PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Tactic

corndog-44
10-11-2007, 03:53 AM
Here's a tactic that I use to take spooked squirrels using a hickory nut shell. I use a .22 rifle, same as I do for rabbits.

So I am at the tree and there are fresh cuttings on the forest floor beneath the tree. I watched the tree carefully on my approach. The squirrel (squirrels) saw me coming and has taken refuge with the tree trunk or a large limb between me. What I do? Well I find a spot where I can see the possible escape avenues and a good view of the tree. Then I find a comfortable place to sit a fair distance from the tree. The more I see the better, but I also have to be at least partially hidden. I sit without movement, at least 15 minutes or longer. If that doesn't bring action, I get a hickory nut out of my pocket, which I picked up earlier, and scrape the nut shell to produce a light, raspy noise with my pocket knife. After a long spell of quiet this will cause a spooked squirrel to get active again or it will raise it's head just a little to see what was making the noise. That was all I needed.

There are, of course, many tricks that take spooked squirrels; what are your tricks?

LadyTrapper
10-11-2007, 06:38 AM
LOL...yes those spooked squirrels have the patience of a saint. They scurry all over the place very brazen in my yard until the .410 comes out. Let me tell ya, they can outsit even the most determined hunter.
The last trick I used was pretty simple but played on the greediness of the little dude. I through out an old piece of bread. However I still have to wait 20 minutes before he bolted out for it, and I had to remain hidden the whole time.
We have only the little red squirrel where we live, what kinds do you all have?

carcajou garou
10-11-2007, 07:24 AM
One tactic for squirrels I use is I grasp a nickle with my left fore finger and thumb at the same time cupping my left hand to make a resonance chamber. I take a second nickle and start tapping the first nickle to sound like the bark of a squirrel. Doesn't take long for a territorial squirrel to come and dispute the invasion to his area.

trax
10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I'd have to be really hungry to bother killing squirrels, some folks swear that they're really tasty mind you, I've just never bothered nor had much inclination too. Most of them don't get all that big where I'm from as I've seen them in other areas, too.

Of course, I have to admit that I am very fortunate in coming from an area that has always been rich in wildlife. Ptarmigan, ruffed grouse, rabbit, and walleye and perch in the waters.

They certainly are territorial though, I've watched them scrap and chase each other around over territorial rights.

owl_girl
10-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Where I live we have both red squirrels and gray oh and black. The reds are half the size of the grays but yet the grays are terrified of the reds because of there territorial ferocity.

Hey trax, the grays don’t seem to be that territorial where I live so are you referring to the little reds?

corndog-44
10-11-2007, 02:22 PM
In terms of squirrel hunting, there are two types that are worth hunting in Indiana: grey and fox. We also have the little red squirrel.

trax
10-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Yes, the little red fellas, they're also prone to drug abuse when given the opportunity.