandelion, i am also looking at making a cold frame with plywood painted black and glass taken from my old windows that i had replaced this year

Rick
08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Let the purslane go to seed. The seeds resemble pepper and pops right out of the pods. It's easy to gather a LOT of seed if you just keep an eye on the plants. Then you can sow them where every you want.

Jayden Tor
08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Just an added thing here, you can sprout.

If you're in a pinch, you can take some edible seeds and sprout them and then just eat the sprouts. Beans work especially well for this because the sprouts are large. There are a few methods for doing this, put them in a moist papertowel and then in a plastic bag or you can do it in a mason jar that has a bit of water in it. If you do it in the jar, you must turn it a couple of times a day and continually replentish the sprout water with clean water.

I suppose if you are just interested in doing something out of the normal beans and rice kind of situation this would be an excellent alternative and it only takes a couple of days.