PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Huntin' Guns

glockcop
08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I just read another poster's search for the perfect knife and it made me remember a similar event. First off I have more than I could ever need (if that is possible) in the hunting gun department. With all these expensive toys at my disposal I still take the simple is better approach. For me, where I hunt, the modest Marlin 30-30 gets almost all of my whitetail and hog field time. I now after years of experimenting know that it is the perfect gun for the area and style I hunt. After being beat to death with the newest wizbang ultra super duper magnums I realized that this a$$ wuppin was taking the fun out of hunting. Every time I was about to pull the trigger on one of my expensive smokers I cringed at the thought of the wuppin' commin'. I shot them well and have never had a problem with flinching but I don't like the idea of my rifle kicking my brains loose. It is just simply not necessary. Through my experiments with the big kickers I still used my 30-30 intermitantly and enjoyed those hunts much more. Nowadays a 30-06 is as big as I go only when I hunt my cousins property which is open fields with patches of woods throughout. Even in this open area most of my shots are 150 yrds and less but the 30-06 comes with me on that particular property just in case one of those 250-300 yrd shots come about. Long live the 30-30 and 30-06. There is VERY little they can't do. On my hunting property my old friend the 30-30 will be there on opening day to admirably serve with little fuss. Thanks for listening to my rambles. Happy huntin' ya'll.

SARKY
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey with all the toys I have, my favorites and the ones i've taken the most game with are my .41 mag Ruger Bisley, My Ruger .44 carbine, My TC .50 cal White Moutain Carbine, and my TCR in .308. The rest work just fine it's just that these are the most comfortable to me.

glockcop
08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey with all the toys I have, my favorites and the ones i've taken the most game with are my .41 mag Ruger Bisley, My Ruger .44 carbine, My TC .50 cal White Moutain Carbine, and my TCR in .308. The rest work just fine it's just that these are the most comfortable to me.

Sarky, great minds thinks alike.:)

2dumb2kwit
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I just recently got interested in guns. (The last year, or so.) I hunted when I was growing up, but it was always with an old pump shotgun. The area that I hunted, was like you talked about. That old shotgun was all I needed. It did whatever I needed....just had to use the right shells. (From birdshot to buckshot.)

I guess that's why there is always a Rem 870 near my bed. LOL It's what I'm most comfortable with.

SARKY
08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I was never really a shotgunner until I joined the Navy and they issued us mossy 500s with buckshot for security duty (protecting our own aircraft) on the tarmac. Any shotgunning I did was with an o/u for upland game. There are some firearms that I am very comfortable with while others well.....they still function so that's something.
Likes: mini-14, 10-22, M-1 carbine, M1A, HK-91, AK47, P-90, all shotguns, most handguns
dislikes: SKS, AR-15

hunter63
08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Funny as this sounds, my latest favorite is a H&R Handi rifle in .270.
Short, light, and has ballistics similar to the 7mm Mag, I mostly shoot.

Short barrel work great out the window of the "Louisiana Box Blind".

glockcop
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Funny as this sounds, my latest favorite is a H&R Handi rifle in .270.
Short, light, and has ballistics similar to the 7mm Mag, I mostly shoot.

Short barrel work great out the window of the "Louisiana Box Blind".

"Simple" is the way to go . Most of the guys down here that use the "Louisiana Box Blind" use a .22 mag at night with a Q-beam. The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries really look down on these blinds....with a helecopter.:tongue_smilie:

doug1980
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Guess for me it depends on what I'm hunting and where I'm hunting. Indiana you can't use a rifle for deer and in many cases it would be useless to do so. So for that I use my 12 guage shotgun. Up here in Alaska I would use a 30-06 or my 300 win mag for moose. So I can't just pick one gun to use.

hunter63
08-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Guess for me it depends on what I'm hunting and where I'm hunting. Indiana you can't use a rifle for deer and in many cases it would be useless to do so. So for that I use my 12 guage shotgun. Up here in Alaska I would use a 30-06 or my 300 win mag for moose. So I can't just pick one gun to use.

The nice part of a Handi Rifle is that you can change barrels, so if I was gonna hunt in your state, I would just take off the .270, and add the 20ga. rifled Bull barrel.
Maybe I'll do a thread on this gun.

For those that don't know this is what I call a "Louisana Box blind", SIL style.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/gztheofficecrop.jpg

crashdive123
08-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Around here I call that an oven.:lol::lol::lol:

hunter63
08-05-2009, 08:39 PM
In Wisconsin, in november, it's the Hilton (even got a heater).

rebel_chick
08-05-2009, 08:52 PM
But does it have a/c?

Rick
08-05-2009, 08:55 PM
When I was a kid I hunted with a single shot, 12 guage, Nitro Hunter. It was like getting hit with a ball bat. I still have that weapon. It's still functional for anyone foolish enough to shoot it. I graduated to a Browning 12 guage auto (wish I still had that!) years later. My single shot 12 guage was my bread winner for many a year. It's taken a lot of rabbits and squirrels and his fair share of dove.

OICU812
08-05-2009, 09:15 PM
There is one rifle that I own that I truly love and it's a 1951 Winchester 30/30 that has never let me down but I do also like my bolt action's whether .22 or .270 and the .308 would be as big as I need if my little thumper comes up s
h
o
r
t!

SARKY
08-05-2009, 09:52 PM
That is the tallest outhouse I think i've ever seen!

glockcop
08-05-2009, 09:58 PM
The nice part of a Handi Rifle is that you can change barrels, so if I was gonna hunt in your state, I would just take off the .270, and add the 20ga. rifled Bull barrel.
Maybe I'll do a thread on this gun.

For those that don't know this is what I call a "Louisana Box blind", SIL style.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/gztheofficecrop.jpg

Hunter63, In Louisiana what you refere to as a "Louisiana box blind" we call shooting from a truck window at night aka poaching. That term has been around here for years. No wonder you did not "get" my joke in my previous post about the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries. That box blind looks pretty cramped. I guess that is a good thing when it is "As cold as an alligator's a$$ in January". That is just about "As cold as my proctologist's fingers". O.K. enough corny sayings. Really though that blind kind of looks like a Porta Potty. You know, the portable crap houses you see on every corner on a Mardi Gras parade route. Is that what that thing really is? It wouldn't be a bad idea really. I'd have to get a brand new one though. I wonder if the company that makes those things found a new corner of the market to fill. Just thinking.

Ole WV Coot
08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
My part of the country the old 30-30 will drop anything we have and the longest shot would be 50yds. This heavy stuff amazes me but more men carry them every year. I do remember reading that the early meat hunters thought the 30-30 was way too much gun and it's enough for me. Yes, I do have the "toys" that I don't hunt with but just had to have, why I don't know.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Depending on where I am hunting I have 2 fav. guns for deer. Nothing against 30-30 just do not have one to play with. I use .270 150 grain corelock for deer and hog in open fields and for woods stands I switch up with 870 the 3.5" OOO and my rifled slug barrell 3" .500 saboted slugs and iron sights. I also have a scope for the 870 but prefer the iron sights. This is an extremely accurate setup I can match the scoped .270 with the slugs and iron sights at 100 yds.

hunter63
08-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Glock, I will start a thread on the building, and yeah I hear you on the "moonlighting" (that's what we call it).

Anyway, I got the idea, from my SIL who lives up near Shreveport,.
We have been hunting there for a few years, and it does get cold, but not for long.

The one's that his Papaw built had a painted over sign on them, the said Property of the Baton Rouge sanitary district.

A short barrelled rifle makes it easier to "change windows".
The Handi Rifle is ideal, but I am working on sighting in and shooting Reminton Model 600, in .35 rem, about the same length as the Handi.

SARKY
08-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Check out the new lever evolution ammo. Wait a minute, are you hunting mulies in CA.? If you are I believe it has to be lead free ammo which means one of the Barnes loadings.

Badawg
08-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Check out the new lever evolution ammo. Wait a minute, are you hunting mulies in CA.? If you are I believe it has to be lead free ammo which means one of the Barnes loadings.

Well, Thgat's the thing, I haven't yet, but I am getting this job on the mountain and that is what I saw up there. Surprised me too as I must be at the end of their range. I do have a couple of boxes of Norma but Would like to have more on hand.

Pal334
08-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, Thgat's the thing, I haven't yet, but I am getting this job on the mountain and that is what I saw up there. Surprised me too as I must be at the end of their range. I do have a couple of boxes of Norma but Would like to have more on hand.

Good for ya, glad that job came through, makes me jealous in a good sort of way

crashdive123
08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Congrats Badawg!