PDA

View Full Version : what to eat

wilf123
08-06-2009, 06:17 PM
in the states when your survivingin the wilds what type of animals, birds would you hunt for using a high powerd airifle and where would you hunt it.

rebel_chick
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
when you are survining you get what you can catch. I don't know too much about air rifles, but if they are anywhere near a regular .22 with good aim you could kill just about anything. (ALMOST)

crashdive123
08-06-2009, 06:48 PM
in the states when your survivingin the wilds what type of animals, birds would you hunt for using a high powerd airifle and where would you hunt it.

Really, you can take any small game with a quality air rifle. I have a cheaper one with interchangable barrels .177/.22 that shoots at 1000 fps/800 fps depending on the barrel and caliber. I am confident in my ability to take small game with it. Also, keep in mind that can buy larger caliber air rifles. Some Wal Marts around here sells 50 cal air rifles.

preachtheWORD
08-10-2009, 01:10 PM
There are no poisinous birds or mammals in North America, so in a survival situation, you could eat any of them. But you will have to cook them properly and be careful of the intestines which can harbor parasites.

Repites, amphibians, and insects are another matter. Some of these are poisonous. Beware of anything brightly colored or slow-moving.

wilf123
08-13-2009, 03:23 AM
dont think i fancy eating bugs and reptiles yuk i will stick to rabbits and squirrels and fowl,i have already had rabbit,squirrel ,but have only eaten pigeon ,and pheasant ,turkey, tried a gull last spring bloody salty and greasyand slightly fishy .

Rick
08-13-2009, 06:06 AM
If your plan is to hunt along your trek then you probably don't want to try that.

LEO will frown on having to answer repeated calls about someone walking down the road or past their home with a rifle. It may be an air rifle but, from a distance, folks won't know. Given the number of crazy folks that seem to be running about, you will probably be reported quite often.

You will need to have a license in each state that you travel. They are state specific and that will get a bit pricey since you will be acquiring a non-resident license. If you are caught hunting without a license it's considered poaching. AND, if you happen to have a migratory waterfowl in your possession the fine is pretty steep. I don't know what the current cost is but I'm sure several hundred dollars PER bird.

Taking game in any manner on private land will likely put you at odds with the land owner should he/she catch you.

Of course, if you are truly in a survival situation then you will do what you have to do. However, you are not going to have too many areas where that might occur on the ADT.

I think you'd be better off carrying snare wire. It will offer you a multi-use capability, is easily concealable and does a pretty good job of procuring game if you know how and where to use it.

wareagle69
08-13-2009, 07:59 AM
well there is always crown land for national forest , you could go pretty tactical and not have to worry about being seen

Rick
08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
How dare you sir? Crown Land in the middle of the United States of America?! I think not. One sovereign nation! Free from all tyranny! Blah, blah, blah...you know the rest.

Ken
08-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Well, if it's Crown Land, there should be a lot of crowned cranes........

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/27/7827-004-0B53BFF0.jpg

NightShade
08-22-2009, 12:37 PM
mmmmm... crowned crane looks delicious!!!!

AbandonAllHope
08-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, if it's Crown Land, there should be a lot of crowned cranes........

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/27/7827-004-0B53BFF0.jpg

lol, replace crown with federal, dont think that makes for any bird names though.