PDA

View Full Version : Roadkill

corndog-44
10-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Sometimes called the highway supermarket, roadkill (animals fatal struck by or driven over by vehicles on roads and freeways), if not diseased and sufficiently fresh, is entirely safe to eat. A number of cookbooks specifically for roadkill have been written.

A problem with eating road kill is the tendency for small particles of bone from impact to be embedded in the surrounding tissue. This is especially common in multiple hit road kill.

Would you eat roadkill? or have you ate roadkill? I have thought about it but I haven't ate any yet...maybe if I got hungry enough I would. On second thought, naaaw, don't think so.

LadyTrapper
10-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Guilty!.....yep, but it was fresh and hit by the car ahead of us. Pheasant it was and we ate it that night for supper. Not cause we was low on groceries or anything, but just because they is good eatin. Hate to see waste and rather than let him rot on the side of the road, he had a place of honor in my roasting pan. Other than that, roadkill deer always make me really nervous for the points you mention and very bruised bloodshot/clotted meat.
Safety note to mention.... any really fresh roadkill should be stored in a closed trunk as it may just be unconscious rather than expired. Had this happen to a friend of mine with a bobcat!!! in the back seat!!! LOL Some really do have nine lives HA!

During winter months, when fur and coats are prime, we salvage coons, fox, coyote etc if the pelts are not marked too bad and skin them out for auction or personal use.
Good Topic!

HOP
10-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Deer for sure just examine the meat for freshness , other animals as your taste runs or how much you need the meat. The are programs in many states they have a local list of people who will take deer this way.

wareagle69
10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
i think my only concern would be contamination from internal injury broken intestines nad such

sam30248
10-14-2007, 02:04 AM
i would in survival i would do anything to survive you would also need to have the will to survive

MCBushbaby
10-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Come the fall, we get a ton (literally) of deer carcasses on the roadside. I probably wouldn't eat varmint roadkill just because they'll be run over about a dozen times before I get to them. Deer, on the other hand, are hit once, "Holy crap Johnson you hit a deer! Let's move it off to the side so we can get past." So as long as they're fresh, I'll pick away at them. Though this is illegal is my county..