PDA

View Full Version : Regarding my "Possible Spam".

Sarge47
10-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Vol West posted a past post of mine formerly titled "Rewarding The Loyal Wolves" to show what he obviously thought was a "double standard" on my editing of any "spam-sites." Since the possibility did exist, and to be fair, I have removed the offending material from this site. My bad. The post contained a plethora of information that I felt would be greatly valued by the "Steadfast" members of the Wolf Pack who didn't allow themselves to be run off by the heavy barrage of Spam-bots that came from China. If Vol West had still been around at that time he would have known what it was for: A reward for LOYALTY! Unfortunately he had already left the group taking his posts with him and couldn't have possibly known. In my defense I will stipulate that I either had just received the post as moderator and not yet been informed what constituted spam, or hadn't been appointed as of yet, I really don't remember the details that well. My thinking was that it was easier to post all the URLs rather than post the contents themselves, many of which contained material way to large to be fitted into a single post, much like my post on the Acorns and the recent post: "The Art of War," just to name a couple that jump to mind. If their are any others of mine or anyone else's that you feel meet this criteria please call them to my attention and I will delete them as well, Thank you.

BillHay
10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Vol West posted a past post of mine formerly titled "Rewarding The Loyal Wolves" to show what he obviously thought was a "double standard" on my editing of any "spam-sites." Since the possibility did exist, and to be fair, I have removed the offending material from this site. My bad. The post contained a plethora of information that I felt would be greatly valued by the "Steadfast" members of the Wolf Pack who didn't allow themselves to be run off by the heavy barrage of Spam-bots that came from China. If Vol West had still been around at that time he would have known what it was for: A reward for LOYALTY! Unfortunately he had already left the group taking his posts with him and couldn't have possibly known. In my defense I will stipulate that I either had just received the post as moderator and not yet been informed what constituted spam, or hadn't been appointed as of yet, I really don't remember the details that well. My thinking was that it was easier to post all the URLs rather than post the contents themselves, many of which contained material way to large to be fitted into a single post, much like my post on the Acorns and the recent post: "The Art of War," just to name a couple that jump to mind. If their are any others of mine or anyone else's that you feel meet this criteria please call them to my attention and I will delete them as well, Thank you.

THATS Spamming

Dont bother Sarge, your doing a fine job, REMEMBER YOUR THE MOD, Keep up the good work

BillHay
10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
1. What is the impact that FIRST has had on the learning experience of the students, school curriculum, engineers, and/or community involved with your team?
2. How has your team explained/demonstrated why/how it should be a role model for other FIRST teams to emulate?
3. How well has your team communicated its excitement and impact within the entire school, community, and beyond (state/nation) through participation in FIRST?
4. Has your team developed and maintained an innovative way to spread the FIRST message?
5. How strong of a year-round team partnership (includes students, advisors, mentors, sponsors, community, school, etc) effort does your team demonstrate?
6. How does your team exemplify the true meaning of FIRST?

Make sure that you explain each of these areas in detail. It may be a nice idea to include a uniting "theme" of some sort derived from the connections made through all these topics and how strongly they represent your team, but that is for your team to figure out during the process of writing your entry. Hope this helps! Massive luck!

Eugenia Gabrielov02-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks! That's what I thought I had read. :) Yay for Chairman's.

------

RoboMom02-08-2005, 05:45 AM
And remember this year, there is a 10,000 character limit in the essay (including spaces!)

dhitchco02-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Mostly for Eugenia,

I created a Excel template that has all the questions for the chairman's award as well as a built-in counter to count the number of characters. It is located HERE (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=&action=single&paperid=422) for you to use with your team to draft your responses.

Remember that the offical entry must be done via www.firstawards.org web site.

top dog02-08-2005, 03:00 PM
I am still confused! We answered those same questions in the Executive Summary. Is the essay just those answers fused together? It just seems repetitive

Kyle02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
I am still confused! We answered those same questions in the Executive Summary. Is the essay just those answers fused together? It just seems repetitive
since the exec summary is limited to 500 characters you are limited on what you can say. the essay is a way for you to go into more detail and also add on to what you said in the summary. The exec summary is used by the judges to get a good idea of what they are going to be seeing in the essay. The essay is those answers fused together but with more or less detail in some areas that your team would like to have.

jessjank.02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Kyle is definitely correct in his explanation. The executive summary is meant to do exactly as its name suggests, serve as a summary of your Chairman's Award and thus a summary of your team's efforts and endeavors. Your executive summary will provide the judges with a quickly accessible format of the information in your CA entry, though in more general terms. You need to make sure that your Chairman's Award entry further builds upon your executive summary, taking the information you have there and expanding, broadening, and supplementing it with more details and new information not incorporated into the executive summary. Good luck!

KathieK02-08-2005, 04:14 PM
since the exec summary is limited to 500 characters you are limited on what you can say.

The Executive Summary has seven areas for you to complete, with a limit of 500 characters for each of your answers, not total.
• Briefly describe the impact of the FIRST program on team participants (500 characters allowed)
• Examples of role model characteristics for other teams to emulate (500 characters allowed)
• Describe the impact of the FIRST program on your team and community (500 characters allowed)
• Team’s innovative methods to spread the FIRST message (500 characters allowed)
• Describe the strength of your partnership (500 characters allowed)
• Team’s communication methods and results (500 characters allowed)
• Other matters of interest to the FIRST judges, if any (500 characters allowed)

Eugenia Gabrielov02-08-2005, 04:18 PM
500 words is not a lot. I'd say maybe 2 snack-sized paragraphs? Nothing too extreme.

I like to think of the essay as a way to highlight the immensely unique methods your team uses and its specific impacts, quotes, etc. However, the summary is more general information that the judges could probably get by asking any one preson on your team to summarize while in the pits or something. Simple, concise answers are the focus of this process.

Carol02-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Note it is 500 CHARACTERS for each summary and 10,000 CHARACTERS for the essay. Which includes spaces. As a guide, this whole post is 225 characters long. (I find the character count by using the properties field in
jessjank.02-09-2005, 10:16 AM
In regards to all the concern with the word limit per each section, a valuable thing to note would be that the firstawards submission site actually provides you with the ability to take a character count as you beginning adding your test to the online submission (see link after each entry box titled check character count). This will definitely aid in the process of making sure your keeping in line with the 500 character limit.

dhitchco02-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I keep trying to make everyone's life EASY. DON'T count by hand...

Just get this template HERE (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=&action=single&paperid=422) and start typing....

It will calculate the character count as you type. Then e-mail it to other teammates to get CONSENSUS.

Lastly, just "cut & paste" into the online C.A. submission spaces on www.firstawards.org

Daniel_H02-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Does the essay include pictures with text? If yes, how many?

Thanks in advance.

Rich Kressly02-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Does the essay include pictures with text? If yes, how many?

Thanks in advance.

You upload your pictures separately from the essay. Just follow the instructions at www.firstawards.org

Daniel_H02-11-2005, 07:33 PM
I've seen previous essays from other teams and there were pictures on it,have it changed this year?
by the way i can't upload anything at the site even being logged in, i am able to upload only in the deadline?
thanks again

KathieK02-11-2005, 07:53 PM
last year we submitted Chairman's Award applications as Word documents. They had photos embedded within the document. They could be made to look very fancy by using backgrounds, different fonts, etc.

This year the process is different. You go online to enter your text submission into a text box. You are allowed to upload 4 photos or charts or graphic files totaling no more than 1MB of space.

All images must be of jpeg file type. Mac users should add a '.jpg' extension to their files, if they will not upload.

Images may be resized to either 800 pixels wide or 800 pixels tall, keeping its aspect-ratio.

Barry Bonzack02-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Fitting in that 10,000 character limit is TOUGH. I'm hacking down my 6000 word outline/1st rough draft. Cutting down the Chairman's application feels like drilling holes in an overweight robot.

tribotec_ca8802-12-2005, 07:19 AM
I had a question...
I was simply wondering if we could "combine" pictures to form one image? ...so instead of uploading 4 images like this:
http://img201.exs.cx/img201/9246/imagem1chairmans1bh.jpg

we would end up with this:

http://img216.exs.cx/img216/2844/imagem2chairmans5ti.jpg

so instead of uploading 4 photos, you'd actually end up with 16 (while still complying with the 1Mb limit)...I thought it'd be interesting, and I haven't read anything against this idea yet...

macurtis02-12-2005, 08:41 AM
I had a question...
I was simply wondering if we could "combine" pictures to form one image? ...so instead of uploading 4 images like this:
http://img201.exs.cx/img201/9246/imagem1chairmans1bh.jpg

we would end up with this:

http://img216.exs.cx/img216/2844/imagem2chairmans5ti.jpg

so instead of uploading 4 photos, you'd actually end up with 16 (while still complying with the 1Mb limit)...I thought it'd be interesting, and I haven't read anything against this idea yet...

yes you can. In Word, Hold down Ctrl, select the pictures you want to group, right click, move over to the group menu, and select group. I learned that handy little trick last year in my computer class, being the slacker class that it was. Otherwise, you could try and do it in some sort of photo editing program.

RoboMom02-12-2005, 02:33 PM
yes you can. In Word, Hold down Ctrl, select the pictures you want to group, right click, move over to the group menu, and select group. I learned that handy little trick last year in my computer class, being the slacker class that it was. Otherwise, you could try and do it in some sort of photo editing program.

>>On this page, you can upload up to four images totaling no more than 1MB of space.

All images must be of jpeg file type. Mac users should add a '.jpg' extension to their files, if they will not upload.

Images may be resized to either 800 pixels wide or 800 pixels tall, keeping its aspect-ratio.

To upload an image, browse to the file on your system, choose it, and then click the 'Upload' button.

If you would like to remove an image, click the 'delete' link under it.

As with all other data, once you finalize your submission, you will not be able to change your images.<<

RoboMom02-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Fitting in that 10,000 character limit is TOUGH. I'm hacking down my 6000 word outline/1st rough draft. Cutting down the Chairman's application feels like drilling holes in an overweight robot.
And Barry, remember this is 10,000 characters including spaces! Be creative with your abbreviations. Maybe you could use a format that doesn't use complete sentences, but fragments that still make sense.
Good luck.

BillHay
10-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Thats how A guy spams the board sarge!

Sarge47
10-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Thats how A guy spams the board sarge!

I understand, Bill. Are you saying Vol West is spamming? I've passed on the information to Chris for his advice and, as for right now, will wait for it. However if more members express concern before I get that I'll take some action. Rick S.

BillHay
10-25-2007, 10:47 PM
I understand, Bill. Are you saying Vol West is spamming? I've passed on the information to Chris for his advice and, as for right now, will wait for it. However if more members express concern before I get that I'll take some action. Rick S.

Im suggesting you guys wise up, this place is REALLY ripe for a good troll raid, and maybe a big rush that 404's the board. Just get out there, see whats going on, net survival, maybe a new topic?

owl_girl
10-26-2007, 01:14 AM
I don’t consider what you or volwest posted spamming, and I don’t remember Chris having a problem with it. Was it really necessary to delete them?

nell67
10-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Posting a link that takes you to a website that offers helpful pertinent information is not spamming the board,posting a link thats purpose is to get you to buy items is starting to cross the line,we have paid sponsor ads on the site for that purpose.

The shoe ,hand bag and breast cream posts were spam as was the gibberish posts that lil bunny fufu began posting earlier in the year.

Sarge47
10-26-2007, 06:57 AM
I am with Owl-Girl on that one.
That was my point.
Links are a good thing...There was no pointing out a "double-standard" thing.
I, differentiate from "spams" and "links".
Let's get the final word on that from Chris.

Yeah, I'm in agreement here. I sent a PM to Chris and am awaiting a reply. It was my understanding that any post that contained a URL that led to another site that competed with the paying sponsors of this one was a no-no. If he says I'm off-base I'll go along with it, however, to be safe I've went ahead and deleted my posting of the URL's. I don't view myself as different from anyone else on this matter. There was seveal times that Chris replaced the contents of a URL with "********". So we'll see.

Crash
10-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Posting a link that takes you to a website that offers helpful pertinent information is not spamming the board,posting a link thats purpose is to get you to buy items is starting to cross the line,we have paid sponsor ads on the site for that purpose.

I have to agree here. I've been on numerous forums and most define spamming as "posting off-site links which leave no doubts that the intention is to advertise a product which requires purchase."

Someone like me, who happens to be quite novice to all of this, NEED informative links. I can google all day, but I rely on you vets to point me past the sites that will get me killed and on to the legit stuff.

scabbyota
10-26-2007, 10:08 AM

The shoe ,hand bag and breast cream posts were spam as was the gibberish posts that lil bunny fufu began posting earlier in the year.

What nell said....

wareagle69
10-26-2007, 10:17 AM
sarge i will back you on this one. although i do not always agree with what you say, i do beleive that posting to links that will give helpful information is not spam. honestly i do not even pay attention to the ads here. the only products that i will ever buy is if someone i respect endorses them. if you tell me about a gerber knife(and i feel you know about knives) i will go to their site even if buck knives are a sponser here.

when i was cage fighting and bullriding i had sponsers to pay the bills.
skoal sponsered me but i always had a can of copenhagen in my britches.
understand my point?

trax
10-26-2007, 11:12 AM
I have no doubt that you will do the most even-handed and honorable thing available to you to do. I'm sure that's a characteristic that Chris saw when he offered you the moderator's position.

I agree with Nell about the spamming.

Bill, did we need that many examples?

Volwest's suggestion seems to work, let's get the final word from Chris.

Anyone ever watched wolf pups at play? They nip at each other's heels and ears, lots of yelping and whining, they play pretty rough.

Sarge47
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
I have no doubt that you will do the most even-handed and honorable thing available to you to do. I'm sure that's a characteristic that Chris saw when he offered you the moderator's position.

I agree with Nell about the spamming.

Bill, did we need that many examples?

Volwest's suggestion seems to work, let's get the final word from Chris.

Anyone ever watched wolf pups at play? They nip at each other's heels and ears, lots of yelping and whining, they play pretty rough.

I disagree with VW on a lot of things, but I don't think he's out to destroy this site. Just clutter it up with his ideas. Most of you here like what he has to say while the few of us that don't are in the minority. Why would VW trash a site where he has that many fans? Logic tells me he wouldn't. Plus, while VW may be a lot of things in my opinion, and only in my opinion, he's still a "Wolf". The Irish in me says nobody picks on my brother but me, and other brothers of course. We keep it in the family. I also believe that the poster going by the name of Bill Hay has some problems he's trying to resolve. Perhaps the Pack can help him with that rather than rip him to shreds. Any thoughts in that area?

Chris
10-29-2007, 12:14 AM
There are a few sites who have ripped off this site directly that I do not allow links to out of principle.

But the rule is that you're not allowed to link to YOUR site or YOUR business. But if you don't own it, you can link there.

The rule isn't to stop other sites from getting links, but to stop site/business owners from using the forum solely as a promotional tool.

The exception to this rule is your signature, by all means, link to your own site/business in your signature. Just keep the link tastefully done, no huge text etc.

trax
10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Makes sense to me...

Ah volwest, the master of brevity!