PDA

View Full Version : What if you Bugged'Out....& the next day, really wanted to DIE.

Sourdough
08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
What if the rigor of bugging'out left you so sore that you could not move.....? What if your whole body was wracked with pain, because you were not accustomed to hard manual labor. What if you could not move, and death looked sweet. I did 13 hours of hard manual labor yesterday, my normal work load would be 4 honest hours of manual labor per day, this would take 6 to 8 hours to perform, but the net work done is what I could do at age 19 in 4 hours. To say I am sore today is an understatement. Are you in shape to survive, I thought I was.....:) Is there a pill that one could take to kill the soreness and pain, so as to keep on buggin'out.......but said pill would not deaden the alertness.........?

laughingbeetle
08-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Aleve (naproxen sodium) works wonders.

doug1980
08-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I think that would be something that your body and mind would either get used to or it won't. When I got a job logging I thought I was in good shape, at 19 I was "invinsible" well the first month kicked my butt. But as time went by my body became used to the stesses and it got more tolerable. So to answer your question or statement. Yes you may want to die but then your "will to survive" kicks in and if you are mentally strong enough to tough it out it will get easier.

doug1980
08-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I heard somewhere, by someone who is much smarter than me, that our bodies are capable of much more than our brain tells us it is. In our minds we limit our true potential so when we think we can't go on we really can. It's all about mental toughness.

crashdive123
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
While some anti-inflams and OTC pain pills may take the edge off, pain is pain. Although I remember what I could do when I was 19, I have no illusions about being able to duplicate it now. I think I would be able to hold my own, but I (we) have to know our limitations. Sure, in stressful situations (or downright stubborness, which is sometimes the case) we can push ourselves further. Knowing our limitations is all part of surviving. Going beyond those limitations repeatedly is kind of like tempting fate.

Or - you could go by the old adage - "Pain is nothing but weakness leaving the body".

2dumb2kwit
08-05-2009, 04:52 PM
And don't forget....the older we get, the longer it takes us to recover!:innocent:

LOL, sorry.....I don't guess that's helping....hang in there, Hope! :)

SARKY
08-05-2009, 06:54 PM
That is why as we get older we (are supposed to) work smarter!

crashdive123
08-05-2009, 06:57 PM
That is why as we get older we (are supposed to) work smarter!

I would modify that just a little. That is how we get older........

oly
08-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I suffer from OMS (old man sh!t), asprin is my freind.

Pal334
08-05-2009, 07:24 PM
As one of my favorite 1st Sgts once said "suck it up and take tylenol". On a more serious note. Work it through, our bodies are more capable than we think, no matter the fitness level. Unless you break or strain something, it will eventually catch up. won't be pleasant or fun. It is what I think they call "work hardening".

pocomoonskyeyes
08-05-2009, 07:35 PM
A word of caution about those OTC meds(NSAIDS) like aleve and naprocin, some people(like me) are sensitive to them and cannot take them as it can(in my case)cause internal bleeding. Therefore being worse than what you are trying to treat.(the reason Tylenol is still #1 doc's recomendation) I sure hope you get feeling better soon.

SARKY
08-05-2009, 08:35 PM
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger......and tireder! So you can sleep better!

Magpie
08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
But don't forget the liver damaging effects of tylenol. Of course you have to take a lot of it (there's a 4 gram daily maximum) but if you're in a lot of pain don't just assume the more tylenol you take the better you will feel, it doesn't work that way and you will most likely not feel the ill effects of liver failure until it is too late. Of course all medicines have their good and bad side, but for the most part (unless you have some sort of physiological condition or reaction like Pocomoon) NSAIDS are much safer in higher doses.

Rick
08-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Huge difference between running for your life and doing a job. Adrenaline would be a real motivator and hide the pain for as long as you were running on it.

As for doing what I did at 19. I sure can. I can still watch a good days work and enjoy it.

Ole WV Coot
08-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I still try to do 4hrs decent work a day. Just to see if I can I still put hooks on and climb some, split wood, cut grass, very hilly naturally with a push mower and I get a good workout mudding & running the tougher parts on an ATV(only turned it over twice). Now if I don't do anything much for a few days every joint hurts. I don't take anything just slowly work it out and it hurts for a couple of days but it beats rust. I have the usual arthritis, sore joints and can't go the way I did a few yrs ago but I can still hold my own. First hour is tough, but gets better.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-05-2009, 10:16 PM
what if every thing that you had that represented you as a person no longer existed? what if you experienced a psycological collapse and nothing mattered any more? no friends , no possesions, no familiar places, wet, cold, and no where to go?what if the only things you had were things that you cant have? would you consider that as "bugging out"? what if every thing you have ever known was taken from you? left with only your shirt and a pair of torn pants? what if you were in your elder years? with nothing?

Ken
08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
what if every thing that you had that represented you as a person no longer existed? what if you experienced a psycological collapse and nothing mattered any more? no friends , no possesions, no familiar places, wet, cold, and no where to go?what if the only things you had were things that you cant have? would you consider that as "bugging out"?

Trust me. You'll survive and be stronger for it.

crashdive123
08-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Hang in ther Gene.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-05-2009, 10:23 PM
thanks to friends, yes there is hopes of something more to do.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I have never fought in a war, i have heard of post traumatic stress, i have learned how to survive in the wilderness. faced with the reality of it all.... i wasnt prepared.

hoosierarcher
08-06-2009, 12:19 AM
After intense physical exersion in a situation without drugs, first immerse your whole body in an ice bath for 5 minutes. Then soak in a very hot bath for 20. Then get a willing helper to massage you. Then sleep 4 - 6 hours get up and stretch for 15 minutes and drink a pint of water, then sleep 4 - 6 more.

hoosierarcher
08-06-2009, 12:23 AM
I heard somewhere, by someone who is much smarter than me, that our bodies are capable of much more than our brain tells us it is. In our minds we limit our true potential so when we think we can't go on we really can. It's all about mental toughness.
The surest proof of this is that almost everyone says "OW!" before it actually hurts.
I'm not usually one of these, that is why my exwife knew that if I complained about pain it was really pain.

Sourdough
08-06-2009, 12:34 AM
After intense physical exersion in a situation without drugs, first immerse your whole body in an ice bath for 5 minutes. Then soak in a very hot bath for 20. Then get a willing helper to massage you. Then sleep 4 - 6 hours get up and stretch for 15 minutes and drink a pint of water, then sleep 4 - 6 more.

HOT Water......????? I bathe in a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan of warm water.....?

Ken
08-06-2009, 12:46 AM

Time to part with a few bucks and take a vacation, Hope?

http://www.sybaris.com/modules/main/default.aspx

Sourdough
08-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Time to part with a few bucks and take a vacation, Hope?

http://www.sybaris.com/modules/main/default.aspx

Ken, that was CRUEL...........

Ken
08-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Ken, that was CRUEL...........

Just go for it, Hope. I'm sure you'll get "lucky."

pocomoonskyeyes
08-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Not only cruel but MEAN!!!

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-06-2009, 09:45 AM

have you ever seen that movie called the Band of Brothers? rember the Guy shaving with a canteen cup full of ice water? wow try that!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I may be a bit younger than most of you but here is my take on it I frequently push harder than I should and get sore and exhausted. I may take an asparin but more often I will take amino acids or some other muscle fuel. I figure the next time I will go just a wee bit further or harder. Seems to work for me then I have always done hard work. It is the hard brain work that kickks my butt, mental stress is the worst!

Rick
08-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I bathe in a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan of warm water.....

Okay, then. We may have just solved the lady problem. Well.....that and the lack of an outhouse door......just sayin'.

hoosierarcher
08-06-2009, 08:38 PM
have you ever seen that movie called the Band of Brothers? rember the Guy shaving with a canteen cup full of ice water? wow try that!

I've done it. I've also dry shaved in the desert. ain't fun but it gets it done.