PDA

View Full Version : Hand-cannon

2dumb2kwit
07-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I know that I talked bad about hand-cannon's the other day, but I've gotta tell y'all about shooting one, today.

A friend brought out his Desert Eagle .50AE. I decided, what the heck, I tried it. IT AIN'T BAD! In fact, it's not as hard on your wrist, as my S&W .44mag mountain gun. The D.E. was controllable. (It may move you back a foot, but it doesn't feel like you've been hit in the hands, with a sledgehammer.)

The mountain gun, (Just got it.) was kinda harsh, but I have no problem shooting 6 where I want them.(With magnum loads.) I then shot for a while with "cowboy" loads. That gun is FUN to shoot, with the lighter loads!

I also tried #9 shot out of my .44 lever gun. A squirrel gun it ain't! At about 30 to 35 feet, only 3 pellets hit a 12"x12" target. That thing scatters!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Makes me wanna go shoot my cannons! Sounded like you unloaded some stress! boomyah!

2dumb2kwit
07-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah, it was fun, but I sure will be glad when the corn is harvested, so we can break out the rifles, and shoot some distance! LOL:innocent:

SARKY
07-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Do you reload? If not ....start! Once you start, get back to me , I've got a junkyard dowg load for the .44mag that you may like.

Mountain Man
07-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I've been eyeballing some 44mag revolvers... so many out there!

This is the one I was looking at:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_72/products_id/26644

Or if I was rich:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_72/products_id/26649

Is that the "Mountain Gun" you speak of?

Pict
07-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Rifling and shot don't mix. I once loaded some BB sized lead shot in a Remington .44 cap'n ball. My target was a can hanging in a tree. BOOM, no holes, move closer...BOOM, no holes... move closer BOOM, no holes??? I marched down to the edge of the frozen pond and fired at the skim ice. BOOM... perfectly round pattern like a string of pearls, it hit everywhere but where I was aiming. Mac

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah I posted last week or so about shooting buckshot through my 12ga. rifled slug barrell and I think it was (Coot) that said it would pattern like a donut. I thought he was pulling my leg....Then I found some ballistics on the net that showed he was right. You get a donut pattern.

crashdive123
07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah I posted last week or so about shooting buckshot through my 12ga. rifled slug barrell and I think it was (Coot) that said it would pattern like a donut. I thought he was pulling my leg....Then I found some ballistics on the net that showed he was right. You get a donut pattern.

It was me, and I wasn't pulling your leg. Been there, done that, got the donut.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for sharin' the donut Crash... OK it was Crash that told me.

2dumb2kwit
07-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Do you reload? If not ....start! Once you start, get back to me , I've got a junkyard dowg load for the .44mag that you may like.
Not yet, but thanks.

2dumb2kwit
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I've been eyeballing some 44mag revolvers... so many out there!

This is the one I was looking at:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_72/products_id/26644

Or if I was rich:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_72/products_id/26649

Is that the "Mountain Gun" you speak of?

One of these. (Like the first link you posted, but stainless, with rubber grip.)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=27843&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Alaskan Survivalist
04-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Hand Cannons? Thread title had me going. Sub MOA accuracy and all the power you handle. 270 Winchester, 45/70 loaded to near 458 magnum levels (575 grain Piledrivers) and a 45 Colt/410 barrel (It has a screw in choke with straight grooves that straighten pattern). I'm looking for a 445 barrel but may have to order it from factory.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1015.jpg

hunter63
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Ah, yes, nothing like a little recoil and burned powder in the morning to get the juices flowing...............

I was doing a little hand cannon action my self while at "The Place".

Took out the rebuilt Ruger Super Blackhawk, hasn't been fired in 20 years.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10767

I was a little concerned on how it would shoot with the rust and all.
Cleaned up pretty good, so put 20 rounds 240 JHP thru it, still shoots real good with the 11-1/2" barrel.
Gonna stick to jacketed bullets for a while, before sending some of my cast ww "ready rolls" thru it.

Was leaded up a tad in the rifling, so did a real good scrubbing with solvent, Bore Brite, and a bunches of patches, looking pretty good now.
Looking forward to playing with it some more here shortly.

Also up was a .38 Derringer, (trade item)and as the ammo store seemed to be out of .38's at the time, ended up with some .38 Spl's, (it's rated for them).

It seems like a "Last resort" type of thing, but will hit a paper plate at about 10 ft.
Was tad harsh, so maybe some toned down .38's would be in order.

AS, very nice brace there, the 45/70 gotta be a hand full, bet you don't use it as a Stop Sign gun?

Alaskan Survivalist
04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Hunter63, My first 44 was the original Black hawk 42 years ago and I don't know how many of the Super Blackhawks with 7 1/2 barrel I had after that. I shot them constantly and would wear them out. I used to walk the beach and whenever I saw a particular type of clam shell I would draw and fire as fast as I could. I kept up with new Ruger models as they came out and shot the RedHawk for a few years until the the Super Redhawk with 9 1/2 inch barrel came which is my current gun. It is built much heavier and seems to show no signs of wear. Hardly any recoil compared to my first Blackhawk and it tends to push back rather than up. It took some time to get used to because I always cocked the Single actions on the way down after recoil. I'll always have a special place in my heart for the Super Blackhawk and even have a friend that had an 11 1/2 inch barrel one he was selling but I screwed up and wanted to fire it before I bought it because I never shot one with that long a barrel before. It hit better than any of my 7 1/2 models the problem was once he saw what the gun was capaple of he refused to sell it. The guy has several 44's and can't shoot any of them but he is not parting with his Ruger. What a waste. My Encores have 15 inch barrels and the accuracy is so good I have been getting rid of rifles as my skill improves and only have 3 left and one of those I already consider trading stock.

hunter63
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
AS, I was always looking at the contenders, too cheap to get started down that road, (I know how I am, I'd have many barrels by now.).
I chose the H&R/NEF Handi Rifle as my "platform", and haven't run out of "the next one will be....'s, yet.

I do like my Rugers, pretty bullet proof, literally.
My favorite being the Bisley model SBH, in .44 mag
I like the small grips, turned down at a slightly different angle that the standard models.

'Course I'm kinda liking the S&W's as well.
So many toys, so little time........ah, well, one does what one can, right?

Alaskan Survivalist
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I just come up with need so great I can't live without it to justify the expense. I have stockpiled a lot of ammo but if my rifle breaks all that ammo would be useless so having another barrel that shoots the ammo save that investment in ammo like insurance. That's what I tell my wife. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

hunter63
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Deployment, deployment, deployment, ...............redundancy, redundancy, redundancy.
Never put all your eggs in the same basket, nor keep them in one place, BUT do consider like calibers..............

Well, lets see, Desert Eagle .50 huh, shot one once was fun,.....well, lets see, there has been some lion talk lately........
Still kinda low on the must have list, think I'd be needing a small (short barrel).44 cal wheel gun first....... then again, maybe a different larger cal. upper for the Zombie swatter......decisions, always decisions.