PDA

View Full Version : Permanganate fire starter

FVR
10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
If any of ya'll been wondering about this because you saw Les do it. Forget it! Freak'n stuff is dangerous.

I am doing a 200 gal perm. injection on a contaminated dry cleaner site. Basically, it just eats up the contamination. I dilute it 3 to 1.

Well, first off it's purple and stains your skin. It does not wash off.

2nd, don't get it in your eyes, it's an oxidizer and you will need 911 asap.

3rd, don't even think of carrying it in your pack in a little glass vile. Why, because if the vile breaks, your clothes, papers, or any wood will start smoking and get really hot. Yeh, got some on a rag, put the purple rag in a bucket, 5 minutes later the bucket is smoking as the permang. is just cooking the rag. I am wearing leather gloves, I pick up the rag, freak'n thing is super hot, no flames yet just alot of smoke.

Also, you need to keep it away from metal (aka metal container) as it's an oxidizer and eats it.

4th, if it breaks in your pack, besides the heat, the stain, the burning, you better hope you don't have any peroxide based first aid cream. Cause it will explode.

5th, this stuff is just too unstable to be carrying in a pack. If you want to risk it, it's your health. As for me, I'll take my chances with a firebow. Heck of alot safer.

6th, you need to keep it away from any petroleum products, aka lighters, fuel, alcohol, etc.

Some things are better left to tv.

Merlin
10-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Well unless I have missed the mark ... don that before... you do not carry as a liquid but as dry powder form below is the dry mix
Aluminum, 40-270 mesh 20
Magnesium, 3-10 mesh 25
Magnesium, 10-60 mesh 40
Iron oxide, red 40
Potassium permanganate 125
Glycerin (keep separate) add later when you want instaneous combustion:eek::eek::cool::D
So remember just so it was on the TV dose not make it so or they do not tell the whole story they like to leave out a few facts to make it more

warrigal
10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't rely on it mainly because it is getting harder to get here ( there is talk of making it a controlled substance). But a 60/40 mix with sugar, pile your tinder under and around and have some ready to throw on top, then grind it between a (flat) rock and the butt of your knife obviously don't use a lot ( half a teaspoon will give you flame) and don't carry it premixed.
Carl

MCBushbaby
10-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I've used KMnO4 in microbiology staining and certain qualitative analysis in other fields but I'll never use it in the bush. In addition to the warnings you've already posted, there are far better alternatives to Glycerin (laxative) and KMnO4 (antiseptic) in your first aid kit.

FVR
10-17-2007, 06:57 PM
The stuff I'm using is already a controlled substance.

It's just plain nasty, comes as a liquid in 55 gal. drums.

Did I mention it's just plain nasty.

HOP
10-21-2007, 09:28 AM
That stuff sounds like it is beter left alone insted of in the wilderness where if you are hurt help is a long way off.

woodwose
10-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Well unless I have missed the mark ... don that before... you do not carry as a liquid but as dry powder form below is the dry mix
Aluminum, 40-270 mesh 20
Magnesium, 3-10 mesh 25
Magnesium, 10-60 mesh 40
Iron oxide, red 40
Potassium permanganate 125
Glycerin (keep separate) add later when you want instaneous combustion:eek::eek::cool::D
So remember just so it was on the TV dose not make it so or they do not tell the whole story they like to leave out a few facts to make it more
I was reading the other post on this and thinking that it had to be mixed with anti-freeze or something.. haven't tried it yet. Hope you don't mean that it is flammable in dry form in a container (non breakable of course). Actually, what I read was that it has to heat up to 451 degrees F. to ignite paper. That is from the SAS Essential Survival book. Also, it takes about a minute for it to do that. Anybody know anything different?

FVR
10-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Got it on a rag, the rag started to smoke, I picked up the rag and could feel the heat through my leather gloves.

MSDS basically telly you to keep it away from peroxides, flammables, paper, wood, cotton, don't even get it close to H2SO4, make a nice death gas.

Stay awwaaaaayyyyyyy, staaaayyyyyy awaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.