PDA

View Full Version : Sad Story - Sad Firearms

Ken
07-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Sad story. A client called today - his brother-in-law, age 40, collapsed and died while jogging earlier this week.

Nobody in the family had a firearms license, and there were 5 guns in the house. He asked me to come and pick them up. I did so, and notified the local P.D. that I had taken possession of all five. Required transfer paperwork will be completed as necessary.

There were three .22 cal. rifles - each was all rusted in spots and beaten up. One Bryco .380, which was the only one in great condition considering that it was a piece of junk on the day it was manufactured. And a S&W .357 with considerable exterior rust as well.

What a shame that these firearms weren't cared for properly. Except for the Bryco .380, although it doesn't matter because it was a piece of junk on the day it was manufactured.

I'm gonna' get them all over to a gunsmith friend to see what it will take to clean these things up - maybe re-bluing or whatever, or else just sell them on consignment and give the family the money. No matter what, I'm getting rid of the Bryco .380, because it was a piece of junk on the day it was manufactured anyway.

Why don't people take care of their weapons?

crashdive123
07-10-2009, 09:05 PM
So, tell us how you feel about the Bryco .380?

Ken
07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
So, tell us how you feel about the Bryco .380?

Okay, since you asked........ :innocent:

In my humble opinion, The Bryco .380 was a piece of junk on the day it was manufactured.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172200

Jendeere
07-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Ok, I thought the part about the man dying was sad:blushing: But yeah, why do people have guns if they aren't going to take care of them?

OICU812
07-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Ah yes, the old death by rusty guns syndrome, happens all the time.

Pal334
07-11-2009, 05:05 AM
When you get a chance, can you share your thoughts on the Bryco? If the "smithy" can clean up the S&W you may want to think about getting it parkerized. I try to have all of mine done that way. I don't care for shiny babbles, and it is easy to care for. Just a thought

Rick
07-11-2009, 05:52 AM
why do people have guns if they aren't going to take care of them?

Good question for any tool.

Ole WV Coot
07-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Bryco .380 carried one for years as a backup. Great gun I guess, very light carried unloaded. I got mine at a yard sale, lady gave me $20 to take it. Have never fired it but as a backup it has worked great on everything my Beretta 45 won't handle. I highly recommend the Bryco to everyone who just wants a weapon you can carry and not worry about hurting someone.

trax
07-11-2009, 04:59 PM
The sheer poetic brilliance of the Cootism shines through again. I agree with Rick, why do people let any tool fall into such a state of dis-repair, pathetic. If the Bryco is that bad to begin with, that's probably why it was in the best shape of the lot, dude never took it out of the house.

2dumb2kwit
07-11-2009, 08:30 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172200

Umm.....Ken......You know that's another forum......Right?:innocent:

2dumb2kwit
07-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Good question for any tool.

Wait....are you calling the people that let their guns rust, tools...or....oh, never mind. :)

Sarge47
07-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Remember that Ken is our self-appointed "Quality Control" dude & is looking over us for our own safety. :innocent: that being said, here's a 2nd link:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guns-Firearms-Projectile-1501/2008/7/Bryco-380-Automatic.htm :cool2:

crashdive123
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Remember that Ken is our self-appointed "Quality Control" dude & is looking over us for our own safety. :innocent: that being said, here's a 2nd link:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guns-Firearms-Projectile-1501/2008/7/Bryco-380-Automatic.htm :cool2:

Well it sounds like Nicole with her "clip" and mysterious six digit number on the Bryco and the Bryco deserve each other.

2dumb2kwit
07-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I do agree, about the gun/tool abuse, though.
The other day, I saw a Swiss sawback bayonet, that was so rusted that it just looked like a piece of scrap metal in a junk yark. (nearly broke my heart.):blushing:

Jendeere
07-11-2009, 09:30 PM
A few years ago my father in law gave my husband his grandfather's .38. The patent on it is from the 1860's and it was in pretty bad shape. I think my father in law gave it to my hubby since he figured it was useless. Hubby cleaned it up and took it to the gunsmith, he said it just needed something minor to actually fire. Sad nobody cared enough to take care of it before now.

crashdive123
07-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I do agree, about the gun/tool abuse, though.
The other day, I saw a Swiss sawback bayonet, that was so rusted that it just looked like a piece of scrap metal in a junk yark. (nearly broke my heart.):blushing:

That's some of the kind of stuff I look for in yard sales and flea markets. I can pick em up for a song and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction restoring them to a useful condition.

2dumb2kwit
07-11-2009, 09:46 PM
That's some of the kind of stuff I look for in yard sales and flea markets. I can pick em up for a song and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction restoring them to a useful condition.

I passed on it, but only because I know that a lot of guys with better skills than I have, go in the shop that it was in. I would rather someone that can do it justice, have it.:)