PDA

View Full Version : What Weapon Do YOU Fear the Most

Rick
07-16-2009, 08:04 PM
In honor of Gunner's thread on Go to Guns and Remy's Home Defense Weapon, how about telling us which weapon you fear the most. What do you NOT want to go up against assuming you have to go up against something.

crashdive123
07-16-2009, 08:05 PM
The one aimed at me.

Ken
07-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Do rolling pins count? :blushing:

Rick
07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
It's your hide and your fear.

Ken
07-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Rolling pins it is! :innocent:

Pal334
07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Knives. Have some nasty scars from my misspent youth. I don't know why they bother me so much, I use them, with no problems. Just having them presented in an aggressive manner gives me the chills. Have been able to counter those chills with a judicious presentation of a firearm :)

Mountain Man
07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
The one aimed at me.

:clap: tooook my line.

2dumb2kwit
07-16-2009, 10:08 PM
A woman crying. (That's just fightin' dirty!):blushing:

mcfd45
07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
The pen in our electarded representatives hands.

Ole WV Coot
07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
My own. Especially the shotgun.

Sarge47
07-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Anything sharp, heavy, or loaded in the hands of a drunk, P.O.'d pregnant woman! :cool2:

welderguy
07-17-2009, 12:04 AM
The one I didnt see.

Rick
07-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Knives. Have some nasty scars from my misspent youth. I don't know why they bother me so much, I use them, with no problems. Just having them presented in an aggressive manner gives me the chills. Have been able to counter those chills with a judicious presentation of a firearm

I read a story of a gentleman that was on an elevator. The door opened and a second man stepped on. The first man thought something just didn't seem right so he slid his CCW out of its holster while standing behind the second guy. Sure enough, the elevator door closes and the second guy turns around with a knife. Now he finds himself face to face with a man holding a gun.

"Want to buy a knife?" he asked.

aflineman
07-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Most anything wielded against me tends to make me a bit nervous. I will tell you, trying to sneak into the house after curfew as a teen and hearing my Grandfather rack his 12ga; proved to me the worth of a pump action shotgun for home defense.:whistling:

Pal334
07-17-2009, 04:29 AM
I read a story of a gentleman that was on an elevator. The door opened and a second man stepped on. The first man thought something just didn't seem right so he slid his CCW out of its holster while standing behind the second guy. Sure enough, the elevator door closes and the second guy turns around with a knife. Now he finds himself face to face with a man holding a gun.

"Want to buy a knife?" he asked.

Wasn't the fellow with the CCW being rude? The other fellow was just trying to make a living :) ?

Gunner
07-17-2009, 04:55 AM
A double 12 gauge pointed my way would get my attention. Also the sound of a pump shotgun being racked behind me would work to.

tonester
07-17-2009, 05:30 AM
a lightsaber :saberbattle:
or any other kind of sword/katana/axe

Sourdough
07-17-2009, 06:06 AM
In honor of Gunner's thread on Go to Guns and Remy's Home Defense Weapon, how about telling us which weapon you fear the most. What do you NOT want to go up against assuming you have to go up against something.

Grizzly CLAWS, & Grizzly TEETH, & Grizzly RAGE.

Pict
07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I fear knives more than guns, but its just a primal gut thing.

If you really want to start a fight, try to tie me up. Threaten me all you want with anything you want, you get out a rope and it is ON! I will either kill or die right now before you tie me up. Mac

glockcop
07-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Knives are the worst for me. Quick, quiet, and never needs a reload. Disarming someone with a knife is a pretty tricky thing taking into account that you do not want to get cut while doing it. Once you realize what is going on and the perp is up close it is probably already too late. If you do not act quickly and use PERFECT tactics your gonna get cut. The "21 foot rule" sticks in my mind every time I deal with any "undesireable". Second would be a shotgun. Not much to be explained there. People, good and bad, live through handgun wounds more often than not. Shotguns kill outright most of the time. Not to mention that the surgeons have a much tougher job. Best.

SARKY
07-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Well it certainly is not a handgun as most of the morons out there can't shoot one worth a damm! They kill more people by accident than the people they were aiming(sic) at. Now a shotgun pointed in my direction....well that is another story.

Ole WV Coot
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
For some dumb reason knives don't bother me. Don't know why and have a few scars but I guess as long as I go as normal with a 45, SOG & walking stick plus a little space I'm a happy camper.

doug1980
07-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Hummm well I have several. A tank, A C-130 Gunship, A Nuclear Bomb, A crazy ex wife with anything in her hand. I could go on but that pretty much sums it up.

oldsoldier
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
I have to agree with pal knives would be my first fear next would be a shotgun loaded with buckshot.

DOGMAN
07-17-2009, 05:09 PM
A stake to the heart, a silver cross, or Holy water all make me uneasy

Ken
07-17-2009, 05:44 PM
A stake to the heart, a silver cross, or Holy water all make me uneasy

So Jason, just when did you suffer that head injury? :)

crashdive123
07-17-2009, 05:50 PM
When that coffin lid fell.

Jonesy
07-17-2009, 07:06 PM
A knife in the hands of someone who runs faster than me.

RobertRogers
07-19-2009, 08:53 AM
IGNORANCE

and second to the most, Ignorance.

mountain mama
07-19-2009, 10:20 AM
My husband's ex-wife's car......actually, just my husband's ex-wife alone could count as a weapon, considering her level of insanity

Penokeemtn5
07-19-2009, 10:46 AM
I fear knives more than guns, but its just a primal gut thing.

If you really want to start a fight, try to tie me up. Threaten me all you want with anything you want, you get out a rope and it is ON! I will either kill or die right now before you tie me up. Mac

I'd have to agree with you here.I don't much care for any weapon when it's being used against me,but what actually gets my fear level up is being tied up or restrained in any way for that matter.I don't like my freedom of movement to be hindered.

NightShade
07-19-2009, 12:12 PM
:m107: ok.. well if I had to go up against something I think I would most fear an up close encounter with any SMG or Assault Rifle, as I prefer a bolt action with a powerful scope as my weapon of choice... not a great match up in close

Antifeds
07-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Anything biological.

If I cant see it or smell it order to defend against it, I dont want any part of it.

Nativedude
07-19-2009, 05:33 PM
The human mind. . . .Especially a deranged human mind! :drool: :blink: :cursing: :osama:

You can't see it, smell it, hear it or know what it is thinking until it's too late!

If that isn't the scariest weapon, I don't know what is!?

A gun or knife or bat or any other object isn't a weapon until placed in the hand of the wielder. It takes ones mind to implement any object as a weapon. Until then it is just an object!

Rick
07-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I think RR and NativeDude are tuned in on this one. I was curious how this thread would run but I see everything mentioned as little more than a tool. It takes someone to operate the tool in order for it to be dangerous.

I like your answer, RR, ignorance, that is the lack of education, training or knowledge, can get you killed when the other person has the best of intentions. They might move a neck injury, pull the trigger on a loaded weapon, toss some gas on the fire, any number of things that could seriously injure you or kill you without realizing they are doing. So ignorance is a real threat.

Beyond that, an evil, deranged or even scared mind can be a formidble enemy.

I'm not discounting anyone's answer. If you fear it, you fear it and that makes your answer valid.

SARKY
07-19-2009, 07:02 PM
If you let someone get close enough to you to use a knife.... you screwed up big time!

OICU812
07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I've been cut before and to the bone I might add but the thing about it was as soon as I saw it -it was too late! You do not feel it much right then but the next day coupled with a hang over it hurts pretty bad! This one was enough that I had to go have it stiched up or lose a limb to infection! And were still good buds just to much Tequila sometimes?

Pict
07-19-2009, 10:59 PM
If you let someone get close enough to you to use a knife.... you screwed up big time!

That's true, but only if you know you're up against a knife. A knife can come out of nowhere. From what I've gathered from 12 years in bad neighborhoods in Brazil knife attacks tend to go from 0 to 60 in 1.5 seconds. A scuffle or shoving match can suddenly turn into a stabbing. Talking with people who have been stabbed many of them didn't even realize it until they saw the blood.

Mac

pocomoonskyeyes
07-19-2009, 11:59 PM
A Dangerous mind whatever it's state I'll have to agree with.But when considering the tool they wield it would have to be a long range Sniper rifle. IF you even know it is being used which way is it coming from? Where do I go for cover? The confusion I would go through trying to defend myself is worse than the fear of the weapon(tool) itself. WMD weapons would be the same. I guess it would be any that makes me feel helpless/hopeless.

glockcop
07-20-2009, 12:42 AM

Read what PICT said. You never know when and where the threat may come from. I hope not to offend you but your comment has no basis in reason. Apparently you have no concept of "The Tuller Rule". I suppose you NEVER let anyone within 21 feet of you right? This ,of course, is not feasable in normal everyday life. 21 feet is the RULE to live by. The US Military and Police Academies across the globe teach it. Before you can identify the threat, draw your weapon, acquire your target, and fire an average person can cover those 21 feet and stick you. IT IS FACT! I hope your post was a joke because if not, brother...you have alot to reevaluate in life.

OICU812
07-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Really, what's a Sarky anyway?

crashdive123
07-20-2009, 07:22 PM

He's the guy that knows what hunts you.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
You know when you step in a pile of crap you just wash it off your boots and it just rinses away and really what was the point in washing it off because it will just fall to the ground as you keep walking anyway....sure it stinks because it is crap but it just falls off in the end.

Rick
07-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Usually $24.95 but you can find them on sale.

Ken
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
This knife fight was pretty bad .....

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090720/NEWS/90720006

Rick
07-20-2009, 07:54 PM
"found with multiple stab wounds.......an autopsy will be performed."

Okay. I guess inquiring minds want to know.

endurance
07-20-2009, 08:58 PM
After finishing Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's On Killing today, I would have to say anyone who has watched every one of the Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Haloween series and is addicted to blood and guts video games. It's scary as hell what these things are doing to our kids brains; desensitizing them to the act of killing. Prior to Vietnam, only 15-20% of combat veterans had actually fired on the enemy because we're so innately resistant to killing. Improved training prior to Vietnam led to 90-95% of combat vets firing because they desensitized them to killing during training and improved the realism of training. Unfortunately, the splatter flicks and games are doing the same thing the Army spent millions of dollars developing, but without the discipline, control, and respect for authority overriding the desensitization.

That's what scares me at the moment.

Rick
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM
I really hate to sound like an old codger but I think there is a bit of truth to that. I'm sure EMTs becomes desensitized as do ER folks. You live with it day in and day out so you erect a barrier. I think video games are SO realistic that they do accomplish a desensitizing of the players.

swampmouse
07-20-2009, 11:17 PM
An armed idiot.