PDA

View Full Version : The Dying Grounds

Pict
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
In the land we have hunted since we were boys there is a place we have come to call the Dying Ground where it seems all wounded deer, or even sick and old deer go to die. In our back forty this is a lowland area bordered by a railroad, a stream, and a rocky rise of a hill. The area is filled with brambles and tangled vines, you can't walk through it in Summer, its a real mess. It seems every time a deer is hit poorly or tagged by a car and wanders off, or just gets sick and old they crawl into the dying ground to die. There are places with the same type of vegetation in other areas but the deer seem to choose this particular location over many similar places to do their dying. In fact this behavior is so common among our local heard that we have often gone there on the day following a bad hit to find the deer and more often than not we're right. I am positive if the place were ever excavated it would be full of old bones. This has been a very consistent behavior of our local herd for decades.

I'm curious to see if any of you who are life long hunters know of such a place in the area you hunt.

Mac

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Not any certain place that I have seen it repeatedly. However typically a wounded or sick animal will seek thick cover so it is very beleivable. I would say this would occur more so on an island.

oldsoldier
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
where i lived in W. kentucky we owned 100 acres, sold it a couple years ago so Mom could pay offher bills and retire wife and I were not going to live there to far to drive everyday. 1 1/2-2 hrs 1 way daily. So we put it to good use. Anyway there was an ajoining section of land that had a similar area of about 10 acres that most of the local critters went to die deer,racoons,possums etc. a friend of mine said he checked it out last year ( he hunts the property it's on and said there were 20-25 deer skulls with antlers there.

DOGMAN
07-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I know of two places like this in my general area