PDA

View Full Version : Gems from the Gutter - part 1

pocomoonskyeyes
08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
The very first lesson I learned about being Homeless. -- Never think that it can't happen to you. I had considered myself "above" those that were homeless. I learned quickly that it could happen to me. I was "blindsided" by events that caused me to become homeless. I allowed myself to be put in a position that eventually I could not control. Result : I became Homeless.

My second lesson, Do not assume that someone, anyone will "help" you freely. I was "let down" easy sort of. My first stop Was at a Salvation Army Men's shelter where I stayed for a while. I had to pay rent to stay there, I think it was about $40- 50 /week. Until an altercation between myself and another caused my expulsion. It was over what the "rules" of the shelter were, the other "resident" was in violation and I brought it to his attention, this escalated to a shouting match. We were both expelled.

My third lesson- never assume that those who are "helping you" will follow their own "Rules". When we had to go see the "front office" personnel we were given the opportunity to explain our side of the story. I felt since I had been following the rules I was in the right.... Boy was I wrong. To make this short and simple.. The one who broke the rules was allowed to return to the Mens shelter, the one who followed the rules (me) was evicted.

You had better be prepared for the worst! Fortunately I was better prepared due to my gentle let down into homelessness. I had purchased some items and acquired others that were given away or thrown away. Due to my experience in the military and Boy Scouts and what I had seen thus far "on the streets", I chose a little different route than your typical homeless person. I spent my first TRULY homeless night as a "Street Person" in a discarded pup tent I was fortunate to "find" at the SA drop box.( Hey I felt they owed me anyway, they didn't follow their own rules.) First night was spent in a SMALL strip of woods next to the train tracks.

Another thing that was in my favor, Some of those who had been long time residents at the shelter were on my side. Chief among those was the SA Cook, who provided me "on the sly" with some of my food. Others contributed some small items that they could afford to part with. So this is another lesson. It pays to have friends that are in a position to help,and are higher up in the hierarchy of homelessness. There is a hierarchy, among the homeless.

Learn the hierarchy!! If you don't it could get you hurt,or worse. People (yes homeless are people) have seniority in regards to choosing the best spots,gettng in line for the "soup kitchen" etc. You had better be able to take care of yourself ( or make others think you are able to) if you try to butt in line. Some are just Posers, some are real. Observe and find out who is who. It could mean your life, or loss of life. I realize most people think that homeless people are just "bums" and some won't even give them the time of day literally. That just ain't true. I've met people that would surprise you that they are homeless at all. I've met a former NFL player (who I won't name as that is his business) who got into drugs and lost everything - everything, including his dignity and pride. I've met a former university Professor, who CHOSE to be homeless ( he had a home and money).When his Family came and picked him up he would go and stay a day or two then return to the streets. My point here is this - NEVER assume that someone is this or that, you could be wrong and it could even cost you.

I started looking for a place to call home. I had an Army Duffle bag of clothes and other items that I wanted to keep. There were many places to choose from. Abandoned buildings,alleys, just look in your own town(no matter how big or small) and think about if you were homeless where would you stay. All of a sudden you will see many places that a homeless person could call home. Oddly enough I found a place not far from where I spent my first true night as homeless. It just took a little looking to find. My biggest fear was of being arrested for trespassing or vagrancy, that could mean losing everything I had, little as it was. I couldn't carry around my meager possessions all the time it was just too heavy and bulky. I found a spot on the railroad strip that had an old slag pile from some long past undertaking. It could've even stopped a .50 cal barret sniper rifle. It would hide my tent and fire from anyone passing by. Some chose underpasses and other spots that most would consider unlikely. Graveyards, under trailers from big rigs,alleys in trash piles, dumpsters,below ground entrance ways to buildings,behind parking garages,etc.etc. I was considered "Rich" by homeless standards. Look at my duffle bag compared to the bookbag backpacks most carry.

I started to feel vulnerable being alone and isolated. I started looking for a campmate. One of my friends from the SA shelter was getting kicked out since he couldn't afford to pay his room and board there. The weather was fair so he joined me in a slightly larger area about 20 yards from where I had been. A hobo camp was started.

We could get two meals a day from the "Mission" soup kitchen. So we weren't hurting there. a couple of times a week a group from the local churches would come out and provide meals and sometimes give stuff out,as well as churh services. The services weren't mandatory but it seems the better stuff was given out immediately following these services. So even those that hated religion would come and sit through them,to see what would be given out. Being homeless you depend on a very LARGE part on the generosity of other human beings,whether it's intentional or not. You scrounge,you Dumpster dive you do what it takes to get the things you NEED. You hope someone burns something in a pot and throws it away. You hope someone is evicted and their stuff thrown out and you can get some blankets or clothes. You target SA or Goodwill drop boxes. I think you may get the idea now.

My Hobo camp started to grow. Some I said no to, some we accepted,some came and went drifting with the wind,looking for a better place. All contributed. Some things we needed we had to buy. We would Panhandle to get money, one of our members got a disability check at her mothers address. We got by,we survived. It is not easy, it is not pleasant,it is not safe. But we managed,as there is safety in numbers. We got water from a scrapyard that had a faucet outside by the door, we were on camera when we got it every couple of nights. They knew where we were,they could see our camp, they never said a word and the only thing we ever took was water. One place very close by, got broke into one night,we stopped them from leaving with what they took. We went and told the Police,They were surprised we did what we did. One of the nearby businesses gave us some food.

Some of you may not know this, but the Railroad has their own cops.I found out the hard way. One morning as we were getting up and starting our coffee(compliments of the SA cook), Into our camp walked a Cop and another man and 2 others who stayed kinda' close to the road. As they walked in I said "Morning! Coffee?" The Cop started looking through our tents and walking around as if he were looking for something or someone. He said "No. we just do this about 2 times a year". I said "do what?" He said "we come in and run you off!" I said "well where are we going to go? we don't have anyplace to go!" he said in his best tough cop,boy are you in trouble now attitude as he got right up in my face- - "You don't understand do you boy, We ONLY do this about twice a year. We'll be coming in in about an hour and bulldozing this camp. So you have that much time to get what you want and get out!" While trying to perform his duty, he was in fact giving us a break. He was buying us time. We started scrambling and got about 95% of our stuff out before the bulldozer leveled our camp. We moved a whole 50 yards and waited 'til they were gone and set up all over again. The other man with the Cop was a railroad detective, I saw him one more time. He came back and told us that he could have all of us arrested for trespassing. My reply was -yeah you could, but the way I see it we are doing you a service and clearing all this land of combustible material and we are doing it in a slow and safe manner. One dead log at a time and preventing a potential fire hazard that could shut down these tracks and halt your trains from coming this way. He agreed and left and never bothered us again.

Now I've entitled this "Gems from the Gutter part one" for a reason. There is some I'm sure I have forgotten that you will have questions about. I also want to give others the opportunity to contribute, therefore each can entitle their contributions part 2 part 3 and so on. This is not about me,although I have told you my story. This is about a type of Survival that I fervently hope none of you has to experience. I look back on my time as being homeless as being a sort of Spiritual Sojourn, a time I got to get to know my Creator as I understand my Creator. It helped me grow in ways that I never thought possible. I got closer to Mother Earth, I lived, I learned. Although It was a very sad and depressing time, it was also enjoyable to a degree. You see any survival situation,Urban or Wilderness is what you make it. The better your attitude the better your chances are. I hope you both Enjoy and learn from this. I'm sorry it is so long and takes so much of your valuable time. But this is one of the lessons you learn being homeless, Time is not important,you have no schedule except that dictated by survival and learning. Thank you for reading.

This is the only picture I have of me when I was homeless. I keep it as a memento of what has been and what could be.

Rick
08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Well, you certainly didn't waste my time. I enjoyed reading it. It's easy to think thoughts such as, "get a job" or "sober up" or some other justifiable reason for not liking someone different than ourselves. Not only do you offer insight into how to survive but you give homelessness a face, a name, a persona that I doubt many, if any, of us had before. For that, I thank you.

Pal334
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I will say again, I always had less than kind thoughts about the homeless. After reading your contribution I can say that has changed quite a bit. Thank you for sharing. And as Rick said, was not a waste of my time.

tonester
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
wow poco, thanks for taking the time for writing this. man this is such a strong story! like rick said, you really did give the homelessness a face, and you really did change the way i think about this and i thank you for that. again thanks for taking your time to write your story and thank you for even sharing your story with us!

Sourdough
08-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Well Done.....Thank you....a good read. How did you get from that life to your current life.....????

Stargazer
08-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Poco, Thank you for taking youre time to share youre story with us.I am sure we can all learn from it.

Jonesy
08-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks Poco.

There is no manual for survival as a homeless person so I guess you are really doing us all a service because no one knows what life will bring tomorrow.

Keep writing as much as you want. REAL life stories are very interesting to me and I appreciate you for sharing yours.

Rick
08-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I sure don't mean to pry and if you don't wish to answer you won't hurt my feelings. Here's my question. What line of business were you in prior to becoming homeless coupled with Hope's question of how you overcame you homelessness to the life you live now.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I'll try and answer both Rick's and Hope's questions, I'll start with Rick's since it is in the beginning. I had a job that was seasonal, I did Inventories, mostly with Wal-Mart and Dollar General. It usually ran from January to late October-early November. I could collect unemployment as long as I had an address.When I lost the address I lost the unemployment.For the same reason (no address) I could not draw welfare or food stamps. I could not return to work without a place to get clean and all that,so that pretty much ended my stint in the work force as well.

To answer Hope's question. Thank's to my Creator I am a Vet! There was a program with Volunteers of America called(I hope I get this right) Veterans Reintegration Program, I think it's complete title was longer than that, but we called it the Vet's Reintegration Program. What this program did was to help homeless Vets get the education,tools,and clothes needed to get back in the workforce. I knew someone who lived in a "flophouse" where we could get a shower before work. So that took care of that aspect of it. We went to my old job and I got hired back as they never wanted that to happen to me in the first place,and had wondered what had become of me. As soon as I got a paycheck I moved into that same flophouse and started from there.This all started happening after 9-11 I think it was the spring after that Tragedy. That's how I started my return to a "Normal" life. It took years to get from there to here but We kept slugging along and so far it has worked. I'm not rich( at least not monetarily),but I'm not broke and I definitely ain't homeless anymore.
One more thing I had forgotten to say earlier I also owe my life to a dog. His name was Alex Treewalker. That dog would rather walk on a fallen tree than the ground. Well during the winter on the coldest night I pulled Alex in with me to stay Warm, It's a good thing too. The next morning a Preacher that worked extensively with the Homeless came to the Camp thinking that he would find a Frozen body. He was actually surprised when I came out to greet him. Second time in my life a dog has saved my life.

Ken
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Poco,

I've learned quite a bit from the experiences you've shared with us, and I appreciate that knowledge.

More important, however, is the fact that, as a relatively new member, you have quickly formed bonds of friendship with many of us, some in person at the Jamboree and others by way of the Forums. You have chosen to share with us a chapter of your life that many would never reveal. You have taught me other things that go far far beyond the experiences you have spoken of.

Thank you, Poco.

crashdive123
08-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Poco - very interesting and insightful read. Thanks for sharing your story with us. We can probably all learn a thing or two from your story, and as Pal said - I have not always had kind thoughts about homeless folks. That started to change when I volunteered at a local shelter and worked with veterans stand downs, but it's always good to get a fresh perspective as a reminder that it could be any one of us, for a variety of reasons, thrust into a similar situation. Thanks again.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Poco - very interesting and insightful read. Thanks for sharing your story with us. We can probably all learn a thing or two from your story, and as Pal said - I have not always had kind thoughts about homeless folks. That started to change when I volunteered at a local shelter and worked with veterans stand downs, but it's always good to get a fresh perspective as a reminder that it could be any one of us, for a variety of reasons, thrust into a similar situation. Thanks again.

You know Crash you reminded me of the "Stand down" I went to. I was Grateful they had those. A local TV station was covering the story and some there that knew me and my story asked if I would be let them interview me so they could get the "real story" of what it's like being a homeless Vet. I found out later that I was on the news (they were shooting from a distance and I had other things on my mind) when they Bulldozed my Camp. Funny what you have to do to get on TV!!! I hope I'm never on TV again!!!:dissolve:

Ken
08-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I hope I'm never on TV again!!!:dissolve:

Gee, that's too bad. A television producer client just called me and asked me to extend an offer of $1 Million Dollars to you for a 30 second interview about the Jamboree. Just as I was about to call you, your post appeared, so I told him you weren't interested. :innocent:

Winnie
08-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I'd just like to add my thanks Poco.
Like several others I will admit to having a dim view of the homeless. Thanks to you this is a generalisation I will not perpetuate. I look forward to reading more.

Rick
08-20-2009, 07:45 PM
There are some things I can easily visualize. Building a shelter I've never attempted or spending a night in extreme cold. I have some basis of experience to project forward and think through the new scenario.

I haven't a clue about survival in a homeless environment. Not only would I have to overcome the physical challenges but the mental ones as well and I have no basis of experience to call on. So being able to hear first hand allows me to begin another chapter in my skills repertoire. I feel like I've just completed, "Dear Diary", however. I look forward to not only additional input that you might share but any input others are willing to share as well.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Enjoyed this post. I tetered on the edge of an experience like this, when I was 17. I think you should copy paste your post into word or the reverse and write a book...It is something I have considered. But admittedly you have a better way with written words!

pocomoonskyeyes
08-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Uh Uh thank you CS I Thank you all. :blushing: I didn't do nothing.:blushing:

I just hope there's someone else out there willing to contribute. Come on ya'll!!! Jump on in the water is warm. This ain't about me it's about US!! You all have experiences to share and I know you are out there, There's bad things that happen in life, if that weren't true then NONE of us would be here preparing and sharing. You could just help a Brother or Sister here.Share Please!!

SARKY
08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
poco,

Thank you for that. It certainly was an expression the indominatable human spirit.

Sarge47
08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm proud of the fact that I encouraged you to do this Poco. You have written what needs to be said. Now I'm going to add a perspective from the other side of the fence. You see I spent 4 years of my life "on staff" at a "Rescue Mission." I always had a great relationship with most of the folks staying there. Some have homes now and we still communicate to this day. I also fully understand what you mean about the heads of the shelter being the enemy at times. My worse adversary was not the homeless, but the director. He was Mennonite (as well as a "control freak".) & always felt superior to those that stayed a the Mission. He also took a vehmenate dislike to my getting "close" to the Homeless that stayed there. He once told me that if I really wanted to get close to them I should "ride the rails" with them & live in their Hobo jungles. (Keep in mind that this was a "Christian" mission!" There was one guy there who, at 18 was a pediphile & a registered sex offender, yet he always had my back! Men came in there on parole from prison who later on "made it" on the out-side. Yes, there were those who just wanted a life without work & responsibility, but there were also those, like Poco said who fell into a life of addictions: Gambling, alcohol, & drugs.

One fellow came into the Mission on parole who was a "safe-cracker" & yet had the best work-ethic in the place! The guy I spoke about in the "Yo, Poco go" thread also had my back.

There was a rule against drinking & doping while being inside the Mission. Many times I had to call the police to have the offenders removed from the property when they refused to leave. Several times the homeless folks made the mistake of swinging at one of the cops & they spent the night in jail. One woman did that on Christmas eve & that thought still haunts me, yet there were people there who were trying to overcome there addictions & we couldn't have that in the shelter.

I was theatened with physical violence a few times, but nothing ever came of it. Poco, I'm so glad you came through it man! You are an inspiration! BTW, I "stuck" this thread! :cool2:

Ole WV Coot
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
I can say I listened to a sermon at a city mission once for breakfast, wasn't homeless but just financially embarrassed. I was surprised at the number of vets, this was during the early '70s, too much combat and no help at the VA. I admire you for making it out. Men I knew turned to booze and drugs. I worked in alleys in a lot of cities and could tell a vet easily. Most still had their pride, few had given up. Helped those I could, money, food or booze, didn't judge.

hunter63
08-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I had always though that the best prepared people for a SHTF are the ones that have already been thru one or more.
It would appear that you have done that and done well by your experience.
Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Growing up 50 years ago in a small railroad town, (mid way between two large cities) we had a yard, round house (repair place).
So we had the Hobo camps, the RR "dicks", didn't know what it meant at the time, and the whole hobo marking system, as to where day work was, and food etc.

As kids we would hang out with them sometimes, (What God Forbid, They will eat you, or worse) I can't imagine kids doing that today, actually I can't imagine that we did what we did.

We brought food or were sent to fetch some help with raking, odd jobs and such.

As kids we thought that they were kinda cool, and we even envisioned taking off my self.

I would suspect that homeless today are not the same, but I might be wrong.
If the economy keeps spiraling down, I think that we will see many more joining the ranks.
And it not be pretty.

equus
08-23-2009, 01:11 AM
I know that some of you know that Poco and I met on the streets but that was not the beginning for me.
See I lived with my sister and her husband but things didn't work out between us and she told me that I had to go. So I took the only thing that meant the world to me and that was Audie Murphy my Pembroke Welsh Corgi. (Poco here for just a second. Equus is crying as she writes this it is emotionally painful for her so bear with her as she exposes what she feels most vulnerable about. I did not put her up to this but she feels others may gain from it. I am here for emotional support ONLY,and to help her through this.)
I was only 21 when I hit the streets alot of people asked me why I didn't just go back home. The thing is that I felt like I got myself into this mess so I have to get myself out. My parents taught all of us to stand on our own two feet. My mom was sick and my dad didn't have much to do with me once I left home at 18.
When I hit the streets I knew noone but a guy by the name of Mike came and helped me out. He took me to the mission for food and then we went up underneath the I-40 bridge where a church had services and gave out food as well that is where I first saw Poco. He had a black lab with him. That dog was the first thing that attracted me to him. I only saw him briefly that first night I looked up and he was gone. Later that evening Mike took me to an underpass and that is where I spent my first night on the streets. No blankets nothing but the clothes on my back and Audie.
All I knew was that I needed to be with someone that could protect me so since Mike showed me that I stayed with him. I have never done drugs and knew that on the streets that the druggies and pimps would make it hard for me to survive on the streets by myself so I knew that in some ways I needed protection for my own survival. Mike and I ended up geting married I did not do it because I loved him but because I felt like I owed him an obligation because he protected when I first hit the streets. That was a mistake that I wish that I could undo. He did not want to get off the streets he was very proud to be there. He never cared that I was frightened with everything going on around me. I finally had enough and I left him.
After that I knew that I needed to do something different so I went back up under the bridge for food and that is when I saw Poco again. I knew that he had a camp so I asked him if I could come there and stay for awhile. He accepted me and my dog. Audie did not stay with me on the streets for long I found him a temporary home with a lady that came up under the bridge with the church. I told her that Audie didn't need to be there because he wouldn't eat much because he felt like he had to guard me all the time so I did what was best for him and got him off the streets for awhile anyway.
I asked Poco if he knew where I could go get a job at because I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life on the streets I was raised better than that. Circumstances put me there but I was going to get off if I could. He told me that he could get me a job with just his word at first I didn't believe him but he took me there and sure enough I had a job even though I was still homeless. I worked on that job while homeless for 3 more weeks then was able to find a place like Poco said it was a flophouse but it was a roof over my head. Poco and I have been together ever since that fateful time and I am grateful that I have a man like him because he knew that I would not survive out there for a long period of time because I had no knowledge of how to survive. I have learned alot from him. He doesn't know how grateful I am that we have lasted as long as we have and hopefully we will have many more years together. He was the man that I was looking for a long time.
I know to some this may not be a survival theme but to me I had to overcome alot. I had to know my limits and then not be scared to ask for help because I didn't know if someone would harm me or not. I looked to my dog for that because if Audie growled at someone I wouldn't go to them because he knew peoples intentions better than me. No it is not surviving in the wilderness but it is surviving in a suburban area where you have to make friends or die pretty much. That was a hard time for me but also rewarding in the fact that you learn who you really are as a person.

Ken
08-23-2009, 01:21 AM
That musta' been very hard to write. I'm glad you found each other. And I hope you both have many more very happy years together. I'll never forget what I just read. Thank you for sharing.

And Poco, it's a good thing you had that black lab. :)

equus
08-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks Ken I just hope that someone can learn from my experience and it helps them out in their time of need.

If it weren't for that black lab I wouldn't of given him the time of day he was very scary to look at good thing I don't go by appearances!!!!

pocomoonskyeyes
08-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Thank you Equus it means a lot to me to know you have the strength and courage to meet and overcome your fears. To use a saying from the 70's YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY!!! You are definitely stronger than when I met you. You've overcome a lot. If it ween't for you I would probably still be on the streets and who knows where I would've ended up.
Thank Goodness for Alex the Black Lab!!!
love ya'
-Catfish (my street name)

Mountain Man
08-23-2009, 03:25 AM
Wow!

I am at a loss for words with how I feel for you two sharing these hard parts of your lives with us... it is absolutely amazing, and I am glad I can be apart of it.... even if it through a monitor reading!

Thank you very much.

Pal334
08-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Equss,, Thanks to you folks for furthering my education

Sourdough
08-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Equus, Well done thank you for sharing, That was a very powerful essay. I wish you both a long....healthy...and happy life. Well done young lady, well done.

Rick
08-23-2009, 07:32 AM
What a very powerful story. The two of you have probably overcome more hardship than most of us will ever face. Thanks for sharing your story with us. There are a lot of lessons there for all of us.

crashdive123
08-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Equus - thanks for sharing your story. You don't give yourself enough credit. Also, I think Poco knows how much you appreciate what he did. After having met both of you - you are perfect together. I wish you both long life and happiness together.

equus
08-23-2009, 10:47 AM
thanks again guys. that was hard for me to write but sometimes it is easier being homeless no responsibilities but only how to survive. that was a good and bad time in my life. see since that time i have lost the greatest person in my life and that was my mother. she died in 03 there was tensions between us the last 3 years of her life and once we started talking again and trying to connect once again she got real sick with cancer again. she lived in pennslyvania at that time and i lived in ky very far apart from each other. I was adopted by her and my dad. when i got notified the sheriff told me it was late at night. i told mel i was going home for the funeral. i guess the worst thing though is the day that we buried my mom i also lost my dad. some of you are like how did you lose your dad when he did not die. i lost him becuse he saw us different even though he adopted us we weren't biological so when mom died he turned his back on all of his adopted children. there was 4 of us. i do stay in contact with my siblings from time to time. but now poco is the only one in my life and my children. robbie my oldest carries my moms middle name that is lynn she spelled her different though it was spelled lynne. i gave him that name because i was not supposed to be able to have children see i had 4 miscarriages before him i believe that my mom helped carry him. my youngest is called bret because he was named after mel's best friend who passed away 3 weeks before he was born. he had no children of his own so we decided that we would name our youngest one after him. the two boys carry names that i am very proud to have given them.

Ken
08-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Just in case it happens again...........

"Ken" is a very nice name, too! :) But I wouldn't go naming any son of mine "WE," "2dumb," "Rick," or "Sarge." Just sayin'. :innocent:

Lorna
08-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Poco and Equus, there are no words to explain how your stories have touched my life. I'll just say a sincere thank you from the bottom of my heart and leave it at that.

Riverrat
08-23-2009, 03:28 PM
All I can say is wow. That must of been hard to share.......but sounds like things are working out in the end for you both.

Winnie
08-23-2009, 04:20 PM
You two have an awful lot to be proud of. I really can't imagine how you both lived thru that period of your lives, but I'm glad you did and you're sharing what are obviously painful times with us. After reading your words, I can honestly say my pet peeves have well and truly been put into perspective and I'm somewhat ashamed at moaning about some things now.
You both really do deserve a long and happy life together!

equus
08-23-2009, 06:40 PM
thanks WW that means alot. We are pretty happy with each other. that was a hard time but we prevailed and overcame it a little at a time.

Rick
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
No matter the past, no matter the future. You guys have two little Mels that are pretty special guys. That alone makes just about everything tolerable.

We yak on here all the time about today's young generation not being outdoors and playing. Their two know what playing is all about. I was washing out a pan when they came up out of the creek like little rockets.

"Snake!" They yelled. "Come look! Come on!" How can you resist that? That's exactly what it's all about!

crashdive123
08-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I know they wore out Mrs. Crash when she was watching them. She really enjoyed it, but not something she is used to.........well.........kind of........not that I bear watching or anything like that.

Rick
08-23-2009, 06:56 PM
She probably doesn't have to change your diaper. Just sayin'........

crashdive123
08-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Well there was that one time.......shoot! Did I say that out loud?

Ken
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I was washing out a pan when they came up out of the creek like little rockets.

"Snake!" They yelled. "Come look! Come on!" How can you resist that? That's exactly what it's all about!

They were calling everyone's attention to you, Rick. :sneaky2:

Rick
08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Uh huh. And you didn't get any of the peach OR cherry cobbler did you? There's a reason you didn't get any of it. You can think about that if you need to. By the way, I'm keeping track of all the foul things you call me. I'm going to talk to Chris about a slow ban just for you.

Ken
08-23-2009, 07:05 PM
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-80707182936312_2063_5971176

Sarge47
08-23-2009, 11:27 PM
This just goes to prove that "survival" is NOT fun & games. Both of you had a helluva time, & I'm glad you came out the other side ok. But I've noticed that there's no talk about a big "survival knife" that you were carrying around. Numpties need to pay attention here! :cool2:

equus
08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
there was a knife. poco had 3 on him at all times. one on his back and two on his sides.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Well that's true but they weren't the Big monstrosities that Sarge is talking about. I carried 3 folding liner locks all CRKT's - Point Guard, M16 and another that I don't recall off hand I think it was a different version of the m16. Hey my street name was "Catfish" I had to have 3 sharp "fins".

I left out just how violent the streets can be, people were killed while we were out there You really need some form of protection, a lot of homeless carried some kind of "weapon". One guy called "Highway" carried a claw hammer and slept with it.some just a "walking stick".

HanoverDan
08-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Lifes decisions are what we have. that is all we have.
I came from a POS place called Valley Station Ky. Born to a bastard and a Bit==. Both uneducated and mean beyond reason. I like many others made decisions and gained predjudices from our folks.
Our homeless friend has reasons to be homeless mostly decisions that he made. Like temporay work. Seasonal work is just that seasonal and not for a life time..

I am glad you got up on your feet. Now where are you going to walk to.

Respect
Daniel
USMC/Army Airborne

rebel
08-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Thank you for sharing a difficult time and helping us to learn. A question, I don't mind helping a homeless person but, I don't want to help the scammer. How can you tell the difference?

Sarge47
08-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Thank you for sharing a difficult time and helping us to learn. A question, I don't mind helping a homeless person but, I don't want to help the scammer. How can you tell the difference?It's hard to spot a real scammer; most of them appear to want to work, & the stories that some of them will tell you are scams. Here's one way; In our town, & others around here, panhandling is illegal. A scammer wants money, usually for drugs & alcohol, while a homeless person usually is looking for food, clothes, a bed with a roof over their head, etc.. However, the scammer, being hindered by the "No Panhandling" law, will have a sign that is designed to tug on your heartstrings. Here are a couple: "Homeless Vet needs to fix car to get home!" or: "Will work for food!" I saw one of these a few years back with the "food" sign a short distance away from a fast food place. People would bring him food, which he quickly stashed in a backpack, wanting to gain cash instead. Here's what I do: I ask them where there car is, for example. Then I explain that I know someone who's a top mechanic who can help them, or I direct them to someplace who will. If they decline the help, it's more than likely a scam. When they do that I call the police & tell them that there's a person in trouble who needs help. If they can convince the cops that their plight is a serious one then the police will not only direct them, but often will take them to where they need to be. When I worked at the Mission the police were always bringing people in for food, clothing, & a bed. "3 hots and a cot," as they liked to call it! I never give somebody like that money, but will help them get to the right agency, pantry, etc.. I have even offered food from my own pantry to some. Always talk to them & then check out their story. I believe in helping those that are truly in need, but I've seen a lot of scam-artists in my time as well. Later on I'll relate one guy that took me two days to crack his story; it's pretty wild. :cool2:

Solanum
08-26-2009, 12:36 AM
thanks for sharing your story

pocomoonskyeyes
08-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Rebel that's a hard one to answer. Like when someone is "flying a sign"(homeless slang for holding a sign at a on ramp or such with wording like "will work for food" etc.) Take them up on what their sign says(or at least offer to) offer work if they take you up on the offer then they are probably genuine. a lot if not most are just asking for money(but not all) another variation is "stranded need help" they might be really stranded,and just need a tank of gas. (yes some do have vehicles, that IS their "house"). There was one Faker/fraud/con artist that I saw hold a sign every day at the same spot, 3 or 4 times a day his wife? Girlfriend? would stop and he would give her the money he had gotten so far. He made a living out of it... and made it harder for those who really needed it. There are frauds. I mean I even flew a sign when I had to have money for something I couldn't get any other way. I hated doing it, absolutely hated it. But I had to on ocassion, That may be the key too, frequency of panhandling. There are other ways of getting money when you are homeless most of which are illegal. Taking wiring out of abandoned buildings etc. Panhandling is illegal every place I've been. But if you need money and you need it quick(that's a relative term maybe quicker is better),Panhandling is the easiest fast way to get cash. If you see someone out there for 2 or 3 days and then don't see them for a while,they are probably "genuine" (for lack of a better word)
You see the psychology of the sign "will work for food" is this - Most people are NOT going to take a dirty homeless person home to cut the grass, rake the leaves etc. Those that feel compassionate enough would rather just pull over and give them 2 or 3 dollars or so. Some are not even hungry. Bring back a burger off the dollar menu, judge from their expression,whether they are genuine or not. Chances are that 95% are really after the money, not necessarily just to con you out of yours,but because there is something that they NEED that they can't get any other way. Out of that 95%, probably half need money for drugs or alcohol the other half probably need something,cigarettes, food, pots,blankets, coats etc.The other 5% are nothing but pure con artist.Sometimes though they are trying to provide something for themselves AND someone else. I knew a couple that that was the only way they could get stuff. She would Fly and he would wait and worry if she was alright. If he could go and hide in some bushes nearby he felt better about her safety, he could watch out after her. He was totally illiterate couldn't read a word other than his name.
When all is said and done I don't know if I could tell you if a person was genuine or not. Just like you and I , I would have to get to know them. Man I'm sorry I don't even feel like I've answered your question at all. Maybe given you some insight into the why's but not the answer you are looking for. If there are many homeless in your area, chances are that somebody somewhere is working with the homeless. Find out who, you might be surprised at what insights they can give you. They know the individuals and probably know their story. Homeless kind of have to get to know you before they will talk to you much or trust you, so the homeless outreach people have the groundwork in and probably know who is who in the scheme of things. When I was on the street I could've told you who was genuine and who wasn't because I knew them. Trust is a very precious thing among the homeless, it isn't usually given freely. Oh they may talk to you and tell you there story, but trust you, probably not they've been hurt cheated and lied to. They don't trust anyone very easy.

equus
09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
thanks guys for what you all said. that was a difficult time but people can do one of two things they can either learn and move on for the better or they can stop and drown in their own sorrows. i have grown a lot since those years but i always look back on those years to remember where i have come from. i have dreams and know that with hard work i can accomplish what i set out to do. it may be hard but i know i can do it.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-26-2009, 01:01 AM
There is help for you under Kentucky Law. This is the Law -
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/040-00/340.pdf
You should check with the state's Community Assistance Center in your area.

rwc1969
09-26-2009, 07:58 PM
.... I could collect unemployment as long as I had an address.When I lost the address I lost the unemployment.For the same reason (no address) I could not draw welfare or food stamps. I could not return to work without a place to get clean and all that,so that pretty much ended my stint in the work force as well.....

It wasn't until I realized this, thanks to a former co-worker, that I understood why so many are homeless. Yes, some choose to be homeless and are in fact lazy bums. But, there are many who, just like you, had an unfortunate set of circumstances land them in this position.

I hope more people realize this and will encourage our gov't to change the laws and ways these freebies are handed out. So, that people who really need them have access to em and provide a way for folks to get out of this situation if they want to.

After losing my home I could have easily been left in this same position. Fortunately, I had a place and family to stay with...an address, phone# and a place to clean up.

Glad you told this story Poco.

Matt86
10-22-2009, 11:11 PM
wow poco..that was a five star read my friend. Thanks for taking the time to share that with us. That one is going to stick with me for a while i bet....you should write a book..i would buy one for sure.

Chiefman
10-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Thank you Poco for a great life story. Valuable lessons for anyone.

Appolion
10-29-2009, 04:34 AM
I will say again, I always had less than kind thoughts about the homeless. After reading your contribution I can say that has changed quite a bit. Thank you for sharing. And as Rick said, was not a waste of my time.

ditto

Thanks OP

Rick
10-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Hey, Op. How about heading over to our Introduction section and telling us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

your_comforting_company
01-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I've read this thread several times without comment. Sadly, I still don't know what to say. This is very inspiring and heartfelt.

And to think you came from this, to your own homestead farm. Dreams can come true. Perseverance pays off. Sometimes you have to suffer to appreciate the simple(r) things in life. I'm honored to have you as a friend that has true experience.

pocomoonskyeyes
01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I've read this thread several times without comment. Sadly, I still don't know what to say. This is very inspiring and heartfelt.

And to think you came from this, to your own homestead farm. Dreams can come true. Perseverance pays off. Sometimes you have to suffer to appreciate the simple(r) things in life. I'm honored to have you as a friend that has true experience.

I also consider you a friend and a good one at that.

You know what they say, "Behind every successful man there is an ambitious woman." Equus - Dottie deserves a LOT of credit. It was she who gave me the inspiration and drive to leave the streets behind. It was she, who said "I can't keep living like this." It was her, who said, " I don't know where we can get a job." This made me recall that not all my bridges were burnt. IF we could find a way to get a bath on a regular basis (harder than you might think on the streets), I knew where we could get a job. That job thought highly enough of me,(and worried about where I was,although I didn't know it.) That her interview consisted of - "So you've known Mel for a while huh? Well you have got a job." They chatted for a few more minutes just for appearances sake, and we were hired. It wasn't easy, some nights we slept in some bushes outside the office,just so we would be there when it was time to leave at 2:30 in the morning. But we gradually "Moved up" in the world. And now you know where the credit truly lies. With a woman who I felt I had to protect and get out of that life.

As Paul Harvey would say- "Now you know the rest of the story.....Good Day!"

BENESSE
01-04-2010, 06:39 PM
:angel:Some girl, Dottie!!!
You ain't bad either, Poco.;)

pocomoonskyeyes
01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
:angel:Some girl, Dottie!!!
You ain't bad either, Poco.;)

Girl you need glasses!! That or you didn't look to hard at my picture(I don't Blame you though, Even I try not to look at my pictures!! LOL).

On a serious note - Thank you!:dodge::pirate:angelwings:
Dottie on the other hand can be an :angel: AND a :devil2: She does have her moments!(*Looking over shoulder*)
Mostly though she is an :angel:
Just once I got to be a :knight:

your_comforting_company
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
She might have been your inspiration, but you are the one who took the initiative to make the changes necessary to get your lives together. With a Good Woman driving you forward, and a good head on your shoulders, you worked together to achieve what (at the time) seemed like the impossible. Her determination and undying devotion led you both to a better life.
That deserves much respect for both of you.
I really just don't have the words to express what this story means to me every time I read it, and theres not a lot I can say about it without actually having walked that path. It does display incredible courage and ambition and perseverance. I am inspired beyond words my friend.
'nuff said

Mtnman Mike
01-06-2010, 03:09 AM
I just hope there's someone else out there willing to contribute. Come on ya'll!!! Jump on in the water is warm. This ain't about me it's about !! You all have experiences to share and I know you are out there, There's bad things that happen in life, if that weren't true then NONE of us would be here preparing and sharing. You could just help a Brother or Sister here.Share Please!!

Extremely good thread. Most people I know will not even talk about the homeless and act like they don't exist for after all, they don't know any of "those" kind of people.

I was almost homeless at least once and Hope I never will be. I should not be as long as I can live on my mtn place and make a little money up there working for neighbors with cabins, which I am the only "cheap" labor they can get up there. And readily available anytime.

A few stories I could tell but briefly, the closest experience with many homeless I had was in Eugene, Oregon in 1983. That was a year I had no job but had saved up money and was traveling all over the West. I spent a couple months in Eugene for I liked the area and just got a one room apt. for $150 a month.

There were homeless people all over the streets. I could not walk anywhere without getting asked for a quarter etc. A retired alcoholic truck driver had an apt next to me and had several homeless people around all the time.

Once I was standing there talking to them and a guy vomited and I could see he had ate some bologna. I also saw a guy climb into a dumpster and come out with aluminum cans. In Oregon they paid 5 cents for each can.
One homeless guy was especially bothersome and would not leave me alone. Once he even banged hard on my apt. door. I did not answer but had a nightstick ready in case he did break thru. I had a chair against the door and doorknob. I spent a lot of time listening to the radio and walking all around Eugene.

After two months of this and no job prospects I decided I might as well go back to Colorado, where I was born and raised.

I have volunteered for the Salvation Army as a bell ringer, being able to wear a bear costume, which was fun and brought kids and others to the kettle. It was very hard for me to ring the bell without the costume. But I saw All kinds of people who gave, most did not. I thought they could not even give a measly quarter? But I think anymore many people have no change, just cards. Which the Salvation Army has some kettles in big cities with a card scanner.

That year about five years ago, when I rang the bells I also helped serve meals to the homeless in Greeley, CO Which Greeley has a population of around 80,000 people and I thought surely there are not too many homeless? But around 100 people everyday would come to eat at the Salvation Army.

I should volunteer more there and the Salvation Army is the Only church I have went to for the past 20 years. The wilderness is my main church now but as an organized church the Salvation Army has about all the others beat for they actually Do what they preach and what the Bible says about feeding, helping and caring for the poor etc....

I would like to turn my mtn place into a survival camp for the poor and whomever would or could live up there. But hopefully and maybe someday.....

Btw, poco, that pic of yours looks a little like me, only my beard is longer and scragglier, after I have been on my mtn place a few months. Especially around Oct. when I have been up there for four months.

pocomoonskyeyes
01-06-2010, 03:17 AM
Thank you Mike! I appreciate you telling of your experiences, That is what I wish, That more will share their story so that others can understand what it is like. That and to learn in case they end up there themselves. I am happy to see that you have overcome that, and found some measure of stability and happiness.

AVENGED
01-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Probly One Of The Best Threads Around Here!!! I've Never Been Homless Thankfully. But My Brother Who Has Always Been Very Arrogant Lost His Well Paying Job And He Found Another Job That Paid Far Less. And Hes Been Humbled By The Experence Of Not Having Everything He Wants And Having To Worry About His Home. I Think This Economic Downturn Has Humbled Some People And Some Snobby Kids I've Known. People Have Found Out That Just Staying At Home And Having A Family Dinner And Watching A Movie As A Family Has Been Farrrr Underated. Sometimes It Takes Being Knocked On Your Arse To Be Thankfull For What And WHO You Have.

I've Always Tried To Help Where I Can. A Friend Who Works At A Work Store Gets Me Carhartt Insulated Coveralls For What They Pay And I Try And Get 3 Every Winter And Give Them To People On The Street. Even Just Talking To Someone Whos Fallen On Hard Times And Treating Them With Respect Can Be A Very Uplifting Experence For Them... And Shaking Their Hand Is A Gratifying Experence In It's Self....

Ted
01-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Poco, great story bro! Not great what happend to you....you know what I mean!

I was homeless by choice ,for religious and political reasons, that I will not disscus, but it was easy for me, cuz I hung out it the woods alone most of my childhood. So living in parks and along the local rivers and creeks till I'd get the feelin' "time to go",was quite easy! I would still visit family and freinds, who of course thought I was nuts, but I was happy and healthy so, it was all good.

I weld up a couple of times reading your story! You as I have seen the world and people from a perspective many will never see.

One time me and my first wife went to K-Mart to apply for jobs. We had only enough money for bus fair there and back. Well when we were waiting for the bus to go home, a little boy and his mom were also waiting for the bus and the little guy went and sat on one of those ride thingys thats always in front of the store. His mom told him she didn't have the money for the ride, so I put a quarter in it for him. My wife looks at me and says "Now WE don't have enough for the bus"
I just said no biggy and started to ask people if I could bum a quarter for the bus. I had never done this before and was appauled at the way people acted,you'd thought I had lepoursy or some thing. After asking about 50 people I was begining to get pi**ed. So the next guy I ask told me no ,of course,so I say "Your going shopping and don't have a quarter!" He told me he worked there ,so I said "YOU GOT A FINE JOB AT K-MART AND DON'T HAVE A QUARTER!" well he just slithered away like snakes do. Well some old guy who saw the whole ordeal came up to me grinnig and handed me a $5. I told him I just needed a quarter for the bus, and he told me he didn't have any change and I should go somewhere before the cops show up ,buy a soda and cool off! So me and Bon went to the gas station and got us a soda,when we came out the police were at K-mart! Don't know for sure it was for me but probably was!

pocomoonskyeyes
01-16-2010, 12:07 AM
That was hilarious!! Maybe not to someone who hasn't been there buuuut..... Having been there I can see the humor. There were one or two guys out on the streets that would intentionally cause a scene just to get thrown in jail for a couple of days. Their reasoning was that - "Hey I get a nice shelter and meals for a couple of days.... maybe a month." I never did get nervy enough to try that,no matter how bad the weather, I was too afraid of losing the stuff I had. Leave it unattended for a day and it's gone!! I always tried to stay on the "good side" of the law. It helped out, one Cop would always check in on me and against the department policy he actually gave me some stuff he had "laying around" at home. Some 550 cord and some stuff like that. Yeah there were good moments.... Like this relationship with this Cop. I consider him a friend,and would help him any time.

I guess I need to say this again.
Folks this is NOT "my" thread. Yeah I started it. Someone has to take the first step.It is OUR thread. If you have been homeless - SHARE! Tell of your experiences,and lessons you learned. You just might help save someone's life.
You wouldn't believe how many times I have checked to see who is on-line reading which post and discover that one of our Guests is reading this. A couple of days ago 3 guests were reading it at the same time!! They may need to know what you know.
I know it is hard, I procrastinated for several days after Sarge asked me to do this. You have a one of a kind opportunity,an opportunity to share something bad in your life. Not for pity,but to help someone else. Like that time you asked for something to eat and someone gave you something, maybe a PB&J, but something. That is why I called this "Gems From The Gutter", You all have some of those "Gems" in you....Won't you bring them to the light and let them sparkle?

Trust me, the first few times you see someone is reading this, knowing it has a part of you, you will be nervous. You will. But when you realize that you may be helping someone you will feel really good.

A saying I have always liked..."A burden shared is halved... a joy shared is doubled". We all have some things we need "Halved", and some things we need "Doubled". Don't let it slip by.

equus
01-16-2010, 02:23 AM
To Poco you have the greatest inspiration in my life. I love you with my whole heart. I really don't know what to say to you about the way I feel about you. You are my knight in shining armor.

Mtnman Mike
01-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Probly One Of The Best Threads Around Here!!! I've Never Been Homless Thankfully. But My Brother Who Has Always Been Very Arrogant Lost His Well Paying Job And He Found Another Job That Paid Far Less. And Hes Been Humbled By The Experence Of Not Having Everything He Wants And Having To Worry About His Home. I Think This Economic Downturn Has Humbled Some People And Some Snobby Kids I've Known.

And That is what a few people I have seen post in various forums hope will happen with many of the arrogant people who have always looked down on the poor and homeless.

Here is another thread that I believe goes well with this good homeless thread > http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10071

Batch
01-16-2010, 01:00 PM
I've spent a couple of months in my teens "homeless". I got thrown out of my folks the first time at 15. Slept that night on the concrete floor in a picnic shelter. Didn't sleep much and got up bright and early the next day and met up with a buddy who knew a guy with a nursery. We pulled weeds and hacked away at stuff all day in summer heat to earn enough for some McDonald's and an efficiency near Fort Lauderdale beach. Had some weird exploits and I am sure the statutes of limitations have forgiven me my crimes. But, I'll just say that we kept that efficiency for about 2 weeks and met some real doosies there.

After loosing the efficiency, we slept on the beach. We had five in our little group and we tried to figure out a way yo get another room. Had to move from the beach, which wasn't bad at all, because the cops would come around.

Stayed with my girlfriend in her Mom's place for a week and then went back out on my own with my girlfriend in tow. Finally after a couple months I came to terms with folks and my girlfriend with hers and went back home.

Most of the folks I met put their addictions in front of responsibility and that is how they got there. Some were runaways or had been thrown out by family. Some were bad people that always put themselves first. But, most formed little co-operative groups scheming for the next place, drink or drug.

AVENGED
01-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I Think It Goes The Same As Anything Else. As With Any Other Group Of People There Are A Few Who Are Hostile And Non-Sociable, But The Majority Aren't... Being A Welder On Some Job Site We've Employed Homeless People And They Have Been Some Of The Friendliest And Funny People I've Met. They Say Struggle Builds Character, And Of Homeless People This Is True. I Think I've Learned More Life Lessions From The Homless Than Anywhere Else. The Most Important Thing I Think I've Learned From Them Is To Laugh, Laugh At Your Everyday Problems, Laugh At Your Flaws. Anything That Brings You Down You Can Laugh At And It'll Make Everything Seem Like A Smaller Problem...

standingbear
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
new to this site, thanks for yourstory of your time on the streets it gave me a new insight to the people on the street, thanks.
Standingbear

crashdive123
02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey there standingbear - how about giving us some insight into you by posting an Intro. Thanks - you can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

hunter63
04-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Just wanted to say the part of my inspiration for the Living in a bus thread came from reading this thread

Scaru
08-04-2010, 06:55 AM
i dont think the comment of kids not being "outdoor savy" is totally untrue

Sourdough
08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
i dont think the comment of kids not being "outdoor savy" is totally untrue

Wow a triple "Negative" sentence, you must live in D.C. (Now if a double negative, reverses the first negative, what does a third negative in a sentence do".........? Are you really Alan Greenspan.....?)

JPGreco
12-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Excellent thread for sure.

I don't necessarily look down on the homeless, but in my area, a lot of them have addictions, which makes it hard not to shake my head at. NY historically offers a lot to the homeless, so we have a large population. I used to ride the train out of NYC every monday night and every time, the same lady would have the same story. I learned early to almost never give money, but as stated in the thread, offer what the person is asking for.

That and maybe its just a NY thing or a sign of modern times, but the panhandlers around here are awful. I guess take it for what it is, advice on how NOT to ask for some change. One group won't even get off their *** to ask, they just holler "yo, got a dollar?". Another kid rode up to me on a bike listening to an ipod and asked for a dollar. Really? And I'm the kind of person who leaves quarters for the people in line behind me when their kid wants something out of the candy machine or tosses change when they are short. I mean go hold a door at a convenient store. I'd buy you a cup of coffee if I saw you opening the door for everyone. I understand that this isn't always an option, but their is always something you can do to show that you're trying to earn a couple of bucks.

Again, not to sound condescending, just a word of advice if applicable.

And we give work to the kids at the local ministry house when we can, which is always good. Some of them I really liked too. Good kids, just had a run of bad times through either bad family life or drugs. My favorite guy was a recovering cocaine addict. He was funny as hell, clean, and hard working.

Wes in the Rockies
01-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Well that was a wonderful Thread, I don't post much but I spend allot of time reading. I have read a many thread here, but I don't think any have touched me as this one did, Thank you both!

My wife and I both help feed the homeless and I can say it is a very humbling experience. I am sure some are not really as "homeless" as others, but all in all everyone appreciate a good hot meal. I myself when I was younger chose to live in my truck working odd jobs here and there, till my parents caught wind of it and came and got me! Guess they wanted something different for me. In some ways I have always wondered in the back of my mind what may have become of me if they wouldn't have came to Wy to "recuse" me. I have always been a sort of a survivalist.

Thanks again for sharing your life with me!
Wes

Pocomoonskyeyes3
01-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Thank You Wes, for your kind words and for helping others who are in that situation. To be quite honest, I had doubts about posting this, but Sarge,well Sarge encouraged me a LOT! Otherwise I may never have said anything about that part of my life except in passing. I was kind of ashamed of ever being there in the first place. I still don't tell many people I know in real life, simply because of the stigma attached.

You know, if it weren't for Sarge this thread wouldn't exist, that much I do know.

crashdive123
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Just remember Poco - if it weren't for Sarge the Numpty thread wouldn't exist either. Just sayin'.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Just remember Poco - if it weren't for Sarge the Numpty thread wouldn't exist either. Just sayin'.
LOL Yeah I guess you have a point.... I'm just a different kind of Numpty.

Willie
08-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Great stories. Thanks for sharing that part of your life. I always try to give when someone is in need. It feels good to know that giving to the people who realy need it does make a difference.

Willie

shiftyer1
08-05-2011, 02:46 AM
I was pretty wild in my youth. When I was 15 momma told me it was better if I didn't come back home. I came home to get my things and off I went. I was lucky because alot of my friends worked in fast food and brought home what was going to be thrown away. I crashed on couches here and there until I wore out my welcome. The summer wasn't bad at all, the problem was that by fall and winter I ran out of couches. I lived under a bridge for the winter where I could have a fire and stay kind of warm. There was a happy chef restaurant open 24hrs nearby where I could pay $1.00 and drink coffee and stay warm until they told me to leave. Sometimes it was a long time sometimes it was an hour. I can't even start to describe what life was life at this point, i've deleted entire paragraphs several times while typing this post because I just can't post it online. It ain't easy to share things like this. I ended up meeting a kid whose parents let me move in around febuary thank god, I was very sick and I don't think I would have lasted. I had phenomia (sp) and was just in poor shape! They helped me get work and...well.....that was 15 years or so ago.

I post this because alot of kids want to run off and live this way for the excitement.....it is exciting at times but it damn sure ain't the way to go!!!!!!!!!!! Mostly it's just miserable, cold, hungry and just plain lonely!

I live in Texas now but I know I can make it through a Minnesota winter.....mostly.

Phaedrus
08-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I have had some very bad times where I lived on the knife's edge but thankfully I've never teetered over that brink into homelessness. But of course with the current economic climate any of us could be on the streets. So although this isn't a story about me, I will say I'm the guy who'll "give you a quarter." A couple years ago I stopped by a Taco Bell on the way home to get some grub for my GF and I. There was a dude sitting out front asking if anyone could help him out with just a taco or something. I tell him I'll be right back, and I order like a half dozen items and large drink for him. I know, lame story on my part but I didn't care about what brought him to that point...I just saw a dude that was hungry and needed a little break. He had a pretty decent looking backpack, so even though he was a bit unkempt his story must have longer than that.

Thing that I regret is that he asked me for a ride to the bus depot. It was five miles the opposite direction and my GF was waiting for dinner. And of course I didn't wanna risk being found by the road side, throat slashed and car stolen. I'm altruistic but not entirely stupid. But I got a good vibe from him and I hope he made it to where he was headed alright.

Rick
08-09-2011, 09:11 AM
I sometimes think a true hero is one that knows the difference between altruism and stupidity and acts accordingly. Good post.

paul m
08-17-2011, 03:13 PM
My Brother became homeless 2 yrs ago.A combination of economy and marriage breakdown .He was a wreck on a cold January night on our doorstep.A year after coming to us, my Brother got a place to live,after rebuilding his business.He learned to cook(thanks to my lovely Wife)and to shop,and to generally look out for himself.

He is now very prosperous.He contributes to homeless charities.So do I.

Rick
08-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Good for you, Paul, for taking him in. We are our brother's keeper. Good for him for working to get his life back in order.

paul m
08-18-2011, 02:10 PM
He has helped me since when I lost my job.Family is the strongest force on Earth I think .

Rick
08-18-2011, 04:05 PM
And it certainly should be in my book.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
09-04-2011, 03:23 PM
For those who would really like more info on the "How" to survive as a homeless person, OR are just interested in these aspects from someone who has been there, Here's something for you. I recently started talking to the owner of this site, and after he learned that I too had once been homeless said he had an excellent article from a guy who was also once homeless. Where mine is a story, this one is a "Text book" or instructional. I have to say that this guy knows his stuff. I DO have permission from the owner of the site(Don) to post a link to this instructional. I must say it is an excellent read on the subject. It seems that the original author has dropped out of sight..... I just pray he's safe.

http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm

hunter63
09-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks for posting this, funny how it all sound so logical when written down.
I have seen this somewhere, and enjoyed it then, enjoyed it bagain.
Book-marked.

nig
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi i was homeless too it was veryhard at first but got better as you will see ps still miss it in a way it tool a few years to ajust to having a place of my own and being a dad.
see some mad stuff and did some mad things too.

equus
10-19-2011, 12:11 PM
I have sat down and red through this again. I am crying again. Things have gotten tight for Mel and I once again here, but we take one day at a time and keep striving to go forward. Sometimes life has a way of throwing a wrench in your plans and you have to take steps back in order to go forward again.

Thanks to all you have told their stories. I appreciate that a lot.

That is true Nig it was hard to get used to having a roof over my head as well.

To add to my story though, I went into the Army a week after I was married. Mike said that it would be a good way for us to get off the streets. Well things happened and I didn't make it through Boot Camp because of some health problems. I tried to do anything to stay in the Army because I knew what was waiting for me. I didn't get to though
so back to the streets did I go.

It was hard to go back because I felt like a failure to myself and to the ones around me. Even though I am off the streets I feel like I could be back there at anytime and that is why I don't ever forget where I have come from.

To Poco he has been my rock that last couple of years. I can not put into words how he makes me feel. I just want him to know that he is the love of my life and I am thankful that we were brought together.

rebel
10-19-2011, 02:24 PM
For those who would really like more info on the "How" to survive as a homeless person, OR are just interested in these aspects from someone who has been there, Here's something for you. I recently started talking to the owner of this site, and after he learned that I too had once been homeless said he had an excellent article from a guy who was also once homeless. Where mine is a story, this one is a "Text book" or instructional. I have to say that this guy knows his stuff. I DO have permission from the owner of the site(Don) to post a link to this instructional. I must say it is an excellent read on the subject. It seems that the original author has dropped out of sight..... I just pray he's safe.

http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm

Good read. Thanks for posting.

Rick
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Equus - We're glad, too. Both of you seem to be made for each other and compliment one another very well. And those two young men are pretty special, too. You two must be a really good influence on them and have mentored them pretty well. They seem to be pretty well behaved and good solid young men. That's the real test for a parent, in my mind. That's also where our success is. It's nice to own "stuff" but when you can look at your best friend and know that's the one love in your life and look at your kids and know that's the most important thing there is then you're pretty danged successful in my book. You have your priorities well established and no matter what else happens, you'll get through it.

equus
10-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Equus - We're glad, too. Both of you seem to be made for each other and compliment one another very well. And those two young men are pretty special, too. You two must be a really good influence on them and have mentored them pretty well. They seem to be pretty well behaved and good solid young men. That's the real test for a parent, in my mind. That's also where our success is. It's nice to own "stuff" but when you can look at your best friend and know that's the one love in your life and look at your kids and know that's the most important thing there is then you're pretty danged successful in my book. You have your priorities well established and no matter what else happens, you'll get through it.

Thank you so much. I appreciate that a lot.

Rick
10-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Just trying to help you put it in perspective.

whitewater4x4
11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
As I often tell friends and family " You don't know how good the good times are till you've had the bad times ". I've been against the ropes so to speak a couple times now . You gotta remember times will change , keep working for the better and it will happen . NEVER GIVE UP !. Great story of perseverance .

TresMon
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Like others have well said thanks (!!) so much for sharing.

I have been gaul-dern-dang close to being homeless a few times, recently in this current economy. While I live near the rural in a suburban area, the few times I had to stop and contemplate and accept what may be coming down the pike. I contemplated wether to be homeless in the city, or in the (deep) forests. It seemed like it would have pro's and cons both ways. In the city there may be mercy from your fellow man and some hand-outs. With it comes harassment, trouble, pestering and danger (and for me, in the city- gloom.)

In the wilderness one could be left alone with the only harassment & trouble being that there's no food in the traps today. you could have a self made warm/ dry shelter a roaring fire plenty of water etc. Danger is there of course, especially if you injure yourself or get sick. There would be isolation & loneliness in the woods (but I'm finally at a grumpy age now to think I'd be good with that.) Or so those are/were my thoughts on the outside looking in.

Those of you that have been homeless did you ever think about dumping the cold grey depressing & dangerous city for the at least "neutral" wilds?

Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

wildman
11-26-2011, 06:45 AM
not meaning to sound harsh and only speaking in fact but the 20 year homeless with a crack habbit has got to be the most hard core survivor! specially the one who get clean and homed again.

Rick
11-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Or just very lucky.

postman
12-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Wow, inspirational story! Glad that you got back on your feet.

Phaedrus
06-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Somewhere in everyone's life, we all got "really lucky". There was probably always a point where it all could have went another way...

sgtmcboom
08-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Thank you for your story it is very good to see someone that has been there and has come back up from it.

jfeatherjohn
09-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I had a 3+ month brush with homelesstness, but a very different situation fromPaco's.
A divorce was pending, and I was out with no place to go.
Now, I had my truck, motorcycle and some camping gear.
I was slso going through depressiom, and seeing a psychiatrist.
I was camping in a park for about two weeks when I went to see tue Doc. He oíwas delited I was out of the house, but said I was not OK enough to be out therr alone. Within two days, he had me in a group home, where I spent three week. Then I moved to a group home closer to home for two months.
Nobody I knew thought I should stay there, so I made plans to return to AZ.
My disability came through, I camped at my old spot for about a weekv, thrn took off for Az on my motorcycle. I was able to afford to have my truck and some belongings follow.
One of the things that I remember most was how well that the folks I was living with treated this old dog Psych RN. They would gather me up for rec trips downtown, take me to the library and invite me for coffee. Before I left, I.boughyt a bunch of free coffee cards from that place and passed them out to help return their kindness.
And here I am, disabled but able to lead a pretty full life.
I am very greatful for that.

kennethdnunn
11-30-2012, 06:07 AM
The social/ economic situation we find the country in makes this an especially timely thread....These stories are eye opening....everyone needs a reminder every so often believe it are not we are all living on the edge....we often take for granted just how lucky and blessed we are.....thank God I have never been homeless, I did have a scare a few years back....I can assure you homelessness can happen to any of us a lot faster than most thank.....the IRS can and will put you and your on the street in a heart beat....the stories in this thread I have read seem to be of adults both single and couples....just imagine how it would be if you had a family of young kids..... we are living in dangerous times...it is for sure our kids and grand kids will not have the life we have known......I fear we will soon be seeing a lot more homeless.....

harleyrider1
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
WOW! I'm new to the forum and just read your stories. I must say, you have an amazing story. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Thank you for sharing.

senna
07-26-2013, 11:14 PM
I never let it get that bad for long. 3 weeks, a couple of times, then I got enough work to buy a junk car, and that gave me a place to leave my stuff (relatively safely) and also make money by giving rides to the other day labor workers. If you know what to look for on craigslist, there's always a car that runs, (barely, but that's all you need) for sub $500, it may have a trannie or water pump, rods, valves or timing belt going out. It may need valve and ring job, or brakes and exhaust. It may have lots of rust/broken glass, bad dents. But if you can move it 1/2 mile at a time, twice a day, it can keep you from losing it and give you a "home" out of the weather, theft, etc. A van is best, a station wagon next, a hatchback next, but ifit's just a regular old car, you can remove the rear seat, cut out the "x" of stiffeners back there, put your stuff in the trunk and cover it with thick particle board, plywood, nailed together 1" boards.

Thus, you have a place to put your "sleeping pad" (several layers of old carpet you've found in dumpsters) and slip inside of your "sleeping bag", ( 4 layers of burlap or sheets, etc, sewn together with wadded up newspaper on both side of you) You can cook on the hood or the trunk lid, using a "can candle" made of 1 can inside of another, with multiple wicks (made of mop strings) and the inside can `1/2 full of paraffin. poke holes in bottom and top of outside can, in sides of the wax can (above the top of the wax) and use rocks between their bottoms. A bicycle is nice to have, but if you chain it to the car, it attracts attention to you. So hide it well a 1/2 mile or more away (chained, of course) and don't have more than $20 or so in it. Craigslist is a priceless asset, for backpacks, all sorts of great stuff, at great prices. But you can make a backpack, frame and all, as well as most other "camping" needs.

Many times I have used the restrooms at libraries, etc, to hand wash my clothes, give myself a sponge-bath, etc. You can use a couple of black garbage bags, one inside of the other, to heat water on a sunny day. A vehicle gives you a place to stash a couple of 5 gallon jugs of water, etc. The bicycle lets you get to the churches that serve meals. Some of them, 1x per month, have giveaways of staples/food, too. Keep yourself CLEAN, and make friends with people who work at fast food places! At the right time of day, most of them can/will give you the stuff that's been in the warmer "too long", or has not sold that day (late at night or the next day).

Often, for $30 per month or so,, you can take one class at a jr college, or join a karate school or workout club, etc, and have a place to shower. Sometimes and some places, you can get away with a quick dip in a lake or stream, or at least, haul enough water from such a source to a secluded place for a quick sponge bath. You save yourself a ton of worry, effort, etc, if you've got a lockable, "blends- in" old car. So if you are homeless, sell some blood plasma, "fly a sign" at intersections, do some writing on the Net, oddjobs around town, etc, and get/maintain a car, man.

Yeah, you MIGHT have to get a driver's license, plates/insurance on it, eventually. But if all you drive it is 1/2 mile, 3 minutes at a time, 2x a day ( far enough and around some corners, so that the same people don't see it parked all the time, and report you) you will probably go for a year without having to talk to a cop about such things. And you shouldn't need more than a few months to get a GOOD van, actually, along with those legalities. Then you can go indefinitely without paying rent, utilities, etc. Get careless, loud, snotty, drunk, or high, tho, make a mess, be seen "answering the call", and you'll deserve what happens to you. Keep a wide mouthed jar at hand. Women can use a "lady j" funnel to use the jar. Then just empty it later (discretely) into a storm drain, etc. A "kitty litter" pan and vermiculite can handle other wastes. Bag it and dispose of it properly, just as people do for a large dog. Often times, a constuction site aint far away, with its porty-pottie. Use your head, and don't be lazy.

Rick
07-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Yeah, you MIGHT have to get a driver's license, plates/insurance on it, eventually. But if all you drive it is 1/2 mile, 3 minutes at a time, 2x a day ( far enough and around some corners, so that the same people don't see it parked all the time, and report you) you will probably go for a year without having to talk to a cop about such things.

You're condoning driving without a drivers license, plates or insurance? There's nothing like putting my life and property at risk as long as it's a benefit to you. If you can't afford a drivers license or plates or insurance on a car then you have no business driving one. You can use your two good feet, a bicycle or public transportation until you can do it the right way. The last thing I want or need is some uninsured moron running into me causing me suffering and out of pocket expenses and driving up my insurance rates while the rest of us try to do it the right way.

senna
07-27-2013, 08:38 AM
I'd REALLY to meet you one day soon, you ****ing Nazi piece of ****.

Rick
07-27-2013, 08:50 AM
That was your 3rd and final warning, Bill.

chinookpilot77
07-27-2013, 09:37 AM
I had to do some quick research to see why everyone's favorite guy got banned...

/headsmack Now I know. Good riddance.

Rick
07-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Eh, words don't bother me much. Words have no power unless you give them power and in this case I don't even give them much time let alone power. I warned him twice about attacking members but threats just aren't tolerated.

pete lynch
07-27-2013, 10:54 AM
That fella sure put a lot of bait on his hook.
At the rate he was posting this morning I figured he'd reach 100 posts before the Big Stick came out. ;)

welderguy
07-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Dang see what happens when i sleep in!!

HMMM i thought I did a multi quote .. oh well!

welderguy
07-27-2013, 11:26 AM
That fella sure put a lot of bait on his hook.
At the rate he was posting this morning I figured he'd reach 100 posts before the Big Stick came out. ;)

Some times its fun to feed a troll, this one however was not entertaining.

crashdive123
07-27-2013, 07:10 PM
I go away for a couple of days and you guys open the door and let the trash in. Glad to see somebody took it out before I got back.

Rick
07-27-2013, 07:17 PM
You know me. I'm just a big pussy cat. I can't say no so I let anyone and everyone in the door and even let them hang around well after the lights should have been turned out on 'em. I sure wish the forum didn't post all those *****. I'd really like to know what I'm supposed to be.

welderguy
07-27-2013, 07:47 PM
You know me. I'm just a big pussy cat. I can't say no so I let anyone and everyone in the door and even let them hang around well after the lights should have been turned out on 'em. I sure wish the forum didn't post all those *****. I'd really like to know what I'm supposed to be.

I have a list of possibles, want I should send it to ya. :smartass:

Rick
07-27-2013, 09:28 PM
As near as I can tell I held 4 stars coming and going. That's pretty good isn't it? I mean, I could have gotten 5 but this way I have something to shoot for.

Nighthawk01
09-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Kinda puts things into perspective for me. inspirational :clap:

18x
01-06-2014, 12:22 AM
Well, you certainly didn't waste my time. I enjoyed reading it. It's easy to think thoughts such as, "get a job" or "sober up" or some other justifiable reason for not liking someone different than ourselves. Not only do you offer insight into how to survive but you give homelessness a face, a name, a persona that I doubt many, if any, of us had before. For that, I thank you.

I definately agree
One thing that ive come to learn is that youd be very surprised what soldiers and businesses throw away. You could actually thrive off of some of the things they throw away. I have a few 100$ knives from what people have thrown away. As well as a supply of unopen unspoiled food and mre's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Enigma
03-26-2015, 05:01 AM
Down this way, it's rare to be completely 'homeless'. The Socialist government pretty much looks after the absolute lower classes of society way more than middle class people in financial difficulties. If you own your own home, have a car etc, and lose your job, you are completely screwed getting any help, unless you sell stuff first, or until you run out of money. It sucks big time.

Governments should take a note out of Switzerlands book. 15% Income tax no matter what you earn (ours is almost 50% tax if you earn over about $75,000 a year, gotta love socialism……..NOT) and a mandatory PERSONAL unemployment tax, FOR YOURSELF, so if you lose your job, no matter what you earn, you get paid for 12 months, until you find another job.

Forget trying to claim unemployment benefits down this way, unless you're a drug f#$ked skank, or an unmarried mother with 6 kids. Socialism sucks big time.

7whitewolf7
04-30-2015, 10:29 PM
I have a story to tell as well, though it's not like most of yours and I can't remember it. My mother was homeless for awhile after my dad threw her out because he wanted custody of me, though not my half-brother. I actually remember going around and all day we would just be on the metro because we had nothing elese to do, I was always thirsty and bored and for awhile that lasted. My mother had to find something to do since she had 2 kids both very young and nowhere to go since other family members were estranged and frankly full of their own phycological problems. I don't remember this part but she found a homeless womans shelter after a while and was able to get into some programs since she was a single mom. To this day I think those experiences have left a mark on her....
I however was left only with memories of the people who traveled on the bus (I saw some things... some people are in bad conditions when they ride those buses) and a wise opinion over the state of the world. She went through a hard time, her family turning their back on her and even before that there were hard times. shes one of the strongest people I know.
Just wanted to share a little bit of a kid's experience of being homeless! It was enlightening.

Rick
05-01-2015, 07:23 AM
He threw her out but not you and yet you experienced all this. You are trying way too hard. Why not try reading some posts and learning something?

hayshaker
05-01-2015, 08:48 AM
i too (hayshaker) was homeless but i always thought of my self as a camper.
i guess that helped whih the psycholgy of things. many things i,ll leave out as they are too painful
to say here there were good times bad times had jobs so i ate many times i dumpster dived at mc donalds.
even remember one time scrapping the ciggertte ashes off a pizza hut mini pan pizza so i could eat it.
been hungry once so bad all i could poop was what looked like snot cause my belly was that empty.
can,t remember how many other homeless i,ve met were NAM vets 1st gulf war vets like that.i,ve slept
in more places than one could imagine.i think everyone should do a year on the skids teach people true humanity
and see also the lack of it as well. anyone can become homless at any time everyone has their own story.
many times i often wonder if it happend again could i do it, i pray i never have to find out. it would have tobe Hawaii
cause the weather is good although at present Hawaii is a homeless encampment and too much compition for resources
and stuff. would have to go outer island. life on the road is real hard when your in your fifties, can,t hump like you once could
when your back has seen better days.soon there will be no soup lines,missions,and the like it trully will be a life of survival
if one is on the road.

7whitewolf7
05-01-2015, 09:59 AM
(rick) No, he wanted to keep me but my mother took both of us (my brother too). It's been years since and I have restablished contact.
I've seen you get a fair amount of liars so I understand, I just rarely get on forums and much less share so I guess I could be trying to hard. I'm just excited.

Rick
05-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Your story rings hollow. If he had thrown your mother, your brother and you out you would have said, "He threw us out." Instead you said he threw your mother out. Your comments were entirely about how it affected her but not you. In fact, you called it enlightening. Something that traumatic is anything but "enlightening". And you are the one that mentioned liars. I didn't.

7whitewolf7
05-01-2015, 03:57 PM
I do not remember any of it, I said all I remember are a lot of rides on the metro and seeing people on them. I don't want to cause trouble, and I call it enlightening because those were some of my first memories of being exposed to lifes harsher qualities. I could give you my life's story so you could understand how it all fits together but I don't think thats wise or that you are interested. Reading my posts I realise that perhaps throwing out all of those is suspicious, but I was just happy to find something relevent to me.
But here's an overview of what happened just in case - my dad threw my mother out (I say it this way because she is the one who told me it happened, even though my father gives a different side of things) and for a while she was homeless until she finally went to a homeless shelter after giving up on getting help from other family members, and got into a program for single mothers. I know nothing around this part but my mother still has court documents over custody of me. I visited him every other weekend but after an issue with an uncle I dropped out of contact around 5 and a half years ago, and it is only within that half year that I was able to establish contact again. That's it.

And I believe people deal with traumatic experiences differently but I can't remember enough t oreally call it traumatic, just surprising.
yes, I mentioned liars because I had just gotten done reading 'why they call me blade', and it was on my mind.

enough about me.... gutter gems!

If it is necessary I'll gladly not mention anything personal since neither of us can really deny or approve it. I haven't posted anytihng since around the time I signed up and looking at how many I replied to since getting on it earily reminds me of spam. I apologize for that.
I have not really been on many forums, so I hope you will be patient with me.

crashdive123
05-01-2015, 09:24 PM
We're a patient group. I know you said you were young. About how old were you when all of this happened?

7whitewolf7
05-02-2015, 05:24 PM
We're a patient group. I know you said you were young. About how old were you when all of this happened?

hmm, I would say for the first part (mother getting kicked out and taking me and my brother) I was about 4. I really don't know though. It's not something my mom likes to talk about.

Rollicks
05-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Poco, I appreciate your post. When I was a kid I hung out with hobos. They had cool stories and they taught me their ways; like how to roll a cigarette with one hand, or how and when to obtain free food without stealing. Hobos in our area lived mainly in caves by the railroad or in the woods by parks. The ones that I met, did a service to the community, they cleaned stuff and picked up garbage throughout the day. They did it to remain anonymous and invisible so as to not be rousted from their spots. But they also did it because of pride. They silently made the world a better place while at the same time tried to give back to the community.

When I was in my twenties, I became homeless temporarily. I slept at the train station, until a cop moved me along. I got food from the gas station right before they were about to throw it away.

I went around looking for jobs every day to no avail. I spent a lot of time at the public library using their computers, printing resumes, reading the little nickel, using their bathroom to groom and what not. I found a place called worksource, a place that posts jobs to the needy before these jobs become open to the public. No luck there though. I did odd jobs for people around town until finally, I eventually landed a job as a night janitor at a restaurant.

Right now, I guess I'm doing alright. I never forget why I'm here or how I got here though. Just like how those hobos gave back to their community, I give back to them. Not with money, but with teaching and helping. A long time ago I got a gal a bank account and a pay as you go phone, so that it would be a bit easier to get a job and be independent from the services at the mission.

Some others, I taught how to cook and preserve, especially important when most of the food you get at food banks rots the day after you get it. Quite recently, there was a man trying to get to a mission before they closed. He had a lot of crap to carry and out of the blue he just asked me if I'd help. I said yes. Then, while we're walking, his crappy paper bags fall apart and his stuff goes everywhere. I just stacked everything on the box I was carrying and ran with him. We almost missed the train he needed to catch. Surprisingly, we both ran pretty fast even though we were smoking tailor-mades.

7whitewolf7
05-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Rollicks, that is a moving story. Where I live people have the mindset that the homeless are drunks who will spend any money you give them on whiskey. I honestly believe most people buy into it because it makes it easier not to do anything for them, or feel bad for ignoring them. But I live in a major city, so perhaps in most other places it is not so? I wish more people treated them like they do where you lived. I found some information that in south africa they have planted food in some road meridians, but I can't find trustworthy source so I don't know how accurate it is, but something to think about regardless.

This seems to be the source other sites are pulling from ---> http://9gag.com/gag/aE1ZnOe/somebody-plants-vegetables-for-the-poor-on-the-roads-center-islands-in-south-africa-faith-in-humanity-restored

What do you guys think?

Rick
05-06-2015, 06:59 AM
Do you know how many chemicals are in vehicle exhaust? I don't think I'd eat anything planted in the median of a street. After years of being exposed to vehicle exhaust I wonder how many carcinogens are in that soil?

hayshaker
05-06-2015, 09:02 AM
spot on rick i,ve heard people plenty times recomending the harvesting of cattails and such from roadsides.
gosh if i understand right cattails are the purifiers of the pond so to speak meaning they take in all the toxins
theirby cleaning the water. i,ll pass on any cattails or anyother plant that grows on a roadside.

hunter63
05-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Rollicks, that is a moving story. Where I live people have the mindset that the homeless are drunks who will spend any money you give them on whiskey. I honestly believe most people buy into it because it makes it easier not to do anything for them, or feel bad for ignoring them. But I live in a major city, so perhaps in most other places it is not so? I wish more people treated them like they do where you lived. I found some information that in south africa they have planted food in some road meridians, but I can't find trustworthy source so I don't know how accurate it is, but something to think about regardless.

This seems to be the source other sites are pulling from ---> http://9gag.com/gag/aE1ZnOe/somebody-plants-vegetables-for-the-poor-on-the-roads-center-islands-in-south-africa-faith-in-humanity-restored

What do you guys think?

This strike me as a "Sunshine fluff piece".....We have stories like this once in a while.
Kinda a "we can't really do anything for a problem, but we can pass out T shirts, collect money and have the media show everyone how we "helped".

Spot on for exhaust, dropped oil, gas, other fluids accumulating in ditches and road sides.

Not real practical.

7whitewolf7
05-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Thats probably why I can't find it on any serious sites. And thinking about exhaust now, it does seem like a terrible idea.
(if only, if only)
(the woodpecker cried)
(the wood was as soft as the skies)
(while the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely)
(he cries to the mooooon.... if only, if only)

Rollicks
05-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Plus, I don't see how that would be useful to homeless people if they're not gonna teach them how to do anything to maintain it. And yeah, that whole exhaust thing is why I don't use blackberries from the side of the road.

hunter63
05-07-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm thinking that many places would discourage this practice as crops, as it would take a while to grow.... meaning the population would still be there...hanging around.
Most places/people would rather have them....move on down the road.

There is a incident in Milwaukee that is pending right now involving the city council shutting down 3rd shift at a Dunkin' Donuts.......because of panhandlers.
The building is located in the ground floor of a fancy apartment building....residents don't want to see the panhandlers, talked the city into pulling the permit of this business for overnight business.
http://www.wisn.com/news/city-orders-wisconsin-avenue-dunkin-donuts-to-close-overnight/32826962

Being homeless is not as romantic in reality, as it may seem to some....and generally are shunned by a lot of people.

7whitewolf7
06-11-2015, 07:13 PM
There's a city in Arizona called Tuscon and one of the locals told me it is one of the most populated cities in the state. We went there to go to a co-op food market
and there were quite a few people milling aimlessly about. But they just blended right into the city as if it was only natural, it was a very weird to see.

jayd
08-04-2017, 08:02 PM
3/4 of the food I got at food banks was canned. Once a month, you got your pick of 25 items, sometimes more, altho limited in each category (meat/fish was one, fruits was another,, etc. There was lots of long term stuff, but quite a bit of pastry and produce. Homeless rarely have a way to cook (dont want to haul around pots and pans, or risk leaving them anyplace) beyond using the microwave at the college and convenience stores and no refrigeration. I had a van, so I could use an alcohol stove, but I never needed to. I did use an icebox for a couple of summers.. I rarely took produce, cause it "cost" too much for no more food value than it offers. I'd rather have the canned stuff, or at least, big bags of rice, beans, pasta. Mostly, you ride your bicycle to the church for lunch, and to the Salvation Army mission for supper, and have powdered milk, cereal and dried fruit for breakfast (or do without)

randyt
08-04-2017, 08:53 PM
cooking is my weak link. How did you prepare the beans and rice? soak them over night and then microwave them? I'm curious, I've cooked them by leaving them on the corner of a wood cookstove and let them slow cook all day or by using a beanhole. Or in a modern environment, a electric crockpot.

crashdive123
08-04-2017, 08:59 PM
So, although (that's really how you spell it) you were not destitute (socking away the money for college) you decided that it would be OK to take food from the food bank that others truly needed? That says a lot. Thanks for letting us know.

Rick
08-05-2017, 08:11 AM
I have to think that loading up on carbohydrates and protein with no vegetable/roughage has to be pretty bad on the body. Not having a balanced diet for a couple of years had to take a toll on you. What sort of physical ailments did you incur? Rickets? Scurvy? Those would be common ailments with that sort of diet.

kyratshooter
08-05-2017, 10:07 AM
So, although (that's really how you spell it) you were not destitute (socking away the money for college) you decided that it would be OK to take food from the food bank that others truly needed? That says a lot. Thanks for letting us know.

Come on Crash, don't you think he was ENTITLED to that free food. After all, he was saving up the taxpayers' cash to buy a woman!

Rick
08-05-2017, 04:19 PM
I have to go back and reread. Did he say buy or rent?

Alan R McDaniel Jr
10-13-2018, 09:40 PM
I should spend more time reading stickies.

I've never been homeless, but not for lack of trying...

When I grew up, I had to make some hard decisions with folks I love, and as a result, they became homeless for a while. Tough love and not enabling is not as easy as it is to say. Fortunately, those people pulled themselves up by their own boot straps and are now leading clean, sober, productive lives.

That "World" is as foreign to most of us as is life on Mars, and it is in our own back yards, literally. I was coming home today and saw a young man that I knew (former student) riding his bicycle down the middle of the highway (turning lane). He had grocery bags hanging from the handle bars and he cut across behind me as I passed. I thought it odd because there were no houses where he had stopped. So, I turned around and drove back by. He was gone. Now I'm really curious. Then I realize the place is at the edge of a small bridge. I didn't stop.

I see him in town periodically and say hello. I never really thought about where he was living. In school he was relatively bright and made reasonable good grades and actually went to contest in Math. And yet circumstances exist, I suppose, which have made his existence what it is.

I don't know what the answer to this problem is. I suppose each person in that situation has to find his/her own answer, AND, there has to be people who can give them a hand up when they start solving their own problems. From all that I've read, and form reading this thread, my observation is that those who make the decision to leave that World, generally do so. Those who do not make the decision or who choose to stay, do that as well.

In the schools we had (have) children who are, for all purposes, homeless. They'd come to school without their homework. After listening to some of my teachers talk about how lazy they were and why they weren't getting the work done, I invited them to ride the child's bus one afternoon and watch where the kids got off.... Didn't take too long for the attitudes to begin to change about missing homework. One kid and his family lived in what could only be described as a pile of boards. She wasn't doing her homework. That girl could not answer a "fill in the blank", "listing", or "multiple choice" question to save her life. But ask her to write everything she knows about something discussed in class and you'll get five pages. And it will be right. But, if you live in a pile of boards, you probably don't have a desk or a kitchen table to do you busywork homework at...

You can spot the real homeless kids in the lunch room. They are eating their lunch and any that anyone will give them and putting anything wrapped or fruit in their pockets. They do it very clandestinely. They don't want anyone to know.

As I read through the thread, I noticed that the OP and his significant other have not posted in a while. I hope they are continuing to be successful and to live this wonderful life we've been given to the fullest extent possible.

Certainly a humbling read..

Alan

Mannlicher
11-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Personally I have never been sympathetic to the homeless. Back in 2012, I was attacked by two homeless men intent on killing me. The ensuing confrontation, settled by my ax and a 9mm CZ pistol led to an immediate heart attack.

Rick
11-29-2018, 10:41 AM
What a horrible experience that must have been. I can only suggest that we not judge all be the actions of the few. No more than we should blame all men because they were male or whatever their race, religion, etc. I am sorry you had to experience that. What a traumatic experience it must have been. I assume you experienced the heart attack and I'm thankful you survived through God's Grace.

highlo
04-23-2019, 09:34 AM
If the short term help got the college guy out of his bind, good for him. It's the ones who STAY on food stamps and at the food bank that are the problem. BTW, I'm 66 she's 31, gorgeous, petite, and now has her 9 yo daughter here, who is also doing just fine.

BENESSE
04-23-2019, 10:03 AM
If the short term help got the college guy out of his bind, good for him. It's the ones who STAY on food stamps and at the food bank that are the problem. BTW, I'm 66 she's 31, gorgeous, petite, and now has her 9 yo daughter here, who is also doing just fine.

Huh? You lost me there, buddy...

Rick
04-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Don't worry. Highlo is just Tigrate by another name. He was banned a few months back. He was a troll then and he's a troll now. He's gone...again.

BENESSE
04-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Don't worry. Highlo is just Tigrate by another name. He was banned a few months back. He was a troll then and he's a troll now. He's gone...again.

I suspected he wasn't long for this world, just wondered how long it would take.

KAILIYAT
06-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Thanks Poco.

There is no manual for survival as a homeless person so I guess you are really doing us all a service because no one knows what life will bring tomorrow.

Keep writing as much as you wantn Audacity (https://audacity.onl/) Find My iPhone (https://findmyiphone.onl/) Origin (https://origin.onl/). REAL life stories are very interesting to me and I appreciate you for sharing yours.

Now I've entitled this "Gems from the Gutter part one" for a reason. There is some I'm sure I have forgotten that you will have questions about. I also want to give others the opportunity to contribute, therefore each can entitle their contributions part 2 part 3 and so on. This is not about me,although I have told you my story. This is about a type of Survival that I fervently hope none of you has to experience. I look back on my time as being homeless as being a sort of Spiritual Sojourn, a time I got to get to know my Creator as I understand my Creator. It helped me grow in ways that I never thought possible. I got closer to Mother Earth, I lived, I learned. Although It was a very sad and depressing time, it was also enjoyable to a degree. You see any survival situation,Urban or Wilderness is what you make it. The better your attitude the better your chances are. I hope you both Enjoy and learn from this. I'm sorry it is so long and takes so much of your valuable time. But this is one of the lessons you learn being homeless, Time is not important,you have no schedule except that dictated by survival and learning. Thank you for reading.

Rick
06-02-2019, 12:06 AM
I would imagine being homeless in Algeria offers a whole new perspective on sand. Saida is not the largest city so that didn't give you many options did it? Did you just like hang out in the historic center?

MAILIYATFRANCHISA
09-21-2019, 05:46 AM
wow poco, thanks for taking the time for writing this. man this is such a strong story! like rick said, you really did give the homelessness a face, and you really did change the way i think about this and i thank you for that. again thanks for taking your time to write your story and thank you for even sharing your story with us!

You had better be prepared for the worst! Fortunately I was better prepared due to my gentle let down into homelessness. I had purchased some items and acquired others that were given away or thrown away. Due to my experience in the military and Boy Scouts and what I had seen thus far "on the streets", I chose a little different route than your typical homeless person. I spent my first TRULY homeless night as a "Street Person" in a discarded pup tent I was fortunate to "find" at the SA drop box.( Hey I felt they owed me anyway, they didn't follow their own rules.) First night was spent in a SMALL strip of woods next to the train tracks.

Rick
09-21-2019, 07:57 AM
So, tell me, do they have the Salvation Army in Algeria? You took it out of the drop box and they "owed" you? Smells like a troll to me. Do you know Slide95 by any chance?

aankhka
10-21-2022, 03:45 PM
thanks for taking the time for writing this. man this is such a strong story! like rick said, you really did give the homelessness a face, and you really did change the way i think about this and i thank you for that. again thanks for taking your time to write your story and thank you for even sharing your story with us!

Rick
10-21-2022, 04:26 PM
Do they have this level of homelessness in the Netherlands?

Alan R McDaniel Jr
10-21-2022, 08:07 PM
I was homeless for most of the day. I was living in my truck. I did get out and loiter at a few places like the Post Office, grocery store, and the drug store.... I bought some drugs at the drug store... I came home about 2:30 though and wasn't homeless any more. I did eat some Little Caesars pizza though against my better judgment...

Alan