PDA

View Full Version : Super Hawg

Pal334
07-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I have long been a devotee of the plain jane 1911 cal. 45acp. Always works and just ugly enough to love. I have recently been contemplating a longer slide version. Specifically the Super Hawg by Para USA
http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=71

My question to our illustrious council of Wise men and women ( or is it wise guys and gals?) is, have any of you used a "long slide" .45 cal pistol, what is your experience with this type (not necessarily this brand)? The carry of it will be exposed, most likely a chest holster.The caliber is not the question ,that is cast in granite in my opinion, and usage. My handling of a sample did not include usage, just fondling its lines and drooling a little :drool:. Just trying to get some "hands on" feed back.

Sourdough
07-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I would get at least 3 and maybe 5 spare magazines. Yes, they are $49.95 retail. But if they quit making them they could be $250.00 each. Never shot it, like it, like the idea, have shot other long-slides and like them, for their stability, and sight radius. I am currently shopping for a long-slide Glock in 40S&W the model-24 or maybe the model-35.

Ken
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
*wiping the tears away* I once had a .45 Colt Combat Commander. Man, I miss that gun.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/Series_70_Combat_Commander_450.jpg

Pal334
07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I would get at least 3 and maybe 5 spare magazines. Yes, they are $49.95 retail. But if they quit making them they could be $250.00 each. Never shot it, like it, like the idea, have shot other long-slides and like them, for their stability, and sight radius. I am currently shopping for a long-slide Glock in 40S&W the model-24 or maybe the model-35.

Thats what I was thinking, I am not so concerned about the price for the magazines, just want to have them before they get banned or something. THat extra inch of slide and barrel seems to make alot of difference. And with a little practice, my "paws" should fit it just right. And if the first 15 .45s don't "get er done", then it probably doesn't need to be done

Pal334
07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
*wiping the tears away* I once had a .45 Colt Combat Commander. Man, I miss that gun.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/Series_70_Combat_Commander_450.jpg

There, there,, you can always buy another

Ken
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
There, there,, you can always buy another

*sniff, sniff* But it's not the same...........

I got mine from my brother when I was about 24. I qualified as an expert with it on a police combat range. About 12 years later, I traded it back to my brother for a Sig. He then sold the Colt to a Philippine Army General who later wrote him a letter saying the gun had saved his life. Seems he used it to dispatch a few insurgents in the jungle..

Pal334
07-22-2009, 03:00 PM
*sniff, sniff* But it's not the same...........

I got mine from my brother when I was about 24. I qualified as an expert with it on a police combat range. About 12 years later, I traded it back to my brother for a Sig. He then sold the Colt to a Philippine Army General who later wrote him a letter saying the gun had saved his life. Seems he used it to dispatch a few insurgents in the jungle..

Well,, I guess that should learn ya something. I have never sold a weapon or a tool in my life, I guess I am just a pack rat at heart. Has caused domestic dis harmony on occassion, but she has gotten used to it

Pal334
07-22-2009, 03:03 PM

I looked those Glocks up, and they are sweet looking. I just am stuck on the .45. Before I started to search, I never realized how many make a long slide.
http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/17l/index.htm
And the price is not so bad:
Glock: Glock G35 Long Slide Practical Tactical Size 40 S&W
Price: $648.00

Ken
07-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Well,, I guess that should learn ya something. I have never sold a weapon or a tool in my life, I guess I am just a pack rat at heart. Has caused domestic dis harmony on occassion, but she has gotten used to it

I never get rid of ANYTHNG. The only reason I parted with the .45 is that I got it from my brother in the first place, and being my brother and all.......

I'm sorry. *blows nose - wipes away more tears* I'll be okay in a few minutes.

Pal334
07-22-2009, 03:45 PM
I never get rid of ANYTHNG. The only reason I parted with the .45 is that I got it from my brother in the first place, and being my brother and all.......

I'm sorry. *blows nose - wipes away more tears* I'll be okay in a few minutes.

Maybe we should go into the "stuff collection" business. Only "stuff" that goes BOOM or makes manly noises :)

Sourdough
07-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Before I started to search, I never realized how many make a long slide.

An other small advantage to long-slides is they have a slight political correctness.........I figured if I was going to get the model 22 which has a 5.5# Trigger pull, might as well get the competition model with 4.5# trigger pull, and the theory that it is built for pistol competition shooting, and not intended for shooting fellow humans.

Ken
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Pal, about this move I'm making across state lines........

Lets just say that I won't be completely moved in until I build at least a 40' x 25' storage shed to hold the things I won't be able to fit in a soon-to-be 16-room house with an attic, a 2-car garage, and an old dilapidated 5-room shed out back.

And then I'll need to figure out a place to keep all the new stuff I'll be getting for the new place. Maybe I should just go with a 40' x 50' "shed" ......:innocent:

Pal334
07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
An other small advantage to long-slides is they have a slight political correctness.........I figured if I was going to get the model 22 which has a 5.5# Trigger pull, might as well get the competition model with 4.5# trigger pull, and the story that it is built for pistol competition shooting, and not intended for shooting fellow humans.

:innocent: And who could have thought any different?:angel:

Pal334
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Pal, about this move I'm making across state lines........

Lets just say that I won't be completely moved in until I build at least a 40' x 25' storage shed to hold the things I won't be able to fit in a soon-to-be 16-room house with an attic, a 2-car garage, and an old dilapidated 5-room shed out back.

And then I'll need to figure out a place to keep all the new stuff I'll be getting for the new place. Maybe I should just go with a 40' x 50' "shed" ......:innocent:

I hereby rescind my offer!!! I believe, Sir ,that you could be labeled as "risking a catastrophe" in many municipalities!!

Ken
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I hereby rescind my offer!!! I believe, Sir ,that you could be labeled as "risking a catastrophe" in many municipalities!!

Nah, most of the stuff doesn't go "boom."

Pal334
07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Nah, most of the stuff doesn't go "boom."

Just enough goes "boom" to make it fun?:sailor:

Ken
07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Just enough goes "boom" to make it fun?:sailor:

Oh, without a doubt! LOTS of fun!