PDA

View Full Version : "NIGHT SIGHTS" Are they really worth IT...???

Sourdough
07-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes, if they are free, sure they are nice. But are they really worth the cost...? Do $100.00 plus night sights on a $400.00 firearm make it 25% better....? If so why not have them on everything, all firearms....???
If it is dark and you can't distinguish your target, but your sights are luminated......you still have a problem. If you have a flashlight do you really need nightsights.....???

Are they more useful in the city....? In my world it is either dark-dark-dark or daylight, there are no streetlights. They seem most useful in my world at dusk and dawn, which at best is only 1/24th of the day, OK Maybe, just maybe 1/12th of the day.
Do I like them, YES. Are they really worth the cost, (Remember they only last 10 years) I am not SURE.

crashdive123
07-25-2009, 02:56 PM
The only "night sights" I've used were military. They were infrared. Probably not what you're talking about.

2dumb2kwit
07-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I may be way off, on this, but my thinking is that if I'm shooting at something in the dark, it's a threat that is close enough to me that I can hit it without really aiming.(And I'll probably keep shooting, until I'm sure there is no longer a threat.)

Sourdough
07-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I may be way off, on this, but my thinking is that if I'm shooting at something in the dark, it's a threat that is close enough to me that I can hit it without really aiming.(And I'll probably keep shooting, until I'm sure there is no longer a threat.)

I'll second that, there might be a very few exception, (None come to mind quickly).

Another point is the bright flash of un-burnt power, at night after the first shot, and you are somewhat blinded by the bright flash, do the night sights help......?

Sourdough
07-25-2009, 03:31 PM
The only "night sights" I've used were military. They were infrared. Probably not what you're talking about.

WOW, if I had $4,000.-- to $6,500.-- to blow, I would like some real night vision equipment.

Pict
07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
I think you hit it with the low light or fading light conditions. If you can't ID your target or are in total darkness you could easily bury your wife or kid. Being able to hit what you can't really see is dangerous. In dusk or pre-dawn light night sights really show up well and could be an aid to better shooting. A lack of night sights doesn't seem to stop anyone from shooting at shadows in the dark. Just understand what you have and carry a tactical light.

Some night sights really do put out a glow in total darkness. I remember going down a trail and the three guys ahead of me all had night sights on their (holstered) Glocks. It looked like the march of the fairy sprites. They do make it easy to find your gun in the dark. Mac

Pal334
07-25-2009, 04:16 PM
I think I agree with Hope. For the average "Joe"the cost/ benefit of a true "Night Sight" just makes no sense to spend the money (in this case you would truely be paying premium for the quality). If you had to hunt only at night, maybe it would. In a normal civilian environment, the target would probably be danger close, so it would not be needed. I used various weapons equiped with the state of the art military Night vision devices, and honestly they were of limited utility, other than as a spotting device. I would save my money and stock up on Brandy (for medicinal use only of course). And the muzzle flash does blank out your vision, it recovers quickly, but it does blank out.

sgtdraino
07-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes, in my opinion, they are absolutely worth it.

Sourdough
07-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes, in my opinion, they are absolutely worth it.

SO, does every firearm you own have night sights or just your Duty weapon, and off duty weapon. Do all your rifle and all your shotguns have night sights....????

Sourdough
07-25-2009, 06:00 PM
General Question to everyone: Is there any downside to night sights, well a sniper could take you out, spotting the green glow. But realistically other than cost, or exposure to radioactive material is there any drawback to night sights......?

crashdive123
07-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Honestly, it depends on what you want to do with them. The one I used the most was a thermal imaging scope. For shipboard use in a smoke filled compartment it was the only way you could be on target. In civilian life I honestly have no need or use for them. I've also used night vision goggles quite a bit. For the applications in which they were used - they were invaluable. I would think there would be more use for those in a night time wilderness environment. Much wider field of view.

Pal334
07-25-2009, 06:18 PM
General Question to everyone: Is there any downside to night sights, well a sniper could take you out, spotting the green glow. But realistically other than cost, or exposure to radioactive material is there any drawback to night sights......?

There is really no green glow unless you do not have your eye properly seated on the sight. A good one has almost a thin rubber type "gasket" that you push your eye against and that seals what little glow there is. Now there is a possibility if your particular sight has Infrared capability, and you use it, it is like turning on a flashlight that is seen by other night vision device, thus illuminating you. My understanding is that in order to have any possibility of "radioactive " exposure, you would have to destroy the unit and physically ingest parts of it to have a measurable impact. I have never experienced any drawback to the sights, just don't think it would be a priority item for an average Joe. SGT Drano, probably does see a need due to his LEO duties.

Sourdough
07-25-2009, 06:46 PM
I think we have some confusion here, I am talking about sights on the gun that glow in the dark, some have tritium. It is the sights that glow, not talking about Night Vision Goggles, or Equipment. Sorry If I was unclear.

crashdive123
07-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Gotcha - please disregard everything I've said. I've used lighted reticles, but not tritium coated ones - besides, I know how you hate batteries.

Pal334
07-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I think we have some confusion here, I am talking about sights on the gun that glow in the dark, some have tritium. It is the sights that glow, not talking about Night Vision Goggles, or Equipment. Sorry If I was unclear.

Ok,, never mind:) Was a good mental exercise though

2dumb2kwit
07-25-2009, 07:05 PM
LOL...I was reading Pict's post and imagining some guy thinking that he was seeing UFO's off in the distance, when he's really seeing "three dots on a glock", in the holster of the guy walking 10' in front of him!:innocent:

oldsoldier
07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Can't be of much help like 2dumb the only night sights I've used are the ones I have on my barrett a "friend" got me one from the military. Has night vision, infared "heat seeking" and standard settings I love it it works in ALL light levels. But there's no way i could ever afford or wouldn't pay the $17,000.00 they cost if you could buy one outside the military/law enforcement community.

Rick
07-25-2009, 08:22 PM
And just remember, if you walk past the bad guy in the dark he can see those sights just as easy as you can. Then they become a tactical disadvantage.

Ken
07-25-2009, 08:22 PM
LOL...I was reading Pict's post and imagining some guy thinking that he was seeing UFO's off in the distance, when he's really seeing "three dots on a glock", in the holster of the guy walking 10' in front of him!:innocent:

Well, if he couldn't identify it, it was a UO at the very least........

Ken
07-25-2009, 08:23 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Lighted_suit1.jpg

sgtdraino
07-25-2009, 11:16 PM
SO, does every firearm you own have night sights or just your Duty weapon, and off duty weapon. Do all your rifle and all your shotguns have night sights....????

My duty weapon has them, my primary off-duty weapon has them. If I could afford to put them on every other gun I use, I would do so.

Sourdough
07-26-2009, 12:48 AM
My duty weapon has them, my primary off-duty weapon has them. If I could afford to put them on every other gun I use, I would do so.

And so Sgt. This is one more thing we agree on. One of the assets of Night Sights is finding your firearm in the dark, when you are awoken from a deep sleep. If something is going BUMP in the night you don't want to be feeling in the dark for your weapon, with Night sights when your eyes open they go straight to the green glow.

Ole WV Coot
07-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Don't need them. If I can see and identify I can hit it. Learn to point shoot well, even in good light you just need the front sight at the most. Good ole Murphy will find a way to
screw them up anyway.

Ole WV Coot
07-26-2009, 08:10 AM
And so Sgt. This is one more thing we agree on. One of the assets of Night Sights is finding your firearm in the dark, when you are awoken from a deep sleep. If something is going BUMP in the night you don't want to be feeling in the dark for your weapon, with Night sights when your eyes open they go straight to the green glow.

Still don't need them. I know exactly where my bedside firearm is and don't need
to fumble, been in the same spot and position on the nightstand for years. If you aren't awake enough to have a firearm in your hand you don't need it. Or get a little Teddy Bear nitelite. Hope I think you've been around long enough, like me to lay your hand on a firearm without a a lighted arrow pointing to it.

Sourdough
07-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Still don't need them. I know exactly where my bedside firearm is and don't need
to fumble, been in the same spot and position on the nightstand for years. If you aren't awake enough to have a firearm in your hand you don't need it. Or get a little Teddy Bear nitelite. Hope I think you've been around long enough, like me to lay your hand on a firearm without a a lighted arrow pointing to it.

Finding the handgun, quickly when living in a tent, with a client, and things are constantly getting moved for cooking or sleeping, etc. or if you sleep in a camper one night, at a friends house the next, in your own bed the next night, then overnight under your truck in a sleeping bag the next. The night sights act like a "Night LIGHT" in a tent environment, and are handy when big brown fuzzy things start tearing up camp.

crashdive123
07-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I can see the value of them for the situations that you describe.

glockcop
07-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Yes, They are worth it. I don't own a combat pistol without them. My combat shotguns and AR's have them too. Some "Experts" say, "If you can't see your sights , you can't identify your threat either and you have no business shooting". BULLSH*T!! These guys have obviously never had low light training nor have they ever been in a low light, life and death situation. These clowns are just reciting what they have read in a trash mag or forum with no real life experience to back up their dribble. I can recall years ago without night sights as a rookie cop that MANY times I could not see my sights well enough for accurate shooting but could definately identify the threat. Not many people can accurately point shoot a target 15 to 50 yards out. After shooting in low light your vision will be temporarily impaired but the night sights help you aquire your sight picture that much faster for a second follow up shot. Night sights are an advantage and do not believe otherwise! I just don't get it when some cheap a$$ buys a $900.00 Sig or some uber cool $1700.00 1911 clone and won't spend the extra $85.00 on night sights because "They are expensive". BOTTOM LINE = YES, THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

Ken
07-26-2009, 12:11 PM
I'd still think laser sights would work better. Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just line up the beam?

glockcop
07-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd still think laser sights would work better. Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just line up the beam?

They can be an advantage also but Night Sight's batteries don't burn out when you need them most. They should supplement night sights and not replace them. You still need a good flshlight for any low light encounter and it should accompany your night sights and / or lazer sight. FWIT I'm not a huge lazer fan anyway due to them being delicate and battery hungry. Best.

Ken
07-26-2009, 12:39 PM
They can be an advantage also but Night Sight's batteries don't burn out when you need them most. They should supplement night sights and not replace them. You still need a good flshlight for any low light encounter and it should accompany your night sights and / or lazer sight. FWIT I'm not a huge lazer fan anyway due to them being delicate and battery hungry. Best.

Good advice. Thanks!

Pict
07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
"I just don't get it when some cheap a$$ buys a $900.00 Sig or some uber cool $1700.00 1911 clone and won't spend the extra $85.00 on night sights because "They are expensive".

I feel the same way about tactical flashlights. Take a good look at your wife or teenage son and ask if it would be worth seeing them before shooting.

You make a good point about being able to ID the threat but still not be able to see your own sights. Low light conditions are highly variable. Mac

Sourdough
07-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Glockcop, it is OK to say how you really feel, there is no need too sugarcoat it, or put a (:)) on it.......:innocent::innocent::innocent:

Ole WV Coot
07-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Yep Hope I see your point. As to point shooting I've only been doing it for about 55yrs so I guess I am wrong as usual. Us old hillbillies aren't known for being very good with a gun. Guess that's why I had a BB gun in the mid 60s and was expected to hit another BB in the air. Yep, I can't drive a nail at 20yds but I walk up and use a rock. Human targets are much larger anyway.

Sourdough
07-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Yep Hope I see your point. As to point shooting I've only been doing it for about 55yrs so I guess I am wrong as usual. Us old hillbillies aren't known for being very good with a gun. Guess that's why I had a BB gun in the mid 60s and was expected to hit another BB in the air. Yep, I can't drive a nail at 20yds but I walk up and use a rock. Human targets are much larger anyway.

Ole Coot, I got your point clearly, and agree with you. When I am night after night in my cabin, my Sig Sauer P-556 is right next to the bed, with the G2 light beside it.

Rick
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
I feel the same way about tactical flashlights. Take a good look at your wife or teenage son and ask if it would be worth seeing them before shooting.

I have to disagree on this one. I would never pay high dollar for a tactical flashlight when a $15 mag light will work just as well and is just as dependable. That also assumes your home is pitch black, which mine isn't and I would think most aren't. Especially if you are in an urban-ish setting. Off grid, it probably is.

There are very few places in my home that I would not be able to readily recognize friend or foe even at night. But then, I wouldn't go looking for them, either. I'd wait for them to come to me. Add to the fact that it's just me and my wife so if she's in bed beside me then whoever is out "there" is probably in trouble.

Ken
07-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Add to the fact that it's just me and my wife so if she's in bed beside me then whoever is out "there" is probably in trouble.

Okay, I'll ring the doorbell or knock next time............

Pal334
07-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Surprisingly enough, there are some strong opinions both ways on this subject (like most other subjects). I can see some of what Glockcop says as being accurate, however have to disagree some what with “Night sights are an advantage and do not believe otherwise!”. If a person has decided to dedicate the time to practice, they will enjoy the advantage. However the majority, for various reasons lean too heavily on technology and do not follow through with practice. I for one have over 30 plus years relied on point shooting , one closed eye (to retain night vision)with a great deal of success. Having said that , it is because I chose this method, practiced it and used it in hostile environments with success (evidenced by the fact that I retain a relatively imperforated carcass). My conclusion is, pick a method, practice it and stick with it, is much less confusing. If you go with technology, get the best you can afford.

glockcop
07-26-2009, 03:18 PM
The fact of the matter is that point shooting is for up close. If we did not need to see our sights they wouldn't be there...We would all be point shooting at 25 yards and missing. I don't care how good you are point shooting, you're gonna hit better using you sights when you can see them. How can anyone say that seeing your sights is not an advantage. To each his own but I'll be hitting what I'm shoot at in low light , near or far. Point Shooting a.k.a. "Instict Shooting" is a real thing and can be useful.... but it works much better in black and white LONE RANGER shows though. After training more rookies than I can ever think about remembering I KNOW what works for most people. As far as people relying too much on technology I have to agree with that but I'm not about to start carrying a black powder pistol and using a flint knife. I'll be the first guy to pick up a revolver (outdated technology by some opinions) over a Glock but that wheel gun will have night sights on it. Some things are just better now than they ever were and night sight are one of those things. Spend the extra $85.00 and then anyone in your family can use your weapon if need be and not have to be a point shooting expert. Best.

Pal334
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
The fact of the matter is that point shooting is for up close. If we did not need to see our sights they wouldn't be there...We would all be point shooting at 25 yards and missing. I don't care how good you are point shooting, you're gonna hit better using you sights when you can see them. How can anyone say that seeing your sights is not an advantage. To each his own but I'll be hitting what I'm shoot at in low light , near or far. Point Shooting a.k.a. "Instict Shooting" is a real thing and can be useful.... but it works much better in black and white LONE RANGER shows though. After training more rookies than I can ever think about remembering I KNOW what works for most people. Spend the extra $85.00 and then anyone in your family can use your weapon if need be.

And close up it is, never had a need in the dark over 15-20yards. In building clearing, most has been almost "contact" close, others across a room.It is all muscle memory. As I said ,it is not for everyone, it is a method I chose and works. As an instructor and leader, preparing people for MOUT work over seas, this is what I taught and it worked. Using sights obviously is an advantage, just not in the application we are discussing. As I see it a torso hit is all I want, not looking for MOA groups. My point is choose what works for you. I feel no need to spend money on an accessory. I never actually used the "lone Ranger flicks as training aids, but they are amusing.:)

sgtdraino
07-26-2009, 03:39 PM

Laser sights work great, as long as you aren't concerned with giving up your position. Sure, night sights can give you away too, but not nearly as obviously. If that isn't a concern, then a laser emitter is very handy. I have one on my duty weapon.

Of course a laser runs on batteries, is a more complicated device, and is going to have a more finite lifespan than nightsights.

Sourdough
07-26-2009, 04:10 PM
OK, now we have a educational conversation going........green or red laser.......?

glockcop
07-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Not to insult anyone but nobody cares how well a corpse use to be able to point shoot. Night Sights give you an advantage in a broader range of life and death scenarios. I know that a life and death situation is likely to happen in low light 80% of the time. One should not limit their training to just one mode of thought (point shooting). "I don't need them" is a whole lot like "It wont happen to me". Use what is available and live to tell about it. This is just my well grounded and founded opinion on what it takes to stay alive in the real world of tactics and training.

Ole WV Coot
07-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Two kinds of handgun shooting, target & combat. I don't worry about targets, that will get you killed. I don't punch holes in paper. I can suggest an old book "Shooting to Live" by a couple of men named Fairbairn & Sykes. It's a little outdated on some things, but their theory is as solid now as it was in 1940. Contrary to popular belief I just don't impress easily and underestimating anyone with a
firearm isn't very bright.

Pal334
07-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Not to insult anyone but nobody cares how well a corpse use to be able to point shoot. Night Sights give you an advantage in a broader range of life and death scenarios. I know that a life and death situation is likely to happen in low light 80% of the time. One should not limit their training to just one mode of thought (point shooting). "I don't need them" is a whole lot like "It wont happen to me". Use what is available and live to tell about it. This is just my well grounded and founded opinion on what it takes to stay alive in the real world of tactics and training.

Don't agree, don't need to agree. We have disparent views. Your are not open to an opposing view, so I will drop out of the discussion. Not worth my effort.

Ole WV Coot
07-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Don't agree, don't need to agree. We have disparent views. Your are not open to an opposing view, so I will drop out of the discussion. Not worth my effort.

Yep, that we do. No harm no foul. If it works well for you stay with it and stay safe. Whatever you use practice and practice some more.

glockcop
07-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Ole coot and Pal334, I did not intened to offend which I must have done. Appologies all around. My wife tells me I do it to her all the time. I guess I gotta work on that. I'm just old and set in my ways. And yes, use what works for you by all means and stay safe. Best.

Ole WV Coot
07-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Ole coot and Pal334, I did not intened to offend which I must have done. Appologies all around. My wife tells me I do it to her all the time. I guess I gotta work on that. I'm just old and set in my ways. And yes, use what works for you by all means and stay safe. Best.

If men can't disagree it would be a dull world. You did not offend me in the least. I hope we never play follow the leader. If you don't agree with anything I type, don't back off. I always like to hear a different point of view and watch your back out there.

Pal334
07-27-2009, 08:53 AM
glock and Coot. No harm, no foul, spirited discussion is fun. With so many "alpha" types here, we are bound to rub each other a bit. And I agree it would be dull otherwise. Tipping my coffee mug to all, :)

Sourdough
07-27-2009, 09:18 AM
With so many "alpha" types here,

what....WHAT..WHERE.....:innocent:

glockcop
07-27-2009, 11:49 AM
glock and Coot. No harm, no foul, spirited discussion is fun. With so many "alpha" types here, we are bound to rub each other a bit. And I agree it would be dull otherwise. Tipping my coffee mug to all, :)

Cool, I'm glad we can still play together and not get a "Time Out" in the corner. I believe I've already said way too much on this subject so I'll let somebody else get a breath in. Stay safe out there ya'll.

Rick
07-27-2009, 01:35 PM
I deleted the second post for you.

The only time you'll get a time out is if someone makes it personal. If you start calling names or talking trash then you could get some time alone. As long as folks are discussin' instead of cussin' it will work.

Pal334
07-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Is discussin and fussin ok?

sgtdraino
07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
OK, now we have a educational conversation going........green or red laser.......?

I have heard the green ones are quite nice, though I have not tried one myself. I only have red.

The only time you'll get a time out is if someone makes it personal. If you start calling names or talking trash then you could get some time alone.

This gives me an idea that's just too good! :D

oldsoldier
07-28-2009, 07:38 PM

Both depending on light situation from what i've learned red works best at night or in foggy/smokey situations where green works better in day light bright light situations. they make one that has both the green and red lasers as well as a flashlight. They are somewhat costly is some peoples view $ 100.oo to $250.oo but there again its an investment in your personel security then the price doesn't matter that much I found one at my local dealer that has all three for $ 150.oo and plan on getting one soon.