PDA

View Full Version : Natural remedies for bee stings

LudwigVan
07-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I just stepped on a yellow jacket, stung right between my big toe!

I'm fine now because I'm at home and I've got access to that wonderfull panacea Absorbene Jr. (I'm making a note to get a small bottle to keep in my pack now) But it got me wondering about other stuff you can do if you have no absorbene. I have heard about making a poultice from plaintain greens, and I think you can do the same with baking soda. (which I like to keep around whenever I camp)

Anybody know any other ways?

Ken
07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
A cold wet tea bag.

Pict
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I scream like a little girl and jump in a lake, river, or other body of water. Mac

crashdive123
07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Screaming like a little girl aside - make sure you get the stinger out. You can make a poultice from meat tenderizer, baking soda or mud. Vinegar may help as well.

2dumb2kwit
07-24-2009, 06:26 PM
If you're a smoker, you can take some tobacco out of a cigarette, wet it, and put it on the sting. Works great.

nell67
07-24-2009, 06:35 PM
A copper penny works as well,it was mentioned on the forum last year. I was stung by a wasp,grabbed a penny from my pocket and within a minute the pain was gone and there was no swelling.

OhioHillbilly
07-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Good old mud.

Sarge47
07-24-2009, 07:54 PM
If you're a smoker, you can take some tobacco out of a cigarette, wet it, and put it on the sting. Works great.....your toe runs the risk of getting cancer! :innocent: Awhile back I was stung by a Wasp on my back around the left shoulder area. I've heard it said that Wasp stingers are not barbed, so they retract right out of the skin; unlike bees, & that's why bees die after stinging because the stinger stays in & pulls their insides out. Anyway, I guess it's true about the Wasps because my wife looked & there was no stinger. She mixed up a paste of vinegar & baking soda, smeared it on, & covered it with a band-aid. Within minutes the swelling, which had gotten as big as the end of my thumb, was gone along with the pain. 24 hrs later all's that was left was a little pink spot to show where the sting had been. BTW, I called in an "anti-Wasp" strike & 3 nests were destroyed along with what ever was cocooned inside. Oooh-rah! :cool2:

crashdive123
07-24-2009, 07:59 PM
BTW, I called in an "anti-Wasp" strike & 3 nests were destroyed along with what ever was cocooned inside. Oooh-rah! Ya see.....pest control can be so rewarding!

Winnie
07-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Alcohol wipes(the first aid kit kind) work well too.

Rick
07-25-2009, 09:09 AM
If you are with someone and they get stung be alert to any allergic reaction. For some folks, it can be a matter of life and death. Ask them if they are allergic. If they are, ask if they have an Epi-Pen.

As others have said, remove the stinger, if it's a bee. The stinger can continue to pump venom as long as it is stuck in you. You can use the flat edge of your knife to scrape it out. Don't squeeze it. You'll be forcing more venom into your skin. Apply ice, if you have it, or cool water to help reduce swelling.

We had a thread not too long ago on this subject and some said they carry an Epi-Pen. If you have one, check yours and make certain it's still viable. Some went looking for theirs and couldn't find them. Still others said theirs had turned cloudy. So take the time right now to verify where your pen is and make sure it's still good. Go on...do it.

Here's a link to Epi-Pen information:

http://www.epipen.com/

2dumb2kwit
07-25-2009, 12:34 PM
.... BTW, I called in an "anti-Wasp" strike & 3 nests were destroyed along with what ever was cocooned inside. Oooh-rah! :cool2:

A few weeks ago, I was up a ladder, painting the trim on my shed, when a wasp decided to sting me in my forehead. Now I ask.....what's your natural reaction, when something is stinging you?

After getting stung in the forehead, and smacking myself in the face, with a paintbrush full of paint, I used the tobacco cure. To my neighbors, I probably looked like a Klingon, on a mission, but with a wad of tobacco stuck on my forehead, I went on the attack. Within 10 minutes, anything that looked like a wasp nest, or that flew anywhere near me, was extremely dead!:sneaky2: Heck, birds were afraid to come into my yard, for three days!

crashdive123
07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Man, I wish somebody had a camera.

Sting ---- Smack ---- Drip

Sarge47
07-25-2009, 01:03 PM
A few weeks ago, I was up a ladder, painting the trim on my shed, when a wasp decided to sting me in my forehead. Now I ask.....what's your natural reaction, when something is stinging you?

After getting stung in the forehead, and smacking myself in the face, with a paintbrush full of paint, I used the tobacco cure. To my neighbors, I probably looked like a Klingon, on a mission, but with a wad of tobacco stuck on my forehead, I went on the attack. Within 10 minutes, anything that looked like a wasp nest, or that flew anywhere near me, was extremely dead!:sneaky2: Heck, birds were afraid to come into my yard, for three days!Now that's what I'm talking about! Oooh-Rah! Get some! D.T.A.W! (Death To All Wasps!) :sneaky2:

Aurelius95
07-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about! Oooh-Rah! Get some! D.T.A.W! (Death To All Wasps!) :sneaky2:

You're not talking about Protestants, are you, Sarge? :)

I've got a yellow jacket nest inside the wall of my house. They get in through a small hole where the flood light is mounted. They are not in the house, but I was wondering the best way to get rid of them. It's within easy reach and would not involve a ladder. Anybody have ideas? Legal ideas, I mean!

Rick
07-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I know a guy that can help and he won't charge much. Georgia is pretty close to Florida so travel won't be THAT expensive.

crashdive123
07-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Hmmmmmm. Wonder who that could be? Oh well, while trying to figure it out....Yellow Jacket nests can get very large (over 500 wasps). They're very aggressive, especially the smaller, Southern Yellow Jackets. They’re less active at dusk and evening (don’t turn on the light as it gets dark). Make sure they only have the one entrance/exit that you are seeing. Make sure they haven’t made their nest away from that area and in the attic. If they’re nesting in that area and only have the one access (very important to find out), seal it to the point where only the straw of an aerosol can is able to fit through, and let them have it. An insecticide foam works best if you have access to either the cans, or a foamer.

LudwigVan
07-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the good information!

The tobbacco one is the one I was thinking of but couldn't remember right off, I think my mom did that for me one time when I was younger and got stung.

Sarge47
07-25-2009, 08:29 PM
You're not talking about Protestants, are you, Sarge? :)

I've got a yellow jacket nest inside the wall of my house. They get in through a small hole where the flood light is mounted. They are not in the house, but I was wondering the best way to get rid of them. It's within easy reach and would not involve a ladder. Anybody have ideas? Legal ideas, I mean!What, are you kiddin"? I'M a protestant! Unless some of them are armed with stingers & can fly at ya, I don't think so! :cool2:

RangerXanatos
07-26-2009, 02:21 PM
We have used a paste from water and meat tenderizer. Works very well. Also could use fatback.

Rick
07-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Also could use fatback.

Well, there you go. That one's a natural for me.

Stargazer
07-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Rick, thats a great link to the Epi-pen site.If you do not know how to use one that site will show you.I think its something everyone should know how to do.It may save someones life.Like mine..

I actually got re tested last week and came back positive for honey bee's.Not much of a surprise.Started again with getting stuck one a week today to see if my body will build up an immunity to honey bee venom.

The shot's not a problem but for some reason I have an issue with knowing I am getting a small dose of venom.The nurse walked in to the room and said that "This is such a small dose you Shouldn't have any problems".Something just feels wrong gambling on a Shouldn't.

OICU812
07-28-2009, 09:29 PM
A copper penny works as well,it was mentioned on the forum last year. I was stung by a wasp,grabbed a penny from my pocket and within a minute the pain was gone and there was no swelling.

As mentioned a good 'ole penny pressed firm on the sting for about 1 min. is the "ONLY" thing that will stop the hurt -not mud, not spit, not ...... any of the other hog wash you'll hear about my grandpappy said~
nell has hit the nail on the head, so go provoke some and see?

Sarge47
08-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Check it out...:

Wasp Stings

Marigolds: Rub the flower head of a marigold over the stung area (must be a freshly picked marigold and not dried).
Basil: Roughly crush a fresh leaf or two to release the herb’s natural oils and press directly on sting area, hold in place.
Winter Savory: Crush the leaves roughly to release the herb’s oils then apply to wasp sting.
Aloe Vera: Split open a leaf and apply the aloe gel directly to the bite area (from How To Heal With Aloe Vera Plants (http://tipnut.com/how-to-heal-with-aloe-vera-plants-tips-guide/)).
Plantain: Chop roughly and mix with a bit of warm water then apply to wound. You can also chew a leaf or two then apply to bite.

Ice: Place an ice cube or ice pack (http://tipnut.com/quick-easy-homemade-ice-packs/) on sting and press on wound for about 20 minutes, will help reduce pain. Ice can also be used to help reduce the swelling that will occur. Make sure to protect the skin by covering ice with a thin cotton towel or paper towel first.
Baking Soda: Make a thick paste with water and apply to sting.
Salt: Make a thick paste with water and apply to sting.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Soak a small cotton pad with apple cider vinegar and hold on wound until pain disappears (the acid content neutralizes the venom).
Vinegar: Same treatment as apple cider vinegar, can also drizzle a few drops directly onto skin (the acid content neutralizes the venom).
Lemon Juice: Same treatment as apple cider vinegar, can also drizzle a few drops directly onto skin (the acid content neutralizes the venom).
Lemon: Cut a fresh slice of lemon and hold in place over stung skin until pain disappears (the acid content neutralizes the venom).
Garlic: Crush a fresh clove of garlic and apply to stung area, cover with a bandaid.
Onion: Slice an onion and press in place over the stung area until pain disappears.
Cucumber: Place a freshly sliced piece of cucumber over the stung area and hold in place until pain disappears.
Potato: Slice a potato in half and apply the cut end on the wound, hold in place until pain subsides.
Olive Oil: Rub wound with olive oil for relief of pain and to heal wound.

Garlic & Salt Home Remedy
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp salt

Directions: Crush garlic then mix in the salt and apply directly to the sting area. Wrap with a bandage.
Both topical and oral antihistamines (such as Benadryl or Claritin) can be effective in reducing swelling and itching.
Calamine lotion can be applied to sting area to help sooth pain and relieve itching.
A paste made with Epsom salts and water then applied to stung area can provide relief from pain.
Old Timers Remedy: Chew tobacco a bit to wet it then apply to where the wasp stung, wrap with a strip of cloth to hold in place.
Old Timers Remedy: Mix dirt with water or saliva to make a mud then apply to wound, is quite soothing.
Old Wives Tale: Press a penny to the wasp sting and hold in place for 10 to 15 minutes, pain will disappear.

Tip: Keep wound clean with soap and water to prevent a skin infection (wash regularly for several days). You can also sterilize the area with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
A normal reaction to a wasp sting is to experience pain, burning, itchiness, redness and swelling. Pain will last for a few hours then should disappear. If you notice your hands or fingers starting to swell, remove rings immediately. Protect the wound from bumps and avoid rubbing.
Although wasp stings are painful and some swelling will develop, this is the experience most people have from a wasp sting. However, some do have a serious allergy to wasp venom and in these cases, death can occur.
If the following occurs after a wasp sting, seek medical advice:

The wasp stung inside your nose or mouth (the swelling will affect breathing).
If you were stung several times by many wasps.
If you have difficulty breathing or your breathing seems to have been affected.
Your tongue begins to swell.
You experience dizziness.
You experience blurry vision.
You feel nauseous.
Your speech is slurred or you find it difficult to talk.
Hives or a rash appears (especially in an area away from the bite).
The stung area swells alarmingly large.

As with bee stings (http://tipnut.com/quick-tip-bee-sting-relief/), if the reaction seems severe (especially if breathing is affected), don’t hesitate to call medical emergency services as the victim of the sting may be experiencing an allergic reaction to the wasp sting that can trigger anaphylactic shock.
Did You Know: Do wasps bite or do they sting? Wasps sting, but female yellow jackets are especially aggressive and will sometimes bite victims before sting

Rick
08-01-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't know if all the stuff works or not but I think it would make a great salad!

crashdive123
08-01-2009, 06:57 PM
This is what I have found that works pretty good.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/VancouverDr4515003.jpg

Rick
08-01-2009, 07:02 PM
So....if I have this figured correctly....that guy gathers up all the bees and puts them inside the cage thereby saving you from being stung. Is that right?

2dumb2kwit
08-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't know if all the stuff works or not but I think it would make a great salad!

Oh, tell the truth. You and Crash just keep coming back to this thread, to read the post about me slapping myself in the forehead with a wet paintbrush.LOL:blushing:

Rick
08-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I have to admit...I do set up late into the night visualizing that. It is pretty humorous.

Ken
08-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I have to admit...I do set up late into the night visualizing that. It is pretty humorous.

Another guy with way too much time on his hands. :innocent:

Rick
08-01-2009, 07:18 PM
No, I'm just easily entertained. Gotta go....butterflies.

crashdive123
08-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Hitting yourself in the face with a paintbrush is entirely understandable. It all stems from your childhood.

http://www.statesman.com/shared-gen/blogs/austin/360bazaar/media/MessyKids.jpg

WillDeerborn
08-01-2009, 09:58 PM
The best method I've found for bee or wasp stings is tobacco. The chemicals in tobacco (The natural ones) draw out the venom and take down the swellin'. I actually have a tin of tobacco in my 1st aid kit for minor bleeding and stings. Grandpappy knows his schnit.

Tiffany_2009
08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
EEEE...my BF is extremely allergic to bee stings and we have Epi-pens all over our house and 2 in each vehicle...guess I need to learn how to use them in case he gets stung huh :eek:

snakeman
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
i just got stung once on the nose and one on the ankle a few hours ago. I fell a tree on the nest. Fortunatley the don't bother me much. I used a natural creme called wounded warrior. it is expensive but work s great on anything from sunburn to cuts and stings. I have also heard that the meat tenderizer works well. for a natural remedy. tannic acid from boiling acorn husks or hardwood bark is supposed to be good used as a poultice.