PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Proposal

Pal334
07-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Will be interesting to see how far this will get. I am amazed that in the current Politicaly Correct environment that is even being considered.

Thune, Lautenberg Clash on Concealed-Carry Gun Proposal
July 20, 2009 03:14 PM ET | Paul Bedard | Permanent Link | Print
By Paul Bedard, Washington Whispers

A pitched fight over handguns takes place in the Senate this week as gun control advocates move to block an amendment to the defense authorization bill that would allow armed citizens with state-approved concealed-carry permits to cross into another state that also allows the carrying of concealed weapons. The reciprocity amendment is being offered by South Dakota Sen. John Thune, who says it would require those crossing into a neighboring state to follow the rules governing concealed weapons in those localities. "My legislation enables citizens to protect themselves while respecting individual state firearms laws," said Thune. He should know: Thune has his South Dakota carry permit. His amendment is backed by the NRA, Gun Owners of America, and six other gun groups.

Opposition, however, is fierce. Already groups opposed to the amendment have begun running ads and penning letters to lawmakers urging a "No" vote. Sen. Frank Lautenberg, the New Jersey Democrat who has long fought gun groups, tomorrow is planning to launch his retaliation at a press conference. "Trumping state laws to allow concealed weapons to be carried by almost anybody in any state is an egregious threat to communities all across the country," he told us today. "This amendment is just another attempt by the gun lobby to put its radical agenda ahead of safety and security in our communities." His office released a letter from the International Association of Chiefs of Police opposing the legislation, claiming that it might override different state laws that limit who can carry a concealed weapon. He also released a letter from the mayors of more than 400 cities and towns that claims the Thune "concealed-carry amendment" would infringe on state laws.

Thune, however, chairman of the Republican Policy Conference, said that his amendment won't do that. Said spokesman Kyle Downey: "Senator Thune doesn't believe your constitutional rights should cease to exist when you cross the state border." Thune also said that he's pushing the amendment because it could cut crime and save lives.

Rick
07-22-2009, 09:08 AM
You can read Sen. Thune's letter to the editor of the New York Times here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/opinion/lweb22gun.html

Ken
07-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I think we just found ourselves a running mate for Hope.

Top it off - let it idle
07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Seems like a reasonable thing... if I'm reading this right... if I have a concealed carry permit at home and cross into a state where concealed carry is permitted, as long as I abide by that states concealed carry law, they will honor my permit. And this is bad how?

I'm constantly confused by laws aimed a people trying to abide by the law. What I want to see are the statistics on gun violence where crimes were committed by individuals who legally owned a registered gun and had a concealed carry permit compared to crimes where the gun was illegally obtained and concealed without a permit. Any guesses on what those stats would look like. That something is illegal is a detail that most criminals by definition tend to overlook.

doug1980
07-22-2009, 12:16 PM
All guns and gun owners are bad.... Just something else for those "suits" to argue about. Not like there are more important issues to focus on like... the War, Education, where Michael Jackson was buried....you know the important stuff.

SARKY
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
If the morons in New Jersey don't want to allow resiprocity for the ccw of another state, then i think that these states shouldn't allow for the resiprocity of NJ drivers license. Deal with that NJ!
Just a note, I was born in NJ. When they decided to institute a slaes tax in NJ, people were screaming "don't let them do it , it will only continue to go up" where as the politicians were saying but it's only 1% and we'll never need to increase it. A liar is a liar is a liar!

sgtdraino
07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
His office released a letter from the International Association of Chiefs of Police opposing the legislation,

It really irritates me these politicians who reference the position of the IACP, the implication that this is the way law enforcement feels on the subject.

The IACP is a routinely liberal organization whose opinions very often conflict with the way most police officers feel.

crashdive123
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately it did not get cloture today (got 58 votes, needed 60). Hopefully Thune will continue his efforts.

Pal334
07-22-2009, 01:51 PM
THat is a whole lot closer than I would ever have expected it to be. Perhaps there will be another go around. And I agree with SARKY, I am a current New Jersey resident. And our "Honorable" MR Lautenberg is so old and feeble, he probably already forgot the subject :)

Rick
07-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, we did win the right to carry in Federal Parks and refuges. And this was pretty darn close. Let's home the tide keeps running in our favor.