PDA

View Full Version : Feral Dogs and "Pucker Factor"

glockcop
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
While talking about the good ole times we've had with my brother he reminded me of something that happened to us years ago while squirell hunting. As he and I did a still hunt under a really nice stand of oaks, the woods came alive with something alot bigger than a squirell. My brother was sitting with his back to an oak tree with me about 10 yards away likewise sitting against a tree. He yelled with a panic to me, "Look over there". I already was trained in that direction when two feral Pit Bull mixes thundered out of the overgrowth to our left obviously following my squirell calling. Both came straight at me with mal intent for sure. All I had loaded in my 12 guage was #8 shot and I knew that would just make matters worse at that range and didn't want them any closer for a shot. I dropped my shotgun between my legs and pulled my Stainless Ruger Single Six from my hip holster. One dog stopped about 20 yards away and slowly walked in with raised bristling nap. The other dog came in at full speed. Four shots of CCI MAX-MAG later both dogs were down. We just stared at each other in utter amazement at what just happened and then broke out in nervous laughfter. All said and done we still went home with I believe six squirells that day. That was crazy and taught my brother to start packing a pistol along with his shotgun from then on. He now totes his own Ruger .22 revolver while tree rattin'. Anyone ever had to take out a viscious dog in the woods?

P.S. I never realized how easy they skin out. The meat was a little gamey though. Just Joking!

nell67
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Never killed a dog in the woods,but I have run the neighbors pack of ankle biters off with a stick before when they came at me in the woods,I did start carrying a pellet gun with me after that,and as soon as I heard them,began plinking in their direction,hit 2 and they all turned tail and ran.

glockcop
08-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Never killed a dog in the woods,but I have run the neighbors pack of ankle biters off with a stick before when they came at me in the woods,I did start carrying a pellet gun with me after that,and as soon as I heard them,began plinking in their direction,hit 2 and they all turned tail and ran.

That is some funny sh*t!

doug1980
08-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Never killed a feral dog in the woods but killed or trapped many in the Desert. While deployed there was a huge problem with feral cats and dogs. Believe it not we were told to eliminate them by whatever means necessary. We trapped them at first, but that didn't work so well. So we had to start shooting them. That took care of the problem.

Rick
08-24-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't know that I would drop the 12 gauge to use a .22.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I dunno Rick? I beleive I would of sided with the .22 too, on the account the 12 ga. was loaded with number 8. Now 4's or even 6's I would of unloaded the 12 before switching and it depends on proximity to the dogs. If they were out that far at all even 30yds. I would still agree on the .22 pistol.

glockcop
08-24-2009, 03:51 PM
I dunno Rick? I beleive I would of sided with the .22 too, on the account the 12 ga. was loaded with number 8. Now 4's or even 6's I would of unloaded the 12 before switching and it depends on proximity to the dogs. If they were out that far at all even 30yds. I would still agree on the .22 pistol.

Thanks for the back up on that one. I knew that #8 shot at 15-20 yards would just p*ss them off with my cyl. bore choke. These two were determined big time. That is why I went with the .22 Mag. The .22 mag definately handled the job without "0" problem. I did not want them comming in close enough for the #8 shot to hold a tight enough pattern to be lethal. All this decision making took place in just a couple of seconds. It worked out well as you can see. If I had #4 shot loads or larger the shotgun would have been smoking.

Pal334
08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Many moons ago when I was around 16 - 17 years old in Upstate NY, there was a pretty big problem with dogs running deer. Problem was. for some reason, they would only maim the deer, not always killing them, and seldom would eat much. The wildlife folks put a $5 bounty on them just before deer season. The only hitch was you had to have a permit, and could only use shotgun and slugs (same as for deer). My brother , cousins and I got a total of about 10 of them over the course of a week. It turns out that most were domestics that went home at night. We found this out, when we dragged them to the road, the owners would drive by and whine about poor Fido getting whacked. And they all were in good shape, so it wasn't that they were hungry. None ever were aggressive towards us. Just to put people at ease, they were chasing deer as we shot them, so there was no question on "guilt" :). I don't think I would like to meet a feral dog as you described, would indeed be scary.

glockcop
08-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Many moons ago when I was around 16 - 17 years old in Upstate NY, there was a pretty big problem with dogs running deer. Problem was. for some reason, they would only maim the deer, not always killing them, and seldom would eat much. The wildlife folks put a $5 bounty on them just before deer season. The only hitch was you had to have a permit, and could only use shotgun and slugs (same as for deer). My brother , cousins and I got a total of about 10 of them over the course of a week. It turns out that most were domestics that went home at night. We found this out, when we dragged them to the road, the owners would drive by and whine about poor Fido getting whacked. And they all were in good shape, so it wasn't that they were hungry. None ever were aggressive towards us. Just to put people at ease, they were chasing deer as we shot them, so there was no question on "guilt" :). I don't think I would like to meet a feral dog as you described, would indeed be scary.

You bet it was scarey, Pal. I knew I wasn't just being a wuss when I saw how shook up my brother was at first. I sure hope that doesn't happen to some poor unarmed hiker or woods bummer. They would definately need a good medicinal grade seamstress for the aftermath. That is why I NEVER go ANYWHERE unarmed. Maybe paranoid, but I like to call it prepared. I've run into previous arrestees a few times before while off duty with my wife and kids and sometimes, as you know, they aint real happy to see you. Ya just don't know when things will get ugly real quick like. In the city streets or in your own back 40 acerage. Take care brother....and check six often.

HanoverDan
08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Hello Everyone

On dogs that were demesticated and then abandoned. Those are the worst one out there. They have no fear of humans because they are initially raised by their pack leader a human and them abandoned.

I have killed many wild dogs here in Hanover Colorado. They were my nighbors dogs abandoned and drew together for protection. Like we would do if we as humans were set in a survival situation.

They killed my dog a beautiful Collie, my only true friend. My woman shot two of the dogs they were Chows. They were eating my dog Lance. She used a 38 and a flashlight at night. These dogs attacked and gutted horses, sheep, goats and cattle. A pack of 17 dogs. My son was in my valley when they were chaseing the neighbors horses and drove them through the fence and sliced the horses up pretty bad.

My son was in my valley on my shooting range and I watched him turn to the pack, that was actually in a V formation and he shot the lead dog. He attempted another shot at the largest one but missed.

They are all gone now and the last dog of the pack was adopted by one of my neighbors. He is a beautiful white collie.

Yes I have eaten dog and they skin out just like all other animals.
Respect
Daniel

crashdive123
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey HanoverDan - how about sniffing your way over to the Introduction section and barking out a bit of an intro for us. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

palm stalker
08-24-2009, 08:44 PM
about 30 yrs ago,i had a dog named issac..he was an austrailian sheapard dingo mix..my sister was pregnant and my bil working out of state.would pick up my dog for company. she had 1 in the playpen while hanging out clothes.. some ferral dogs(a pack of 10 to 14)got between her and the baby. she was deciding to confront them and get the baby or run to the house and get her .357.when issac came out from my bils truck streaching..sister yelled , get im issac.. now i was at work when she called.she said issac had been in a dog fight,and was covered in blood. i said wash him off with cold water at the well pump.and if hes still bleeding,take him to the vet id see her and him after work..she called back to tell me it wasnt his blood,that he just had some small cuts on his nose,ears and feet,legs. when i came to check and see to the dog i had to drag and bury 4 dogs and followed at least 3 blood trails to her property line.. we called the sheriffs animal control,the officer said they couldnt keep with complaints.we asked what to do.he said kill them if u can.we did..

glockcop
08-24-2009, 10:15 PM
about 30 yrs ago,i had a dog named issac..he was an austrailian sheapard dingo mix..my sister was pregnant and my bil working out of state.would pick up my dog for company. she had 1 in the playpen while hanging out clothes.. some ferral dogs(a pack of 10 to 14)got between her and the baby. she was deciding to confront them and get the baby or run to the house and get her .357.when issac came out from my bils truck streaching..sister yelled , get im issac.. now i was at work when she called.she said issac had been in a dog fight,and was covered in blood. i said wash him off with cold water at the well pump.and if hes still bleeding,take him to the vet id see her and him after work..she called back to tell me it wasnt his blood,that he just had some small cuts on his nose,ears and feet,legs. when i came to check and see to the dog i had to drag and bury 4 dogs and followed at least 3 blood trails to her property line.. we called the sheriffs animal control,the officer said they couldnt keep with complaints.we asked what to do.he said kill them if u can.we did..

Now that is a good dog. Bet you still miss him. I had to bury my old friend of 11 years very recently and I'm still heart broken. "Patch dog" was my constant companion where ever I went. I don't think I'll ever get over that damned dog. I look at that empty seat next to me in my truck and I feel like a train crashed through my chest. You just can't replace the really good ones can you? Best.

palm stalker
08-24-2009, 11:47 PM
no glockcop some dogs are just keepers,i had him put to sleep on nov 2 1984..he was 14 yrs old and was blind and couldnt smell or hear much..i shot and buired my guard dog at work,the same day..but i couldnt shoot issac. sorry for ur dog lose too. gp.

glockcop
08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Palm Stalker, Just out of curiosity, why did you have to shoot your dog at work. Was he just too old, hurt, or what? I was never able to drop a hammer on the ones I've been close to. I always went with the gentle push of a hypodermic needle. Just wasn't in me, I guess.

palm stalker
08-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Palm Stalker, Just out of curiosity, why did you have to shoot your dog at work. Was he just too old, hurt, or what? I was never able to drop a hammer on the ones I've been close to. I always went with the gentle push of a hypodermic needle. Just wasn't in me, I guess.

glockcop, i inheireted the dog when i took over an auto repair shop.the previous owner couldnt take him as he had hunting beagles at home.the owner took him to the vet.i never got close to the dog.he stayed inside the shop at night and on a chain outside during working hours.on his last vet visit,the vet told the owner that the old worn out dog had bad hips and liver trouble and should be put down.a few weeks later i did it for the old man..

glockcop
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Palm Stalker, I gotcha. Sounds like you did him a favor. Best.

Longranger
08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
It's been a few years ago but wife n I were coming off App. trail in Grosclose,Va. We got on route 11 heading to a Dairy Queen and from out of no where came two dogs, Pit bulls I think. Unfortunate for them though a car hit one and the other ran off. My wife shook for aa couple hours afterwords. Pucker power, you bet.

TangoFoxtrot
09-13-2009, 05:41 AM
I shot a feral dog about 17 years ago in upstate NY while hunting, I tried yelling to scare it off but it insisted it wanted to be shot in the head.

Ole WV Coot
09-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I've killed more than I wanted. Would rather have got my hands on the people that were doing their dogs a "favor" by taking them out in the country, dropping them off because they didn't have the heart to take them to the pound. I did kill one by mistake, a little ankle biter while working in a person's house. Sitting on the floor and the little rat wouldn't leave me alone, nipped me and I tapped him on the head, softly with the handle of a 10" screwdriver and he went belly up. Pushed him behind the sofa and told the lady her dogie was acting strange. Made my departure during the tears, didn't send flowers.

nell67
09-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I've killed more than I wanted. Would rather have got my hands on the people that were doing their dogs a "favor" by taking them out in the country, dropping them off because they didn't have the heart to take them to the pound. I did kill one by mistake, a little ankle biter while working in a person's house. Sitting on the floor and the little rat wouldn't leave me alone, nipped me and I tapped him on the head, softly with the handle of a 10" screwdriver and he went belly up. Pushed him behind the sofa and told the lady her dogie was acting strange. Made my departure during the tears, didn't send flowers.
I know that wasn't funny Coot,but I laughed until I had tears in my eyes.

SARKY
09-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Twice, i've been treed while hunting in Maine. The first time, i didn't have a handgun with me. Dropped my rifle and climbed like a tree rat. The pack (about 12 dogs all breeds) then proceeded to sniff and piss on my rifle. they got bored and left after about 90 minutes.
The second time I had my MKII ruger with me along with 4 spare mags. I went up the tree and waited for them to get closer (this pack had 13 or 14 dogs the alpha male was a standard size poodle , not one of those teacup things) I shot 12 of them and killed 9. i later reported the incident to the game wardens and they put a warning notice out to all hunters.

crashdive123
09-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Me too....

NightShade
09-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Same Here!

Ole WV Coot
09-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Folks I can truthfully say it took me a long time to get over that one. Now it's funny but it sure wasn't then.

glockcop
09-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Coot, that just means that you are compassionate. One of the better qualities of humans. I can be a softy about certain things too. Especially cruelty / neglect to animals. I've got no use for a viscious dog though. Hell, I like my dogs more than I like most people. No, I for damned sure don't belong to PETA:). Keep the salad. I am waaayyy too carniverous for that crap :m107:. I like to hunt for my table, but something about a poor little skinny puppy that brings out the "sucker" in me. Take care.

Rick
09-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Then you'll love this, Glockcop. This is #6 on the all time weirdest Craig's List Auction.

Wanted: Pony (http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/anc/1272471632.html)
"My kid is having a birthday coming up soon, and there'll be a lot of children around, so I figured I'd better get a pony. If you do have a pony you could sell, please contact me, and then immediately start putting barbeque sauce in it's bedding or add some Lawry's to it's salt lick - I like to marinade it early and long, so that the flavor is at it's peak by the time I take possession."

that's the link, by the way, to the actual Craig's List. Check out what city it's in.......:innocent:

crashdive123
09-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Them Alaskans sure do know how to prepare their meat.

glockcop
09-14-2009, 09:08 PM
No ponies for me thanks. Those "land mines" laying around are way to big. My dog's pile of crap are all I want on my property :). I always wanted to go to Alaska....Maybe not anymore. Wierd Dude there brother.