PDA

View Full Version : Drought

Go_army2
10-18-2007, 07:40 PM
i live in the eastern usa and i guess we have a very very bad drought in here. i think its 14 inches of water or something like that some of the big citys have water resrtictions and all (the news said weve got water til march) . My father wants that to saving up in thouse one gallon bottles of water so if it ever comes in need we could have water.

My own opinnion is that the news reporters are making this a really big deal, i mean yes we should use water very carefully but i mean weve got water til march, i mean what are the chances that were going to be that much into a drought? i Dont know what do you think.

Is my dad just getting worked up on this deal?

Heres a picture of how bad were off.

(if you cant see the picture clearly heres an url: http://drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_state.htm?NC,SE )

wareagle69
10-18-2007, 08:40 PM
what have you lost by being prepared?

always be prepared

FVR
10-18-2007, 09:33 PM
We up here in North Ga are getting hit pretty hard. Lake Lanier is down 14', lake Allatoona is down over 15', local trout streams are dry, there is a complete water ban on residential uses.

I cleaned a stripper in South Atl yesterday and must have used a good 500 gal. of water. I was waiting for the water dep. to stop by but they never did. We are requ. by the EPD to keep these million dollar systems running.

Now, downstream of Lanier on the Chatahoochee river, looks great. Downstream of Allatoona on the Etowah also looks just fine. They say S. Ga water is good, just up North.

Water table in the first aquafer has dropped drastically. Monitoring wells that usually have water at 20' or less below ground surface are down in the 35 to 40 foot depth range. This takes a toll on the liquid ring pumps as when the water drops this far, you get drastic air pockets which lowers the inches of mercury and over heats the pump.

Since the water is down, the petroleum that has leaked into the ground and that has just been sitting there, is just flowing out into the wells. This is good, unless you have deep wells that reach into the second and third aquafer. This may cause cross contamination between aquafers.

Blah, blah, blah...................LOL.....I can go on but it'll get a bit more boring.

Go_army2
10-20-2007, 06:14 AM
lol but shoulld we take this stuff serously?

FVR
10-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Ahh, yeh.

It's just like preparing for hurricanes and tornado's. Stockpile what you may need and circulate it out.

I have a good 500 gal of water stored downstairs. Prepared it with bleach, don't think I would drink it but it would come in handy for cooking, washing, and yes drinking but I would boil it to get the taste a might bit better.

corndog-44
10-20-2007, 03:27 PM
We up here in North Ga are getting hit pretty hard. Lake Lanier is down 14', lake Allatoona is down over 15', local trout streams are dry, there is a complete water ban on residential uses.

I cleaned a stripper in South Atl yesterday and must have used a good 500 gal. of water. I was waiting for the water dep. to stop by but they never did. We are requ. by the EPD to keep these million dollar systems running.

Now, downstream of Lanier on the Chatahoochee river, looks great. Downstream of Allatoona on the Etowah also looks just fine. They say S. Ga water is good, just up North.

Water table in the first aquafer has dropped drastically. Monitoring wells that usually have water at 20' or less below ground surface are down in the 35 to 40 foot depth range. This takes a toll on the liquid ring pumps as when the water drops this far, you get drastic air pockets which lowers the inches of mercury and over heats the pump.

Since the water is down, the petroleum that has leaked into the ground and that has just been sitting there, is just flowing out into the wells. This is good, unless you have deep wells that reach into the second and third aquafer. This may cause cross contamination between aquafers.

Blah, blah, blah...................LOL.....I can go on but it'll get a bit more boring.

FVR, I saw a news report on tv last night about how bad it's getting down there. Did you get any of this rain that came through? We got our fair share of thunder storms and tornadoes here in Indiana.

I've been through some bad droughts while growing up on the farm. We had a hand dug well and I was the one who had to go down and dig it deeper and deeper. Three-four times I had to dig one summer and all we got was a trinkling of a sippage coming up. Droughts are a tough go and it can take years to get back to normal.

FVR
10-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Sorry to say that we only rec'd a little rain.

Hoping for a bit more soon.

WildGoth
10-20-2007, 09:57 PM
hey FVR are you alright i heard they declared state of emergency about the drought you going to be alright out there just worried for you good luck

Sarge47
10-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Pandemic, TEOTWAWKI, TSHTF, all these are things we worry about in order to prepare, yet sometimes it's just the elements. Hurricanes don't have to come in Katrina size to do damage, nor tornados, and let's not forget about the flooding Owl Girl was facing up North or the droughts now being faced by other members here. The real threats can be just that, weather extremes.

Rick
11-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey Go-Army,

You probably have 40-50 gallons of water already stockpiled if you have a water heater. A bit less, maybe, if it's an apartment. If push comes to shove, just shut your water off so it can't be naturally back siphoned and use the drain valve to draw water from the tank. If you open a faucet or the pressure relief valve, the water will drain better because it won't create a vacuum on the tank.

If you go with gallon jugs, then stay away from used milk cartons. The potential for bacteria growth is too high when other sources (bottled water, distilled water, etc) of clean jugs are available and easy to come by.

You might also consider a larger container such as:

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/aqua-pak-5gal-water-container

or commercial bottled water. Just remember to refresh the water a few times each year (less if the container is commercially sealed) and clean the jugs periodically.

You need about a gallon per day per person. Half for hydration and half for hygiene. More in hot weather. So a little math will tell you how much you need to have on hand.

I have a 50 gallon hot water heater and two 5 gallon jugs. If we have to git, I can toss my BOBs and the two jugs in the back of the pickemup and, as The Great One would say, ""And awa-aa-ay we go!"