PDA

View Full Version : What would you do for real LONG term ????

Smok
10-14-2007, 05:09 AM
And I'm not talking GUNs I'm talking FOOD ??? Family and friends ??

HOP
10-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Bulk dehydrated or freeze dryed stuff and specially sealed vegtable seeds if I had a farm or retreat I would have a few animals ie rabbits , goats and chickens or other fowl according to the size of the group or my ability to store or preserve fresh food a cow and pig al the animals would be at least reproducing pairs.

MCBushbaby
10-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Depends on the area I'm in, but for the sake of argument I'll just say boreal forest.

I know about 80% of the edible plants and seeds native to my area and I know I can snare a squirrel or two in the non-winter months. I can also collect frogs, freshwater snails, and a variety of worms/insects/etc. I know how to smoke and prepare meats and store plant material for a period of months.

Because of my knowledge, I feel confident I can use a week's worth of supplies to acquire a decent amount of the aforementioned to sustain myself throughout the year. Winter would be harder and I'd probably need a rifle to take a deer or large game to sustain myself through the winter.

As for friends/family, well sure it would get lonely but the amount of time you spend constructing a permanent shelter, weaving mats, setting traps and acquiring food/water would be more than sufficient to pass the time. Bored? Make some primitive tools, make some twine, or develop your shelter into more of a solid structure.

STB
10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey

"I know how to smoke and prepare meats and store plant material for a period of months."
What is the best way to actually store food for long times in the bush? I read the book into the wild, and that was one of his big problems, he could not smoke his meat properly and it went bad on him. how do you do it? and what other ways are there to store food for long time frames.
Thanks,
andrew

ATough
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Cut it along the grains of the meat if its red, so you get small strips, then smoke it you should get the effect of jerky.

MCBushbaby
10-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Hey

"I know how to smoke and prepare meats and store plant material for a period of months."
What is the best way to actually store food for long times in the bush? I read the book into the wild, and that was one of his big problems, he could not smoke his meat properly and it went bad on him. how do you do it? and what other ways are there to store food for long time frames.
Thanks,
andrew

Cut lean meat into small ropes or thin strips. Get rid of the fat, gristle and skin... this is probably where the book guy messed up and the meat didn't properly dry. Then you can make a smoke pit or tepee, depending on your preference.

A tepee is constructed of three green sticks, lain against each other in the shape of a tepee (duh). Then use twine or other cordage and tie triangle 'shelves' between the supporting sticks. usually you can make 2-3 shelves in an average-size tepee. Lay some twigs (green, again) across the shelves... this is where your meat will hang. Under the tepee, create a small fire and then add hard wood flakes, dust, etc to the coals. This will create smoke. You want smoke, but no flame. You also want hardwood and not resinous wood because the smoke from pine will ruin the taste of the meat (if not the meat itself, never tried it). Once it begins to smoke, hang your meat from the twigs and enclose the tepee (poncho, spruce bows, etc). You'll need to smoke it for at least 16 hours for it to keep ~a week, 2 days for a month.

A pit is just as it sounds... dig a large rectangular pit, make coals, add hard wood for smoke. Make a green twig framework inside, around the sides of the pit and hang twigs across the framework (similar to the tepee construction but in the ground and rectangular). Add your meat, cover with a poncho or spruce bows.

More meat? Make a walk-in tepee or a very wide pit. :)

After smoking, your strips will crack when bent but not break. Once confirmed, heat your meat in an oven or over a flame to kill any bacteria and worms (since smoking only removes water from the meat, not sterilize it). I think the recommended heat is 160F but you'll probably not bring a meat thermometer with you so just put it in a pan or on a stone and heat until smoke appears.. flip and repeat.

pilgrim
10-15-2007, 11:56 PM
It would depend on the season but If it was this time of year Id start by building a sturdy shelter that could last the winter.

HOP
10-16-2007, 06:29 AM
if you are only going to forage wild stuff expecialy in a group you are going to have to hunt or trap animals with a fatty flesh and also move from place to place, there was a reason that most of the natives wandered it was so that the areas they favored had a chance to recoup. IMO the idea of long term survival means trying to be prepared many of the things we would gather in competetion with the animals. I think most agre that we ned animal flech, in a old time trapping book I have bee hunting for honey was a often practiced skill that might be worth learning might find a bear there too.

wareagle69
10-16-2007, 07:46 PM
why is it long term?

do you have to be tactical or are you able to live and forage in the open?
it is extremely difficult to live off the land just by foraging alone especially alone. let's set up the two scenarios and see who has some in put.

1st out in the open i would build a "cabin" or sort of permanent structure so that i could plant my vegetables both domestic and wild. keep in mind that although the woods are full of wild edibles they are sometimes great distances apart, on my homstead we are transplanting wild foods that we find in our travels and growing them on our 76 acres to have at our disposal.
farming the land essentially is how we would live in an open society.

if you are talking tactical for whatever reason whether it be shtf or maybe you are an outlaw this makes live more diffucult. you better be a one shot one kill or better yet a bow hunter, but how would you cure your meat if you are smoking it kind against the rules plus cooking meat smells good out in the bush so then you must be always on the move with limited stores and what about the off season for wild edibles, the boreal forest is a hard go in the snowy months

looking forward to everyone's input

always be prepared...

explodingearth
10-30-2007, 03:30 AM
im also looking forward to input for wareagles post

jose lobo
10-30-2007, 04:23 AM
are you talking long team in the area you live? in florida? or elsewhere that is a huge factor in what you need.

how long is long term ? 1 year? or more

explodingearth
10-30-2007, 04:28 AM
"if you are talking tactical for whatever reason whether it be shtf or maybe you are an outlaw this makes live more diffucult. you better be a one shot one kill or better yet a bow hunter, but how would you cure your meat if you are smoking it kind against the rules plus cooking meat smells good out in the bush so then you must be always on the move with limited stores and what about the off season for wild edibles, the boreal forest is a hard go in the snowy months" colorado edibles. meat preservation. stealth

Beo
10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
So, define long term, to many it can be a week, a month, or a year. A true survivalist needs no time limit, once you build your cabin sturdy enough to last, and plant crops your pretty much set. Hunting brings the meat, I hunt long bow so thats how I'd go. Now as an outlaw on the run I head for the grand tetons or oxbow in montana. Having spent time in the Grand Tetons I would probably go there. Although the Grand Canyons would do well for hiding out, I have never tried living off the land in the Canyons but I'd give it a shot after some background research and tracking. Yeah I'd actually go to the Tetons for either one. But that's just me.

jose lobo
10-30-2007, 09:58 AM
ya, somewhere like the Tetons, would be much better for long term,
and there are some spots in left in Colorado.. but around the spring, there is no much big brother action,, remeber long term living means fire and smoke 24-7, in Colorado for sure,
so it may be good to a few camps,, and move around more?

so you want to be somewhere where the satellites are not focusing.

it suck to have a great camp set up, and have a helicopter coming and visit you

explodingearth
10-30-2007, 10:29 AM
big brother action hmm? why? and what would happen i mean if i was staying for a long time i would work my way west into no where. but for practices sake id camp the weekends in national parks i mean isnt that part of the parks purpose? why would a camper get spied?

jose lobo
10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
im sorry, it was taking long term, i was on a on a different topic
, if you are ready to go out for weeks at a time, and that what i thing you should do, it is great.. and everyday you will learn the thing you need.. you are on the right track, and you will learn in Florida and Colorado, different skills.. and they are all really important.. if you go to Colorado,, embrace the cold, enjoy it, love it,,,

i miss it so much

Beo
10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I know I said the Tetons, and I love'em, but I may pick long term in Montana... up around the boarder of Canada say between Havre and the boarder so I could move into Canada if I wanted. Although I have never been there I want to go. No Tetons... I'm so confused... ahhghhh!!! :)
Head North young man!!

Smok
11-06-2007, 03:49 AM
Yes I was asking about shtf and I know that most will have fun with this but maybe some will have ears to hear .. there somethings coming drown the pike that are very bad very bad and if you can you should prepare : Oil at $100 a Br. or more and every thing goes up with it , Then the coming Financial Collapse ,some here know that global warming by man only, is not right ,if it was then why is Mars warming as will some think it is Nibiru coming back go and look all of this up there is more but I think I have given you al more then enough to laugh at.. For those how have ears to hear may they hear

Smok
11-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Some of you must be getting a gut feeling that something is dead wrong and you feel that you need to do something . That maybe why you are here on this site

trax
11-06-2007, 04:52 PM
excellent instructions on how to make a smoker (almost the same as what I gave in an earlier thread, probably why I like it so much, lol) I wanted to add also that stove wire is available at most hardware outlets and is vey handy for the construction of the tepee and the shelves for hangng the meat strips from. It's very lightweight and serves many other good uses as well (Bail handles for pots right up front) and it handles the heat very well (it's stove wire!)

dilligaf2u2
11-07-2007, 01:43 AM
I have a pantry that makes the Mormon women jealous. Without the freezers I have food for TDW (The Dear Wife) and I for months. If we do not ration, we could last over six months comfortably.

I do not consider bugging out a first response option. Bugging out is for when the riff raff have all moved out and we can move out at our own pace. The travel foods I have set aside for this. We can move a 60 day supply of food and our gear, on the wagons. Why carry, when you can pull it along? I have seeds to plant and what I consider a good idea of this area and the areas to the north, south, east and west to rely on. I do not worry about the collapse of the economy. Why worry about something that you can not change. I just am prepared for what comes.

I do not live where natural disasters are something to worry about and the winters are mild. NW New Mexico. But I am prepared.

Don