PDA

View Full Version : A good gun for Survival that the Missus...

pocomoonskyeyes
07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Wouldn't mind me/us owning. Ok I think I may have her convinced to rethink her philosophy on Guns( she's against them). But since she joined this site she is already rethinking it some and agrred that ab .22 would be a good choice any suggestions keeping her in mind?

Rick
07-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Do you just want it for survival or is personal protection part of the plan?

pocomoonskyeyes
07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Me personally both. and I would choose a good 12 Ga. pump as a 2nd and a good Rifle as 3rd 270, 30.06,etc. but keeping her in mind what would you suggest? with her a handgun is out of the question in all likelyhood.

glockcop
07-27-2009, 04:55 PM
10/22 and a 12 guage pump. You can always use low recoil low brass for small game. Maybe even an AR. I believe Savage makes a cool double rifle. One bore is .22 lr and the other is 12 guage. As for pistols a stainless .357 revolver or stainless Ruger Single Six would be tops either way.

Icemancometh
07-27-2009, 04:59 PM
10/22 is thebest choise IMHO

pocomoonskyeyes
07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah I figured most would say the 10/22 no doubt. It was/is a little easier to convince her of a .22 especially since I have a zip-lock bag full of shells just sitting on a shelf..... now to convince her on the pump scattergun... oh well.

Rick
07-27-2009, 05:39 PM
If she's interested in a handgun, the single six is really the berries. It gives you the option of the .22 lr and the .22 mag. It comes with two different cylinders.

Sarge47
07-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Ruger makes the 10/22 in a "youth's model that's smaller & lighter than the regular model....just a thought. :cool2:

crashdive123
07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Since she seems to have an affinity toward pink.....

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-1022/DSC08175.JPG

or

http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/P22-PINK-NICKEL.jpg

chiye tanka
07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I say a revolver. They DON'T jam and even a caveman can use one (get it?:))
That being said, if you/she is not comfortable with a .38, Taurus, S&W, and Ruger make quality revolvers in both calibers as well as .22 Mag.
I recomend revolvers from a tactical standpoint. A long gun can be taken from you and used against you whereas a snubby revolver is harder to be taken from you.

Just my $.02.

Rick
07-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Dude, that's not even funny.

http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/geico_l.jpg

crashdive123
07-27-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree with Chiye on the revolver.

https://www.lipseys.com/eImages/150467.jpg

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Ghats the whole forum is infected!!!!

Rick
07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I hold my breath every time this thread comes up. I don't want to become infected too!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Just don't click on the pink stuff or links to pink stuff that is unless you wanta be sittin behind a new pink computer! Can't the Mods stop it before it spreads?

rebel_chick
07-27-2009, 06:59 PM
.22 are good if you are a good shot. But if you are looking to take down a man or even an animal I would go for something a little bigger. We had a AK 47 that I really liked and it didn't kick TO hard. I haven't actually shot the sks, but I hear they are about the same. And if she is a really bad aim you could try to convince her to a shot gun of sorts, I love my .410. Its not huge and it is easy to manage.

Just my thoughts. You could always get her something for her and you something different? David and I have different guns. It is easier that way. I think.

Rick
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Remind me never to make you mad. (walks off looking over his shoulder and mumbling. Chick hunts with an AK. Crikey!)

crashdive123
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Just don't click on the pink stuff or links to pink stuff that is unless you wanta be sittin behind a new pink computer! Can't the Mods stop it before it spreads?

Seems that the older I get, the pinker things get.

http://theodoregray.com/PeriodicTableDisplay/Samples/083.3/s9.JPG

rebel_chick
07-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Remind me never to make you mad. (walks off looking over his shoulder and mumbling. Chick hunts with an AK. Crikey!)

HEHE, and the sad part is most of the time I don't have to tell anyone that i have guns for them to know that I own them. Wierd huh?

oldsoldier
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
poco another suggestion is an AR you can get one in .223 and get the bolt conversion kit for it for around $100.00 comes with bolt assembly and a 30 round MAG. you can change from .223 to .22 or back in less than a minute that way she can start with the .22 get used to shooting a quieter,cheaper, small cal. ammo to start and then change to the .223 when/if she decides to and you can use the .223as a defense weapon if need be. I've got a stag arms M4 in .223 and I bought the .22 conversion. I contacted the state park to be sure and they said that as long as It is NOT loaded and I don't load it/fire it in the park and don't carry it around the park it was legal to bring it so i think I'll toss it in the jeep. if you come to jamboree you and the BETTER half can check mine out and get some idea if it may be a possibility.

pocomoonskyeyes
07-27-2009, 08:55 PM
You guys are just slaying me with the PINK stuff I almost choked with laughter and can't wait for her to get off work in the morning, to show her what a bunch of comedians ya'll are!! She'll laugh herself to sleep!!!

crashdive123
07-27-2009, 08:55 PM
HOPE!!!! He said clip!

Rick
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Grab the women and children!!!!! Barricade the doors and windows!!!!! This is gonna be uuuuuuuugly. No one says.....you know.....what he said.

pocomoonskyeyes
07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Sounds like someone is gonna' get clipped for saying clip. What's wrong with that? That's what we called 'em in the Army. Magazine=clip....... why do I have the feeling I'm gonna' get it now?:cold:

Rick
07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Lips moving rapidly
"We should all be running!"
Lips moving rapidly
"I'm not afraid! I have a fancy hat!"
Lips moving rapidly
"I say we all run. We are in danger!!!! The soldier has a clip in his gun."
Lips moving rapidly
"You fool! Don't ever say that word and it's a weapon!"
Lips moving rapidly
"Let go of my jacket."
Lips moving rapidly for a very, very, long time. It doesn't seem like that will ever stop.
"Okay."

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/kkg%20people.jpg

oldsoldier
07-27-2009, 09:13 PM
D#@% It Was F#@$%$# tryint to type and chewgum at the same time. My apologies Hope I am chastised and fixed my F%$#&^ and will take my beating with grace

oldsoldier
07-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds like someone is gonna' get clipped for saying clip. What's wrong with that? That's what we called 'em in the Army. Magazine=clip....... why do I have the feeling I'm gonna' get it now?:cold:

Poco a clip is for holding papers together, or if you aren't careful you'll get "clipped" by a used car dealer. Mags or magazines are for weapons. I knew that... I knew that..... I knew.... well I'll just plead tomporary insanity...Ken I NEED A GOOD LAWYER about now!!!:blushing::blushing:

oldsoldier
07-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Okay I'm going to put on my body armor and ballistic helment dig out my ghille and go hide now for a few hours....

pocomoonskyeyes
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
OH no! I"M Gonna' Get it ain't I? I just hope he uses one of those pink bunnies to beat me with. I can see it now pink fluffy bunny stuffing everywhere. Me laying there bleeding and bruised. All my drills ever corrected us on was the difference between "gun" and "weapon" this is for shooting this is for fun- They even said that C-word.

Mountain Man
07-27-2009, 09:53 PM
My wife likes the Glock 19 for personal protection. And she also really enjoys shooting the 10/22 for fun/plinking.

You could probably start with the 10/22 then work your way into more guns that she is comfortable with :)

chiggersngrits
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
For the price of the ar, I would get his(12ga.) and hers (20ga.) remington 870s and a bunch of shells.
Check around and see if there is skeet range around and go shoot a few rounds. I shot in a summer skeet league years ago and it was a blast. Its a great place to learn gun safety. Shooting at the doubles will "learn you to pump that cornshucker" and be ready for the next shot.

SARKY
07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
If you have to start her out on something in order to get her comfotable with firearms, go with the 10-22. Scope it, the reason for that is it is easier to make small groups and hit what you are aming at. This builds confidence! Next look at a 12 ga. pump shotgun. I like the Mossey 500, why?, because it will feed the Aguilla mini shotgun shells (which don't kick alot. For a handgun, go revolver, double action, a .357 (you can always shoot light 38 loads in it to get her acustomed to it and once she is ready for the big time, you don't NEED to buy another gun). I would recommend getting a trigger job on the revolver to smooth it out. If the 38/.357 is too much for her, look into the .327 federal(you can shoot all the .32 cal centerfire revolver rounds in it)

pocomoonskyeyes
07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Nice. I don't think she'll ever go for a handgun but who knows? Personally I prefer single actions for a new shooter just from a safety standpoint, less likely to "accidentally" go off.

SARKY
07-27-2009, 11:03 PM
In point of fact, she is more likely tohave an AD (Accidental Discharge) with a single action then with a double action! Why? you might ask....Well with a single action once you cock the hammer, you have a very light trigger pull. With a novice, once the hammer is cocked dropping it manually by holding the hammer, pulling the trigger and slowly lowering the hammer can be very tricky. Wjere as with the LOOOONG trigger pull of a double action, even if you partially pull the trigger then release it the gun is safe.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Good point Sarky, I am gonna teach my wife with a .38 cal. Colt revolver with a 7.5" barrell. Sure enough it is a double action. Mint condition gun I ain't thinkin' of modifications unless it is the sights.

pocomoonskyeyes
07-27-2009, 11:16 PM
point taken. Still doubt she'll go for it.But she may surprise me.....AGAIN!

SARKY
07-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Look.....all you have to do is show the love! Now I don't know how big or small your wife is, but unless she can take out a 290 lb. muscle head con, doped up on who knows what, with her bare hands... without even thinking about it. (and even then, would you want her to have to get that cloese to something like that?) A handgun is a tool that will allow her yo make and take options that otherwise wouldn't be available to her. AND you're doing this because you love her!!!!!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-27-2009, 11:38 PM
It is a smooth gun..you'll have to buy a used one as I did. It is a sound investment though. A true Colt American made gun! Feels nice in my hands. Maybe a .357 mag for you. But if I am buggin out with the basics these will be thrown to the side out of ammo sure enough for .22 for us all and plenty of it!! Oops I forget the rifles well good luck to anyone wanting to corner up me and my girls!

endurance
07-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I plead not enough information provided yet to make any intellegent suggestions other than a .22 LR like a Ruger 10/22. To make an intellegent suggestion, please answer a few quick questions:
1) What do you plan on doing with the weapons?
a) gathering game?
b) shooting for fun?
c) Defense against predatory animals?
d) self-defense against humans? (what type of scenarios are you thinking about?)
2) Where do you live? rural? urban? suburban?
3) What type of game and predators are in the area?
4) How often to you plan on shooting to train/practice?

pocomoonskyeyes
07-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Look.....all you have to do is show the love! Now I don't know how big or small your wife is, but unless she can take out a 290 lb. muscle head con, doped up on who knows what, with her bare hands... without even thinking about it. (and even then, would you want her to have to get that cloese to something like that?) A handgun is a tool that will allow her yo make and take options that otherwise wouldn't be available to her. AND you're doing this because you love her!!!!!

LOL I think you just might be able to convince her!!!! I know she'll be wanting to read this thread when she gets off work in the AM. Usually when I want something I just say " honey, baby, sugar, LOOOOVE of my life,... At this point she interupts and says "what do you want?"

pocomoonskyeyes
07-28-2009, 12:17 AM
I plead not enough information provided yet to make any intellegent suggestions other than a .22 LR like a Ruger 10/22. To make an intellegent suggestion, please answer a few quick questions:
1) What do you plan on doing with the weapons?
a) gathering game?
b) shooting for fun?
c) Defense against predatory animals?
d) self-defense against humans? (what type of scenarios are you thinking about?)
2) Where do you live? rural? urban? suburban?
3) What type of game and predators are in the area?
4) How often to you plan on shooting to train/practice?

these are questions I'll have to pose to her and let her in on the decision making. But I would have to answer- a,b,d,- urban- coyotes are probably the worst predators, deer,turkey and small game. and for #4 I might be lucky to get her out once or twice a month. I could be wrong though if she starts liking it.

SARKY
07-28-2009, 02:52 AM
Hey, if you want, i'll talk to her, and if that doesn't work, i'll have the wife talk to her!

pocomoonskyeyes
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks SARKY, Maybe I will do that your wife might be able to relate to her on a different level.

rebel_chick
07-28-2009, 06:40 PM
LOL, you want her to relate? Take her to the prison and show her what kind of creeps are out there and what they do. That should convince her to carry a weapon!

pocomoonskyeyes
07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
She already knows...sort of. She loves prison shows,don't ask me why. On MSNBC they have the show Locked Up and she watches that all the Time!!! So she knows What is out there. Maybe We should move to Kennesaw ,Ga. where every citizen is REQUIRED to own a firearm. Real low crime rate, I can't imagine why??(dripping with sarcasm ).

endurance
07-29-2009, 12:03 AM
these are questions I'll have to pose to her and let her in on the decision making. But I would have to answer- a,b,d,- urban- coyotes are probably the worst predators, deer,turkey and small game. and for #4 I might be lucky to get her out once or twice a month. I could be wrong though if she starts liking it.
Well, I'd still start with a 10/22, but one gun to think about might be a Remington 7400 in .243 (not available new anymore, but generally available used). Here's my thinking:

You simply can't find a lower recoil rifle that is capable and legal for taking a deer. You can easily hand load rounds that will be decent for small game. A 10 round detatchable magazine is available and it's semi-auto so it will serve the same niche as a military-style rifle. It looks like a typical hunting rifle with the factory 3-4 round magazine in it so it doesn't draw unnecessary attention and doesn't raise the wife's eyebrows that you've suddenly become Rambo.

Another alternative that might be worth considering is getting a .357 revolver and a .357 lever action rifle (I can't recall the model number, but Marlin makes one). Then you have the advantage of a universal cartridge for both guns, but you can handload .38 wadcutter to 550fps for small game or go full-house .357 for big game up to and including deer at shorter range (I'd feel comfortable out to 50-75 yards with that gun and load). Lever actions are very quick to reload with some folks nearly as quick as shooting a semi-auto.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-23-2009, 05:47 PM
OK I think we will take y'alls advice. We went to Wal-mart to check on the price of .22 cal rifles here is what we found.
they had two different Savage .22 LR rifles priced at @ $137
Ruger 10/22 w/ wood stock - $207
Ruger 10/22 w/ synthetic stock $247
Does that sound about right to you guys? It's been a long time since I priced Rifles. Oh yeah Gander Mountain had an all camo Ruger 10/22 for $379 or so, just can't see paying all that for a "paint job" though. I'm looking at the Ruger w/ wood stock with some serious intent.

crashdive123
08-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Those 10/22 prices sound a bit high to me. It may vary from region to region but I think I paid under $200 for mine less than a year ago.

oldsoldier
08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Poco you may want to also look at the henry .22 survival rifle. you can google it and see one on line. I have 2 of them 1 black and 1 camo. they cost around $180.00 and they break down and everything stores in the stock. It's light,waterproof and floats when disassembled. Makes a good pack weapon suprisingly accurate. Plus the length is shorter than the normal rifle which is easier to handle for a smaller person plus when your boys get a few years older it would make a good " starter" target weapon for them to learn with. It can also be scoped but it won't fit in the stock when disassembled unless you take off the scope.

Oasis de Tucanes
08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
In a survival situation you will have to deal with the Nazi factor.
You know. Protecting and serving...with their tazers. AK, AR, Mini 14's and the like will put you on the auto terrah list.Those brave defenders of freeDumb get mighty nervous when they see an AK with lazer sites in the back seat with 20 clips to go with it.
Make sure and have hunting licenses whether you use them or not.
Get a 1022 and let her plink a couple thousand rounds. She'll get addicted quick.Guaranteed.
Step up to a 500 series Mossberg in 20 guage and pick up a pigeon slinger. Addiction #2.
Stick a slug barrel with rifle sights on it later to introduce a little 'kick" and more volume.
After that ? The sky is the limit.

2dumb2kwit
08-23-2009, 08:45 PM
OK I think we will take y'alls advice. We went to Wal-mart to check on the price of .22 cal rifles here is what we found.
they had two different Savage .22 LR rifles priced at @ $137
Ruger 10/22 w/ wood stock - $207
Ruger 10/22 w/ synthetic stock $247
Does that sound about right to you guys? It's been a long time since I priced Rifles. Oh yeah Gander Mountain had an all camo Ruger 10/22 for $379 or so, just can't see paying all that for a "paint job" though. I'm looking at the Ruger w/ wood stock with some serious intent.

Those prices sound pretty good, to me. In fact...they're a couple bucks cheaper than the wal-mart here.

BTW, I have a 10/22, (Blued, w/wood stock....from wal-mart) with a cheap($30) scope on it. I shoot it more than any two of my other guns, put together.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Those prices sound pretty good, to me. In fact...they're a couple bucks cheaper than the wal-mart here.

BTW, I have a 10/22, (Blued, w/wood stock....from wal-mart) with a cheap($30) scope on it. I shoot it more than any two of my other guns, put together.

Sounds like you have the one I'm looking at,and the same scope I was looking at but here it's $32 for the scope. Anything special I need to know to mount the scope 2D2K?

2dumb2kwit
08-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Sounds like you have the one I'm looking at,and the same scope I was looking at but here it's $32 for the scope. Anything special I need to know to mount the scope 2D2K?

The rifle comes with a rail, that screws onto the top of it, and you can just get the scope rings(from wal-mart) that will mount your scope to the rail.

I didn't use the rail on mine. I got the scope rings that screw to the top of the rifle(without the rail) that are see-thru. (They also have these at wal-mart) This way, I can use a scope, but if I choose to, I can still see the open sights.

As far as the actual, putting it all together, it's pretty much common sense. Just tighten the screws up a little at a time, in kind of a criss-cross pattern.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Ok that's what I was wondering I didn't know what the rifle came with. Was the rifle predrilled or did you have to do it for the scope? Like you I want the see through rings.

2dumb2kwit
08-23-2009, 09:35 PM
It's already drilled and tapped. They will have scope rings to fit the 10-22, right near where the guns are. The rifle will come with little screw/plugs in the holes. The scope rings will come with the correct screws for mounting the rings.

It will take you longer to get the packages open, then it will take you to put it all together. I may be exaggerating, but there really isn't much to it.:)

pocomoonskyeyes
08-23-2009, 09:46 PM
No you answered perfectly. That was what I was wondering if it was drilled and tapped. Haven't bought a rifle I wanted to put a scope on in years, wasn't sure if it was pre-fab or something I would want a GunSmith for, since I don't have a drillpress.

2dumb2kwit
08-23-2009, 09:54 PM
A small screw driver and a few minutes......you'll be up and shootin'!

BTW, get lots of ammo! LOL