PDA

View Full Version : Extreme cold and Firearms

Pal334
07-30-2009, 07:53 AM
I would like to pick the brains of some of our members that have and do deal with the extreme cold. For sake of discussion minus 20 degrees and colder. I have no experience discharging a firearm when it is that cold. I have been armed and outside for extended periods of time while in the military at wind chills of 20-30 degrees below, so am fairly familiar with cleaning and lubricant needs. To keep it simple so as not to get involved in lubricants, etc, lets assume the firearm is a plain jane bolt action with iron sights only.My question (s):

1) How does that type of cold effect / affect the metals of the weapon? Of special interest if you have to fire it.Should the rifle be kept wrapped or sheathed when no use is imminent?

2) the ammunition, is its performance noticably impacted by this type of cold? Also, should spares be kept "warm" (inside outer wear)?

3) If you are fortunate enough to have relatively warm shelter (cabin etc), should the rifle be kept inside, or kept at the ambient outdoor temperature?

I am certain that there are other issues that could be addressed, feel free to do so. Just want to "pick the brains" of those who "have been there and done that". Could help me and others avoid some serious mistakes.

glockcop
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM
This is a pretty good question thats got my brain going too now. I don't have alot of cold weather experience but I can tell you that primers get more finicky in extreme cold. Also POI can change noticeable due to differing chamber pressure. Ammo loaded and tested in cool weather that showed no signs of over pressure sure can get that way when it is fired in hot weather. I don't think the steels are in much danger unless were talking temps on Pluto. As far as wrapping a gun, it will become the same temp as the outside air in short order so that wont matter. Maybe our Northern Yankee brothers on the board can help on this one. Just poking fun guys :)

SARKY
07-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Having been stationed/homebased in Maine for 20 years, I've hunted in temp as low as -40 why is beyond me. I think the deer went to my house for hot chocolate while I was ot roaming the woods looking for them! Marco.......Marco......
The modern steels are just fine at these temps. Ammo is another story, I've had ammo sound like a pop gun when fired. The bullet cleared the barrel, but I can't guarantee that the bullet went very far. In general your point of aim will be lower than normal.

Rick
07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Extremely cold air is extremely dry air so I would think the trajectory at that temp would be much flatter.

KhonHd
07-30-2009, 11:03 AM
The only concern I would have (do have) is coming in from the cold and condensation forming on the firearm (result can be rust). But a quick wipe down and light application of oil takes care of that problem.

Sourdough
07-30-2009, 12:40 PM
The only concern I would have (do have) is coming in from the cold and condensation forming on the firearm (result can be rust). But a quick wipe down and light application of oil takes care of that problem.

What if you go back outside at -20* below.....? the inside (Firing pin & trigger) of the firearm the condensation will freeze. Do it twice in one day and you could have a lot of water/ice inside the action. This is why trappers, and outdoorsman would leave their rifle in the "Arctic-entry" or on a nail, under the eve just outside the door. I leave my winter walk'about firearm in a unheated shed.

Pal334
07-30-2009, 01:06 PM
What if you go back outside at -20* below.....? the inside (Firing pin & trigger) of the firearm the condensation will freeze. Do it twice in one day and you could have a lot of water/ice inside the action. This is why trappers, and outdoorsman would leave their rifle in the "Arctic-entry" or on a nail, under the eve just outside the door. I leave my winter walk'about firearm in a unheated shed.

How about the ammunition? Its performance, should spares be kept warm (well relatively)

Sourdough
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
How about the ammunition? Its performance, should spares be kept warm (well relatively)

Yes, there would be a drop in velocity, and burn rate, but you can't re sight it everyday, one day it is -31* the next it is +12 above or 37* above. I have seen it go from -55* Below to +46* in just over ONE Hour. I just don't worry about it, and have never heard of people holding higher on the first shot because of cold ammo. In truth the biggest problems are the cold, your bare fingers on steel, or having a "WINTER" trigger guard on the AR-15, so your thin inner glove fits in the trigger guard. Most guys hunt with a snow machine, and just leave the rifle in the "GUNBOOT" on the machine all winter. Another problem is breathing on the scope, or moisture from your eye fogging the scope.

Sourdough
07-30-2009, 03:01 PM
One of the things you want to do is clean any grease out of the bolt or any moving parts. We use Gasoline first, then boiling hot soapy water, dry, and then Mobil 1 engine oil or any synthetic oil, or diesel fuel oil, let drain over night, reassemble.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I would think that with a scoped rifle you would want to sight the gun in, at or near the range of temperature in which you plan to use the gun. Now I am not saying it should be exact but if your planning to hunt in -40 then I wouldn't set my sights in 90+. I would think a profound deviation would exist at 100+ yards.

Pal334
07-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes, there would be a drop in velocity, and burn rate, but you can't re sight it everyday, one day it is -31* the next it is +12 above or 37* above. I have seen it go from -55* Below to +46* in just over ONE Hour. I just don't worry about it, and have never heard of people holding higher on the first shot because of cold ammo. In truth the biggest problems are the cold, your bare fingers on steel, or having a "WINTER" trigger guard on the AR-15, so your thin inner glove fits in the trigger guard. Most guys hunt with a snow machine, and just leave the rifle in the "GUNBOOT" on the machine all winter. Another problem is breathing on the scope, or moisture from your eye fogging the scope.

I was thinking there would be some deviation because of the cold. Leaving the rifle exposed does seem reasonable, keeping acclimated. Guess you just hav to adapt as things are thrown at you. And WOW, those are some serious temperature variations. How realistic is it in my scenario to just have iron sights, for example in your area? Ranges, terrain , I feel fairly comfortable to 100 yds or so with them

SARKY
07-30-2009, 05:27 PM
If you have a MOA (Minute of Angle, that equates to 1 inch at 100 yards) rifle and it is sighted in at 100 yards, Your kill zone is a 5 to 8 inch circle on most big game. So hitting the kill zone shouldn't be a problem.

Sourdough
07-30-2009, 06:12 PM
How realistic is it in my scenario to just have iron sights, for example in your area? Ranges, terrain , I feel fairly comfortable to 100 yds or so with them

They work fine......I like the Lyman #48 and Lyman #57 receiver sights, myself.

FVR
07-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Can't tell ya about -20, but can tell ya about zero degree Ga. mountain cold and muzzleloaders.

At the end of the day, pull the ball, patch, powder and swab. Let air out and load the next morning.

Don't do what I did, take the shortcut. Just put the rifle (cap replaced with leather) next to you in the wool blankets and sleep.

Seems that the body heat will create moisture in the nipple area and when you get that shot at a nice spike at 20 yards, all you hear is the cap going off. Then when you are pulling the cap to put a little powder down there to ignite the powder, a monster 8 pt. buck walks up to within 5 feet of you and looks over your shoulder as you're working.

That SOB buck did not even run away, he just looked at me and walked away.

Long story short. Unload them thar muzzleloaders in the cold.

red lake
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I think the barrel of my 870 contracted to the point that the shells got stuck after discharge.

I had a heck of a time with it and sent it to Remington. They could find nothing wrong with it. They didn't test it at -30 C