PDA

View Full Version : leaf vs leaf

wareagle69
08-03-2009, 06:51 AM
can anyone here tell the difference between a dandelion leaf and a chicory leaf?
simple one the chicory rosette grows much bigger than the dandelion rosette. not enough ok look at the centre vein running down each of them you will notice the dandelion has a red vein down the middle and the chicory has a white vein running down the middle
it is always important to just sit and observe things sometimes haveing look alikes to study at the same time will really point out major differences between the two and will plant this firmly in your memory
happy harvesting
WE

gryffynklm
08-03-2009, 06:23 PM
WarEagle are you sure you mean Chicory? Chicory is a twiggy plant with blue flowers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/73/Chicory01.jpg/450px-Chicory01.jpg

Sorry, The young plants do look like dandelion. Good question, you got me googling.

This link says that chicory has a more bristly leaf. This is the onnly thing I have found. You have my curiosity, I'm going to keep looking. The root is a different shape. Chicory has a shorter but fatter root.

http://www.gardeningcd.com/HerbFrms/chicory.htm

Rick
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Karl,

The leaves actually look a lot like dandelion. In fact, it's easy to confuse the two. What you are looking at in the picture is actually the flower head. You may never even see the flower head on chicory because the flowers generally only last one day.

equus
08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
that is a really interesting question though.

gryffynklm
08-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Rick, I came to that realization and did some looking. I was updating my post but not fast enough.

wareagle69
08-03-2009, 07:26 PM
i was digging up some chicory roots yesterday, not what i expected, got them drying out now beside my chanterelles, but this is what got me thinking, telling the difference between the leaves so i pulled some dandelion for my rabbits and sat and looked at the two different leaves, then walked around the yard looking at all the rosettes got er down pat now, just thought i'd share what i learned

karl, glad i could pique your interest

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-03-2009, 09:29 PM
chickory is my favorite drink, the first year leaves are tasty,the flowers when crushed in water make a good body wash.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
like daucus carrota, the chickory plant has a 3 year life cycle, use parts in thier season, for coffee third year, to eat leaves use first year growth, reference this info in petersons field guide ISBN#0-395-31870-x

rwc1969
08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
How would one know what year they're in?

Rick
08-13-2009, 10:50 PM
There is an expiration date stamped on the stem.

catfish10101
08-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Just buy Community Coffee and Chickory!! The best in the world. AND DON'T MESS WIFF DA COFFEE!!!!! LOL.

wareagle69
08-14-2009, 07:42 AM
How would one know what year they're in?

the word perinneial means more than one year, so in the first year , the rossete pops up, i've already explained how to id this, second year the flowers appear, i don't know about the 3 year cycle of this