PDA

View Full Version : New, errr old, shotgun fixup

MCBushbaby
10-19-2007, 10:52 AM
I was visiting the folks last weekend and I decided to pick up my pop's old 20g shotgun that he hadn't used in over 20 years. It sat in the basement in its leather-covered, fluff cotton-interior through all the seasons. Just propped in a corner next to the wood pile. I knew the only thing wrong with it was some rust at the end of the barrel (I presume the gun was stored with some moisture lingering in the cotton fluff) but oh how wrong I was...

Aside from mm-deep pitting caused by rust along the first 1.5" of the barrel (luckily only one or two small pits inside), the entire chamber was greased up like it was going to be fried. Someone, probably not my father who only used the gun once, decided to over-oil the thing. I disassembled it completely, ran cleaning solution throughout the barrel and storage chamber, threw nearly a 1/8 can of WD-40 into the chamber to swab out the grease using a Q-Tip, and scrubbed the hell out of that tip. Although the brass sight is shining brightly once more, the tip looks butt ugly. It's strange in that only the tip, the very very end, was rusted. Everything else on the gun looks pristine (aside from the greased interior). So after about 3 hours of cleaning I got it into showroom shape.

Now here's the twist: It's an old Sears-Roebuck single barrel, pump-action 20 gauge shotgun with real wood pump and stock. Remember back in the days of mail-ordering your firearms? Yea, that kind of gun. Neat huh?

I guess the only thing I need help with is if any experienced firearm manufacturer or firearm enthusiast on the forums knows of what I can do to fix up the tip? The pitting isn't bad inside the barrel but it would be nice if there's a "wax on-wax off" approach using some epoxy or solvent.

FVR
10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
You could always have a gunsmith cut the barrel down past the pitting and rust and have a new brass bead site installed.

Sounds like a really nice gun. Was any of the wood in the stock oil rotted? I've seen this on old guns that were over oiled, and stored standing up.

Good Luck,

FVR

Sarge47
10-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Does it have the old "Damacus Twist" barrel?

Crash
10-26-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't want to offend, but WD-40 is the LAST thing you should ever use on metal that you want to keep clean. It's oil-based, which means it attracts and holds dust particles and dirt.

For a safe alternative, visit your local locksmith and ask to buy a can of Houdini. It's silicone-based and usually around $8 for the public. If you get to know the locksmith, he might sell it to you at cost which is around $3.50.

MCBushbaby
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
You could always have a gunsmith cut the barrel down past the pitting and rust and have a new brass bead site installed.

Sounds like a really nice gun. Was any of the wood in the stock oil rotted? I've seen this on old guns that were over oiled, and stored standing up.

Good Luck,

FVR

I was told cutting the barrel by the two to three inches required to remove all the pitting would increase the shot pattern radius, something I don't want to do. The wood was intact. nice and dry though I have no idea what kind it is.

Does it have the old "Damacus Twist" barrel?

Nope, not that old. Made in the mid 1970s I assume.

Sarge47
10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
I was told cutting the barrel by the two to three inches required to remove all the pitting would increase the shot pattern radius, something I don't want to do

Yep, you'll change you're "built-in choke". You can have the barrel threaded then put a "varible choke" on, but that's a lot of work.

MCBushbaby
10-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey hey! I just did an hour's worth of googling and I found the origional manufacturer:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_manufactured_a_Sears_583.2079_Model_21_and_whe re_can_you_find_a_manual_for_it

It's a "High Standard model 21 583.2079"
I'm currently trying to acquire the manual for it so wish me luck (disassembling it was much different than any other gun I've seen)

trax
10-26-2007, 04:49 PM
You can buy blueing, take a bit of steel wool to the pitting and just get out as much as you can. The blueing you just rub in with a soft cloth, it won't look new new, but it'll get close. Best I've got to offer. Ditto on the WD-40, I wouldn't use it on a gun.

FVR
10-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Why even worry about it, unless you will be shooting slugs out of it. With shot, there should be no pressure up at the end of the barrel.

It's an old gun, appreciate the oldness. Nothing worse than a precious old gun being modernized.

MCBushbaby
10-27-2007, 02:56 PM
That's the thing, I do plan to shoot slugs from it. Hunting season's coming up and I plan to get some venison this year!

FVR
10-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Suggest you get another gun if you're going to shoot slugs. Unless you take it to a gunsmith and have them cut the barrel back.

If it is going to be a slug gun, then the choke don't mean didly. Chances are that if it's as old as I think, you will only be able to shoot 2 3/4" shells out of it.

I would never shoot a slug out of a gun that had any damage to the end of the barrel. First off, that's where it is the thinest to begin with. If it's damaged, you may be asking for trouble.

Just my two cents.

MCBushbaby
10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Ok, thanks. I don't use guns at all so all the advice I can get is helpful. I plan to use it as a shot/slug dual-purpose gun out in the bush... you know... ducks when I see 'em, deer when they're close enough, etc. So a gunsmith cutting two inches off the barrel won't hurt the pattern too much then? Sweet.

trax
10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Make sure it's legal to cut it where you live, should be OK but double check. Your shot pattern will spread some, but that could just mean more ducks! I quit waterfowl hunting years ago and use a rifle for deer and moose, but a good slug gun will certainly be effective with deer.