PDA

View Full Version : Compass

wizardslovak
08-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Well after searching and finding nothing about compasses i decided to make thread about compasses
I am interested in buying one
Once i got that cheap one but it didnt work, always showed other way , never the same so my question is what are the good once?
any help appreciate
admins if thread was already posted please delete/move and point me to one
wizzy

Rick
08-12-2009, 09:17 PM
It's okay. We have a lot of new folks on board and it's a very good subject. Let's go with it.

Compasses are a bit of a confusing animal. They shouldn't be but the corporate jockeying that has taken place makes it that way. I hope I remember this correctly. Silva made Silva compasses in Europe. Johnson Outdoors, being the ever shrewd corporation they are, trademarked the Silva name in the USA. So even though Silva owned the compass name they couldn't market the Silva name in the US. So now it looks like this:

Silva AB sells Brunton and Nexus in the US
Johnson Outdoors sells Silva in the US

Crazy, huh?

Silva has been making compasses for a long time. Brunton and Nexus are just names. They are Silva compasses and both good brands.

You'll see very distinct similarities between all three, however. Very competitive game.

Whew! Now I'm tired.

wizardslovak
08-12-2009, 09:20 PM
what would be difference in performance between liquid filled and gas filled?

SARKY
08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I have a Silva Ranger which is my main compass and a type 27 wich is my small backup compass. I've never heard of gas filled, what would be the point? liquid is in the compass to give resistance and help settleout the needle so it doesn't bounce around.

Rick
08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Liquid filled dampens the movement of the needle. It eliminates the wild swing that you sometimes see in a dry compass. Dry compasses can become inaccurate in very cold or humid weather and, since the needle moves a lot in a dry compass, you will see them wear fairly quickly. I used to know what the liquid is in the compass but can't seem to recall at the moment. I know it's a petroleum base so it doesn't freeze but I don't remember specifically what it is.

Bottom line, liquid filled is the better of the two.

rebel
08-12-2009, 09:38 PM
As per an old instructor, the liquid (alcohol) can be used to help start a fire. I don't have any personal experience with that.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Well out of the ones named Sarky hit the nail on the head which I am most familiar with. Of the civilian models I think the Ranger is the most similar to the military lensatic compass. I like these two (because of familiarity) they can be used to do section and resection.(using two known points to find an unknown point),using the sights. If this confuses you see the Army land nav manual.I'm sure SARKY could explain it better than I if he is so inclined(sorry SARKY I know I opened a can of worms) I can do it, I can show you how, but don't think I could explain it without confusing someone. One of those cases where a picture REALLY is worth a thousand words. Most of my experience is with military map and compass, But my preference IS the military Lensatic compass. I don't think any civilian compass can take the abuse those can and still be accurate (I've destroyed more than one good compass). However you have to be very careful as there are many look a likes. If I could find one I would rather have an M-2 compass as they are in mils instead of degrees 360* compared to 6400 mils, so they can be even more accurate in declination,and it has a mirror too. Maybe I should just hush before I confuse someone. Sorry if I have.

SARKY
08-13-2009, 03:32 AM
I have 2 Silva Rangers and one of them is in mils (or milirands for you civillian folks). The other plus on the Silva compasses is the mirror can double as a signal mirror. Of the two items, a good topo map and a good compass, the topo map is more useful.
Are you talking about triangulation or possibly biangulation? Taking a bearing off of several points in order to find your location on a map?

Rick
08-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Actually, all of the compasses manufacturers offer several models with mirrors.

Suunto is another name I failed to mention in my earlier post. They also offer quality compasses.

Ken
08-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Of the two items, a good topo map and a good compass, the topo map is more useful.

Are you talking about triangulation or possibly biangulation? Taking a bearing off of several points in order to find your location on a map?

I've found that a flexible ruler is quite useful when triangulating, plotting a course, or measuring distance using the map legend.

These work best:

http://sewforless.com/products/15973.jpg

They'll coil up for storage in your pack:

http://www.craftstylish.com/assets/uploads/2008/04/021307011_lg.jpg

A sewing tape will also work okay. It's easier to pack than the ruler, but more difficult to plot (draw) a line with:

http://www.weight-lifting-complete.com/images/measuring_tape_lg.jpg

rebel
08-13-2009, 09:53 AM
As per an old instructor, the liquid (alcohol) can be used to help start a fire. I don't have any personal experience with that.

I just remembered he also said you can't drink the alcohol. Sorry Mrs. Dukakis.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
I have 2 Silva Rangers and one of them is in mils (or milirands for you civillian folks). The other plus on the Silva compasses is the mirror can double as a signal mirror. Of the two items, a good topo map and a good compass, the topo map is more useful.

Yep, That's the deal!! You know the Army they like to sophisticate things with their own little nomenclature(that's name for civvies) see what I mean? Triangulation- biangulation = section - resection.
Thanks SARKY I knew you could straighten this out.

Ken
08-13-2009, 10:03 AM
I just remembered he also said you can't drink the alcohol. Sorry Mrs. Dukakis.

Nice. Picking on the poor Kitty. :innocent:
http://piccat.com/pictures/186/i_will_never_drink_again.jpg

rebel
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Nice. Picking on the poor Kitty. :innocent:]

I thought this might get a response from you.

Ken
08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I thought this might get a response from you.

Knew her. Knew him. Knew one of the kids (my age). I'll say no more. :innocent:

rebel
08-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Knew her. Knew him. Knew one of the kids (my age). I'll say no more. :innocent:

I'm certainly sorry for saying more. What're the chances...???

Ken
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm certainly sorry for saying more. What're the chances...???

Considering that I asked him, face to face, to resign as Governor? :innocent:

Pict
08-13-2009, 12:03 PM
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/8282/img3191dx9.jpg

I'm probably the oddball when it comes to the compass. I have used a Recta DP-2 box compass for years and have found no reason to change. It has sights on the top that allow you to take an accurate sighting, reading the degree in flop down mirror.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3717/img16539341503.jpg
Here's a users eye view of how it works.

My only complaint is that it is sort of noisy. Mac

Incidentally, the first photo was taken on top of the mountain in the bottom photo. I just noticed that.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
this is some pics of the M2 compass that I would LIKE to have. It is very accurate but cost is kida' prohibitive for me unless you can find one cheaper they are @ $150. it is tough

TomChemEngineer
08-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I personally use the military lensatic compass. I have used lensatics since...hmmm.. my Dad gave me one in 1965. I think they are glycerine-filled to provide good stability to the settling-out process. Glycerine will make a highly exothermic reaction (but a little slow to get started) with potassium permanganate (KMnO4), for those of you interested in draining your compass and making a flammable statement. Good surplus stores will carry the gen-u-wine metal-clad lensatic article for pretty reasonable prices, but again, beware of forgeries and look-alikes. Too much information, sorry.

Rick
08-13-2009, 02:29 PM
That's it! Glycerine, thank you. Couldn't remember that this morning.

Swamprat1958
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I have two Silva rangers and a couple of smaller Silva compasses that I have carried for years. I bought the first Siva Ranger in 1979 and it still works great. The only complaint I have that Silva has started making the housing out of plastic, the old ones were aluminum. The plastic may be OK, but aluminum just seems more sturdy.

Pal334
08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
I am glad to be reading this. I have always used and continue to use the Military issue compass. Why? because that is what they gave me:) And I seldom replace something if it ain't broke. So I have never given the thought that you guys have into the hows an whys. Thank you for sharing you experiences

Sarge47
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I have several, the most expensive being a Silva Ranger that I bought after seeing Bob Newman use one on his video: "The Ultimate Outdoorsman." The next best is the Victorinox brand "dial" compass. I also have several "knock-off" lensatic compasses; I'd love to get one of the M2's, but can't afford it right now. Liked Mac's as well. :cool2:

oneraindog
08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
question:
. ive been giving myself lessons using a couple books that reference base-plate compasses with transparent cases. a lot of the instructions discuss using the transparent case to align the compass with map lines to orient the compass and yourself

some of you have mentioned using compases that dont have transparent cases

how does the military style compasses or other non transparent compasses compensate for not being able to align them with the map as easily as those with transparent baseplates and cases?

SARKY
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey Sarge, Bob Newman was an instructor with me at SERE. He also wrote several articles for the now defunct American Survival Guide magazine. Good people!