PDA

View Full Version : shot shell ?

welderguy
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I bought a bag of shot shells from a family member a while back, and finally got a chance to go thru them.
Most of the 12ga and 410 look ok, but the 20 ga and 16 ga look like they were old old old.
How can i tell if there still usable or how old they might be.
BTW these arent hulls there loaded shells.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
You'll just have to try them and see... I have shot some really old ones heck never had a misfire with a shotgun shell period. Even duck season they all still worked after a week in rain sleet and snow. I have some paper shells and I am sure they fire just fine.

SARKY
07-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Just so long as they aren't falling apart and the brass isn't corroded through. you should be good to go.

Pict
07-16-2009, 07:56 AM
If they are the old paper shells they could be worth something to a collector. They will go off if they look good. That is pretty much the general rule with old ammo. If it looks like ammo, it is. If it's corroded and rusty it will still go off, its just dangerous.

We used to run cases of STEN ammo from WW2 through various subguns and it always worked fine. I had a case of Eqyptian ammo from the 50's that wouldn't go off in a handgun but worked great in any smg, hard primers, but it was still gtg. Mac

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-16-2009, 10:38 AM
I think they may be worth something. I have one full box in mint condition. It is old Winchester 12ga. Dove and Quail shortbrass. I think it is number 7 shot. The box is yellow and white with blue writing and the classic pic of a pheasant. Any idea what they may be worth?