PDA

View Full Version : Yucca plant

panch0
08-09-2009, 10:29 PM
On a trip to Mexico where my in laws are from my mother in law told me to pull over and cut the flower off the top of a yucca plant. When we got back to their place she cooked it up with some chile and spices and it was pretty good. The flowers are good to eath before they bloom. I got back and did a little googling and that plant had a bunch of uses. I will look for a link on the different uses. We have alot of those plant down here in South Texas. Native American used this plant for thousands of years. I thought this was interesting.

http://www.desertusa.com/mag00/jun/papr/agave.html

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-09-2009, 10:45 PM
so many species of Yucca..... the common fla variety have a not too goood flavor harvesting the flowers before the blooms open i havent tried so thanks for that advice. i will try it this year. not all yuccas can be eaten.

panch0
08-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Thats good to know. Thanks.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
We used to eat the root and the seed pods from the common variety in NM as kids.

Icemancometh
08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I have got a yard full of those things, not sure which variety. Didn't know you could eat parts of them.

preachtheWORD
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
The fibers from the leaves can be made into quite excellent cordage. In my part of the world yucca is not really a native species, but there are quite a few "escaped" plants around.

To make cordage, you gently pound the leaves, especially the thicker base of the leaves, and remove the green matter. What you have left is strands of fiber that can be made into cordage using the reverse-twisting method.
Here is a link with pretty good instructions:
http://www.natureskills.com/cordage.html

When I was on mission in South America I tried yucca chips, which are much like our potato chips, but much firmer and crunchier. They are made from the root. I wish you could get them around here!

I have also seen the yucca root used on the Food Network.

oldsoldier
08-11-2009, 08:37 PM
The root can be fixed like a potato, and you can use yucca as a soap substitute

pocomoonskyeyes
08-11-2009, 09:10 PM
The wild variety in Ga. is called bear grass (don't know why) and I have eaten the flowers raw. Taste a little like bean or pea hulls, but pretty good as the taste is mild. On the subject of soap, in S.Ga. & Fla.(not sure of it's range beyond that) there is a plant called Soapbush (Clethra Alnifolia) that can be used to clean yourself. Grab some leaves, wet, and rub vigorously you'll be surprised at the lather. grows in low wet places, like swamps.

Rick
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Isn't washing up in a swamp in Florida sort of like cleaning dinner for the alligator?

crashdive123
08-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Gators just hate to eat unwashed people. They're kind of finicky that way.

Rick
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Someone pass me the mud, please.

rebel_chick
08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
We feed supplements with yucca in it to ease the pain on our older horses with arthritis in their joints and legs. Seems to work pretty well, usually combined with other things but the also make a yucca powder to fee them. Just thought that I would throw that in and was wondering if anyone knew if it works for people too?

pocomoonskyeyes
08-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Actually "Gators are not as dangerous as you might think. Nat. Geo.'s "Realm of the Alligator" with Kent Vliet was filmed in the Okefenokee Swamp and does not use zoom lenses in most shots. He Really was in the water that close!! I'll bet the whole 1/2 million acres of it against a 1/2 mile of well travelled road of your choice. The road will have more accidents, Yes Gators do attack people, but it is not a common occurence. Figure out how many autos are in Fla, how many wrecks.then figure how many Gators and people in proximity and do comparison with each other. Automobiles are MUCH MORE dangerous than 'Gators, yet we have no fear of cars,always seemed a bit weird to me.

Personally have been swimming in the same places as them and no problem YET. I was once swimming in a River near Waycross and after I swam by a spot an 8 footer surfaced AFTER I had passed by.That Gator could've had me any time it wanted. When I was a Boat Guide in said swamp I have slapped a 14' Gator on the snout to get him to open his mouth for tourists(Don't advise anyone else to do that). Same job - a canoe turned over with some people from NY, they lost everything they had on them that Didn't float. I went to the spot they turned over got out and felt around with my feet(bare) for anything that could be recovered including an $8000 emerald ring, wallets,etc. knowing it was an area that had Gators. I was in the water for about an hour searching. The people were so happy with what we recovered that they sent me a present to the park. It was a turkey feather and bear claw necklace... Turns out the man was a Seneca(Native American).

Most times you have an incident with Gators it's the same reason as problems with bears in State and Nat'l Parks.... People feeding them. They lose their fear of man and associate man with food,not a good combination. This is a good reason(and a friendly reminder) to NOT feed the Wildlife!

Now weren't we talking about Yucca?

crashdive123
08-12-2009, 06:31 AM
We've got a member that hasn't been on in a while (Gray Wolf) that was recently attacked by a gator in the Everglades while guiding a group. He probably doesn't share the same view as Kent - just saying.

Get well GW - hurry back.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Yeah it does happen, it could've been a female and she was guarding her young. Young and nest are another reason for attacks.Like any protective mother. I hope Gray wolf comes back and maybe give some insight on what happened.

Get well soon Gray Wolf. I hope everything is better soon.

Rick
08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
I just don't want to end up like....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HMo7qoiF43U/SBCp-mZg3jI/AAAAAAAAA08/UV9rEIsk5Xg/s320/gator.jpg

Back to:

http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/30063/135132/t/954528-A-Yucca-Plant-0.jpg

pocomoonskyeyes
08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Rick you image library is truly AMAZING!!!

crashdive123
08-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Took this pic last week.

Rick
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
They are all just in my head. Getting them on the computer is the amazing part.