PDA

View Full Version : Buying ammo you have no firearm for.

welderguy
07-23-2009, 10:35 AM
I seem to find myself doing this alot, whenever I find ammo cheap i buy it, like some 7.9 turk rounds, 44spcl, 9mm largo, and some 300 win mag.
What ya all think should I put up a local ad to trade it for usable ammo, or should I just sit on it and keep adding to the pile.

Ken
07-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I seem to find myself doing this alot, whenever I find ammo cheap i buy it, like some 7.9 turk rounds, 44spcl, 9mm largo, and some 300 win mag.
What ya all think should I put up a local ad to trade it for usable ammo, or should I just sit on it and keep adding to the pile.

I've got a bit of ammo for guns other than my own as well. Never bought any, just got it recently from folks who couldn't have it anymore. (nice .50 cal belt with 27 rounds, about 100 rounds of .223......) I figure I'll just trade it for stuff I can use.

http://www.raymills.co.uk/pictures/ammo/No.%2005%20-%20Inert%2050%20Cal%20on%20link.jpg

welderguy
07-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I never get lucky and get ammo free just really cheap.

Ken
07-23-2009, 10:50 AM
How about 650 rds. of .9mm AE 124 g FMJ and 300 rds. of .9mm Remington UMC 115 g MC? - Free! :)

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
I can hear it now;

I got the DA to agree to a suspended sentence, if you'll plead guilty to this felony charge. Now, as a convicted felon, you'll have to get rid of all your firearms and ammo......but I can help you out, with that.:innocent:

welderguy
07-23-2009, 11:03 AM
How about 650 rds. of .9mm AE 124 g FMJ and 300 rds. of .9mm Remington UMC 115 g MC? - Free! :)

:cursing:Oh cool good for you yep Im jumping for joy.:censored:
But i am drooling over the 50 cal

Ken
07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I can hear it now;

I got the DA to agree to a suspended sentence, if you'll plead guilty to this felony charge. Now, as a convicted felon, you'll have to get rid of all your firearms and ammo......but I can help you out, with that.:innocent:

Nope. We NEVER plead guilty to a felony charge. NEVER.

EDIT: Unless the client insists on it. Very few of those cases. Today, you're practically forced to go to trial on most felony caes, except for the ones that get reduced to misdemeanors, which is the majority of them.

Ken
07-23-2009, 11:06 AM

I'm positive I'll never be needing it.

welderguy
07-23-2009, 11:07 AM

Me either but I still want some LOL

Ken
07-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I can hear it now;

You wouldn't believe just how many people want to get rid of the stuff.

A few of the handguns I've picked up along the way came "sanitized" in brown paper bags with specific instructions to turn them over to the police, which is exactly what I did. There's NO WAY I want those things in my possession - 'nuff said. With attorney-client priviledge, the guns just get turned in with NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

Broke my heart to have to turn a couple of them in. But the ammo and some of the firearms- I get to keep them - all transferred nice and legal through an FFL!

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
You wouldn't believe just how many people want to get rid of the stuff.

A few of the handguns I've picked up along the way came "sanitized" in brown paper bags with specific instructions to turn them over to the police, which is exactly what I did. There's NO WAY I want those things in my possession - 'nuff said. With attorney-client priviledge, the guns just get turned in with NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

Broke my heart to have to turn a couple of them in. But the ammo and some of the firearms- I get to keep them - all transferred nice and legal through an FFL!

I was just messin' with ya, but I imagine that in your line of work, you see and hear all kinds of things! LOL

welderguy
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
thats what i need to do figure out a way i can do my own legal gun buy back program.

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
:cursing:Oh cool good for you yep Im jumping for joy.:censored:

I had the chance to shoot a .50 cal handgun, a while back.(.50 AE Desert Eagle)

I passed. I'll let the Rambo types have the hand-cannons! I have nothing to prove, to anyone. LOL

Ken
07-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Had a friend, former Det. Sgt., who enlisted me to help him pick-up over 30 firearms - all types and all in great condition with loads of ammo- in the middle of a raging blizzard in 1981.

A man in a neighboring town (not the Det. Sgt.'s town) had committed suicide, and his wife just wanted the guns gone - didn't want to sell them, just wanted them gone. She even refused an offer of payment. My friend scored HUGE, and the lady still couldn't thank him enough for helping her.

He bought me a coffee and a donut (of course) for helping him.

welderguy
07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Had a friend, former Det. Sgt., who enlisted me to help him pick-up over 30 firearms - all types and all in great condition with loads of ammo- in the middle of a raging blizzard in 1981.

A man in a neighboring town (not the Det. Sgt.'s town) had committed suicide, and his wife just wanted the guns gone - didn't want to sell them, just wanted them gone. She even refused an offer of payment. My friend scored HUGE, and the lady still couldn't thank him enough for helping her.

He bought me a coffee and a donut (of course) for helping him.

At least he gave you a donut

Ken
07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I was just messin' with ya, but I imagine that in your line of work, you see and hear all kinds of things! LOL

And I can't even write a book about most of it.......

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2009, 11:27 AM
thats what i need to do figure out a way i can do my own legal gun buy back program.

I have thought about going to some of these "buy back" days, and stand in the parking lot, to try and save some nice guns.
It's bad enough, thinking about nice guns being destroyed, but think about some of the historical stuff. You know...like getting rid of granpa's old rifle. (A Mauser that he took from a Nazi, in WW2.)

welderguy
07-23-2009, 11:27 AM
And I can't even write a book about most of it.......
if ya could people would think you made most of it up

welderguy
07-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I have thought about going to some of these "buy back" days, and stand in the parking lot, to try and save some nice guns.
It's bad enough, thinking about nice guns being destroyed, but think about some of the historical stuff. You know...like getting rid of granpa's old rifle. (A Mauser that he took from a Nazi, in WW2.)

I saw on the news about one of the buy backs and as the camera panned over the pile of guns, I saw an ar-15 and a couple 1911 engraved pistols. made me sick.

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
In fact, I just missed one, a few months ago. One of the local cities was giving a $100 Wal-mart gift card for each gun, turned in. If I had known about it in time, I would have bought me 6 of those $25 throw away pistols, turned them in, and gone to Wal-mart and got me a new Mini-14!:drool:

Now that would have been a deal!!!

Ken
07-23-2009, 11:33 AM
At least he gave you a donut

It would have been a glazed all-chocolate. My favorite at the time. :innocent:

Ken
07-23-2009, 11:35 AM
if ya could people would think you made most of it up

That's an understatement. Honest.

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2009, 11:49 AM
It is my understanding that guns that are turned in to those things, by law, have to be destroyed.

I wonder how hard it would be, to have that changed.

Let a "gun expert" tag guns that have historical or collector value, and save them. They could be donated to museum's, or something along those lines.

Ken
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Depending on the "source" and the "circumstances," some guns are destroyed and others are turned over to an FFL for consignment sale with the purchase price (after "daily storage" charges, mark-up, and transfer fee are deducted) going to the owner. Result is that owner usually gets little or nothing.

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
In my post about the gift cards, I said that they gave $100 card per gun. It was actually $50 for a long gun and $100 for a handgun.
(I didn't mean to spread bad info. LOL)

welderguy
07-23-2009, 12:38 PM
In my post about the gift cards, I said that they gave $100 card per gun. It was actually $50 for a long gun and $100 for a handgun.
(I didn't mean to spread bad info. LOL)

I have a POS single action hawes 22 that needs more parts than its worth to pay to fix it so if there is ever a gun buy in my area that thing is gone if there giving something good out.

Rick
07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I didn't mean to spread bad info.

That's okay. We need only look at your name to understand........

welderguy
07-23-2009, 12:41 PM
That's okay. We need only look at your name to understand........

thats wrong FUNNY as heck tho.

LudwigVan
07-23-2009, 11:12 PM
I saw on the news about one of the buy backs and as the camera panned over the pile of guns, I saw an ar-15 and a couple 1911 engraved pistols. made me sick.

Whenever I see stuff like that I have a gut feeling that the police dept. is responsible for putting most of the really cool and "scary" looking stuff out on the table for the media to take pictures of. Some of it could be coming out of thier out of thier own weapons cage for a photo op for all anyone knows, especially in california where they like to show off how many "illegal assault weapons" they are pulling in :rolleyes:

Gun buybacks are probably havens for gun thiefs I suspect. They probably don't care that the guns are worth more than a $100 gift card to a store, it's stolen so it's profit anyway...

welderguy
07-23-2009, 11:18 PM
from what i understood they were running the serial numbers

LudwigVan
07-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Well I was mainly talking about the "no questions asked" gun buybacks you used to see, I don't know if they still do those as often though.

oldsoldier
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM

Ken If you ever get down this way bring the ammo and I'll loan you my barrett for a couple of hours.

Ken
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Ken If you ever get down this way bring the ammo and I'll loan you my barrett for a couple of hours.

:clap: 13 rounds each! I'll flip you for the odd round.

oldsoldier
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Welderguy.... I grab up every bit of ammo i can get my hands on. Be it at a yard sale or what ever. If/when TSHTF it will be good for barter if nothing else. I went to a yard sale last saturday and one place the guy had 1 1/2 boxes of.38 about 30 rounds of .357 and 2 boxes of .45 acp he was asking $5.00 for all of it. i got it for $3(I don't own any of these calibers) but for $3.00 as I said good barter.

Stony
07-24-2009, 05:57 PM
10+ years ago I got a few boxes of Norma 9.5 x 57 in hope I get me a rifle build for it.
Still hoping.

crashdive123
07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
I do not buy ammunition in calibers that I don't own. I do however have some ammunition in calibers that I used to own. (Anybody going to the Indiana Jamboree need some .41 mag?)

OICU812
07-25-2009, 12:39 AM
One way you know you have it bad is after you buy the ammo and it sits for months on a shelf then you start looking for a firearm that you can marry them up to!

Rick
07-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't buy stuff I can't use, either and I would never barter ammo. That could come back to haunt you.

oldsoldier
07-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I would never barter ammo. That could come back to haunt you.

True now but in a "post apolyptic world" it could mean eating or not or having heating fuel or not or........

crashdive123
07-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Well the, I suppose I’ll have to cancel my move to that post apocalyptic neighborhood. Darn it! The prices were so sweet.

arkvile
07-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Question, for a newb to guns, like myself, is ammo one of those things that can just sit around for a long time? Talkin', shelf-life etc. etc.

Just curious....

Ken
07-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Question, for a newb to guns, like myself, is ammo one of those things that can just sit around for a long time? Talkin', shelf-life etc. etc.

Just curious....

Yep. Just keep it dry and it's usually good to go for several years. I've fired 15+ year old ammo with no problems at all. If there was any degradation, I didn't notice it.

arkvile
07-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Yep. Just keep it dry and it's usually good to go for several years. I've fired 15+ year old ammo with no problems at all. If there was any degradation, I didn't notice it.

sweeet. thanks for the info Ken.

Rick
07-26-2009, 12:42 PM
As long as it isn't corroded it should be okay. Keep it stored in a dry place and you should be fine.

mcfd45
07-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a small question I was thinking (very scary) and was wondering how i could make money on those buybacks. Classic arms has pistol frames at the bottom of their page for around 12 bucks. They have a serial number so the require a FFL to transfer. it is sort of like a lower receiver for an AR15. do you think i could get money for them? It would pay off if i could. any thoughts?
Jeff

Ken
07-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I have a small question I was thinking (very scary) and was wondering how i could make money on those buybacks. Classic arms has pistol frames at the bottom of their page for around 12 bucks. They have a serial number so the require a FFL to transfer. it is sort of like a lower receiver for an AR15. do you think i could get money for them? It would pay off if i could. any thoughts?
Jeff

The FFL transfer fee (up here, anywhere - not sure if it's uniform nationwide) is $40.00. Add that to the $12.00 cost and your investment is up to $52.00. The buybacks generally pay around $50.00........

Mountain Man
07-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I have gotten ammo I didn't have a gun for but it was only because I new I was going to buy the gun some day... some of that ammo you have the guns are not to common??? 7.9?

Stony
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
the 7.9mm Turk are commonly known as 8mm Turk, and rifles are to be had for it.
look at marstar's website, he may have some.

one current calibre that is hard to find is 358 Win.

welderguy
07-27-2009, 11:17 AM
The FFL transfer fee (up here, anywhere - not sure if it's uniform nationwide) is $40.00. Add that to the $12.00 cost and your investment is up to $52.00. The buybacks generally pay around $50.00........

wow 40.00 for a transfer, I was complaining about 20.00, then I found a pawn shop that does them for 10.00

Stony
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
ok, here is the dirt on the 8mm Turk,
the original Turkish (mauser) calibre was 7.65 x 53.
during WW 1 they changes over to 7.92 x 57 (a.k.a. 8mm Mauser).
so the 7.9 mm Turk can be fires in 8mm Mauser rifles.

RobertRogers
07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
It's like when you get arrested, the news will graphically portray how 6 guns and 30,000 rounds of ammunition were found in your home - as though you were planning a war.

Sounds about right for the average hunter in my area.

2dumb2kwit
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
wow 40.00 for a transfer, I was complaining about 20.00, then I found a pawn shop that does them for 10.00

The 2 shop's that are closest to me, charge $25 for a long gun, and $50 for a hand gun.:sneaky2:

crashdive123
07-27-2009, 04:19 PM
It's like when you get arrested, the news will graphically portray how 6 guns and 30,000 rounds of ammunition were found in your home - as though you were planning a war.

Sounds about right for the average hunter in my area.

Ha, Ha.....I guess they didn't look very hard.:lol:

SARKY
07-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't just have ammo for guns I don't own, I have reloading componets and reloading dies for guns I don't own, but then I used to do a lot of reloading for my buddies in the Navy. It paid for all that stuff.

welderguy
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't just have ammo for guns I don't own, I have reloading componets and reloading dies for guns I don't own, but then I used to do a lot of reloading for my buddies in the Navy. It paid for all that stuff.

I dont have reloading components for guns I dont have, but I do have parts for guns I dont have.LOL