PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding snakes

corndog-44
10-27-2007, 07:04 AM
When I find myself in snake country I avoid snakes as much as possible but what should I do: Make a lot of noises or walk softly and quietly or just wait and travel at night? Snakes do not like people and will usually do everything they can to get out your way. Unless I surprise or corner a snake (which I'm not planning on doing), there is a good chance that I will not even see one, let alone come into contact with it. Some snakes do feed at night and walking softly may bring me right on top of snake. I tell you I make plenty of noise! Any other advice out there?

RobertRogers
10-27-2007, 07:31 AM
It is tough to avoid them altogether. I take it you live in poisonous snake country?

Up here in Northern NH there are none, however due to global warming a number of creatures have increased their range northward over last 20-years including ticks, turkey vultures, and even 'posums. I suspect rattle snakes will arrive in the next 20.

FVR
10-27-2007, 08:26 AM
I live in snake country. Snakes all over the place, copperheads, rattlers, water mocs aka cotton mouths. How I avoid them, I don't. You learn to live with them.

Water mocs when you see them in the water, stay away. They are aggressive and will chase you. I picked one up that was in a monitoring well once thinking is was one of the hoses. Latched onto my hand, luckily I was wearing leather gloves. It chased me when it hit the ground.

I run into copperheads around the house, I kill them because of the kids. Out in the sticks, I just let them be. They will usually be around rocks and the many fallen trees. When I go into these areas, I just keep an eye open. Most times they will feel you before you see them and be gone. I've seen them heading the opp. direction many times.

I back my bows with snake skins, but have decided that I will buy them now days rather than kill snakes in the wild.

Rattlers, they are around here, I've seen them dead, my friends have brought me a few, but I have not seen one. Not complaining.

I've killed my share of rattlers when I was on lrrps throughout N and S Cal., my time for hunting them them and killing them is over.

Snakes have their place on this earth and unless I need to eat one or protect myself, I just leave them alone.

corndog-44
10-27-2007, 01:48 PM
It is tough to avoid them altogether. I take it you live in poisonous snake country?

Up here in Northern NH there are none, however due to global warming a number of creatures have increased their range northward over last 20-years including ticks, turkey vultures, and even 'posums. I suspect rattle snakes will arrive in the next 20.

Copperheads and timber rattlers.