PDA

View Full Version : weather forcasting

wareagle69
10-13-2007, 09:24 AM
as we have covered many times, saving energy is important, so lets say that you are in a situation where you have to go and cannot stay. already covered elsewhere. so when on the move you do not always need to stop and build a shelter would waste much needed energy so what techniques have you learned to predict weather.

a couple of mine are if at night with clear skies you see a halo around the moon within 72 hrs you will have some sort of precipitation, maybe allot maybe not but that has proven true for me.

also look a plane contrails if they are short and choppy and do not last long then the atmosphere is dry no precip close.
if they are very thick and long lasting then lots of moisture in the air great possibility of precipitation.

other theories i have been looking at are about winter but that's another thread..

MCBushbaby
10-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Weather forecasting has always been something I'd want to learn, but never had the need or time. Usually any given weather event is nothing I can't handle but it would be nice to anticipate rain a day or so in advance. I bring along a tiny barometer on my longer hikes and estimate weather changes by that; suppose that suffices for now. :)

Does anyone have some good links for this type of education?

corndog-44
10-13-2007, 02:42 PM
“When leaves turn their back ‘tis a sign it’s going to rain.”

Some trees, such as oak and maple, have leaves that will curl when the humidity is very high and the wind is blowing strongly. Both these conditions indicate an approaching storm.

owl_girl
10-13-2007, 03:24 PM
I heard the leaves turn back when there thirsty. But maybe I was wrong.
Usual I just smell the rain coming, and if the wind is warm and whirly that’s usually a good indicator that there’s a storm building, especially if its humid.

LadyTrapper
10-13-2007, 03:35 PM
I also watch they leaves and they have proven over the years to be very accurate. Sometimes you can just simply "feel" the rain in the air or weary ol' bones LOL

sam30248
10-14-2007, 01:34 AM
i also watch the leaves and the sky , i also pay attention to the animals

Sarge47
10-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I check the "Weather channel" frequently and carry a small NOAA radio.;)

TOOLTIME
08-25-2008, 09:02 PM
When I Am In My Front Yard, I Can Smell The Rain Drains Out In The Road. Low Is Coming In And In Most Cases...rain.

snakeman
08-26-2008, 07:16 PM
You can always rely on the weather rock. If the rock is wet, it rained. If dry, It did not.:D

Atomic
08-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Sometimes it will cool off several degrees just before it rains.

chiggersngrits
08-26-2008, 10:38 PM
aint there some old naval saying like, red sky at night sailors delight, red sky in morning sailors warning.

Rick
08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Here are some other threads on predicting the weather:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1631&highlight=predicting+weather

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2893&highlight=predict+weather

And other links embedded within these. All sorts of folk stories and real ways to forecast the weather. Good reading!!

jrock24
08-27-2008, 11:25 AM
the weather channel on my cb works pretty good.

bulrush
08-28-2008, 08:09 AM
I have an Indian weather stick and it goes something like this:
- If you can see stick, it sunny.
- If stick wet, it raining.
- If stick white, it snowing.
- If stick moving, it windy.
- If stick on fire, you better get the f**k out of the forest because it's on fire.

Rick
08-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Getting your fork out of burning forest would really be important especially if it's made of plastic. Not so bad with metal.;)

nell67
08-28-2008, 05:39 PM
I have an Indian weather stick and it goes something like this:
- If you can see stick, it sunny.
- If stick wet, it raining.
- If stick white, it snowing.
- If stick moving, it windy.
- If stick on fire, you better get the f**k out of the forest because it's on fire.

Thats cute bulrush!gonna have to get me an Indian stick;)

Proud American
08-28-2008, 07:53 PM
After reading this article the best way to prodict the weather is with a barometer. The only thing I found on making a barometer from scratch was stuff that you cant find in the wild(though you could put this in your pack if it was a long term camping or hiking exursion). Sorry couldn't be much help.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Simple-Weather-Barometer

Rick
08-29-2008, 07:46 AM
I actually carry a barometer with me where ever I go. It's called arthritis.:D

Assassin Pilot
08-29-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/weather.forecasting/image.01.jpg