PDA

View Full Version : PIMP my AR-15 What accessories are usefull....?????

Sourdough
07-27-2009, 10:23 AM
What works and what is useless...? My goal is two lowers and three uppers. Plus add what is missing, and replace things that don't work for my application; Like change the FIXED 1 1/4" sling mounting brackets to Quick Release type. I want to improve the color I.D. for having the correct magazines available to the correct cartridge uppers. I now use different color duck tape to I.D. magazines with 6.8 SPC from magazines full of 5.56 NATO. So if you were building a AR-15 what features would it include.

chiye tanka
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Hope, check three sites. Magpul, LaRue Tactical, and Spike's Tactical.
These are the sites I use and have been very happy with everything I've purchased so far.

welderguy
07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
If I were building an AR, I would have to have a 6 position stock, flip up rear sight, tac light. other than that I cant think of any other add ons I would want or need.

SARKY
07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I would put in a Chip McCormick trigger, a piston (as opposed to gas impingment) upper. and a 6.5 Grendel upper (Why?, because I can make cases for it from 7.62x39 caes!)
A set of BUIS for your falt top reciever.

glockcop
07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Troy or Midwest flip up sights on a flat top receiver and flat gas block. The midwest is just as good as Troy but cost a good deal less. Yankee Hill makes 100% steel flip up sights with no aluminum involved. They may not be as pretty but they are TOUGH. Trijicon makes nights sights for them also. ACOG scopes area really nice and super durable. It will cost a bunch, believe me. Quad rail forearm with rubber guards. Six position stock. Three point harness system. Timney, Wilson, or Chip McCormick trigger group. Magpul mags. Surefire tac. light and side mount. I dont trust piston systems just yet. Many more parts to go wrong as apposed to gas impingment although they do run cleaner and cooler. Chrome plated bolt carriers clean up pretty easy already though. PLENTY of ammo. Happy shooting.

Sourdough
07-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I would put in a Chip McCormick trigger, a piston (as opposed to gas impingment) upper. and a 6.5 Grendel upper (Why?, because I can make cases for it from 7.62x39 caes!)
A set of BUIS for your falt top reciever.

Sorry, I am committed to the 6.8 SPC and have about 400 or 500 rounds. I am not going to start over or convert to gas piston at this point. And I have the Sig Sauer P556 which is gas piston. I agree 100% on the McCormick single stage trigger, I LOATH two stage triggers.

welderguy
07-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I agree 100% on the McCormick single stage trigger, I LOATH two stage triggers.

Ok please school me on the diffrence of the single stage and two stage triggers. all Ive ever had on mine was stock trigger group.

Sourdough
07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Most modern hunting rifles would have single stage 3# to 4 1/2# crisp trigger. A perfect trigger is like breaking cut glass, no creep, none just a crisp clean break when the fireing pin falls. A two or even three stage trigger, you might pull through 1/8" travel at 2 pounds, and the pull will stop, as it shifts to maybe 6 pounds of mushy pull. There can even be reverse weight Bushmaster Varmint trigger you pull through 2# of first stage, then it stops, then a one and a half pound second stage.

oldsoldier
07-27-2009, 09:07 PM
just " built" my ar this year started with a stag arms M4 carbine in .223 I added the 6 position stock the "quad rail" forearm, Holo sights flip down rear iron sights, combat drop sling, front drop handle combo red dot laser/flashlight. I also bought the .22 bolt conversion kit for target/play practice. I also bought the stag arms field tool that fits indide the hollow of the "pistol grip" and has several tools like a shell extractor, bore brush,cotter key puller when disaaaembling the bolt as well as 2 spare "keys" and a couple other tools. You can check out the "tool kit" at stag arms .com and it fits the "factory" grip of all makes of AR and I think you can get on for any caliber.

Sourdough
07-28-2009, 07:46 AM
I have decided to dump the AR-15 Pistol. And now consider that concept pretty useless, as it is net/net only a few inches shorter because of the buffer tube.

welderguy
07-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Most modern hunting rifles would have single stage 3# to 4 1/2# crisp trigger. A perfect trigger is like breaking cut glass, no creep, none just a crisp clean break when the fireing pin falls. A two or even three stage trigger, you might pull through 1/8" travel at 2 pounds, and the pull will stop, as it shifts to maybe 6 pounds of mushy pull. There can even be reverse weight Bushmaster Varmint trigger you pull through 2# of first stage, then it stops, then a one and a half pound second stage.

Thank You.

Jonesy
07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.compasslake.com/

Another place to burn some money:)