PDA

View Full Version : birds?

toughsord
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
i know you can eat things like chicken, duck, turkey, and goose but what about things like robin, stork, and crow. i was thinking buzzard but it really isnt to appatizing with what it eats. and would a blow gun made of PVC pipe and darts made of feathers, tape, and toothpicks or paperclip.

Rick
07-13-2009, 02:37 PM
There are no poisonous birds or mammals in North America. Some taste better than others but all are edible.

To your question on a PVC blow gun, yes. There are a couple of threads on it already. You can use the Search feature and type in "blowguns". You'll get a half dozen threads.

Ken
07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I prefer pelicans, penguins, pigeons, and parakeets.

2dumb2kwit
07-13-2009, 05:52 PM
I like Larks, Loons, and Lovebirds.
(Lovebirds can be tuff......you want the young ones.):innocent:

toughsord
07-14-2009, 01:38 AM
I prefer pelicans, penguins, pigeons, and parakeets.

um when did you eat penguins and parakeets????????? and larks and loons are i belive actually a delicasy. so what would crows, buzzards, and robins taste like??

Born2Late
07-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Ate a Peacock once.Shot it with a slingshot out of a tree and the Spaniel took it down.I think it died of old age before the dog got it.It was one tough old bird,nice feathers though.All birds in Africa are edible,some more tasty than others.Small birds you pack in mud and bake in the coals.When they are done you remove the mud and all the feathers come off with the mud.You can bake hedgehog like that as well.All the spines come out with the mud.

Ravnari86
07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Just be sure with buzzards to handle them with extreme care. It's a necessity to remove the innards, and VERY carefully. Puncturing that GI tract could infect your meat with some real nasty buggers. As with any scavenger, you also want to make sure it's well cooked. Aside from that, it's a great meal. They've got plenty of meat on them, and it's kind of like a turkey's meat.

Sarge47
07-14-2009, 02:09 PM
so what would crows, buzzards, and robins taste like??They taste like Chicken! :innocent: No, actually they taste like crows, buzzards, & Robins! Toughsord you've started 3 threads on killing & eating fish, birds, and small, furry animals; are you into survival or just hungry?:cool2:

Ravnari86
07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm with sarge on that one. ;) Three threads on food. I'm sure we could just find a KFC around if you really want fowl that badly.

toughsord
07-14-2009, 03:44 PM
i really wnat to know because my area has no shortage of edibles , so if im going to spend a day gathering and hunting i want a good survival meal. and as for the daisy pellet gun there is alot of hills and very rough terrain around me. i want the littest pack i can get

Mountain Man
07-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Every blujay I've shot has been eaten or in pieces/feathers the next morning... racoons, etc must love them.

And if I`m not careful... my darn dog will eat one.

Sarge47
07-16-2009, 04:12 PM
i really wnat to know because my area has no shortage of edibles , so if im going to spend a day gathering and hunting i want a good survival meal. and as for the daisy pellet gun there is alot of hills and very rough terrain around me. i want the littest pack i can getIt's NOT a "survival meal" unless you're in a "survival situation". Besides, in extreme weather, those "edibles" may not be available. :cool2:

toughsord
07-16-2009, 08:34 PM
year round there is rabbits. creek fish and crawdads until the water freezes over. berries in summer and early fall. onions year rounds. and alot of other wild edibles. i have a good selection year round. and numerous times ive done such survival simulators that i have only a few items

Ken
07-16-2009, 08:37 PM
year round there is rabbits. creek fish and crawdads until the water freezes over. berries in summer and early fall. onions year rounds. and alot of other wild edibles. i have a good selection year round. and numerous times ive done such survival simulators that i have only a few items

You are stroking us, aren't ya'? :sneaky2:

toughsord
07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
stroking??? if you mean like kidding or joking then not really. i do have all that stuff and deer but you cant normaly use those for survival