PDA

View Full Version : Tactical lights on handguns....wow...WOW

Sourdough
08-06-2009, 12:24 AM
OK....before you jump on me for all the reasons you hate tactical lights (Note: I hated them till I tried them). 95% of the critters I point a firearm at have four legs, and no arms. Yes, I just got my first three tactical lights, and WOW, for my application, (Going to the outhouse in the dark) they are wonderful. Soon all the AR's & Glocks & Sig Sauer will be wearing headlights. The question: Does anyone make a powerful tactical light with an adjustable beam width.......?

Ken
08-06-2009, 12:29 AM
http://www.columbussupply.com/products/?productid=720&price=1453

http://www.glockworld.com/lightsandlasers.htm

Pal334
08-06-2009, 03:38 AM
I was never a fan of weapon mounted lighting. Too cumbersome, etc. But in your application it does seem like a no brainer. Do you use the standard "throw away" batteries or rechargeable?

Pal334
08-06-2009, 03:52 AM
I remembered seeing this.Seems like a good "outhouse companion" for those late evening forays. A Simple design, pre setup for lights etc, allows you to concentrate on your task. :)

Stoeger Double Defense: http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

crashdive123
08-06-2009, 06:36 AM
I have tactical lights on a couple of my weapons. I like them.

Sourdough
08-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I was never a fan of weapon mounted lighting. Too cumbersome, etc. But in your application it does seem like a no brainer. Do you use the standard "throw away" batteries or rechargeable?

Throw away batteries, this was a test, so I only paid $35.00 each for the lights. Now, I will get one real good one, and maybe two good ones.

sgtdraino
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I like them too! Like night sights, I would have rails on all my weapons if I had that option.

I own two Streamlight weapon lights, an M3 (light only) and an M6 (light and laser sight built in). I love the way they easily go on, and come off very quickly. They are quite lightweight, barely noticable.

I am not as big a fan of the Surefire shotgun forend, which to me is overly heavy. I recently sold the one I had, and plan to just get a regular forend with rails, and just use the M3 or M6 on it as needed.

As to regular versus rechargeable, it seems to me that in the past, rechargeable batteries could generally not be used in these lights, because they have a tendency to burn out the bulbs or LEDs. Anybody got any experience with using rechargeables?

Pal334
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I have had my StreamLight rechargeable (hand held, not weapon mounted)for about 7-8 years and have had no problem with bulbs etc, or holding a charge. Must admit though, my actual use has declined in the last few years, maybe that has something to do with my luck.

sgtdraino
08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I have had my StreamLight rechargeable (hand held, not weapon mounted)for about 7-8 years and have had no problem with bulbs etc, or holding a charge. Must admit though, my actual use has declined in the last few years, maybe that has something to do with my luck.

If it's actually designed for use with rechargeable batteries, that's different of course. I am told that most of the weapon lights are not designed with that in mind, however.

The light has to have its circuits protected against an overload, because when a rechargeable battery is first activated (i.e. you switch the light on), there tends to be a voltage spike, before it settles down to ordinary output.

Beo
08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I used them over in Afghanistan and love them, on my M4 it was a no brainer because its perfect and easy to add on the rail, on my Colt 1911 I don't have one but will be adding one soon, on my H&K USP .40 of course there is one. Taclights are a great tool and will always be using one. Not big on laser sights, but I use the EOTech 512 on my AR and love it, yeah it has a taclight too.
I'm with Draino on the batteries, most I have seen use standard batteries not rechargable.
Beo,

oldsoldier
08-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Soon all the AR's & Glocks & Sig Sauer will be wearing headlights. The question: Does anyone make a powerful tactical light with an adjustable beam width.......?

I have a tactical light laser combo on my Ar it's mounted on the picannty rail just in front of the "pistol grip" handle on the forearm that way all you need to do is flip the power switch with your thumb then select light/laser/both. Mine does not have an adjustable beam but works pretty good out to 50-60'
I have heard sure fire is making an adjustable beam but I haven't seen one yet.

Sourdough
08-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, I continue to be fully enrolled in the flashlight that shoots. I have shifted from thinking of the tool as a Firearm with a light attached. To, now I just grab a flashlight, that also fires bullets. Just went out to open the gate so the Thundering Gaggle of Attack Geese could start their morning security patrol in Complete blackness, how great to have a flashlight with a trigger. And these lights cost me $30.00 I am ready for the best of the best flashlights that shoot.

Pal334
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Well, I continue to be fully enrolled in the flashlight that shoots. I have shifted from thinking of the tool as a Firearm with a light attached. To, now I just grab a flashlight, that also fires bullets. Just went out to open the gate so the Thundering Gaggle of Attack Geese could start their morning security patrol in Complete blackness, how great to have a flashlight with a trigger. And these lights cost me $30.00 I am ready for the best of the best flashlights that shoot.

You know, you are persuasive. I never thought of it the way you just expressed it. I am going to rethink my postion on flashlight. Mmm flashlight with a trigger does make sense.

lucznik
08-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Tactical lights are fine for Law Enforcement, Military, etc. who purposely engage in actual tactical events against real bad guys.

I do not like them on civilian weapons. Their use absolutely requires the violation of one of the most important rules of gun safety:

"Do not point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy."

Flame on if you like, but I can just see some teenager trying to sneak back in the home after a late-night party only to be accidentally shot by some fool with a light on his gun who gets startled.

Yes, I know, you're all way too skilled at weapons handling to ever let something like that happen to you. That is what everyone thinks and is also why people get accidentally killed every year.

Rick
08-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Geeze there Lucznik. Take a pill or something. Have a seat and calm down. I, for one, agree with you.

hunter63
08-28-2009, 02:16 PM
I hadn't given it much though till saw this thread.

So, as I don't have any mounted on anything, I should just keep my mouth shut.
BUT, I don't think that they would be a help on much of any thing I can think of..........

So, what are y'all reasons for having them?

I get having a flash light for going to the hooter in the middle of the nite, but I would be afraid of just putting holes in stuff, that really didn't deserve it.

As I don't expect to be in any tactical situations, unless the were defensive, any time soon, I guess I would be the one laying in the dark, waiting for anyone willing to give away their position.

Nite vision for one of the EBR's would be a consideration, but then again, pretty pricey.

Any light with any firearm, even Red dot and lasers is a strict no-no in Wisconsin.

So, I guess if I need to carry one to see what it was "bumping in the nite", I would perfer my Mag light, in the left handed "police carry", away from center mass.
I might be missing something, so carry on.......

They look cool, though.

crashdive123
08-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Tactical lights are fine for Law Enforcement, Military, etc. who purposely engage in actual tactical events against real bad guys.

I do not like them on civilian weapons. Their use absolutely requires the violation of one of the most important rules of gun safety:

Flame on if you like, but I can just see some teenager trying to sneak back in the home after a late-night party only to be accidentally shot by some fool with a light on his gun who gets startled.

Yes, I know, you're all way too skilled at weapons handling to ever let something like that happen to you. That is what everyone thinks and is also why people get accidentally killed every year.

I have no children. The only other soul authorized to be in my home at night without prior approval is my wife. My wife sleeps to my left, while my hadgun with attached tactical light sleeps to my right. In the event of trouble (we have a plan that we have practiced) my wife (on my left) knows what to do. I then wake up the companion on my right. And yes, I will destroy (wouldn't have been my choice of words, but they work) any unauthorized intruder in my home at night.

While I may not be as skilled with weapons as many of the other forum members, I can assure you that this area of tactics is something that I am familiar with and confident in. I would agree with you in saying this - if you are not comfortable, confident or possess enough skill - leave the firearm where you feel most comfortable.

Sourdough
08-28-2009, 02:57 PM

WELL, Try to think how nice it would be on my next midnight Grizzly encounter on the way to the outhouse, or when there are predators in the poultry barn in the dark of night. Any teenager trying to sneak in my door will get shot, because the nearest teenager lives 14 miles away, and is sneaking in to steal to support their drug/booze addiction.

As to "DO not point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy" I live on the edge of nowhere in Alaska in the heart of one of the largest bear concentrations in the world.

Please explain how it is so much safer to have a flashlight in the left hand, and the firearm in the right hand, why is that safe than one flashlight-firearm unit????

And yes I strongly suggest you not cut a THUNDERING FART in the dark outside MY CABIN, as I do not evaluate the nature of the danger, before pointing my firearm. I will point my firearm at the danger first, and then evaluate the problem. This is standard procedure for those who live with things that will eat you, be night or day.

This method has worked well for me through 37 years as a Professional Hunter. I suggest you keep you Big City theories in the Big City....and don't be telling this Cowboy about GUN SAFETY.......How you like them Apples. Sir??

Pal334
08-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Hope: You have my unsolicited agreement. Out where you are the "rules of engagement" are totaly different. I had similar thoughts as Lucznik, however reading yours posts and others in similar circumstances, mounted lights now it seems to be a no brainer.
In "civilization" (or what passes for it in New Jersey) the jury is still out for me.

justinjedlawton
08-28-2009, 04:32 PM

while it is Extremely unfortunate that innocent people lose their lives to guns AND not so innocent people. In this time,there is danger any were you go. It used to be that only the people in the inner city experienced life or death crime. Now its a different story in our beautiful country we have illegal drug labs in suburban homes { not just iner city or urban any more} you will with out a doubt have somebody somewere very willing to kill you for what ever might be in your pocket 5$ 1$ 1mill$ either way you look at it soner or later you will want or wish you had, had the opportunity to "destroy" some one {UNFORTUNATELY}
such is the case in our "modern" time. it is either your life or his. Living in the country or a secluded area a you may feel Protected from this but it is only a mater of time until " it" meets up with you whether you are ready for "it" or not. now this being said, from personal experience a stong light can be what changes the situation for you from needing to "destroy" I have been lucky for the few times that i have had to pull a gun the disorientation of the light itself has givin the person a second chance to think about the situation b4 making a bad mistake ther for eliminating the need to "destroy"

dont takt this as a neg. please message i only wish to show you another view

Rick
08-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately, it's the same view just a different country.

I still agree with Lucznik. It's not right for me. While it's not likely, one of my kids could walk in my home unannounced after bed time. They all have a key. While it may not be appropriate for the situation I will evaluate first. I want it that way, though. It's my kids' home, too. It's where they grew up and they are always welcome in it. Any weapons package you put together is going to be right for someone and completely wrong for someone else.

Sourdough
08-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately, it's the same view just a different country.

I still agree with Lucznik. It's not right for me. While it's not likely, one of my kids could walk in my home unannounced after bed time. They all have a key. While it may not be appropriate for the situation I will evaluate first. I want it that way, though. It's my kids' home, too. It's where they grew up and they are always welcome in it. Any weapons package you put together is going to be right for someone and completely wrong for someone else.

Tell me what is different if the light and firearm are in one hand.......as'opposed to light in one hand & firearm in the other.....????? It still comes down to target identification, NEED to fire decision......it is not about how many hands you use, It IS about decision making. NOTE: proper procedure is your finger is not on the trigger till decision to fire. Until the decision to fire is made all you have is a flashlight in use, and a firearm in standby for use.

Rick
08-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, that's just it. I don't need the light. There is no room in my house that dark. The mutt sleeps in our room and does a good job (too damned good) of letting us know something is about. For me it's just wait for them to come to poppa. I won't go lookin' for them.

We have security lights outside.

lucznik
08-30-2009, 01:59 AM
WELL, Try to think how nice it would be on my next midnight Grizzly encounter on the way to the outhouse, or when there are predators in the poultry barn in the dark of night. Any teenager trying to sneak in my door will get shot, because the nearest teenager lives 14 miles away, and is sneaking in to steal to support their drug/booze addiction.

As to "DO not point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy" I live on the edge of nowhere in Alaska in the heart of one of the largest bear concentrations in the world.

Please explain how it is so much safer to have a flashlight in the left hand, and the firearm in the right hand, why is that safe than one flashlight-firearm unit????

And yes I strongly suggest you not cut a THUNDERING FART in the dark outside MY CABIN, as I do not evaluate the nature of the danger, before pointing my firearm. I will point my firearm at the danger first, and then evaluate the problem. This is standard procedure for those who live with things that will eat you, be night or day.

This method has worked well for me through 37 years as a Professional Hunter. I suggest you keep you Big City theories in the Big City....and don't be telling this Cowboy about GUN SAFETY.......How you like them Apples. Sir??

Wow, and people think I am high strung.

To begin with, I live in Wyoming, the LEAST populated State in the Union - even Alaska. So, your little cabin would likely prove quite metropolitan to this cowboy. We too have a very large population of bears (black and grizzly) and wolves and other dangers so, please don't try to impress me with your, "this is standard procedure for those who live with things that will eat you..." drivel. It's just not that cool.

Then there is the fact that in every State and Territory in the Union (even the all-glorious Alaska) it is illegal to point a gun (loaded or otherwise) at another person. That alone is enough reason to keep your gun and your light seperate. With a light in your left hand and a gun in your right, shining the light to evaluate a potential threat is perfectly O.K. If however, your gun and light are together, you have to break the law, and the rules of gun safety, and common sense, in order to do the same. That's just plain dangerous - for you and for everybody else.

Now, we don't live anywhere near each other so there is no chance of there ever being a problem between me and you but, hypothetically speaking, if you were to ever point your light-mounted weapon at me (and assuming a gunfight did not ensue in which at least one of us would get killed since I would most assuredly fear for my life and move to defend myself) I most definitely would press charges which would likely result in you losing possession of your weapons for the rest of your life.

I suppose you could still work as a "professional hunter" with no weapons - though I'm not sure how.

justinjedlawton
08-31-2009, 01:52 AM
Well all i can say is that family and personal saffty should be number one. they are coming with guns wether you are ready for it or not. If you go thru life never being attacked well praise God. Simply being in the "least pop state" or locatoin just might not be enoughe to help you {hope it does} but the crimanals are looking for that "least pop" place also just remeber that lights on guns for pepole who have them usally work better ut if you dnt like them than keep your little ol flaslight and be happy.

by the way "just a different country" i was talking about the US

canid
08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
i have a light and a laser sight for my rifle. i figure in the event of a home invasion, the LED beam will blind them to the fact that it's a little .22 carbine and the laser will let them know that the bullet is going wherever the red spot is resting.

hunter63
08-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Wow, some of y'all really get wound up when everyone doesn't agree with you.
Each to his own, my opinion is only mine.
I don't think I would use one, but I might change my mind.........

mcfd45
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
The way I see it if I had to go to the outhouse and run into five bears on the way in I would like to have something with a light on it. If you can scare the bear before you get there it won't be an issue. So I imagine a 85 lumen LED would do it for me. And to each his own, If it works for you it works for me.
Jeff

TangoFoxtrot
09-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I use a streamlight TRL-1 with discretion. These lights have their time and place.

glockcop
10-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I like the concept of having a light on your weapon but I also do not want to point my weapon at everything that needs illumination aka...kids and innocent people. There are times when you need only your flashlight panning around your environment and not the muzzle of your weapon. Remember the rule..."Do not point your muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy". If you have a weapon mounted light you should ALSO HAVE A SEPERATE FLASHLIGHT for the times deadly force is not the main objective. Nuff said.

Sourdough
10-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Nothing should be on my farm without invitation, unless "IT IS WELLING TO BE DESTROYED".............Nuff said.

glockcop
10-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Nothing should be on my farm without invitation, unless "IT IS WELLING TO BE DESTROYED".............Nuff said.

I am with you on that notion but does "Aggravated Assault" mean anything to you. Well it should. It MAY be different were you live but in Louisiana, and everywhere else, one cannot go around pointing a firearm at people when all you need a flashlight instead. Like I advised earlier, in Louisiana and everywhere else, you should have a seperate light for those times you cannot legally point your weapon at people. It is your descision. Makes no difference to me what you do. Good people go to jail every day for doing things that they legitamately did not know was illegal. I am just offering information for an intelligent choice. Best.

xj2000
11-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I have lights mounted to a few guns, but my favorite is the TLR3 i have mounted to my glock. flush with the barrel, and made of polymer so it's lightweight.

Batch
11-27-2009, 12:52 PM
In my opinion a using a flashlight should not also mean introducing lethal force into a situation that does not justify it. If you are law enforcement of military and are comfortable using a light mounted on your weapon. Then go for it. But, for most people it is a bad idea. IMHO

Something similar to using a rifle scope for primary optics for "looking" at stuff.

Lights are important for illuminating the threat. But, they also make you a target. Bullets go toward the threat and in a high adrenal moment it is the weapon or the light that will be targeted. That's why a lot of people advocate a thumb activated flashlight in the off hand. Using momentary flashes to illuminate the area. The light held high and to the outside.

Another "seems cool" at first tool is the Gunting knife Bramm Frank created that was popular awhile back. It was a knife designed as an impact weapon/ pressure point tool. So that you could use non-lethal forc with escalation to lethal force being an easy option. The problem is that if I whack you on your bean with the spine of a knife I have still introduced a lethal weapon into the situation and escalated the opposition to justifiable use of lethal force.

You shine me with you flashlight with a trigger (assuming I can tell its a gun of course) and I have a justifiable right to respond. I understand some have situations where they may be very remote. But, are you justifiable to shoot someone who may just be lost? Leveling a gun at someone is deadly serious business that could cost you your freedom or life. Win, lose or draw on the gun fight...

Old GI
11-27-2009, 01:08 PM
I hadn't given it much though till saw this thread.

So, as I don't have any mounted on anything, I should just keep my mouth shut.
BUT, I don't think that they would be a help on much of any thing I can think of..........

So, what are y'all reasons for having them?

I get having a flash light for going to the hooter in the middle of the nite, but I would be afraid of just putting holes in stuff, that really didn't deserve it.

As I don't expect to be in any tactical situations, unless the were defensive, any time soon, I guess I would be the one laying in the dark, waiting for anyone willing to give away their position.

Nite vision for one of the EBR's would be a consideration, but then again, pretty pricey.

Any light with any firearm, even Red dot and lasers is a strict no-no in Wisconsin.

So, I guess if I need to carry one to see what it was "bumping in the nite", I would perfer my Mag light, in the left handed "police carry", away from center mass.
I might be missing something, so carry on.......

They look cool, though.

I'm not a "Been There, Done That", professional, tactical shooter, but I have wondered for some time (since my days of shooting rats at the town dump with a flashlight taped to my shotgun or other), is there a concern about giving away your exact position in a tactical/HD scenario? Hence the reference to "police carry"?

Bladen
11-27-2009, 02:05 PM
i just use a mini mag light.
adjustable beem, bright as all get out, fits the mounts perfect, and only like 9 bucks.

Sourdough
11-27-2009, 02:10 PM
You shine me with you flashlight with a trigger (assuming I can tell its a gun of course) and I have a justifiable right to respond. I understand some have situations where they may be very remote. But, are you justifiable to shoot someone who may just be lost? Leveling a gun at someone is deadly serious business that could cost you your freedom or life. Win, lose or draw on the gun fight...

What some CALL: "I Just might be LOST" ........... We CALL: "CLAIM-JUMPING, Thieves, rustler, dry gulching, lowlife, trespassing, Targets who want to become Bear bait". Suggest anyone predisposed to "Being Lost" avoid Alaska GOLD mining towns. NOTE: There are only eleven people in this town, you are either a neighbor, or DINNER.

Batch
11-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Fair enough. Definitely outside of my experiences.

Down here we have bear but, they tend to boogie when they see you.

We got a lot more bad guys than bears and that is what I design my personal defense practices around. :)

Sourdough
11-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Fair enough. Definitely outside of my experiences.

Down here we have bear but, they tend to boogie when they see you.

We got a lot more bad guys than bears and that is what I design my personal defense practices around. :)

I am so happy I do NOT live there. When I was in New Zealand, they gave free ammo to anyone who would use the ammo to shoot varmints, and some varmints had a bounty.............(Just an Idea):)

mcfd45
11-30-2009, 11:38 PM
What some CALL: "I Just might be LOST" ........... We CALL: "CLAIM-JUMPING, Thieves, rustler, dry gulching, lowlife, trespassing, Targets who want to become Bear bait". Suggest anyone predisposed to "Being Lost" avoid Alaska GOLD mining towns. NOTE: There are only eleven people in this town, you are either a neighbor, or DINNER.

In MI we have castle law. If you are on my land or in my house I have the right to defend myself. And you being on my property without invite is considered ok to defend yourself. Just saying.

Batch
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
We have no duty to retreat anymore here in Florida. Folks talk a good game. But, every trespasser don't need killing.

My dad has three times been in a firearm drawn situation where he let the guy go. Never even letting them know he was armed. In one situation the BG had a gun to my neighbor and was kicking and beating him.

I have been in four gun "fights" 3 I puckered up and hated the fact that I was not armed. Actually, I just puckered up and hoped my *** got to live to tell about this. The other, I am grateful to have missed my target. Though I think he got my point. All, of these were a result of bad decisions on my part.

You are always a precursor to a tragedy.

Rick
12-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Being on my land is one thing. Being in my house something quite different. I have never drawn a weapon. I don't think they are talk toys. To me, if you draw it then it's time to use it.

Arkansas_Ranger
12-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I am a HUGE fan of the Streamlight TLR-1 tac light for handguns, and having cleared numerous dark buildings with and without the aid of a tac light I can say having one is so much greater.

BUT if you use one don't leave it turned on during your entire search. It makes too good of a target for your assailant to shoot at. I'm sure everyone here knows that though.