PDA

View Full Version : Cat tails and frogs

ecko
10-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Well, I have heard rumors that you can cook cattails and they taste like potatos? is this true? If so...how do you cook them?

One more thing, how exactly do you prepare and eat a frog?
There are no poisonous frogs over here, so I don't think I would have to worry about poison frogs.

Although don't alot have diseases?

owl_girl
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
You can cook cattail. No part of the cattail is poisonous. My brother cooked and eat the flower spike in early spring and said it tasted like potato. You can boil or roast the flower spike. You can also boil the roots.

wareagle69
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
i used to run out and but all the books on survival and wild edibles i could find i have accumalated quite a library for good reference but since the loonie and greenback have hit parity and the book stores haven't i rely on google

i google ever question i can think of and then print it off for my own book but nothing beats experience i write down all my experiments in another folder, this is my suggestion to you.

always be prepared....

MCBushbaby
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
You can eat the roots raw, dried and crushed into powder to add to soups, or boiled. Boiled they can be prepared like a potato. Roots are best harvested in the later autumn to early spring as they have the most starch then.

The young shoots can be eaten raw or cooked. Likewise with the base of the mature stem (remove the outer bark first). The immature flowering spike can be eaten raw or cooked into a soup, the seeds can be roasted and eaten like shucked sunflower seeds, and the pollen can be brushed into flour for extra protein.

The leaves should not be eaten; they are best used as thatch.

Frogs are best roasted, in my opinion. You can boil them to get them perfectly cooked but they retain a little "froggy" taste. If you do boil them, roast them over some hot coals to singe the flesh and to pronounce the chicken flavor. To prepare them, cut the belly and gut them. Stick on a stick and roast away. Eat the back legs and some of the back muscle, the front legs may be too small to get anything off.

ecko
10-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Awesome! thanks for telling me, but how do you gut the frog?

Sarge47
10-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Awesome! thanks for telling me, but how do you gut the frog?

With a knife, of course. Didn't you take Biology in High School?

wareagle69
10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
what's high school?

ecko
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Well obviously with a knife. But there are certain methods.

In which I would like to know if you just slice down the belly, then just pull out the guts?

I dont know...

Sarge47
10-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Well obviously with a knife. But there are certain methods.

In which I would like to know if you just slice down the belly, then just pull out the guts?

I dont know...

You can do that, also you can just cut the hind legs off and peel the skin away, if you wish. I used to soak mine in salt water for a few hours to held soak out anything like the "frog" taste. I only used the back legs. Uh, BTW, the "knife" bit was a joke!

trax
10-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Cattail root and seeds can also be ground up into a kind of flour. About cooking frogs...is there nothing else available?

explodingearth
10-30-2007, 02:51 AM
why got the frog? just squeeze out the poop and youre good? guts are extra meat

Beo
10-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Well the cattail root is very good, I agree with Mitch.Chesney and Trax, but damn I hate frog. There's gotta be more to eat than frogs. But that's just because I hate frog. :)

trax
10-30-2007, 12:20 PM
why got the frog? just squeeze out the poop and youre good? guts are extra meat

I've never eaten frog and I'm not in any hurry to, however with animals of...shall we say greater substance, gutting is essential because of the risk of disease from several animal parts that weren't meant to be digested by our delicate systems. Consequently, my guess is that gutting frogs is for the same reason.

But I'm really in agreement with Beowulf, there must be something else to eat, lol (of course if it was necessary I'd swallow the beasties raw to stay alive)

explodingearth
10-30-2007, 09:54 PM
trax what are all the parts of an animal that are NOT usable? i wouldnt want to waste any part of a creature i killed if i didnt have to. maybe you could fill me in on some uses for the various parts other than the meat? and what guts are generally ok to eat?

trax
10-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Organ meat (liver and kidneys) is ok to eat, or if it looks "iffy" to you then chances are the whole critter is contaminated. The intestines, stomach and lining, brains are all useful for things other than food. You're never going to get anything from the stomach to the anus clean enough to eat, and it's all going to be chew but no swallow, like trying to eat rubber, but you can use the material for all kinds of things, rope, containers, etc. You can probably clean the stomach out good enough to make a water carrier, the brains are used for tanning the hide. Lungs and trachea are pretty much waste as far as I know.

If you down an animal and it's got yellowish spots on the liver, it's diseased, don't eat the meat. Same if there's lumps on the flesh or on the lungs...critter's got cancer dude, burn it.

FVR
10-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Ecko,

Where ya from?

Only poisonous frogs I know of is S. America. When we were in Panama we were taught that any small glossy shiny frog, stay the heck away as they were the poison ones. I enjoy going to the Atl. zoo every now and then, they have a good display of poison dart frogs.

explodingearth
10-30-2007, 10:13 PM
poison frogs can be used to tip your arrows or darts. if youre careful i mean. you can just rub the tip of your arrow over their skin as far as i know. dont even have to kill them or touch them... assuming they stand still while you tip your arrows

trax
10-30-2007, 10:24 PM
what's high school?

Yer gonna have to learn about that stuff, bro. You can't deprive Norm of a higher education

jose lobo
10-31-2007, 12:06 AM
you can lick a poison dart frog, you can hold it in your hand ,even in your mouth, but you can not let the poison for there gland get in any way into your blood stream,,
they do make great poison for sure,, and if it get into your blood, there is nothing the doc, can do for you.
but if you are in the jungle there are much more poising plants that work the same way,, or even more new improved ways.

corndog-44
10-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Bullfrog legs are good eating. The backs are good, too. Just leave the backs attached to the legs. Taste like frogs. Use the waste for bait to catch a mess of crawdads to eat. Or maybe a catfish or two.

explodingearth
10-31-2007, 12:37 AM
i wouldnt recommend to anyone that they can lick or touch poison dart frogs. even if you think youre sure that you can do so

owl_girl
10-31-2007, 01:20 AM
you can lick a poison dart frog, you can hold it in your hand ,even in your mouth, but you can not let the poison for there gland get in any way into your blood stream

If you put something under your tongue it will get in your blood stream.

owl_girl
10-31-2007, 02:09 AM
If you down an animal and it's got yellowish spots on the liver, it's diseased, don't eat the meat. Same if there's lumps on the flesh or on the lungs...critter's got cancer dude, burn it.

Have you ever got an animal that was diseased like that?

Beo
10-31-2007, 07:12 AM
U know what, if I had to eat a frog to survive I'd damn sure do it, but I'm just gonna try really hard, I mean using all my skills, to find something else other than a frog. Dunno why I won't eat a frog, just hate 'em (eating 'em that is). I ate all kinds of s**t in the army, grasshoppers, bugs, ants, snake, gator, and in Korea I tried Kaygogie (Anyone know what that is? Sarge shhhh! And it wasn't too bad) but I gotta tell ya eating frog is wierd to me and I don't know why.

FVR
10-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Laygogie, yeh ate once or twice. First time I did not know, the second time, well............Then there was the Phillipino dish, forget what it's called, it is chicken eggs with the chicken almost hatched. Ehhhh, once is enough.

Love the kimchi. I am a once or twice a week sushi and kimchi at lunch guy.

As far as poison dart frogs, but the Green Beret teaching the jungle warfare class instructed us not to even have the frogs on our skin. They secrete some kind of potent chemical through their glands and if you get it on your skin, you a dead man.

So, lick a frog if you want..............to die.

Beo
10-31-2007, 09:12 AM
First time I ate Kaygogie was an accident but the rest, yeah I chose the dish and found it rather tasty, Kimchi... aghhhh!!! pass their bro, no rotten cabbage for me, pretty much I don't do cabbage (although being Irish is that a sin :) And poison frogs, secreting poison from them, now ya know why I don't mess with frogs, but here in the U.S. of A I believe we good on the poison frog front.

trax
10-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Have you ever got an animal that was diseased like that?

Nope, but I know fellas that have and they described it to me pretty graphically. Leaves a person feeling pretty squeamish over all apparently.

trax
10-31-2007, 04:47 PM
you can lick a poison dart frog, you can hold it in your hand ,even in your mouth,

Why would anyone do that? I mean with any frog :eek: some kind of weird school ground dare?

Beo
10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
True, I don't wanna eat frog so I'm darn tooting not gonna lick his a**! :D

Beo
10-31-2007, 04:50 PM
You're a Frog Licker!!! :D Darn I kill myself.

explodingearth
10-31-2007, 04:55 PM
lol. some people lick bufo toads for the 5-MeO-DMT content in their skin. also smoke their skin which is pretty wrong and disgusting too.

trax
10-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Not even going to respond to this until beowulf has a chance to stop rolling around on the floor laughing at his own joke. :) I keep seeing that episode of the Simpson's with Homer talking to Bart on the phone "I"m not not licking toads" tosses aside two duds before he finds one that stones him and his pupils dilate to the size of saucers. ("ahhh,that's the one")

Beo
10-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Frog Licker!!! Frog Licker!!!! Frog Liker!!! Lol Lol Lol Lol!!!
Damn!

Beo
10-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Okay its outta my system... Lol... maybe. :)

owl_girl
10-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey Beowulf... is it illegal to lick a frog to get high?:D

Beo
10-31-2007, 05:24 PM
If it ain't it should be :) any frog licking should be a crime :)

Sarge47
10-31-2007, 05:29 PM
If it ain't it should be :) any frog licking should be a crime :)

Well MY Frog can lick YOUR Frog! Besides, how you gonna find a prince if you keep bypassing all these frogs?

owl_girl
10-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I wonder what the street value of one of them frogs are. What’s the penalty for frog dealin?

Beo
10-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Twenty to life iving in the city :)

Beo
10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Ever wonder why we try to eat the stuff we eat? Like Frogs (or licking them),
I mean who first tried licking a frog, eating a dog or a gator, what made people try eating monkey's? Just thinking but look at the wierd stuff humans stick in their mouths and guts... :)

owl_girl
10-31-2007, 05:48 PM
So what ya in for? Licken frogs.
I’m having to much fun with this idea.

Beo
10-31-2007, 05:50 PM
I work in the city (not by choice) but live waaaaaaay out of it. Takes a country boy to put these city folks in place!!!! Hee Hee!!!

trax
10-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Froglickers anonymous?

dea napalming swamps to take out the "frog labs"

Kiss my Frog!

MCBushbaby
10-31-2007, 06:06 PM
In reply to the post about eating their organs as "just more meat"... unless you are absolutely sure an organ is okay to eat, do not eat. In fact, do not let the juices from any organ get into meat you do plan to eat. Liver in a frog is a good example. Frogs are "indicator species", meaning they show the first signs of pollution contamination because they absorb chemicals and toxins thru the skin easily. What does this mean for the internal organs? Well all those absorbed toxins are going to be filtered out and concentrated in the liver. I don't know about the other organs but I certainly wouldn't touch them.

Beo
10-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Haaaa Ha!! Frog Lick'n gut sucking flatfooter!!!
This frog tuff still cracks up!

trax
10-31-2007, 06:19 PM
that I was more clear than I was apparently. I sure wasn't talking frogs, although Mitch is right about their being an indicator species. A person should be able to identify healthy meat, if an animal has been ingesting toxins, the liver is the first "filtering" system in the body. I said once if it looks "iffy" don't risk it, but if you're not sure what to look for, you probably shouldnt be out killing animals to begin with, sorry, or you should be with someone who's teaching you.

About the frogs, damages to our environment usually show up in marsh, swamp and bog type areas first (the everglades for instance) These are very delicate eco-systems and the changes show there, hence the same is true for the animals that habituate those areas.

This is also true of tundra areas in the north, because the balance of the system is so delicate, damage to the system shows up more clearly and more quickly.

Beo
10-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey explodingearth what is "bufo toads" do you mean bullfrog toads?
And have you licked'em? If so why? and what did it do for you? I'll get my nutrients elsewhere, thanks.
Frog Licker!!!

trax
10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Hey explodingearth what is "bufo toads" do you mean bullfrog toads?
And have you licked'em? If so why? and what did it do for you? I'll get my nutrients elsewhere, thanks.
Frog Licker!!!

He gets like this when he's just licked too many d*** frogs, some guys just don't know their limit. Get that frog away from him!!

explodingearth
11-03-2007, 02:20 AM
its a type of toad that secretes a highly potent LEGAL psychedelic compound known as 5-MeO-DMT closely related to DMT which is found in alot of plants esp in south america. the tribes make teas with it called ayahuasca and they make snuffs that they blow into
eachothers noses for a strong strong trip. you can smoke it too its only orally active with umm... SSRI's or the other type of anti depressant not sure...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoactive_toad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-MeO-DMT

ive never done dmt or 5 meo but i have taken shrooms and DPT
DPT is another tryptamine compound similiar to DMT and 5 meo. DPT was utterly insane i can go into detail about that if anone wants shrooms are pretty weird too i try to keep it low dose for now. shrooms are pretty interesting

nell67
11-03-2007, 02:45 AM
its a type of toad that secretes a highly potent LEGAL psychedelic compound known as 5-MeO-DMT closely related to DMT which is found in alot of plants esp in south america. the tribes make teas with it called ayahuasca and they make snuffs that they blow into
eachothers noses for a strong strong trip. you can smoke it too its only orally active with umm... SSRI's or the other type of anti depressant not sure...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoactive_toad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-MeO-DMT

ive never done dmt or 5 meo but i have taken shrooms and DPT
DPT is another tryptamine compound similiar to DMT and 5 meo. DPT was utterly insane i can go into detail about that if anone wants shrooms are pretty weird too i try to keep it low dose for now. shrooms are pretty interesting

Way TMI dude!

chopp29
02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Yes like stated above im from louisiana and we have both, you can boil the meaty part and roots, and im not sure about all frogs but down here we have huge bull frogs, which people actually hunt at night its called gigging. Anyway cut the legs off peal the skin and cook em over a fire....Yum Yum Where you from Ecko if you dont mind me asking?

Rick
02-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I used to gig frogs all the time. Mom would fry those rascals like chicken. They'd hop around in the skillet like they were trying to get away. They are some good eating.

chopp29
02-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes they are Rick, Yes they are.....hey in Louisiana back in the day the gigs we used were kinda like spear pitchforks....but i dont remeber what year they actually passed a law that puncturing there skin was inhumane, so they made the new gigs kinda like a long stick with a grabber on the end.......know what I mean? we still used the spear type gigs though, are if the frogs were big enough a .22 lol. was that the same where your from? the law thing i mean.?

Rick
02-19-2008, 09:33 PM
The barbed pitchfork design was all I ever used. I haven't been in years and I'm sure it's been outlawed. If I remember correctly it had five barbs on it and I stuck it on an old broom handle.

A grabber on the end, huh? So you have to humanly catch them so you can inhumanely kill them. Do lawmakers have a sense of humor or what?

I had to look up the law for Indiana:

Frog (bull and green only) June 15, 2007 - April 30, 2008 25 per day

Frogs may be taken with gig or spear, with a head not more than three inches in width and a single row of tines, long bow and arrow,club, hands alone or pole or hand line, with not more than one hook or artificial lure attached. Firearms used for frog hunting are restricted to a .22-caliber firearm loaded with bird shot only.

chopp29
02-19-2008, 09:40 PM
lol i agree....but yea same here, the barb fork thing, and then belive it are not yes a grabber...only to gently grab them, then beat there heads against the side of the boat.....