PDA

View Full Version : First-Hand Survival Experiences?

zaebra
10-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Is there a thread here for people to share their first-hand survival experiences? If not, I'd love to hear stories about how people found themselves in unplanned and possibly life-threatening survival situations and how they overcame them. Most of my experience comes from simulations (i.e. camping or walkabouts when I was younger), but I'm curious to see what circumstances others have worked through.

Anyone care to share?

FVR
10-20-2007, 09:17 AM
All depends on what you consider survival situation.

I was walking down the street in San Diego one day, almost under the Coronado bridge. I noticed that about 4 blocks away were about 10 gang members and they had just noticed me.

I turned around and walked back where I came from, flagged a taxi and went on my way.

Then there was in Panama during a helocast, my partner and I jumped into the water only to see three sharks. Ah yeh, that was a scary one.

Then there was my first marriage.

Sarge47
10-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Well, like FVR there was my 1st marriage, then about 10,000 words that meant....whatever, from Vol West. Then there was the semi that crashed into my bus...think I prefer VW's rants to that.

HOP
10-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Dumped my canoe while canoeing a remote river , water proof matches saved the day big fire let me get back in the water for short peoiods to colect gear.

RobertRogers
10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
The "Death March" - we were doing a land survey in the Great Northwoods of Maine. Nearly 100-degrees F and a crew of 8 ran out of water up on a ridge. Didn't get out till dark after a 10-mile bushwack without a drop of water. Best time of my life.