PDA

View Full Version : is this possible big game slingshot?

brunoorz
08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
i was just amazed with what i saw on youtube whats your opinion on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIcCRJGYug&NR=1

lucznik
08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Possible? Maybe.

Probable? Not so much.

I would like to see the kinds of groups he is managing to get from that little unit of his. It wasn't really clear on the video but, I doubt they are meeting the standard "within a 9" paper plate" level of accuracy that is normally associated with acceptable hunting-archery accuracy. Also, with the sliding "arrow shelf," I am doubtful of the consistency he might get.

Of course, even if you can get pretty accurate, there is the issue of the velocity and energy that would be necessary to humanely and consistently dispatch a big game animal. I would want to chronograph a few of those arrows. Something tells me they will fall short of the mark.

Then there is the issue of the broadheads. That little ring did not look wide enough to allow for you to slip the broadhead tipped arrow through. You could put it through the other direction, but that would probably mean damaging your fletchings.

Of course, the major issue is going to be that I doubt that you could ever test this concept without running afoul of the law. I can't think of any jurisdiction that would allow it. Not an issue in true survival situation, but you won't be trying it anytime soon... (hopefully),

brunoorz
08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Good response i like it i will see what i can do for continuity.

Ken
08-17-2009, 10:22 PM
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080295816

Ken
08-17-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4772029/description.html

brunoorz
08-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Great research you've done there Ken i guess he isnt the first to come up with it. I intend to try it out(in a safe place with a foam target). There have been encouraging comments on youtube im interested to see how it will work for me.

lucznik
08-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Collapsible arrows, Ken?

There's an answer looking for a decent question...

Ken
08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Collapsible arrows, Ken?

There's an answer looking for a decent question...

Really not a bad idea, is it?

brunoorz
08-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Ken which idea?

Ken
08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
The collapsible arrows. Much easier to carry in a tube attached to your pack rather than in a longer quiver.

brunoorz
08-17-2009, 11:12 PM
another vid modifications
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6LxKfpAPYA&feature=fvw

lucznik
08-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Maybe I misunderstood (I did, afterall, only skim the material). I thought the article said the arrows collapsed on impact - which would make them waste all kinds of energy that could be used for penetration.

As far as collapsible, or even sectionable, arrows are concerned; they actually are a possiblility. I know a guy who uses such a thing for hunting mountain lions. He cuts his arrows in half and then uses a connecter peice in the middle to put them together when he is getting ready for the shot. The broken-down arrows are much nicer for running after the dogs through thick brush and over steep terrain. The issue here, however, is that the lions are shot while treed and from very short distances, usually something along the 5-6 yard range.

If you tried to use such arrows for longer shots more common to hunting (20-30 yds), they would likely prove less than satisfactory as the connection in the middle causes the arrow to have a much stiffer-than-normal spine.

lucznik
08-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I watched that second video.

I like his modifications. The whisker bisquit was a really good idea.

I also noticed that the guy has "downgraded" his hunting talk to be speaking of small game (rabbits, squirrels, etc) which I think is very wise. I would have no problem accepting that these could be effective at killing small game.

I may have to make one of these and give it a try. I have lots of old arrows lying around that I could use...

brunoorz
08-18-2009, 08:10 AM
oh yea i think the guy touches on that in the video Ken i dont know why that didnt sink in wile i was reading it? And that great lucznik tell me how it does and good luck.

glockcop
08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
He is limiting his shots to 10-20 yards. You bet at that short range and with the penetration he is getting, it will certainly kill small game up to smallish deer and goats. I sure would not want to be on the "sh*t end of that stick"! Looks like alot of fun. That info is good to know in a "SHTF" situation. Those with weapons, even primitive weapons, will be the meat eaters. Those without can have my share of the greens. I'm not too much into salad! Best.

brunoorz
08-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Well i tried it out.I had the sling shot so i shortened the standard bands by 2 inches.
I went up to my local wally world and bought the whisker biscuit replacement (eye)?, two 4 dollar 26"? inch cheapo arrows, and a box of field tips.

Results
from about 15- 20 yards on a FULL pull back i got about a 2 inch penetration in to a solid clay hill.

after 18 yards or so you will have to account for drop.

i can easily see this killing medium sized game if the user is good enough with the tool (lets face it thats a standard)

it was worth the money if just for the fun/novelty factor and i do think with the addition of the extra strong band it could be very useable/functional.

and if you lose the arrows you can always use rocks youl never run out of them.

Lets hope this should never HAVE to be used.

chiye tanka
08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Slingshot or bow?

Madison Parker is a former USN SEAL in Marianna, FL who makes slingshots and hunts whitetail dear with them.
He teaches jungle survival to the public but is also under contract with the Navy to teach it to the SEALs.

edr730
08-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I had a fellow show me his collapsible arrows (cut and inserted in the center) about thirty five years ago. I saw a group of guys who used the slingshots with arrows in the fifties. Removable tips must be about 10,000 years old. Still is interesting though. I've seen complete pass though on young deer with 32 lbs, but, of course, is not recommended. 45 lb bow is plenty deadly though.

hunter63
08-19-2009, 11:13 AM
OMG, I thought that we (buddies and I invented) this about 50 years ago, but with home-made sling shots and a bent coat hanger for an arrow rest.
Cool idea, like the ring better.
What the heck is a "ranger ring"?

brunoorz
08-19-2009, 11:36 AM
yea if your going to do this i would suggest you get the whisker biscuit the ring tends to alter the flight when it comes in contact with the fletchings.

hunter63
08-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Made one today, don't think I would use it for deer unless I simply didn't have anything else.
I can see alot of wounded deer.