PDA

View Full Version : pump shotgun troubleshooting

flop-n-jerk
08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
My shotgun works fine with bird shot and buck shot, but when I shoot slugs out of it ALL I get is jams. The first round goes fine because its already in the chamber, but the others seem to try and feed two rounds at once. The first will drop out of the mag tube, and the second will try and follow it, jammimg the whole action up. I have to reach in and push the other round back into the tube untill it clicks in, then chamber a round.

This only happens with slugs, everything else works fine. What is going on here?

Beo
08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Clean it, real good. It could be a bur on the inside of the load port as you ride forward it keeps the lift plate open. Or it could be the action spring or action spring follower or the shell latch.
Just my opinion.
Beo,

Beo
08-10-2009, 07:10 PM
What kind of shotgun do you have?

Pal334
08-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Strange as it may seem, there may be a slight difference in the length of the rounds you are using, slug longer or shorter, etc. Check that and maybe try different brands. Beo is also on target, before anything, a detailed cleaning with a close inspection of parts, maybe a glitch when it was manufactured

Beo
08-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Never try to re-use a shell that appears to have a a defect preventing it from being fired, or one that has visible damage from a malfunction. Shells (or any ammo for that matter) involved in a misfire or jam should be viewed as suspect; it's safer not to use that round and dispose of it properly than to take a chance and fire once more. You may not need to dispose of a round involved in a simple jamming problem, but if it has been damaged or compromised in any way, don't use it. When in doubt, consult a more experienced shooter and ask how to dispose of rounds that may be defective or damaged.
Pump guns will often simply work their way through problems by being cycled correctly and smartly. Short stroking (not completely cycling the action) and cycling with the support arm's elbow outward (with the elbow not correctly placed "under" the shotgun) may cause a bind in the action bars and is what most often makes the gun not opperate correctly, I call this operator malfunction.
A strong redeeming value of a pump action is almost any ammo that will chamber will fire and can then be cycled out by pumping, and then reloaded by completing the reciprocation of the bolt forward. For multiple shots (more than two--arguable to some and I believe this because less moving is less to malfunction) the pump actions are the most dependable of shotguns over the long haul, in hostile, heavy-use environments.
Your Double Feed... The double-fed malfunction actually comes in two formats. First is the action open format with two hulls stuck sort of like a horizontal "V" much like we often see in ARs. To clear it on a pump, pull back on the action to release pressure on the shells, roll the ejection port to the 6 o'clock position and use your fingers to manipulate the hulls out. I try to hold both and then put one back into the action, close the bolt and use as needed. The second shell can be loaded back into the magazine. If a hull is fired drop it, if you're not sure discard them both and start with fresh ammo. This discard both, or any shells comes with a precautionary note as shotguns most often do not have lots of ammunition in or on them, so I am guarded about ditching good ammo on purpose.
The second type of double feed is, in most cases, self-curing but it causes an issue because the feed way from the magazine tube is blocked, hot allowing more ammo to be placed into the magazine tube. By self-curing I mean the act of tiring the gun then sets off the chambered round which will cycle action and clear the gun on semi's and pumping the action on pump guns clears the chambered round and allows the under-the-bolt shell to now be loaded. This of course also clears access to the magazine tube. The primary cause is not seating the shell into the magazine tube correctly, which allows the shell to jump the shell stops and wedge under the bolt. See if this is it, happens all the time.
That's about all I kknow it could be. Hope this helps out some.
Beo,

flop-n-jerk
08-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Charles Daly Field Hunter Vsumthin sumthin sumtin

I cleaned it and inspected it pretty good, but I will certainly double check all of the above listed parts again.

The slugs and buckshot here the same brand, and the birdshot was the cheap 100 pack from walmart, but i might be the length causing the problem.

OICU812
08-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I've seen this in a few pumps and alot of auto-loaders, the much heavier slug shell comes out with more force if its a newer shotgun with a still strong tube spring, coupled with the fact of the "cheap & dirty" shot-shells you are using leaves un-burned flakes that will most likely have you tube port stop not fully engaging.
It may take a "complete" disassembly.

glockcop
08-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I know exactly what the problem is. That shot gun does not have REMINGTON 870 stamped into the receiver.:) Just joking. I believe that the overall length of the shells have something to do with your woes. Try to use slug shells with the same or close to the same lenght as the shot shells that you are running. Also a stiff mag tube spring could make that happen. Fully load it, put it in an ultra safe place, and let it sit for a couple weeks. That will soften the spring a little and should help things out. Your carrier could also not be traveling it's full arc due to the longer, heavier shells. Always work the action BRISKLY. DO NOT baby a pump guns action. Work the action hard with full stroke foward and backward. A good cleaning and inspection of manufacturing burs may also be in order. Also check the shell retainer at the rear of the mag tube. Make sure that it is working properly(stiff). Check the case head of the shells that want to double feed and make sure that they are not slightly smaller than the shot shells that run good for you. If they are slightly smaller , your shell retainer at the rear of the mag tube may not be getting a good hold on them which will make the shells tend to slip out. Hope ya get it worked out.