PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Advice

vthompson
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I have been doing some reading about these Rendezvous that they have for people in the Black Powder circle. It is a week long or perhaps weekend long event filled with Blackpowder shooting, Tomahawk Throwing, Knife Throwing and making fire with flint & steel. All of this in a timed contest.
I have been throwing my Tomahawk & Knife for a while, and I have gotten pretty good at making fire with flint & steel. Here is where I need your help. Could you guy's point me in the right direction to buying a percussion muzzle loading pistol? I need one that will shoot good in a contest and retain its accuracy when being shot. I have looked at Dixie Gun Works and they don't have a lot to offer. I was hoping that some of you guy's could point me in the right direction. Thank you for your help,

vthompson

SARKY
08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
First off, a lot of the Rendezvous guys are firearm action snobs. What I mean by that (learning first hand) is that the prefered action at these events is a flintlock not a percussion. That being said, check out Thompson Center and or Cabella's

vthompson
08-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I didn't know that about the pistols. Thank you for the tip.

crashdive123
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
VT - FVR and Beowulf have attended them and could probably give you some insight. Beo hasn't been on in a while (recovering from getting shot in the arse.....er I mean hip).

vthompson
08-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Thank's crash, I will try to get in touch with them.

gryffynklm
08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I purchased my Charleville 1777 musket from these guys. THe prices are good and I am quite pleased with the quality. After you read the disclaimers and such you will notice that they are not sending you a fireable weapon. (I will explain)

They ship the guns without the touch hole drilled. This saves a boat load of paperwork and licensing crap as well as cost. The fire ability of my musket is solid. I am about 75% firing at a paper plate target at 30 yards. Thats smoothbore sighting down the barrel with a crude site at the muzzle.

I drilled the touch hole myself. I did some work on the lock to smooth out the action. The frizen needed to be hardened a bit more then it was. I also completely disassembled the gun and gave all the metal a liberal coating of paste wax (simonize) it helps keep the rust down on hidden parts. I am quite pleased with my purchase and would consider another gun.

http://www.militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm

Here are other links that friends have recommended.

Track of the wolf
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(gqf1pq45cses45nolfzrtt55))/Index.aspx

Dixie Gun Works is also recommended by friends.

There some good events out by you, at least one near Huntington.

Ole WV Coot
08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
A man last name Nixon, think Tom might be his first name and lives around Huntington, I'm sure black powder shooters know him. Anyway he makes or made black powder weapons up to collector grade. If he still makes them give someone that shoots matches a call and see if he has any for sale. I have seen some of his work and their accuracy.

oldsoldier
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
First off, a lot of the Rendezvous guys are firearm action snobs. What I mean by that (learning first hand) is that the prefered action at these events is a flintlock not a percussion. That being said, check out Thompson Center and or Cabella's

Sarky is somewhat correct I've been to rendevous that allow both as well as "flint only" events But sarky gave you some good advice you may also want to check out traditions as well as CVA conneticut valley arms. They make cheaper in some cases more modern weapons but have a fair selection. You may also want to look at www.gandermountian.com

Rick
08-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Here is an example of Tom Nixon's work:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24_51&products_id=14782&osCsid=63fd1b804c9966d9d1c0adccd8ab3734

vthompson
08-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I want to thank all of you that have replied for the information that you have given me. I really appreciate it.

Ole WV Coot
08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Here is an example of Tom Nixon's work:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24_51&products_id=14782&osCsid=63fd1b804c9966d9d1c0adccd8ab3734

In '94 I had a man I worked with had 4 custom jobs Nixon made for him. I saw them and had him talked into making me a 36 cal carved walnut with brass furniture. He wanted $700 to make it, when he felt like it. I made the mistake of offering $600, never spoke just walked off. Makes me so mad I could crush a grape:sneaky2:One of us is a little strange:innocent:

rebel_chick
08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
My gun dealer has a .44 black powder pistol for $150. Too bad you aren't closer. We just aquired a .50 Cal. We went out shooting the other day and it was SO accurate. I was impressed. It is not a fast gun to load, but way accurate.

gryffynklm
08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Here is an interesting thought. There are several pawn shops in my area and they all have some black powder weapons. I've never looked close so I don't know about condition or price. You might just find something at your local pawn shop. Just thought I'd toss that out there.

vthompson
08-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Here is an interesting thought. There are several pawn shops in my area and they all have some black powder weapons. I've never looked close so I don't know about condition or price. You might just find something at your local pawn shop. Just thought I'd toss that out there.

I never gave pawn shop's a thought. Thank's for the idea.