PDA

View Full Version : 22LR & 22Mag Revolver

Mountain Man
07-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I want to get a revolver and cylinders for the 22LR and 22MAg... which revolver should I get? Ruger probably, but not sure which model :)

Enlighten me! I've heard of a 10rnd (22lR) one but don't know anything about the 22 revolvers.

I`d also be interested in hearing about 17HMR Revolvers too... (not just a cylinder swap as I dont think that'd work to well).

Ole WV Coot
07-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Revolver is Ruger Single Six. Has 22 & 22mag cylinders with purchase. 6 rounds per cylinder, suggest SS. Ruger pistols have magazines,don't know of any that have a 22 magazine. The revolver with adjustable sights is probably the best bet, SA with a hammer block so you can load the full six safely.

SARKY
07-19-2009, 12:12 AM
The super single six (and I would recommend getting it in stainless in the 7.5 inch barrel with adjustable sights) can be had in either the .22lr with the .22 mag cylinder or it can be had in the .17mach2 with the .17 HMR cylinder. As much as I like the .17s in a rifle, I think you lose too much velocity and energy using the 17s in a revolver.

glockcop
07-20-2009, 12:53 AM
The super single six (and I would recommend getting it in stainless in the 7.5 inch barrel with adjustable sights) can be had in either the .22lr with the .22 mag cylinder or it can be had in the .17mach2 with the .17 HMR cylinder. As much as I like the .17s in a rifle, I think you loose too much velocity and energy using the 17s in a revolver.

I agree 100% with the recommendation of the stainless Single Six in 22 LR / 22 Mag. I have one with a 6 1/2" barrel and would not trade it for any other 22 out there. It's versitility outpaces anything else on the market for work on rural property, woods bumming, or small game. Damn accurate too. Best

OICU812
07-22-2009, 12:28 AM
I also agree on the single-six convertiable hard to find anything else other than a Hertiage Rough Rider which is not bad for the price(I have one)but its not in tune with the Rugers.

Old GI
09-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Yowsah! Yowsah! Yowsah! My only exception to my 1911 rule. The magnum is incredble.

I agree 100% with the recommendation of the stainless Single Six in 22 LR / 22 Mag. I have one with a 6 1/2" barrel and would not trade it for any other 22 out there. It's versitility outpaces anything else on the market for work on rural property, woods bumming, or small game. Damn accurate too. Best

glockcop
09-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Yowsah! Yowsah! Yowsah! My only exception to my 1911 rule. The magnum is incredble.

A man after my own heart except for the 1911 thing :). I actually do like the 1911. I just don't think it is for everyone except for dedicated individuals. My criticism of it's "shortcommings" have lead some to believe that I do not like it. Not true. These shortcommings are just my opinion and others will defend it with ferver. I personally could care less what anyone except for "MY" officers carry. If it works for you because you have dedicated yourself to safe training, go for it. Most persons in my experience get their ccw and qualify that one time and very rarely shoot after that. These are the same persons that buy an uber cool 1911 and forget how to use the damn thing for lack of farmilarization and training. IMO the 1911 has a more complex manual of arms than other competeing designs and it must be learned by meaningful repitition and "intense" training. Have fun with your smoker, Brother and be safe. Sorry for getting off topic Mountain Man. Best.

pgvoutdoors
09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Years ago I had a Ruger revolver in the 22LR & 22 mag. Used it to shoot old bottles down at the dump. It was blued, nice classic looking revolver. Dependable as the day is long.

dscrick
09-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Awhile back I picked up (used) a Smith & Wesson model 48 revolver, 6 inch barrel, in .22 magnum, the previous owner had sent it back to S&W and had a second cylinder in .22 LR fitted. I don't know what he paid but I hear S&W will still do it. It is one of the best shooting revolvers in either caliber I've owned.

glockcop
09-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Awhile back I picked up (used) a Smith & Wesson model 48 revolver, 6 inch barrel, in .22 magnum, the previous owner had sent it back to S&W and had a second cylinder in .22 LR fitted. I don't know what he paid but I hear S&W will still do it. It is one of the best shooting revolvers in either caliber I've owned.

I have a S&W 617 in .22 lr and love it. The trigger is perfect and it is very accurate. I rank the Single Six a little higher on the versatility scale because I like to carry the magnum cyl. in the weapon while hunting. The S&W is a little more nicely finished and fit is about the same between the two. I do like your aquisition of a second cyl. fitted for .22 mag though. I may look into that for my 617. The bore might be a little tight since it was origionally speced to .22 lr. The mag round is slighly larger in diameter. I know it would probably be safe but accuracy may suffer. The Single Six's bore is actually speced to .22 mag so it is in all actuality a .22 mag pistol with a spare .22lr cyl. Not the other way around like Ruger markets it. Enjoy your Smith, she's really nice. I'm almost a little jealous :). Best

Rick
09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I also have the Ruger Single Six in blued format. Love it.

hunter63
09-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Rodger on the Ruger Single Six, have had mine for a long time and is one of my most shot tools.

While hunting in Wyoming, the land owner and his boys, all carried one for a belt gun, bobcats, coyotes, other vermin.
They were worn almost silver and had the .22 mag cylinder.

glockcop
09-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Rodger on the Ruger Single Six, have had mine for a long time and is one of my most shot tools.

While hunting in Wyoming, the land owner and his boys, all carried one for a belt gun, bobcats, coyotes, other vermin.
They were worn almost silver and had the .22 mag cylinder.

Sounds like those wyoming boys know what the hell they are doing. I use mine extensively in the field for everything from controlling rabbits, taking squirells for the stew pot, putting down wounded game, and even used it to keep my butt unbitten from dogs and snakes. Killed two gators with mine in one day. Man they tasted good :). The LR cyl. is for fun, the Mag cyl. is for serious work. Gotta love the ultra versatile Single Six.

Mertell
09-25-2009, 08:27 AM
The Ruger Single Six is the standard by which others are judged: there is nothing better.

Harrington and Richardson made a similar model which is much lighter. (I wish I had one.)

I am a fan of both

Pict
09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
I cut my teeth on a Single Six.

I have a 6.5 inch and it is by far the most versatile .22 hunting revolver out there. The ability to go from .22 CB's to JHP .22 Magnum is truly useful over the broad range of problems that this revolver can solve.

Mac

dscrick
09-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Smith used to catalog a revolver like your 617 in .22 Mag, not sure if they still do. The model 48 was a .22 mag to begin with so the bore diameter problem obviosly isn't he same as with your 617. Both calibers shoot exceptionally well in the 48 I have, I suspect that is because the .22 LR rounds have a softer heel base bullet that obturates to fill the bore. I wonder if S&W would even entertain fitting a .22 magnum cylinder to your 617, you know how big corporations are with liability these days.

glockcop
09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
DSCRICK, I doubt they would even consider it either. That's OK though because I still LOVE my Single Six. There is always the option of getting a spare LR cyl and have a gunsmith bore it out to Mag. I knew of a guy that had it done to just 3 chambers and left the other three chambered in LR. That is kind of silly to me. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. I also suspect that you are correct and get good accuracy because of the bullet heel upsepting into the rifling with the soft .22 LR ammo. Hey, whatever reason, it works and that is great to have both chamberings at your disposal. Best.

Old GI
12-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Any idea on "cowboy-like" leather for the 6 1/2" single-six?

SARKY
12-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I have the Safariland and it has 42 stamped next to the brand name so I think that is the model number. Hope that helps. By the wat it is a good looking holster.

Rick
12-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Hunter - I've had mine for eons but it's a Hunter 1060 F13. I'm not certain they make the F13 anymore but I truly love mine. At the time I bought my single six I also bought the holster and it came with the belt as well. It's really quality leather. I don't know what they are like today but I"m sure pleased with mine.

http://www.huntercompany.com/western.html

My belt is very close to the 1085 model but my holster is a 1060 on the lower left.

Mischief
12-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Use a hunter 1060 on a hunter buscadero belt for my ruger single six.
Most used firearm I own and I have many
<"//SK//><