PDA

View Full Version : Taurus "JUDGE" 3" .410 shot shell REVOLVER

Sourdough
07-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Could be an interesting tool for someone living in an apartment in a big city. I don't want to own one, but would like to put a few boxes of ammo through one.

Ken
07-24-2009, 07:26 AM
I'd also like to try one out. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

Pal334
07-24-2009, 07:46 AM
I have seen a few videos on "youtube" about it. Looks like a real nice toy. Makes a huge boom, and must be fun, but not certain that I would find it useful. But that is what makes the world go round.

Rick
07-24-2009, 07:55 AM
I've looked at those a number of times. It seems that most of the gun shops around here carry them. I've never shot one though.

Mountain Man
07-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Would be "cool" to have, not something I'd use for home defense or really any type of protection.

sgtdraino
07-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a similar revolver, the "Thunder Five," which can shoot up to 3" .410 shells, or .45LC. Or, you can swap the cylinder and fire .45-70 rifle shells!

Unfortunately the barrel length is miniscule, and the accuracy is pretty ridiculous. The Judge does look like it might have a long enough barrel to be a bit more useful to me. I might trade out if I find a 3" version.

...although it is my wife's favorite gun that I own, specifically because she loves the way it fires those giant rifle rounds!

It's mostly an amusing conversation piece.

The Judge:

http://mossycreekcustom.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/the-judge.jpg

The Thunder Five:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=2100

I wonder if Taurus is still making this version:

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/taurus4410bace.jpg

glockcop
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I have a buddy who has two of them. The recoil is not as bad as one might expect but the penetration is sadly lacking for self defense due to low velocity IMO. The pattern spreads too quickly also. Cool novelty but it is not very practicle. The darned thing is too big to carry concealed comfortably too.

Ole WV Coot
07-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm like Hope, would like to play with one just for the fun of it. I have only a couple of gun stores around and would have to find someone who owns one.

welderguy
07-27-2009, 11:31 PM
I like the looks of The Thunder Five better than the taurus.

Sourdough
07-28-2009, 06:49 AM
I have a similar revolver, the "Thunder Five," which can shoot up to 3" .410 shells, or .45LC.....although it is my wife's favorite gun that I own, specifically because she loves the way it fires those giant rifle rounds!

Have you ever used the triple ought (000) Buckshot loads.....? The 3" .410 holds FIVE .330 caliber lead balls. Winchester sells the load. I did some pattern work with them out of a SXS Fox, very impressive how tight they stayed.

sgtdraino
07-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Have you ever used the triple ought (000) Buckshot loads.....? The 3" .410 holds FIVE .330 caliber lead balls. Winchester sells the load. I did some pattern work with them out of a SXS Fox, very impressive how tight they stayed.

Sweet. No, around here I have only been able to find the 2.5" ones, and I haven't ever gotten around to ordering 3" ones.

I am guessing the pattern is probably not going to be as tight, out of one of these pistols. ;)

sgtdraino
08-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I've been pondering these weapons again recently, and a thought occured to me:

How would you "experts" rate the usefulness of "The Judge" or the "Thunder Five" against a 2-shot derringer in .410 .45LC?

I would imagine a derringer would be significantly lighter and less bulky, fewer moving parts, and almost half the ammo capacity. I can't imagine it could be any less accurate, either.

Thoughts?

glockcop
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM

How would you "experts" rate the usefulness of "The Judge" or the "Thunder Five" against a 2-shot derringer in .410 .45LC?

I would imagine a derringer would be significantly lighter and less bulky, fewer moving parts, and almost half the ammo capacity. I can't imagine it could be any less accurate, either.

Thoughts?

You just about summed it up. I can tell you this much though; the revolver would be alot easier to shoot. I have shot both types of weapons mentioned and the derringers are violent to shoot. Not exactly a shoot all day fun gun for sure. Best.

hunter63
08-05-2009, 11:25 AM

Thoughts?

I have had one of the derringer's and you are correct, they kick like a mule, and don't point at the ground too close, you will hit your foot.

I use it as a truck/tackle box gun, have used it for snakes.
I bought it for $100 bucks, only because it was cool (long way past need, into want, now).
I asked the gun dealer what the heck you would use it for, and he said, "shooting rabbits out the truck window, in the grader ditch. Why do you think they invented power windows".

Have shot, .45 colt, .410 shot, slugs, and 000 buck.
The 000 buck is what I would use for self protection, you don't have to be too accurate.
That said, I wouldn't spend the money for the Taurus, or any other type of these, but the gun companies need to make money too, so if you like it, go for it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/PICT0533crop-1.jpg