PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Camp Gun 45

Pal334
08-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I have recently started to read about this rifle,Marlin Camp Gun 45. I know it has been discontinued by Marlin, but am fascinated by it. At least to me it has two features that appeal to me,
1) It is .45 (common to my 1911)
2) It can use the standard 1911 magazines.
I am not really interested in the high capacity magazines that are available as after market items
I am considering it as a companion to my 1911 for a hiking in northern PA and up state NY. Not considering it for use as a hunting weapon or competition, any use for self protection would be under 50 yards.
My question to the forum is: Do any of you have real time experience with it? Quality and reliablity are my primary areas of interest.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/campgun.htm

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Now that's a companion! Do I wanna shoot it with my .45 or my .45? Hmmm?LOL

Pal334
08-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Now that's a companion! Do I wanna shoot it with my .45 or my .45? Hmmm?LOL

I know, I am a simple guy, stick to what I like. Never handled one, but it does look like fun :) My previous walk around was a SOCOM 16, but it is either getting heavier, or I am getting older, besides, was a bit of an over kill for wha I was using it for.

Sourdough
08-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Never shot it, handled it at the store, Ruger did the same/same. I would just buy the Beretta Storm, it is left or right handed, comes in .45 acp, 40 S&W, .9 MM

Pal334
08-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Never shot it, handled it at the store, Ruger did the same/same. I would just buy the Beretta Storm, it is left or right handed, comes in .45 acp, 40 S&W, .9 MM

I will look at it before I decide, one of the biggest selling points to me for the Marlin is the interchangability of the magazines with the 1911 (will checkto see if it is the same with the Storm). Just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

2dumb2kwit
08-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I will look at it before I decide, one of the biggest selling points to me for the Marlin is the interchangability of the magazines with the 1911 (will checkto see if it is the same with the Storm). Just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

You sound kinda like me, trying to justify buying my S&W mountain gun.:innocent:

.......but I need a .44 mag wheel gun, to go with my .44 mag lever gun....yeah....really! LOL:innocent:

BTW, a friend of mine has a STORM, and he loves that thing.
(I don't know anything about the camp rifle.)

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I see no problem justifying more horsepower.... You have to have it!!!

Pal334
08-09-2009, 06:56 PM
2dumb and Cowboy: Can I use your comments on my wife? She just does not get it.:) Sort of like when I buy tools:)

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I'd try something like Sweety! when you start out to explain how hav'in 2 .45 is of a huge benefit!LOL!!

crashdive123
08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Pal - not to get into politics - (TDW and I are very active in that arena) -if your wife is as well just tell her - We (never use I when buying weapons) may not be able to buy one soon. Worked on my last 10,000 rounds and two weapons.

Pal334
08-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Guys, I appreciate the try :) . She ain't buying, she is across the room now glaring at me. I have found it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for "permission".

Pal334
08-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I just don't understand her, don't these make a cute couple?

crashdive123
08-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Looks like a match made in heaven.

2dumb2kwit
08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh wait.....tell her it's like having a great outfit, but need the shoe's and purse, to go with it.:innocent:

Rick
08-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Pal - I've been trailing that Marlin for six months or so. Hard to find and folks that have them really like them 'cause the price is usually high.

The Storm is just one pug ugly gun. It looks like it's been put together with left over pieces. That Marlin, though, now that's a man machine!!

Ole WV Coot
08-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Definitely with you all the way. The 45 was around before we were and will be after we have gone. For what you want and what I would use it's plenty gun. These "experts" and oddball calibers are mainly there to sell. Like everything else on the market it has to be labeled 'New & improved". I haven't bothered
to look at a gun magazine for a few years. I don't need a hand cannon or plan to drop anything at a mile. I have all the "new & improved" calibers my grandkids will get to play with, but my 45, 30-30 and 10-22 are everything I need in the 400 or so acres I roam.:):)

Pal334
08-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Pal - I've been trailing that Marlin for six months or so. Hard to find and folks that have them really like them 'cause the price is usually high.

The Storm is just one pug ugly gun. It looks like it's been put together with left over pieces. That Marlin, though, now that's a man machine!!

I have not gotten out to get a feeling for prices. What are the ball park prices you have seen? And I agree, there is something about real wood that appeals to me. Not to say synthetic stuff dosen't have a place, just not for me.

Rick
08-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Most I've seen of late are in the $750 - $800 range...if you can find them. From what I've read, the Marlins had a problem with the stock cracking behind the receiver from recoil. I've seen some say yes and some say they've never had a problem. Also the bolt stop or recoil buffer cracking. But Wisner's makes a replacement buffer.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/marlin/auto.htm

I've even seen a 40 round drum that fits it.

Pal334
08-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Coot: I have the view, that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For my usage, the .45 is more than adequate. Not to say it is the choice in other areas, just in my case. And at the risk of repeating myself (thats happens more and more as I age) the utility of magazine interchangability is a huge advantage. I have a 336c in 30-30 and enjoy it also. After reading all of the posts about the 10-22, I am going to check it out also, there is no way all of the posters can be wrong :)

Pal334
08-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Most I've seen of late are in the $750 - $800 range...if you can find them. From what I've read, the Marlins had a problem with the stock cracking behind the receiver from recoil. I've seen some say yes and some say they've never had a problem. Also the bolt stop or recoil buffer cracking. But Wisner's makes a replacement buffer.

Ouch!! Not sure if I want to go that high. I have read some of the problems with it, and it would appear that screws come loose causing the problems with the stock. I guess nothing is perfect. I will keep looking around.

crashdive123
08-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Would that same 40 round drum fit the 1911? Talk about gangsta!

Pal334
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Crash,, I think you may be trying to start some marital discord here? Wifey is considering some very unlady like actions!

2dumb2kwit
08-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Would that same 40 round drum fit the 1911? Talk about gangsta!

Yep.....it will! LOL

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=564303

Pal334
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Yep.....it will! LOL

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=564303

Thanks alot , you are a big help!!!! :) The only saving grace is
"Status ;Discontinued by MidwayUSA"

Rick
08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I would absolutely love a .45 carbine. I have two 9mm carbines that I ooh and aah over. But I can't find one in .45. That ole Beretta thing might be great but it just looks ugly to me. Real men like purdy guns.

I'm with you, Pal. There is something about that .45 that just talks to me. My everyday carry is .9mm but when I'm in the woods that .45 is on my hip. It just feels good...as long as you're on the sending end. Don't want on the receiving end. And there are no big brown or black fuzzy bunnies in the Midwest to worry about.

2dumb2kwit
08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks alot , you are a big help!!!! :) The only saving grace is
"Status ;Discontinued by MidwayUSA"

I saw some at a gun show last weekend, but you're right....they seem to be gone from on-line.

BTW, have you seen one?????:innocent:

crashdive123
08-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Built in bench rest.

Rick
08-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Can you say, "Red hot mama!"? I knew you could.

Pal334
08-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I would absolutely love a .45 carbine. I have two 9mm carbines that I ooh and aah over. But I can't find one in .45. That ole Beretta thing might be great but it just looks ugly to me. Real men like purdy guns.

I'm with you, Pal. There is something about that .45 that just talks to me. My everyday carry is .9mm but when I'm in the woods that .45 is on my hip. It just feels good...as long as you're on the sending end. Don't want on the receiving end. And there are no big brown or black fuzzy bunnies in the Midwest to worry about.

Are you two 9mms Marlins? If so how do they "feel" and shoot?
I agree, Beretta is a good manufacturer, I just like a more looking traditional rifle.

And 2dumb: Are you trying to get me divorced? :)

Rick
08-10-2009, 07:31 PM
No, I wish. I have a Highpoint 995 and a Kel-Tec sub 2000. Both .9mm.

SARKY
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Has anyone thought about rebarreling a 30 carbine to .45acp? You would need the round as opposed to the flat bolt to open up plus a couple of other mods.

Pal334
08-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Has anyone thought about rebarreling a 30 carbine to .45acp? You would need the round as opposed to the flat bolt to open up plus a couple of other mods.

I guess that would be an option, however I try to stay with "as is" weapons. I do like the heft and feel of the carbine, so it maybe something to explore. Thanks for the idea

rebel
08-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Here's a little helpful info if you get one.

http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/2007/04/marlin-camp-45-tips.html

2dumb2kwit
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
And 2dumb: Are you trying to get me divorced? :)

Heck no....I was just excited to finally be able to contribute some useful info!

BTW......did you try the "Shoe's and hand-bag" line? LOL:innocent:

Pal334
08-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Here's a little helpful info if you get one.

http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/2007/04/marlin-camp-45-tips.html

I did see that. I guess it does have some "warts", have to keep them in mind. Thanks for the article.

Pal334
08-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Heck no....I was just excited to finally be able to contribute some useful info!

BTW......did you try the "Shoe's and hand-bag" line? LOL:innocent:

Oh no!!!,, Thank you, you have been more than enough help on the female communications front :)

donny h
08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Ouch!! Not sure if I want to go that high.

That's the rub on the Camp Carbine, back when it could be had new for under $400 it was a decent little carbine, but at collector prices...

Another note, if you shoot the Marlin southpaw, it sprays your face with hot residue, blowback means exactly that.

I have a Sub2K, it's a shame that KelTec never offered that one in 45acp.

Pal334
04-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Well,, I finally saw one in person today at a Gun Shop in Bristol PA. It was tagged for $700 and for an additional $150 he would include the ten 1911 mags that the previous owner (deceased, natural causes) had used in it.Unfortunately the tag also said a guy had a $200 deposit on it :( . The guy at the counter was pretty helpful, he let me "heft it" and boy did it feel sooooo good :). He also said that as far as he could remember it was the first one he has seen in the shop in 3 plus years. I did leave him my card and promised if the deal fell through, I would be there in a Jersey minute with the $850. Aaaah, almost a dream come true

randyt
04-17-2010, 03:21 PM
i have two camp carbines, one in 9mm and one in 45 acp. unfortunately i cannot offer any advise because the guns had belonged to my dad. now they sit in the gun safe waiting to be tried out. if only you were closer.

Rick
04-17-2010, 03:48 PM
If you really, really loved movies like Tobruk, the Devil's Brigade or The Wild Geese then you probably remember Jack Watson sporting a sterling.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/5/5a/WG-Sterling-6a.jpg/500px-WG-Sterling-6a.jpg

Now you can own one, too...

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/century-arms-semi-auto-version-of-sterlings-smg-9mm/?email=products_img

Pal334
04-17-2010, 03:57 PM
i have two camp carbines, one in 9mm and one in 45 acp. unfortunately i cannot offer any advise because the guns had belonged to my dad. now they sit in the gun safe waiting to be tried out. if only you were closer.

Maybe it is a good thing . if we were closer, I may consider something very ungentlemanly :). When you do get a chance to try them out, I would like to hear your impression . You are such a lucky dog :)

randyt
04-17-2010, 04:18 PM
actually if you were closer i would loan you the gun. after a couple months you would either want one or not. generally it takes a couple months to get that out of a fellas system or not :)

Pal334
04-17-2010, 07:22 PM
actually if you were closer i would loan you the gun. after a couple months you would either want one or not. generally it takes a couple months to get that out of a fellas system or not :)

That is a nice thought. I am hooked and I have not even fired one. Guess I am sort of single minded :)

randyt
05-02-2010, 06:17 PM

in my dads gun stuff i found a camp carbine stock with a crack behind the receiver opening. i don't know why he kept it.

Rick
05-02-2010, 06:38 PM
There's one from the yes camp. Put it on eBay. Everything sells on eBay.