PDA

View Full Version : A Kukri ROCKS!

hoosierarcher
07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Picked up an Cold Steel ATC kukri made of Carbon V steel(man oh man I hate that no one makes this steel anymore).
Anyway I took it camping last weekend. Cut through a 6" standing but dead hickory as quick as an axe, then split the sawed logs just as slick as you please. Now for the rest of the story...It barely had an edge, I had spent a week cleaning up years of rust and corrosion from neglect from the previous owner and took it from butter knife dull to a just barely working edge(I thought) But it was the design that made it perform so well. I also can tell as a personal defense weapon this thing will strike terror into the heart of any person you face with it in your hand. I'm sending it to 8 Dollar Mountain Forge for one of his D hand gaurd (Trench knife knuckle duster) grips. No wonder Ghurkas cause Taliban fighters to run( lay them face down and beg their British officers to let them behead them with a single blow of their Kukris.)

Rick
07-24-2009, 03:01 PM
this thing will strike terror into the heart of any person you face with it in your hand.

I don't know. At my age about the only thing that strikes terror anymore is the discovery that I'm 5 minutes away from a bathroom with a four minute need.

Ken
07-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't know. At my age about the only thing that strikes terror anymore is the discovery that I'm 5 minutes away from a bathroom with a four minute need.

Well, it Depends, doesn't it?

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/siteimages/large/Depend-fitted-briefs.jpg

http://www.brendancalling.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/vitter-diaper2.JPG

Rick
07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I'd be angry over that if it weren't true, dang it.

Blood Groove
07-31-2009, 11:13 PM
"A kukri ROCKS" Amen Amen! Ever since I bought the Ka-bar kukri (and since then a hand forged gurkha kukri) I've relized that they are an INCREDIBLE cutting tool. It can out chop blades far longer than it. The momentum, and curve of the blade is amazing. I truly love kukris. I know that a lot of people will disagree but I think that a kukri would be a great survival knife. It can chop big stuff very quickly to make shelter, mine is certainly sharp enough to make fuzz sticks or whatever you want to make. With delicate cuts you can also do fairly precise carving with them (I've been working on that for a while) But also traditional kukris do come with a smaller blade for skinning animals, preparing food or whatever else really delicate work you need. plus it also comes with another knife of sorts that's dull but very hard, and is good for taking burs of the kukri and can also strike sparts when combine with flint. I mean how can you go wrong with that?

hoosierarcher
02-01-2010, 03:13 AM
Well I had to put the 8 Dollar Mt. Forge grip on hold. I've brought the edge up somemore. One down side to this ATC is large blades like this are more difficult to sharpen. Not impossibly tough just more so than smaller knives.

klkak
02-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Carbon V Steel.

Carbon V is a trademarked term by Cold Steel, and as such is not necessarily one particular kind of steel; rather, it describes whatever steel Cold Steel happens to be using at that time, and there is an indication they do change steels from time to time. Carbon V performs roughly between 1095-ish and O-1-ish, and rusts like O-1 as well. There have been rumors that Carbon V is O-1 or 1095. Numerous industry insiders insist it is 0170-6. Some spark tests seem to point the finger at 50100-B. Since 50100-B and 0170-6 are the same steel.

klkak
02-02-2010, 11:20 PM
This one could be moved to the knife thread.